(shouting)

JUMP - Let's meet again at JUMP½

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP - Don't be hasty, this must be talkhaus' Mario Party.

Post by Ryrir »

morsel/morceau wrote:There is a little more level history. Manky Bridge was originally a completely different level (although with the same gimmick), which worldpeace kindly made a video of in testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9bBEGKDDQ. The level was changed because I didn't think it made very effective use of the gimmick and there was too much discrepancy in difficulty between either half (in addition, the second half was too hastily constructed and I thought it might be less effort to build a new level than polish an old one).
Huh, I never knew about that version! It's kind of hard to tell because watching a replay and playing it for yourself are fundamentally different things, but it does look pretty interesting (even though the second half does seems a bit trial-and-error based).
this is getting laundromatic
LHB

Post by LHB »

I believe that out of all the designers in the entire game, Morceau has captured the original VIP spirit the best.
Moosh

Post by Moosh »

morsel/morceau wrote:There is a little more level history. Manky Bridge was originally a completely different level (although with the same gimmick), which worldpeace kindly made a video of in testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9bBEGKDDQ. The level was changed because I didn't think it made very effective use of the gimmick and there was too much discrepancy in difficulty between either half (in addition, the second half was too hastily constructed and I thought it might be less effort to build a new level than polish an old one).
Aside from desperately needing the infinitely spawning blue blocks from the new version in some areas, I think this version looks much more fun. I'm still not too big on the central gimmick, but I feel like it was implemented better. And the lack of time limit pressure is always an improvement.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm kind of concerned insofar as I prefer the videos where raocow's having a relatively easy romp'n'stompin' time and it looks like those aren't going to be a thing any more.

I mean I hate to say it but this is getting to be "Holy Damn This Level Is Too Long: The Romhack"
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

dr_kraid wrote:I mean I hate to say it but this is getting to be "Holy Damn This Level Is Too Long: The Romhack"
If that helps, the next level is really short.

It also has Kaizo-like difficulty, and is a quite unusual puzzle level.

Fun times.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

I don't really get why this level has a time limit.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

dr_kraid wrote:I'm kind of concerned insofar as I prefer the videos where raocow's having a relatively easy romp'n'stompin' time and it looks like those aren't going to be a thing any more.

I mean I hate to say it but this is getting to be "Holy Damn This Level Is Too Long: The Romhack"
I don't think raocow's going to have much of a romp with any of the levels past this point... We'll get two level videos at the very most.
I personally don't have a problem with that.... though others might.

As for the level for the past two days, Manky Bridge, while I think it's a good and well-crafted level, does have one nasty flaw; tedium. This is especially apparent with the second half. The main cause of this is the blue block's time limit. The things can vanish right in the middle of a jump. Pointing this out would be useless without a suggestion for making it better. Having specific tiles that destroy the blue blocks should be simple to code, and reduce the tedium without sacrificing much of the intended difficulty. (And the statue section doesn't need to be affected by this...)

Regardless of all that, the level here is really good, and that saw caterpillar made me smile. This version is far superior to the first version. I'm simply giving my two cents how I think this can be improved. It's your call if you want to do anything to Manky Bridge...
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Having specific tiles that destroy the blue blocks should be simple to code
They were so simple to code that they were featured in quite a few places in this level.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Arctangent wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Having specific tiles that destroy the blue blocks should be simple to code
They were so simple to code that they were featured in quite a few places in this level.
Right... the metal grates. They sort of slipped my mind. Perhaps because they weren't actually a major factor at any real point...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Yup, that's Manky Bridge. Equal parts creative, clever, tedious, and obnoxious.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

good riddance
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

a hard one, second half: Yeah, this dragged on for way too long, it was tedious, and it could probably do better without the time limit.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

I do not like raocow videos where raocow is not having fun...
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it's not that I wasn't having fun, it was just harder to externalise due to stress, haha
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

morsel/morceau wrote:I still think it's funny to see people run out of time trying to jump on and off the statue.
No. This is not okay.

Getting rid of the time limit would be a huge improvement. It doesn't serve any good purpose here.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
LHB

Post by LHB »

Sebby19 wrote:Getting rid of the time limit would be a huge improvement. It doesn't serve any good purpose here.
Well, it obviously serves the purpose of making the player die if they go too slowly. Morceau put it in to be mean, and because it's funny to see someone die from time up.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Proposal for the improved second half.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

LHB wrote:Proposal for the improved second half.
The funny part is that the upper part isn't even that exaggerated.

Random idea that's probably too late in development to go with but: a 80 second or so level with lots of mid-points, with each mid-point resetting the timer. So the level ends up being a bunch of mini-challenges on a tight time limit, but screwing up on one won't make the ones afterwards impossible due to lack of time.

Edit: okay I just noticed the optional part of the level pfffft
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

This is better
[attachment=0]Level050.png[/attachment]
dont wanna jihad no more
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

morsel/morceau wrote:
This is better
[attachment=0]Level050.png[/attachment]
laffin' out loud
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

...Well, looking at the level and the footage and whatnot... as much as it's a level where dying isn't really a big issue, it's... I dunno. At worst it overstays its welcome, which is something, as Mata Hari has already brought up, is becoming a little more increasingly common as we go on and I'm starting to worry if there's going to be a REALLY big marathon level coming up (I mean I knew this hack wouldn't be super romp zone 9000 forever, but I didn't think it'd be super marathon level 9000 either). I mean other than that and the really silly "oh hey figure out the gimmick on the spot" part right at the beginning it's not too bad, really, it's just... really long. And it's rather easy to mess up each part repeatedly ad nauseum.

Least the next level will be short I guess? I hope? Maybe? Uhhh?
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The big thing I noticed about this level (or at least the half of it in today's video) is that so many of the main stumbling points don't feel like real obstacles. Things like that really high jump near the beginning of the structure, or the statue jump, or several other small things that were really tricky but not actually very dangerous, outside of wasting time. (And the time limit is kind of the epitome of things that get in the way but don't feel like real obstacles, come to think of it.)

I think this is why the level looks annoying more than anything. It's not simply that it's hard, it's that it often chooses to be hard in boring ways.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Validon98 wrote:I'm starting to worry if there's going to be a REALLY big marathon level coming up
Well, I wouldn't put todays level quite in marathon territory yet, although the second half is probably M/Ms

second longest section, not even close to his hardest though

. Concerning marathon levels though I can say the following (no cows allowed):

Most of the really big levels later on have many checkpoints (up to 6 or so), so by design really long sections are quite rare. However, there are two levels specifically designed to be marathons, and the second one is very hard because of that.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

dr_kraid wrote:I mean I hate to say it but this is getting to be "Holy Damn This Level Is Too Long: The Romhack"
Well said. I've generally been enjoying this LP, but *damn* these stages are ridiculously long, even with multiple midpoints.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

I still think the midpoint count is a bit low
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who