(shouting)

The Hooray: Nancy replaces Kood in A3XT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

The Hooray: Nancy replaces Kood in A3XT

Post by Mata Hari »

First ep
Episode 2
THE GRAND FINALE

Interesting mix of gimmicks and... not gimmicks. The non-gimmicks are kind of Mario Maker-esque in my mind but the good way. The ones that people actually try to make fun to play.

I also don't understand the name of the romhack, but that's fine
Ometeotl

Re: The Hooray: Nancy is huge

Post by Ometeotl »

By just 2 minutes.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Ometeotl wrote:By just 2 minutes.

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Rude
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

These series of calm interludes are pretty nice...
The

baseball bat

has the potential to make some of the largest romps seen yet, as seen in this video.

I have to say that I didn't expect a sudden character change there. I don't see this hack becoming too difficult, due to it being sports season, and Mario being a sports prodigy. He sets everything on fire in sports! Including his enemies... which get shunted into electric fences. (Shunting people into electric fences is incredibly rude. No wonder Bowser wants to foil Mario/get his chance to do so himself...)
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Music in Forest of Flight
Music in Rex Rock! Let's Go!
I didn't put it up anywhere, but the song in Baseball Yard is called something like "About Tofu Man...". I also composed that. I'm aware my own music isn't very good but at least I made the attempt!

On that note, I should give a heads-up way in advance that the last level has vanilla music.

I'm glad that rao is visibly enjoying playing the game and everyone visibly enjoys watching the play thus far!
video games
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

whoa here's a romp thing
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

hey ive played this one

based on my experience with this hack it's pretty easy, but still fun. though i really don't like how luigi is gameplay wise a worse character than mario because it should be the other way around
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Man this hack is great, Nancy is great, the baseball bat is great. One interesting short hack after another.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I expect Yoshi to get a lot of fish from the ocean. Especially since the preferred fishing place seems to be far away.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

The ideas are pretty cool and look fun to play through, but most of the level design seems to be "go forward without any real obstacles in your way", which became kind of boring after a while.

It sort of feels like a "first hack" where you just kind of put some floors and random koopas everywhere and don't pay much attention to enemy placement and whatnot, but with a lot more advanced gimmicks and ASM trickery involved.

It's a nice romp for such a short hack, although I'm pretty sure this style of level design would get boring in the context of a larger project...
Maybe it's just because these were the introductory levels though, and it picks up in the next video or so
this is getting laundromatic
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Yoshi, if you don't want people randomly wandering into your house, you might want to consider investing in walls.
Elephant Parade

Post by Elephant Parade »

Man, that baseball bat is really neat. I could see Nancy-style flight making for a good temporary (P-Balloon-style) power-up, too.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

I guess since the topic is brought up, I might as well explain the philosophy with these first few levels (and the hack in general).

Now, it might seem easy, and relatively to a lot of other things it indeed is. But I consider that far from being an actual problem - no matter how easy the game turns out, someone, somewhere will be challenged by it. And as it turns out, most of my friends who actually do play a lot of Mario games, while testing, did have their struggles even in the early levels.

Making it accessible was actually a goal of mine, and I feel that the game, while easy relatively to a lot of other romhacks, is still too difficult for that to be the case.

But either way, it being too easy or too difficult to the hands on the controller is entirely not a problem. In fact, I find that relying solely on challenge is a risky thing, as it's such a subjective variable on the part of the player. There's always someone who'll find the game too easy, and someone who'll find the game frustratingly difficult.

... So instead, I went with another kind of appeal, which while still being subjective, seemed more reliable to me.
The first tool in the kit is the surprises. Just the first level, where it gives you 3 flowers - I made sure to place them near the top of the screen, so the player is more likely to notice that there's something unusual about the item box. Then they'd be confused and wonder what the heck is up with it, until the next level gives more detail or they figure it out. That moment of confusion, I consider is a big part of the positive experience - it awakens that sort of curiosity in the player.

The second tool I used is just flat-out being open. Obstacles would preferrably not have an 'intended' way to go about them; just suggestions. I actually like that the player finds their own ways to go about things, especially if it's not intended - as long as it's fun. There's actually plenty of neat things that were found during testing - things that were unintentional, but I thought it was really cool so I kept it in. Even observing players' thought processes during testing made me think "hey, I could add this here" - for example, the P-switch-activated ? Blocks and the bonus room that lead to the first level's secret exit weren't there in version 1.0 at all (you had to fly up there from the left side). I just got the idea to do it from seeing someone trying it, and being disappointed that it wasn't a thing.

It's not absolutely foolproof, but that's just the way I go about these things.
video games
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

So this hack is hella rompy after JUMP, Hack 3, and CoC. I guess this time Mario's going on ANOTHER vacation to go fishing. There seems to be a lack of proper fishing though so I think Mario's screwed up his vacation plans again and that's why he'll shrug and let Luigi and Kood do something while he sleeps in come Drama Mistery 2.

...I might be going too far with the vacation jokes now.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You should switch to Luigi and give him a chance. I thought that would be what you do when you replayed that one level.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So is the ASM stuff in this game all done by the author? Cause that stuff is pretty interesting, but the levels just really do not take advantage of the gimmicks. They're basically just hills and early game enemies.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Ashan wrote:but the levels just really do not take advantage of the gimmicks. They're basically just hills and early game enemies.
Yeah, that's my exact feeling so far. I think it's fair to say that the baseball level was supposed to be like this (i.e. walk right and smack the ever-living shit out of everything for fun), but the flight level really left a lot to be desired. I'm curious to see if the later levels are built around the gimmicks a bit more than these first couple.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: The Hooray: Nancy is huge!

Post by Kilgamayan »

The baseball bat is the most incredible SMW gimmick ever.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bud8Amp88
Location: East of raocow, west of Newfiebangaa...not sure how much that helps...

Re: The Hooray: Nancy is huge!

Post by Bud8Amp88 »

Oh man, this. Played it on stream a few weeks back on Mandew's recommendation, and while it's not a technical masterpiece, it's a fun romp (which, even he admitted was the point). It'll probably only take rao another couple videos to finish, considering I streamed it start to finish in less than 45 minutes.

Also, there's a Drama Mystery 2??? I'm not even sure you can find the first one around anymore...
I'm A raocow Guy

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bud8Amp88
Game Anyone: [url]htp://www.gameanyone.com/user/Bud8Amp88[/url]
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/bud8amp88
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: The Hooray: Luigi is the original character, not Nancy, Nancy is in every Mario game

Post by Friendly Dictator »

This hack is really cute! I love these videos where raocow plays easier games
Mandew
d'yo

Re: The Hooray: Luigi is the original character, not Nancy, Nancy is in every Mario game

Post by Mandew »

Music in SINKING FEELING...
Original version of the song that is in RAINY REVELATIONS
GARBAGE(TM) LOL (yoshi paw)

Music in Muncher Tunnel is actually a port of Mario Kart DS' music, Yoshi Falls by Gamma V.

I hope you're having fun, rao! I realize now that this must be like, way below your league when it comes to difficulty. I hope that wasn't a hindrance to any experience.
Also thank you so much for taking the time to do the play the game make happen!
video games
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This one isn't really doing much for me.

It seems... Aimless with it's gimmicks most of the time?

You can chalk that up to design philosophy all you want, but it's really not gelling with me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Grounder wrote:This one isn't really doing much for me.

It seems... Aimless with it's gimmicks most of the time?

You can chalk that up to design philosophy all you want, but it's really not gelling with me.
I can see that, personally. It hasn't really been doing it for me either. I was thinking yesterday that maybe there's just going to be a difficulty curve, but after today I kinda think there isn't one. There's nothing wrong with this kind of difficulty but the whole hack does have this aimless feeling about it. I don't want to say certain parts didn't have thought put into them, but that's the feeling I get.

I will say, at least it isn't Soldexus. I'd rather a game be aimless and easy than focused and kinda broken.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!