(shouting)

JUMP - Let's meet again at JUMP½

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
nathanisbored

Re: JUMP - It's a talkhaus collab without demo in it.

Post by nathanisbored »

Originally I thought you were supposed to leave the coins intact for the beginning of Effortland to build a bridge to get back after hitting the P-switch, and jump through the clouds from below to get to the key easily. But after trying it for awhile, I realized it was basically impossible to do it that way, so I guess that wasn't intended. It just felt so janky the other way..
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

snow snow snow snow snow
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I made a joke vote on YouTube (3-1), but I figured I make a serious vote here for snow world, because I want Ghost House with a Ghost in it.

As you have noticed, the normal path of Effortland levels are harder than on the right path of it. I believe some players have gave up on Roy's Castle, and I don't blame them (it is hard), but this isn't the hardest of this game (no, it gets much harder than this).
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

It's not actually a song about bees that are in a trap
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

"Random Blue Switch" was a neat little level that had its funny moments, but personally I never was a big fan of the minimalistic palette of the second half. Tastes differ and stuff. The "puzzle" with the two p-switches was kind of silly though, not a huge fan of that particular design decision.

"Beezos in the Trap" is a super neat level in my opinion, I really, really liked the enemy setups in that stage. Not sure about the intro message, I vaguely remember that the Wizard of Oz had a scene like that but I probably have to up my game on pop culture stuff like this. (Could the Wizard of Oz be classified as pop culture? Probably not...)

"Roy's Terrible Sadistic Castle" is the first level in the game that is kind of challenging. While "Effortland" is relatively hard as well, it's also pretty short - Roy's Castle is very long and can be a bit annoying to grind out if you're an inexperienced player.
You could think that you could get to the secret exit by flying even if you don't have the blue switch pressed, but there are invisible coin blocks to prevent that from happening (I think you even get a funny message afterwards if you try to do that, but I'm not sure). The yellow switchblocks in the second half were indeed Mario only blocks to prevent the moving saws from following you. The bullet bills were slower in the last section because testers complained that that section was too hard, and since the bullet bills everywhere contributed a large part in that, they were slowed down. You get the last dragoncoin in that same area not by commiting suicide or jumping on the disco shell like raocow thought, but by jumping on a bullet bill that was fired from a canon a few screens to the left (alternatively you could also spin-fly and get the dragoncoin that way). The level was heavily redesigned by the author (lolyoshi actually completely redesigned a lot of his levels, and always for the better) - The original version was a lot harder.

There are something like three bosses in the game that are completely vanilla (today we saw one of them), but others are just the vanilla ones with slight modifications like in the VIPs. There are three super awesome custom bosses that were made specifically for this hack, but they are later in the game.

Snow world is harder than cave world, but I don't have an opinion on which you should do first.
Last edited by Ryrir 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
this is getting laundromatic
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

As I wrote on youtube as well I'd start with cave world since the cave ends with a fortress whereas the snow area ends with a castle (including the end of castle message which directly refers to world 4).

Also I think that the cave levels are a bit easier than the snow levels.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Hm, interesting, so you must have a switch for secret exit of second castle. Seems somewhat cheap, but oh well. I guess it means you must have Blue and Yellow Switches for other exits in the game.

Also, reminds me, back when I played JUMP, I felt like Roy's Terrible and Sadistic Castle was a VIP3's Roy's Kaizo Trap Castle reference, but it may be because I played VIP3 to prepare myself for JUMP. Both are second world castles, Roy is in both of them, they both have two paths choice near the middle, they both require Blue Switch (I think?), they both are quite difficult for the world they are in, they both laugh at player (Roy's Kaizo Trap Castle for hittin prize block in bridge room, Roy's Terrible and Sadistic Castle for trying to fly to access secret exit), and both have smash sprites, and both are quite long. I would say they are quite similar.
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

I vote for cave world on the ground that secrets are always better, and eating dessert first is more fun.
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Ryrir wrote:"Beezos in the Trap" is a super neat level in my opinion, I really, really liked the enemy setups in that stage. Not sure about the intro message, I vaguely remember that the Wizard of Oz had a scene like that but I probably have to up my game on pop culture stuff like this. (Could the Wizard of Oz be classified as pop culture? Probably not...)

And to answer your question: Yes.
You're awesome.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

raocow look at the credits -before- entering the levels!

We need to watch you descend into despair at the sight of certain names.

Also, works as a "one more level" prevention system.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Cave world because On The Moon is a fantastic song and I need more of it in my life.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Random Blue Switch, the first time I tried it I never realized the blue blocks were grab blocks due to the palette (I thought they were ice blocks), so I ended up doing duck jumps that were much harder than the intended solution. Beezos in the Trap was another level I had to redo, though not because of missing a dragon coin but because I game overed on the castle. Thankfully I only had to redo Beezos in the Trap because of the magic of using save states between playing sessions.

I have no words for Roy's Terrible Sadistic Castle that I didn't already express in the JUMP thread. The long and short of it is "wow this level is kinda way long and that layer 2 segment was kind of silly if only because its relative difficulty to the rest of the level makes it feel boring and unnecessary". First half was silly. but reasonable enough. This was the first level that made me use a save state (just one at the beginning of the last screen, I died so many times by just slipping off platforms because Mario in SMW has REALLY bad traction, like Luigi levels of traction, it catches me off guard every time), as well as heavy abuse of grabbing free capes from Effortland, and despite that I'm pretty sure this took more than double the lives Effortland did.

I vote for cave world because it's the dumbest cavern but I do say check out the warehouse in ice world.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Piter Lauchy wrote:
Ryrir wrote:"Beezos in the Trap" is a super neat level in my opinion, I really, really liked the enemy setups in that stage. Not sure about the intro message, I vaguely remember that the Wizard of Oz had a scene like that but I probably have to up my game on pop culture stuff like this. (Could the Wizard of Oz be classified as pop culture? Probably not...)

And to answer your question: Yes.
Haha, wow, I was waaaay off with that one
S.N.N. wrote:Cave world because On The Moon is a fantastic song and I need more of it in my life.
I agree 100%. Cave world has my favorite overworld track in the game.
this is getting laundromatic
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

suspected real level: Huh. Neat.
trap made full of bees: Nice. I liked the palette.
a name you want on your world 2 castle: I was expecting worse from that name. Some of the Dragon Coins were really awkward to get, though.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I vote Cave world, since world 3 in SMW is also cave world.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Not the not the bees joke!

Not the not the bees joke!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

I think all three levels today were pretty solid.

Blue Switch: Simple but nice. Also that silly Switch Pipe. Then the second half with the minimalist style is really cool. It really did something as raocow said. Only issue is that the section itself did almost nothing.

Beezos: Bee jokes aside, a cool cave level. Pretty cramped, but never ends up being too cramped. It's a good balance. Not much else I can say besides solid level.

Roy's: Not sure how I feel about the only thing about the secret exit is "get the blue switch." Like the level was made in mind of you 100% having the blue switch already, rather than it being a bonus. I mean the game is still early, so easy to find exits like that are fine I suppose. Switch aside, some really tight platforming that is fair. I actually thought the layer 2 section was cool. Also the 2 dragon coins in sky town are kinda crazy.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Also, raocow didn't receive the 1up from the Koopas when he pressed the Blue Switch.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Beez in The Trap is actually a weird Nicki Minaj song (and a huge injoke for some of my friends which made it pretty hilarious when I first saw the level name)

Blue switch was pretty simple and nice, castle level had a ton of stuff in it, snow world looks super neat.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:Roy's: Not sure how I feel about the only thing about the secret exit is "get the blue switch." Like the level was made in mind of you 100% having the blue switch already, rather than it being a bonus.
Nah, actually, I pasted them in there later in development since I thought they'd be useful (and it seems like everyone gets to the castle with the blue switch anyways?)
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

Nice job on the World 2 castle, it isn't an easy level. I think the length is just right, as this castle sets up what's to come. Ice world is like ten times harder then cave world, so do the cave first. Also silly raocow check the message before the level.

Fun facts about the overworld: Cave World is one of the submaps that was asm'd into the game. There are literally 8 submaps total. From World 2 the game opens up in a million directions. You can go in the cave or the ice world, and the ice world has two split paths which go to the two split paths of World 4. Once you press the yellow switch you'll have access to the final world, and both maps have exits to star world. I like that the game is very nonlinear, as you can choose to skip some of the more difficult levels if they give you trouble.
I make puzzles for games sometimes check em -> Steam Workshop
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

lolyoshi wrote:
Lostsoldier20 wrote:Roy's: Not sure how I feel about the only thing about the secret exit is "get the blue switch." Like the level was made in mind of you 100% having the blue switch already, rather than it being a bonus.
Nah, actually, I pasted them in there later in development since I thought they'd be useful (and it seems like everyone gets to the castle with the blue switch anyways?)
I'll take your word for it. And granted, yes most people will probably have the switch by then. It just seemed very weird to me.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Nicky Minaj is far more terrifying than bees will ever be.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Telamon wrote:Nicky Minaj is far more terrifying than bees will ever be.
I feel like this shouldn't be a controversial statement insofar as one human could kill or seriously injure you a lot more easily than a single bee can. Unless you're severely allergic. But the same would be true if you were allergic to humans, so it's a wash really.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Stink Terios wrote:raocow look at the credits -before- entering the levels!

We need to watch you descend into despair at the sight of certain names.

Also, works as a "one more level" prevention system.
haha yes, certainly noticed it in your videos!
ravegg wrote:"map stuff"
Would have been nicer for raocow to have learned this on his own playing, then have it explained after. Oh well, I suppose.
Telamon wrote:Nicky Minaj is far more terrifying than bees will ever be.
yes
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.