(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow blows up a lot of robots

Post by ano0maly »

Dark Hunter wrote: (as long as he isn't overusing that damned grapple).
I really wish you would drop the complaint about grappling and instead put more effort to make it work for you, especially with the newly out build that apparently improves on its sensitivity.

I directly replied to you and Validon98 last time the Strike Chain was criticized because I felt it was portrayed a bit unfairly and I got no answer back. I think it's unfair for you to repeat this again.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

This section is really fun due to the platforming, but the plot really detracts from the experience.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

ano0maly wrote:
I directly replied to you and Validon98 last time the Strike Chain was criticized because I felt it was portrayed a bit unfairly and I got no answer back. I think it's unfair for you to repeat this again.
You were expecting a reply? Why? I don't like the game mechanic, and you do. I thought this was well-established and therefore the conversation was over.

That said, perhaps you are correct and I'm harping on this unnecessarily. Very well, I will consider my part said and drop the subject.

Anyway, as for today's video: I really liked the Subconscious Filter. Some different platforming, a relaxing atmosphere, a bit of exposition, and some characterization for the Warmaster, whom up to this point we knew pretty much nothing about.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

It's an0maly, he doesn't understand the concept of people not liking things that he likes.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

I wish raocow would stop saying that Jerry has a smaller hit box. Jerry ONLY has a smaller hitbox when moving. His hit box is the same as Claire's otherwise.

And really, aside from the death wall rooms, there were plenty of times where you could have just waited out the story. like that room with the undashable lightning and the 5 switches. There was no need to hurry and rush through... so you could have just relaxed and taken in the exposition.

I didn't notice anything I might have missed the first time I went through the Subconscious Filter... Is there something I missed other than Bomberman, Mario 3 references and exposition?
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Stink Terios wrote:This section is really fun due to the platforming, but the plot really detracts from the experience.
Yeah I don't get this because
jaxter0987 wrote:And really, aside from the death wall rooms, there were plenty of times where you could have just waited out the story. like that room with the undashable lightning and the 5 switches. There was no need to hurry and rush through... so you could have just relaxed and taken in the exposition.
Plus, attempting to read the exposition (which I'm pretty sure Zephyr put there just to screw with you) and do the walljumps is a fun extra challenge.

But yeah. Backstory and so much flavor here. It keeps the witty DT humor with the spike walls to balance out the very dark info we get about Jerry and Claire.

And it's only going to get darker.

Then we'll have tomorrow's episode too. It's a neat set piece... but I really didn't like it. It got really easy to get lost.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow returns to Subcon

Post by ano0maly »

Ometeotl wrote:It's an0maly, he doesn't understand the concept of people not liking things that he likes.
Hint: there's a difference between liking or disliking something and giving a work a fair or unfair treatment.

Claire's neat wall climbing animation: well, remember that she had wall jump in DT2 as well. (She can wall jump in the MMX gate too, if you visit it.) Note that the MMX set faces away from the wall while climbing, but the other sets do not have that.

The empty spots in rooms C and H are there because Subcon was going to contain items at first, but Zephyr decided not to do that. I told him that those spots should either be removed or have something interesting...

You had the right idea when you used a charged ice shot for the seven linked switches. You just had to hit the middle switch at the same time the shards hit the other switches. Of course, the Bomberman bombs seem to be the intended solution, in case you still don't have the secret X special weapons upgrade somehow.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

If there's anything DT has trained me to do, it's speed-read while navigating through platforming hell.

Subcon is fun to interpret, so here's my take:

Aside from the obvious letters that spell out F

R

E

EDO

M, the "subconscious" part is just about who you think is responsible for what manifestations, and what that represents. For example, the spike wall can represent the heroes running out of time, or the Warmaster's

inability to turn back at this stage of Hex's plan

. Or it could follow the standard dream interpretation of running away from part of oneself, in either Jerry or Claire, or both, or maybe even Jeremy. You could argue that he's not really "there," but it's a fun option.

I think the most obvious interpretation is the airship. The heroes would see it as a sinister weapon that needs to be brought down, but here, its representation is a more innocent Mario incarnation, showing that the Warmaster considers it a tool of peace, and something that belongs in his vision for the world (which, here, is also represented by Mario graphics). The spike wall, on the other hand, is very out of place.

The "castle" in the last section is... well, this goes into "don't read unless you've seen the whole game" territory, so:

It's definitely a manifestation of the Warmaster's thoughts, because once he leaves, it starts falling apart, despite his early comment that too many memories makes the place unstable. The heroes describe the place as adorable, which fits with the innocent airship from earlier. It also looks like a work in progress, which may suggest that the Warmaster expects not to see the completion of his vision, but that he'll plant the seeds for it. Without saying too much about the ending, this falls in line with the plot pretty nicely.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:For example, the spike wall can represent the heroes running out of time, or the Warmaster's

inability to turn back at this stage of Hex's plan

I would put at least 2:1 odds on the spike wall being representative of

Hexor's planned destruction of the world

Although the sprite isn't one of the ones Hexor made in the first and third Distortion areas, the fact he tried that trick twice stuck out as slightly more relevant than usual to me.

Isn't it amazing how the subconscious mind connects things together?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I am so glad you used music from the Somnom Woods (from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team). Though I would have used the actual dream version of Somnom Woods, I find that one much more calming and, well, dream like.

Compare:
Somnom Woods

Dreamy Somnom Labyrinth

There also exists slow and fast versions of the Dreamy version
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

I agree on the non-dream one feeling more dream like (in certain ways anyway), but in the end, I chose the dream one because I kinda like it more (yay preference) and the instruments sound more muffled, which is a common experience for myself in dreams. (Things being a bit blurred.) The non-dream one is also a bit more lively, it lost to the dreamy version there.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I don't think I'll ever understand some talkhausers' insistence on talking crap about people/things when they talk crap about people/things constantly and with even less sense, but I guess that's nothing new.

Also I like advancing walls of death, Jerry! Don't be a liar!
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

ZephyrBurst wrote:I agree on the non-dream one feeling more dream like (in certain ways anyway), but in the end, I chose the dream one because I kinda like it more (yay preference) and the instruments sound more muffled, which is a common experience for myself in dreams. (Things being a bit blurred.) The non-dream one is also a bit more lively, it lost to the dreamy version there.
Okay, miscommunication in both directions. I thought you used the non-dream version in the game, but on a second listen, realized you did (blame raocow for always having the music so low).

However, in my post, I said the dream version sounds more dreamy. So we both agree on the same thing, Dreamy Somnom Labyrinth is the best! :D
Actually, the version I prefer the best is the fast version in the game. Just a shame it isn't playable in the sound test menu :(
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

TaviTurnip wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand some talkhausers' insistence on talking crap about people/things when they talk crap about people/things constantly and with even less sense, but I guess that's nothing new.
It's Only Okay To Be Negative About What I Don't Like!!!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Telamon wrote:
TaviTurnip wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand some talkhausers' insistence on talking crap about people/things when they talk crap about people/things constantly and with even less sense, but I guess that's nothing new.
It's Only Okay To Be Negative About What I Don't Like!!!
Well, you see, guys, this is all based on our subconscious desire for the ultimate freedom, which is to say controlling one's environment as well as other people. Their hypocrisy is merely the manifestation of this desire in a way that defies rational convention from the external viewpoint but makes sense from within the self.

Who wants cookies?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Oh boy, next time we're probably having

the last Nightmare Gate. It's a nightmare because it's boring tripe.
I cannot overstate how much I detest the spoilered thing. It's utterly insufferable and an immense black mark in the game as a whole.

Ugh.

UGH!!!!!!!!

With that said, the funnel-trip through the world is extremely well executed.
Money

Post by Money »

proposal to change the topic's name to "Hex blows up a lot of robots"
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Stink Terios wrote:Oh boy, next time we're probably having

I cannot overstate how much I detest the spoilered thing. It's utterly insufferable and an immense black mark in the game as a whole.

Without saying much about what's in the spoilers, I disagree.

On the first playthrough. It really isn't made for replaying...

So yeah that last section of Subcon, I just kept feeling like there was no direction even though there clearly is. Sometimes I just felt I was going the wrong way, but still making it back to where I was needed to be. And it loses so much tension after a few deaths and becomes "yeah yeah kaboom kaboom unstable blah blah."

And in my spoiler last post I said it only gets darker. Well... surprise! It was figurative, and literal! And since we're expected to go deeper in, obviously it'll get worse! I feel this part really drives the bit home about Hex really needing to be stopped. And Warmaster too, because for all his shtick in Subcon about "finding sanctuary" for the bots... he just blew up an entire peaceful village of bots. Even if he didn't touch the controls and let Hex do all the directing, he did this. They both must stop, as raocow was putting it well as he played through the world, it's kinda scary they did all this...

Just to say it a bit early, since we have a bit of time before it becomes super relevant... But get ready to purposely take episode 0s raocow. Death was an unexpected difficulty spike and a hard challenge. Some of the bosses ahead... Well I won't say more other than, take a 0 to learn the fight, take a second episode to win. I'll say more when we get closer to one of them.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Lostsoldier20 wrote: Just to say it a bit early, since we have a bit of time before it becomes super relevant... But get ready to purposely take episode 0s raocow. Death was an unexpected difficulty spike and a hard challenge. Some of the bosses ahead... Well I won't say more other than, take a 0 to learn the fight, take a second episode to win. I'll say more when we get closer to one of them.
How many more videos do you think it'll be before he's done? Including Ep 0s? Zephyr guessed 140 at video 100, and now that doesn't seem likely, based on the narrative trajectory.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Not Hex-Circles, raocow. Hex-Orcles.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

"Not so hidden anymore" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahah....ha.....ha.......

I LOVE this turn in the game if only because I'm probably secretly Edgelord the First. I don't know, I always liked dark shifts when its done properly and this was certainly done properly in my mind. It wasn't sudden either... Things started taking darker turns when we found out what was REALLY happening to the classic video game heroes through X's revelation. Yes there were still happy go lucky times and a small break of nonsense in Gate 6 but afterwards, everything was heading south for good.
I also REALLY like the final Nightmare Gate but I hate how I can't revisit it. I mean, I understand the reasoning behind doing so but it still bothers me.
Bosses will be a thing, they'll CERTAINLY be a thing. I only wonder
Which one raocow's going to fight first. The one most likely would be [ispoiler]The Abomination[/ispoiler] but I could see [ispoiler]Decimator 1000[/ispoiler] being the next boss too.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

To reiterate what Lostsoldier said with slightly different words, yes, bosses are their own videos now, however, you'll never stumble into one of these bosses by accident. They're all endgame bosses and they're all very clearly marked with cutscenes and/or extremely non-subtle ominous hallways equipped with warp gates. A single healing post and vaguely arena-looking room is just an enemy trap that casually exists.

And even though you haven't used it yet, remember that Assist Mode exists, and that its original purpose was for learning. You're going to be facing off against very difficult bosses with multiple phases and no checkpoints, so trust me, they deserve to be pelted with demos.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

The first room felt kinda like an Uncharted game, but 2D. And, I guess, way better, since it looked cool and I don't think much of Uncharted.

My favorite part of the overworld funnel was the one stack of bricks that served no purpose other than to make the trip one-way. No going back from here!
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow and the darker and edgier story

Post by ano0maly »

Just to let you know raocow, once the teleport stones are usable again, the portal to Subcon will unlock too - it's going to be where you exited from it, that one small place in Farreaches. Return there and you're able to scan the two enemies at the Bomberman challenge.
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Not Hex-Circles, raocow. Hex-Orcles.
I like that (remove the dash in that word and it will be better still)
Stink Terios wrote:Oh boy, next time we're probably having

Ugh.
Well, one needs to understand

Gate H as a very different genre from the main DT3 gameplay. We'll likely see it tomorrow, but for now I'll just say that it's reminiscient of those RPG Maker games that aren't actually RPGs but are instead story-driven exploration games.

Also it's... important to ZephyrBurst.

Let's just say that I think raocow will be awestruck at what he finds, because it's nothing like what you would expect.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Man, I swear those breaks in reality did like 27 damage to me when I went through this are. Did you nerf them to allow for one more "mistake" Zephyr?