(shouting)

Call of Cthulhu - A casual vacation in R'lyeh

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Call of Cthulhu - A casual vacation in R'lyeh

Post by Mikkofier »

8bitgamer123 wrote:but the real question is what happened to mario's hat
It's perfectly logical: in the beginning it said that this is a dream Mario is having. Do you sleep with your hat on? Of course not!
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Reecer7 wrote:The music in Non-Euclidean Path is top notch!
If you don't know from where the music is, it's from Terranigma, the Underworld Theme.
Here's a nice remix of it:
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Speaking of "red stars", the bonus counter appears to b a kitty cat counter. I have no idea if raocow stated this on-screen because I am sleep deprived, but I didn't take notice of it at all until that message box >.>
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Cthulhu Fhtagn, what a wonderful phrase
Cthulhu Fhtagn, ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem free philosophy, Cthulhu Fhtagn
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Wasn't Hack 3 a break between JUMP and "long hack" coming after? If the Cat Coin counter is any indication... we're almost done with this one too?
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

The fourth cat coin in today's second level was definitely NOT there the first time raocow went through. What can make a dragon/cat coin unexpectedly disappear like that?

Also, I notice that the game actually did give raocow a checkpoint when he died in the star section - it put him right back at the beginning of that same section. Odd that a death there gives that kind of leeway when a death anywhere else dumps you back at the very start of the game.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

no I would have had to restart: you where rused by my editing and live-narrating skills, I'm afraid!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

That's hilarious, raocow!
video games
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow wrote:no I would have had to restart: you where rused by my editing and live-narrating skills, I'm afraid!
...indeed, I am a goof and didn't think to check the cat coin counter. I was all like "oh man he died and respawned and his lives went down by 1 and everything" but I didn't stop to think "wait he got that extra life from getting the last cat, which he got again after he 'died,' SHENANIGANS" and whatnot. Color me sufficiently rused!
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Mikkofier wrote:
It's perfectly logical: in the beginning it said that this is a dream Mario is having. Do you sleep with your hat on? Of course not!
But...
dont wanna jihad no more
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Maybe Mario was trying to sleep without a nightcap and, well, you can see the results for yourself...
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm not sure if peeps who where telling me the boss is super easy were trying to dupe me, or if I was unlucky, or what, but, uhm. Uhm.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

raocow wrote:I'm not sure if peeps who where telling me the boss is super easy were trying to dupe me, or if I was unlucky, or what, but, uhm. Uhm.
Not the hardest thing in the world, but if they told you it was super easy, then you got diddled buddy.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

raocow having trouble with a custom boss? Water being wet?? Bears shitting in woods?!
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Mata Hari wrote:raocow having trouble with a custom boss? Water being wet?? Bears shitting in woods?!
years of commercials have convinced me that bears do not, in fact, shit in the woods, but in toilets
PlatinumTriforce
Professional Profanity Practitioner

Post by PlatinumTriforce »

Did raocow make a Scarlet Letter reference in today's episode? Hahaha wow, never thought I'd be reminded of high school English class like that
peteyboo wrote:Platinum vs. raocow vs. myself triple battle at the same time

48 hours straight of Hyper VII. Whoever beats it first wins!
I love it.

Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

And so suddenly we were eaten by a thing and someone wants to wake up or something, I dunno.

Lovecraft is weird like that or something I dunno.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:Wasn't Hack 3 a break between JUMP and "long hack" coming after?
I don't think the voting was done until after HACK 3 had already started, so we had no idea if the next game would be long. I could be wrong, though.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Nekoishi wrote:years of commercials have convinced me that bears do not, in fact, shit in the woods, but in toilets
What'd you think the portapotties at campgrounds are for? The campers? Hah, yeah right!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Nekoishi wrote:
Mata Hari wrote:raocow having trouble with a custom boss? Water being wet?? Bears shitting in woods?!
years of commercials have convinced me that bears do not, in fact, shit in the woods, but in toilets
Toilets that are in the woods.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Telamon wrote:
Lostsoldier20 wrote:Wasn't Hack 3 a break between JUMP and "long hack" coming after?
I don't think the voting was done until after HACK 3 had already started, so we had no idea if the next game would be long. I could be wrong, though.
Voting ended May 7, so yes.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

my favorite lovecraft story was the one with the ghost amoebas
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

As a person that doesn't like jump scares, are there any in this game? Can they even exist in SMW stuff?
Jump scares in general aren't a Lovecraft "thing". His works and their inspired stories are more about the lingering terror of knowing, but not understanding.

You won't see a boogen pop out from behind a pillar. You'll know it's there and it won't move, but it'll stare. And as you pass and expect it to lunge it won't even flinch, and you'll be constantly watching it until you look away and it's gone.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I'd be interested to know why raocow got so mad at the boss :x Not saying "haha noob shouldn't have gotten mad wtf", purely wondering why because I just don't know why, because I didn't get the "player upset at himself for being bad, not upset at the game" thing this time around. I was really surprised when suddenly raocow was so upset, because I was not expecting it at all. That and I might be used to DT3 where he also isn't getting upset in that fashion at bosses. I am sincerely very confused, and I apologize for this.

Otherwise, I thought this hack was perfect. Not like "the perfect ROM hack" but perfect in succeeding at everything it set out to do. I'm really not big into Lovecraft and Cthulhu but I got all the correct vibes/feelings from every part of this game, and the closest thing to being off is that it felt a little silly at times mixing certain Mario elements in with it, which is to say that Mario might not be the best outlet for a Cthulhu-centered game, but it mostly made it work and that's really impressive. I really really really enjoyed this. And I really enjoyed all the art and choreography and just agh. This is a good example of why and when SMW can impress me more than SMBx in terms of pure effort. (Also amazing use of Tetris Attack music, thank you for that ;w; Awesome.)

I wonder if the "single segment" level was related to the cat coins? I'd be curious to know from the author himself, but my closest guess to why the chapters are all in one shot would have to be something like not being able to work out the ASM to save coins between levels or something, even though I'm pretty sure that technology exists. Especially when the map was revealed at the end, the choice to make it all one go is really confusing without explanations.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Maybe Cthulhu wouldn't be so upset if he didn't shit Thwomps.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that the little angel girl was the one from Cat Planet. Hence having to collect the cat coins.

This is canon.