(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
jaxter0987

Re: DT3 - raocow arrives in DT land

Post by jaxter0987 »

Zephyr, I have some images I want you to look at. Spoilers up to and including Gate 6 for people interested, though they're not all from Gate 6.
http://imgur.com/a/a2k3K

I know the first one isn't a super big deal since I'm used errors like that and know my way around code. But its still weird how it happened. Went into the room and defeated the first 2 Prototype Skeletons with Claire. I then switched to Jerry and used Bird Swarm to kill the Prototype Ice Spirit and then the barriers went down, even though the Prototype Fire Eye was still alive. I went back to Bird Swarm it and this is the result.

I mashed Ignore and the game seems to think I killed literally millions of them or something as my Awesome Score is still climbing as I'm typing this and I instantly maxed out my Internetz when I touched the loot. Speaking of which, is there an easy way for me to modify my Awesome Score? As mundane and pointless the Awesome Score is, I kind of wanted to have a legit score when I finish the game. If not, I'll just refer to my screenshot and just subtract the difference after the score stops ticking.

The Chosen One screen shot is just what I thought was a typo. Maybe that was intended? The sequence of text following that one was also weirdly worded which makes it seem like it was intentional.

And I randomly got a shot of Claire staying translucent until the next time I took damage. Dunno how I did it.

Edit: I walked out and walked back in. Dat final Awesome Score though... and now I got the "You are Awesome" achievement illegitimately... T.T
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

I sent you a message jaxter.
And that bug is still around then, well I know a sure way of removing it at the very least.

Also, oh man, raocow is almost at the first projected episode 0 or 0.5. I'm hoping for a sudden moment of raocow proving everyone wrong. It should only be another 3 videos I suspect. We're close! Pre-emptive Nekoishi hype!

Oh yeah, raocow, go to the pause menu's Options -> Graphics -> (bottom 2 options) It'll be the 5th best decision ever made.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Maybe he should go back to the beginning now and get more stuff. Heck, he can even leave the gate if he wants to!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

You'd better save that money rao-guy; you're probably gonna want to grab the Force Armor from the shop in Central City by the time you get to the end of the gate. Good thing the teleport stones can teleport you around! For reference, Force Armor costs 4500 Internetz.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

This LP continues to be good, and the game continues to be interesting in all its strengths and flaws.

One of those flaws being dialogue between the player characters. "Perpetually smirking" can be an entertaining character type when played off various foils (like their companion characters, and the world in general), which means I enjoy a lot of the dialogue in this story. But when Jerry and Claire talk to each other, it's just groan city. There's nothing to diffuse the smugness in an entertaining direction. I saw some posts about whether they'll get back together, but their bickering and their 'flirting' appear to be equally bad.

But like I said, the rest of the writing (including Claire or Jerry talking to anyone else) is fun and well-done, in that signature DT style that's grandiose but knows very well it's a game story cobbled together in homage to the spotty history of game stories. And the game systems are what really keep me interested. (This is definitely something I'd play myself if I had more time.) Zypher is great at bringing together all these scattered systems into something that all fits together. It's fun to watch just to see how it all works.

DTs one and two are actually in my memory as some of my favorite raocow LPs, so I'm continuing to look forward to this one. (I can still be 'looking forward to it' after a month of episodes since it's supposed to be so long.)

As a side note, I gotta admit I'm a little confused why raocow's LP thread is being used to send bug reports to Zypher. Even just the general DT3 thread would make a bit more sense. (not that there's any reason for it to bother me! Just a "huh that's weird" sort of reaction.)
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

raocow.

Trust me, I know how important using a controller you like is. But if there's any way you can change to a controller with 4 shoulder buttons, it will be so much better for you in the long run. I fought for dash buttons for like...basically years? (This is correct: I've been talking with Zephyr on Skype since the end of my DT3 Demo LP, which ended on May 3 of 2013.) And there has been no issue I pushed for harder.

It really changes things.

Of course, you are empowered to play how you like. I just hope you strongly consider it. It's night and day. :D

In other news, you're very close to my favorite boss of Castlevania. And, in general, I quite like Death's Sky Castle. I feel like it mounts the intensity leading up to the end of the gate very well. It's the "we're not playing around anymore" part. The rocking tune doesn't hurt either.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

The dash buttons definitely make a difference. Like, I knew they would, I just kept putting it off because that would mean that I would have had to fix the awful code surrounding the movement/dash code. (Though it turned out to not be that big a deal to fix it all, or maybe by the time I got to it, (cause it was pretty late in the project that dash buttons were added) I had increased my coding skill?)

I was glad to have the push from Brian though.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I'll be honest in saying that I didn't really read the first post of this thread stating that there was another DT3 thread. So yeah I probably should be using that from now on if I find anything else.

I felt like I've already been over the hump as far as playing with the legacy controls are concerned. The last few stretches of DT1 really pushed my patience with the game, along with pushing my dexterity. But in hindsight, it still felt like the difficulty was fair and not due to things like bad controls / unclear visuals or things of that nature. But everyone seems to agree that having actual dash buttons is a huge difference so its just me.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Dash buttons, if I recall correctly were added to the game just AFTER what is probably the worst section of the game to do without them.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Also, oh man, raocow is almost at the first projected episode 0 or 0.5. I'm hoping for a sudden moment of raocow proving everyone wrong. It should only be another 3 videos I suspect. We're close! Pre-emptive Nekoishi hype!

Oh yeah, raocow, go to the pause menu's Options -> Graphics -> (bottom 2 options) It'll be the 5th best decision ever made.
I'm all for it too. What will be most hilarious if it only takes like 10 deaths.

Also, I second the graphics options. I suggested it before but... Also, only 5th? I say it's a better decision than dedicated dash buttons.... Ok no, 2nd best then.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Can Jerry dash too, or is it just Claire now?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Sebby19 wrote:Can Jerry dash too, or is it just Claire now?
yes

[ispoiler]and yes until you beat or leave the gate[/ispoiler]
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

jaxter0987 wrote:I don't know... if I can play through DT1 using the Up / Down + Jump Key method while also 100%ing the game on the keyboard (on Normal though), I can get through this game doing the same. I'm saying this as I'm not exactly the best at platformers. I fully accept all my deaths I've made accidentally dashing, as its is completely player error. Its not like the input is awkward to execute, its just me being bad at that point..
I did the up down in dt1 because it was the onyl option but I got killed a LOT because of it

also if raocow's trying to avoid having a death by using a potion then he should probably be playing more carefully until he dies :P

also I didn't watch all the christmas stuff this year, did raocow not recieve a controller or something? I'd send him my 360 one since I've switched to my gamecube controller via the wii u adpator but sadly the 360 controller doesn't work.

also i don't know how to feel about being mentioned by zephyr as the hype

also also also also i might use the word also just a bit too much
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This boss is HATE
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

That boss surprised me when it came up

He's honestly pretty fun
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So why does Death's brother summon Langoliers?
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Man, the new 6-frame bounce sure nerfed this boss!

I love his stupid arm-flailing tantrum.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

The big room with two switches was always super weird with me. I could always do either section without getting hit, but I would always have trouble coming back from the second side. It didn't matter which I did first, the second would always kill me.

Other than that it gets dark "A menacing road" was never that menacing to me. However, I notice how easily raocow was air juggling so easily here. The difference with Jerry in 1.0.1.9 is huge, but I didn't think it would help much with Claire because her melee is just so slow. BOY WAS I WRONG. Can't wait to fight Menace again with this buffed juggle. Speaking of...

Menace isn't too bad of a boss, just long. All of his attacks have pretty big tells... ok, HUGE tells. If you get hit by Menace himself, it is 100% your fault. He's just huge and has a very tiny hitbox. Depending on where is is, it is extra hard to get his weak point. Well... he's not too bad until he starts spamming the file pillars and the floor is lava. Then he's a pretty annoying guy if you let the fight go on long. Otherwise, the goofy animation is a nice reward.

My guess is raocow will start the boss for episode 35, given how close he is, as already pointed out by Zephyr. Unless the next two episodes go really bad, he will certainly be at THAT boss at the end, but I don't expect it to die until 36. (And then raocow kills it in episode 34 and seemingly speeruns through what's left)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Today's boss is a good example of how you should look out for the tells, or signals, the boss gives before using specific attacks; this is important in battles where the foe's attacks don't seem to stick to a set sequence. Each of Menace's attacks has a tell, although I personally think the signals tend to be quite subtle for this boss fight. Also, when a weapon type icon pops up at a boss, it generally means the boss is becoming more resistant to that type.

I don't know if you're going for items right now but you can talk to angelic statues.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Wow, that Menace fight went so smoothly! When I was playing this fight several months ago, Claire couldn't air-combo like she can in 1.0.1.9, so I had to kill him with knives. This took about as long as it sounds.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I learned to position well with my Holy Water to either hit directly with the bottle, or have the explosion hit. This gave me so much trouble, since you pretty much could only get one melee attack in before having to back out to dodge stuff. That 6 frame buff though... I just realized another boss fight that would have been SOOOO much easier with this change. And now I'm mad.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Since I made the text messages for most of the maps in Castlevania Gate let me tell you:

A menacing road was obviously a wordplay. Basically "a road leading up to Menace". ;) Hilarious!!!!!!!

Never forget: Do not blink! is a Doctor Who reference. It's about the aliens disguising as angel statues (called the Weeping Angels). For those who get the reference it is a hint for a secret area, for those who don't get it there's going to be a more concrete tip on a later map.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Slit08 wrote:A menacing road was obviously a wordplay. Basically "a road leading up to Menace". ;) Hilarious!!!!!!!
This makes so much sense now... Oh... Well... Good on you?
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

The death animation is sillier in older versions, where if you kill him while he's laser-ing he will, uh, continue laser-ing while his head spins.

Speaking of older versions, I might have to keep using them if that bounce isn't toned down. That's a huge change to just... casually patch in.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:Speaking of older versions, I might have to keep using them if that bounce isn't toned down. That's a huge change to just... casually patch in.
What if the different characters had different air times for bouncing? Claire can't air juggle with anything less than 6 frames I suspect, so it would certainly help to leave her with that, but Jerry already had a functioning air bounce which may now be broken by the extra air time.