(shouting)

Lets Play Banzai Mario World : Watch my fu*king videos

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
anonymousbl00dlust

Lets Play Banzai Mario World : Watch my fu*king videos

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Banzai Mario World is a collaboration hack led by aterraformer on SMWC. It was later taken over by worldpeace in a violent coup, leading to the creation of the talkhaus. It is the most highly anticipated romhack of all time. Luckily, no one has started an LP of it yet.

Episode 1
Last edited by anonymousbl00dlust 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Re: Lets Play Banzai Mario World

Post by QubicTom »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:Luckily, no one has started an LP of it yet.
I know, right? So underrated and unappreciated
anonymousbl00dlust

QubicTom wrote:
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:Luckily, no one has started an LP of it yet.
I know, right? So underrated and unappreciated
Yeah. I'm glad I could use my world-renown LP commentary to bring this game into the limelight ;)

Episode 2

Make sure to subscribe to my thread by right-clicking on the title and selecting "save link as -> webpage complete". Do this every few hours to fill up that unused space on your hard-drive and stay in the know!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:taken over by worldpeace in a violent coup
exactly how it happened
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
anonymousbl00dlust

aterraformer wrote:
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:taken over by worldpeace in a violent coup
exactly how it happened

POSTING HERE IS IN DIRECT VIOLATION OF THE GREAT TREATY OF DEMO

YOU AGREED TO LEAVE THIS FORUM IN RETURN FOR YOUR LIFE

COMING BACK HERE IS AN ACT OF AGGRESSION. THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES.

RAISING THREAT LEVELS TO DEFCON 4. SOMEONE GO WAKE UP HORIKAWA.
anonymousbl00dlust

Episode 3

Great levels this time around.
anonymousbl00dlust

Episode 5

Trump wins super tuesday!
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I guess you're the only person who agrees with me about both dragon coin saving and required switches. It is to be regretted that both the blue and yellow switches are necessary obtain some exits. You can toggle the switch statuses (stati?) in RAM. Just change the following addresses to 00 to play without switch blocks (green, yellow, blue, red)

$7E:1F27
$7E:1F28
$7E:1F29
$7E:1F2A

Eg, with zsnes, '7E1F2700', etc; with snes9x '7E1F27' in "Cheat Address", '00' in "New Value", etc.
dont wanna jihad no more
anonymousbl00dlust

morsel/morceau wrote:I guess you're the only person who agrees with me about both dragon coin saving and required switches. It is to be regretted that both the blue and yellow switches are necessary obtain some exits. You can toggle the switch statuses (stati?) in RAM. Just change the following addresses to 00 to play without switch blocks (green, yellow, blue, red)

$7E:1F27
$7E:1F28
$7E:1F29
$7E:1F2A

Eg, with zsnes, '7E1F2700', etc; with snes9x '7E1F27' in "Cheat Address", '00' in "New Value", etc.
Thanks! I was looking into that myself, but I couldn't find a way to change ram-values in ZMZ. I may just switch over to another emulator if this comes up a lot more :P
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I understand you are not going to do Switch Palaces, but can you at least do Green Switch Palace later on, even if you are going to undo the progress by loading a savestate made before it. This particular level is one of hardest levels in the game (some consider it to be hardest level in the main game, but there is one harder in my opinion), so I don't think you should miss it.

Layer 2 no interaction mode was specifically implemented for Forest Ghost House as a performance optimization.

I'm disappointed you didn't think to fly under the switch blocks, at least until later. Like, I knew there was a trap (seriously... IMO, it should be removed, if someone is serious enough to fly without switch palace, they probably mean they want to play without switch palaces, although even if that trap is removed, the issue of Suspicious Warehouse still stays, and I cannot think of a fix for Suspicious Warehouse), but still.

You may want to use cheats to have Yellow Switch for Suspicious Warehouse (or modify Suspicious Warehouse to not have a switch block when you reach Yellow Switch Palace), but no other level.
anonymousbl00dlust

era64 wrote:I understand you are not going to do Switch Palaces, but can you at least do Green Switch Palace later on, even if you are going to undo the progress by loading a savestate made before it. This particular level is one of hardest levels in the game (some consider it to be hardest level in the main game, but there is one harder in my opinion), so I don't think you should miss it.
Oops. I meant to do all the switches like you are saying. Thanks for reminding me :P. And yes, I'll definitely do the Green switch when I get to it.
era64 wrote:Layer 2 no interaction mode was specifically implemented for Forest Ghost House as a performance optimization.
Huh, that's interesting! Why is that more efficient than using a background?
era64 wrote:I'm disappointed you didn't think to fly under the switch blocks, at least until later. Like, I knew there was a trap (seriously... IMO, it should be removed, if someone is serious enough to fly without switch palace, they probably mean they want to play without switch palaces, although even if that trap is removed, the issue of Suspicious Warehouse still stays, and I cannot think of a fix for Suspicious Warehouse), but still
Yeah, that was silly of me.
era64 wrote:You may want to use cheats to have Yellow Switch for Suspicious Warehouse (or modify Suspicious Warehouse to not have a switch block when you reach Yellow Switch Palace), but no other level.
If there is a way to beat each level without switch presses, I will do it. I'm willing to resort to silly things like block duplication, keyjumps, etc. if necessary. That said, I will opt to press and then "unpress" switches with RAM manipulation if it is absolutely required (like it was yesterday).
anonymousbl00dlust

ATTENTION:

I am pleased to announce that I will be launching a new non-profit organization called The Foundation Against Switch Block Misuse. We hope to spread awareness of the retardation that is mandatory switches, and teach level designers not to fucking do it. We have already set up a support hotline at 1 (800) 948-8488. If you would like to donate to this noble cause, just scan the money in your wallet and post it here as an image attachment. Thank you for your support.

Episode 4
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

remember to lock your rom, kids.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

lolyoshi wrote:remember to lock your rom, kids.
Man, but then hacks get stuck in unfixable limbo. My organization is against the modding of other people's works ;)

Please orb the switch palaces (would that even not activate the switch?)
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
anonymousbl00dlust

perilous pier is a very good level.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:perilous pier is a very good level.
I hope you're not being sarcastic, because it is.
anonymousbl00dlust

cozyduck wrote:
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:perilous pier is a very good level.
I hope you're not being sarcastic, because it is.
Not at all. It was the best level I have played in a very long time. Video up tomorrow.

I am never sarcastic. Everything I say is truth.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:Not at all. It was the best level I have played in a very long time. Video up tomorrow.

I am never sarcastic. Everything I say is truth.
It's hard to recognize sarcasm on the internet, but I would be surprised if you didn't like Perilous Pier myself. I'm pretty sure you will like all of morsel's levels, to be fair. Just be prepared for way too many throw blocks.

As for Forest Ghost House, it's faster to not process layer 2 than to process layer 2 that purely has background elements (Forest Ghost House doesn't use standard Ghost House background).
anonymousbl00dlust

Hope you don't mind bowling-alley length content. Because that's what I got today.

Episode 6

Episode 7
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

Looks like another great LP is going here. I'll keep up with your videos soon.

As you wonder, here's your information; Koumei trap can be read as "kaizo trap" in smw. Koumei is a strategist in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and the portrait in this level is his opponent strategist. I kinda wanted to make a level like this where you're interfered by an (hilarious) advisor real time, which can sometimes provide reaction time and be helpful to deal with unfair traps (this gimmick was later implemented with vanilla resources in my vldc8 entry btw); especially in the second half, you can check the screen again while the game is stopped by the message.
The reference is kinda famous and sometimes used in Japanese hacks.

I also think Perilous Pier is definitely one of the best levels. Also this.
era64 wrote:I'm pretty sure you will like all of morsel's levels
Which version of lunar magic did you use for the modification? I cannot guarantee our ASM (especially the hack allowing to have more than 120 exits) is compatible with ASM hacks written by lunar magic 2.40+. Lunar magic 2.32 was used for this hack.
anonymousbl00dlust

worldpeace125 wrote:Looks like another great LP is going here. I'll keep up with your videos soon.

As you wonder, here's your information; Koumei trap can be read as "kaizo trap" in smw. Koumei is a strategist in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and the portrait in this level is his opponent strategist. I kinda wanted to make a level like this where you're interfered by an (hilarious) advisor real time, which can sometimes provide reaction time and be helpful to deal with unfair traps (this gimmick was later implemented with vanilla resources in my vldc8 entry btw); especially in the second half, you can check the screen again while the game is stopped by the message.
The reference is kinda famous and sometimes used in Japanese hacks.
Thanks! Glad you like the videos!

I appreciate the way you used the message boxes to provide reaction times. It reminded me a lot of the yoshis in your subterranian canal level. One of the things I really like about your levels is that you find small, subtle properties of different vanilla sprites, then build entire obstacles around them. There are several people who are able to do that, but you seem to make those obstacles feel the most 'natural', which is really impressive.

I figured the reference was something like that haha.
worldpeace125 wrote:I also think Perilous Pier is definitely one of the best levels. Also this.
era64 wrote:I'm pretty sure you will like all of morsel's levels
Yeah, I had not noticed his levels before. I will have to see if he has made more hacks. I'd definitely like to play them.
worldpeace125 wrote:Which version of lunar magic did you use for the modification? I cannot guarantee our ASM (especially the hack allowing to have more than 120 exits) is compatible with ASM hacks written by lunar magic 2.40+. Lunar magic 2.32 was used for this hack.
I figured there might be incompatibilities.

I think I used the latest version of lunar magic, but I modified a copied version of the rom. Then when I was done recording I made a savestate and renamed it from jump_modified.zst to jump_unmodified.zst. So I'm playing an unmodified jump now, but the pathway is unlocked :P

E: actually it was v2.32 anyway. so that was all unnecessary.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

If that helps, version 1.02 removes required backtracking with blue Yoshi in Koumei level stage thing.

However, it introduced some other changes I'm not sure I'm fan of, even if they were approved by level authors (I honestly don't understand the point of adding two extra midpoints in

Keep a Positive Altitude

world 5 level, or increasing time limit in a certain level with low time limit (that one may be because I still think that increasing time limit in Reset Tower (VLDC7) from 25 Mario seconds to 0.5 Mario minutes was the worst thing I've done, like the level was supposed to be easy, but still), although I'm fine with most of changes that were done).
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

era64 wrote:increasing time limit in a certain level with low time limit
I think I know the level you're mentioning. Originally, that level was just an easy silly level (it's possible to collect time time over 100 smw seconds). However Ryrir asked to make the gimmick actually work, so I modified the level without permission as the author was gone.
After releasing the game and watching various blind playthrough dying a dozen times in this level, I realized I made the level too tight, which could be okay itself. But I didn't get a permission to change, hence I've decided to make the level a little easier to avoid ruining the original intention (maybe I should not have modified this level from the beginning, I don't know).
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

worldpeace125 wrote:After releasing the game and watching various blind playthrough dying a dozen times in this level, I realized I made the level too tight, which could be okay itself. But I didn't get a permission to change, hence I've decided to make the level a little easier to avoid ruining the original intention (maybe I should not have modified this level from the beginning, I don't know).
I don't think dying a dozen times is a big problem, the game is hard either way, this level or not, and the difficulty of this level was just fine for World 4.

Eh, I don't know. The JUMP was released with the modified level to be much harder, and it worked just fine.
anonymousbl00dlust

era64 wrote:If that helps, version 1.02 removes required backtracking with blue Yoshi in Koumei level stage thing.
That's a good update to make, but I hope I didn't make it seem the idea that it was a major issue.

I've notice that I tend to be pretty critical in my videos, regardless of how good or bad the level is. I am having a great time with the levels here! Its just that I want to point out what could be done to make them even better. And depending on how well made the level is, those things may be huge flaws or tiny unimportant details!