(shouting)

The Hooray: Nancy replaces Kood in A3XT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: The Hooray: Luigi is the original character, not Nancy, Nancy is in every Mario game

Post by Ashan »

I think people are using "romp" to excuse pretty lackluster level design. The most interesting level has been the one with the jumping munchers, but even then, it didn't really do anything interesting with it. The Lakitu level has been the absolute worst so far. It was literally just flat ground for like 2 minutes, with random clusters of blocks laid out, all at the same height, and random pipes with Lakitus in them, and then every once in a while there's be a lineup of like 10 Spinies.
Divemissile

Re: The Hooray: Luigi is the original character, not Nancy, Nancy is in every Mario game

Post by Divemissile »

i wonder what raocow's going to be doing in the next video considering that

the next level is the last one in the whole game. return of voxatron maybe?

alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

So this hack is just doing things, huh? Nothing much to it.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Divemissile wrote:

return of voxatron maybe?

I certainly hope not. That's the one lp of raocow's I consistently skip. Even Big Fish Legends is better.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The gimmick on he last level today was especially clever. I've not seen a muncher tunnel like that before. Seems to work really well too and makes for a nice effect.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

This hack is adorable, but it has hungry munchers D:

I have a friend who I constantly swap art with and he's been drilling it into my head for about eight years now that simplicity can be a strength, especially if you're good at it. I stubbornly tell him I don't want to be simplistic as an artist/designer, but, I know he's right :t And I get that same feeling from this ROM hack. The case of "judge it for what it is, not what it isn't" and what it is is cute, easygoing, and fun. And it wants you to have fun. That's the impression I get.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Money

Post by Money »

yeah like i hesitate to call this the best designed hack or whatever, but i'd be lying if i said i didnt have the biggest grin on my face watching it
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Well, that hack sure happened?

Zombie Zombie Zombie A2MT was honestly more interesting for me to watch.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: The Hooray: Nancy x Demo best supporting cast

Post by TaviTurnip »

So The Hooray had a balanced gender cast of two and two all along :O

I already said what I had to say about it an hour ago, so that holds :P The total size of this hack makes me think it was, coincidentally, a demo. Like as in the old normal-world definition of a demo; a short game to tease the player about the full version. Especially since it was introducing concepts right up to the end. I'd be totally happy to see another hack made in the same spirit that was 3-4 times larger. Thanks for make, Mandew!

Incidentally, that was my favorite level of A2MT, so go figure. I'm almost certain that version was different from the version played in the LP of A2MT though.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

TaviTurnip wrote:This hack is adorable, but it has hungry munchers D:

I have a friend who I constantly swap art with and he's been drilling it into my head for about eight years now that simplicity can be a strength, especially if you're good at it. I stubbornly tell him I don't want to be simplistic as an artist/designer, but, I know he's right :t And I get that same feeling from this ROM hack. The case of "judge it for what it is, not what it isn't" and what it is is cute, easygoing, and fun. And it wants you to have fun. That's the impression I get.
That was actually kinda mentioned in the latest Jimquisition, funny enough.

https://youtu.be/bJF4g0gkMOg?t=5m30s
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Again, thank you so so much for playing, raocow!

You were really happy playing it, and a lotta people were happy watching this. That makes me super happy too! The fact that someone with almost a decade of playing ROMhacks under his belt can still obstencibly enjoy this... It makes me feel like I managed some way towards the goal of making this enjoyable for both peeps who are really into romhacks and those who just sometimes play SMW.

And trust me, of all the people I've seen play it, you are by far the one who had the least trouble with it. I'm absolutely not fooled by the fact that you didn't die up until the last level -- the hack is easy, but not actually to the point of being a romp for everyone playing.

I should really still go for that goal of just making something enjoyable, while still trying new things and improving.

I've seen more things to revise on that last level now, but also for the overworld. I'll probably remove the little bridgy thing and try to make it more clear that that level is the last one of the video game (and I'll also need to remove those events causing the VRAM level dots to happen).

But yeah, again, thank you so so much for playing it, and thanks you all for watching rao play it!!
video games
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

SAJewers wrote:
TaviTurnip wrote:This hack is adorable, but it has hungry munchers D:

That was actually kinda mentioned in the latest Jimquisition, funny enough.

https://youtu.be/bJF4g0gkMOg?t=5m30s
This same friend has been slowly getting me into Jim Sterling, and I haven't seen this, so this is some hilarious timing. Will watch, thanks :o
Divemissile

Re: The Hooray: Nancy replaces Kood in A3XT

Post by Divemissile »

this isnt voxatron wtf im unsubbing

this is hack is really fun, and the gimmicks are creative. i'd honestly like to see a version that would expand on these more though, as they felt underdeveloped.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yeah, that was pretty decent. After seeing the remaining levels, I still stand by my earlier opinion (i.e. interesting ASM usage, but needs some work on making the levels + gimmicks themselves a bit more fleshed out). There's definitely some serious potential for a larger-scale game here though.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Ultimately, I think Hooray just needed to work around its gimmicks a little more. If you have a gimmick, it needs to be used and not just, well, "there".

The brief return of the revenge of the zombie that is A2MT was something. I don't overly remember that level, but then again the zombie A2MT LP was like... over a year ago? I almost want to rewatch it just to reevaluate all the levels and whatnot, but nah. Best let sleeping zombies lie.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

I agree with what Tavi and a few others said, yeah it may not be the most challenging thing in the world, but it honestly looked pretty fun and charming. Also I think it says something that raocow had trouble making himself stop playing in the second episode =P
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Validon98 wrote:Ultimately, I think Hooray just needed to work around its gimmicks a little more. If you have a gimmick, it needs to be used and not just, well, "there".

The brief return of the revenge of the zombie that is A2MT was something. I don't overly remember that level, but then again the zombie A2MT LP was like... over a year ago? I almost want to rewatch it just to reevaluate all the levels and whatnot, but nah. Best let sleeping zombies lie.
is it worth watching the a2mt lp, i think its the only one I haven't watched through
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Nekoishi wrote:is it worth watching the a2mt lp, i think its the only one I haven't watched through
If you're interested in seeing everything the game could have been and where it fell short in dozens of places. It's not raocow's happiest LP but it's not some kind of gross failure as a series either. You just have to be prepared for what it ends up being. (My answer is that every raocow LP is worth watching if you like raocow, so.)
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I really enjoyed this LP. This whole run of short little hacks following JUMP has been really fun to watch. Getting to see Nancy and Kood (and hopefully Jowey?) in consecutive LPs will also be nice. It's too bad Dunce isn't around, too.

I'm also glad the fish was really a duck.
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

This was a neat little hack! It was actually really refreshing to see a buncha cool, rompy levels with neat gimmicks after the blistering difficulty that was JUMP (not that I didn't enjoy JUMP, but man, that end- and post-game was something else!).

Haha, I vote we have a romhack/SMBX episode that stars Kood, Nancy, and Toadshans (from Dark Star Adventure) among others. X)
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

LovelyPenguin wrote:This was a neat little hack! It was actually really refreshing to see a buncha cool, rompy levels with neat gimmicks after the blistering difficulty that was JUMP (not that I didn't enjoy JUMP, but man, that end- and post-game was something else!).

Haha, I vote we have a romhack/SMBX episode that stars Kood, Nancy, and Toadshans (from Dark Star Adventure) among others. X)
<_<... Where is Toadette? Toadette wants a screentime also.