(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: DT3 - raocow and the spike pit

Post by TaviTurnip »

Wait, this is considered reading fast?
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow and the destructive tomato

Post by ano0maly »

Well you got your wish now.

Don't let chapter 2 in video 2 fool you; the game is much longer than

20ish videos

"Angel on a Warpath" is your own reference, raocow. I think it was NegativeZeroZ's idea?

It's not that Jerry always has a smaller hitbox, but that Jerry partially ducks when he runs, and your characters' hitboxes are pretty much based directly on the sprites.

Also, you can actually scan podobos. (The viruses from chapter 0 are also scannable.)
Last edited by ano0maly 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Fun times with the Marios. Also on the whole reading thing, raocow's doing it pretty much the same way he did it back in the previous DT's, which might not be for all people but there's always pausing the video. I'd rather it be fast and not drag out the videos (allowing people to go at their own pace via pausing) rather than dragging out the videos through reading it slower.

Also, random thing I sorta wondered, but is the game over screen meant to be Kingdom Hearts-like? Because that's the vibe I get and that's really a silly thing to point out but it gives me such a Kingdom Hearts vibe I just had to ask.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Validon98 wrote:Also, random thing I sorta wondered, but is the game over screen meant to be Kingdom Hearts-like? Because that's the vibe I get and that's really a silly thing to point out but it gives me such a Kingdom Hearts vibe I just had to ask.
That's because the game over screen IS designed around Kingdom Hearts. Your vibe is spot on.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Validon98 wrote:Also on the whole reading thing, raocow's doing it pretty much the same way he did it back in the previous DT's, which might not be for all people but there's always pausing the video. I'd rather it be fast and not drag out the videos (allowing people to go at their own pace via pausing) rather than dragging out the videos through reading it slower.
I'm really not understanding how people don't get this. Having to pause the video constantly on a very text heavy game is far far more intrusive than a few extra seconds spent with a textbox open.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Alice wrote:I'm really not understanding how people don't get this. Having to pause the video constantly on a very text heavy game is far far more intrusive than a few extra seconds spent with a textbox open.
How many is "a few"? Two or three? Are you really coming up short on each NPC analysis by only that little amount of time that pausing is intrusive? By the time you've paused, you'd be done reading.

Or is it five or six or maybe ten whole seconds? Where adding that extra has to happen every single time and adds nothing for raocow's experience nor many of us and in some instances may make his video(s) considerably longer (which is fine for me personally, but not for all people).

Pausing is literally a split-second action both ways, that's only inconvenient if you're curled up under a blanket and have your head down, which is definitely something I'm sure some people do ('sup) but otherwise how is it so awful?
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

TaviTurnip wrote:How many is "a few"? Two or three? Are you really coming up short on each NPC analysis by only that little amount of time that pausing is intrusive? By the time you've paused, you'd be done reading.

Or is it five or six or maybe ten whole seconds? Where adding that extra has to happen every single time and adds nothing for raocow's experience nor many of us and in some instances may make his video(s) considerably longer (which is fine for me personally, but not for all people).

Pausing is literally a split-second action both ways, that's only inconvenient if you're curled up under a blanket and have your head down, which is definitely something I'm sure some people do ('sup) but otherwise how is it so awful?
It's almost always 2-3 seconds for me. Sometimes more but that's when raocow seems to be not actually reading (or just really skimming through things) himself. The only way I can read faster is to skim through things which more often than not is worse than pausing because I'll not only have to pause but I'll have to rewind because I missed something. I shouldn't really have to be actively doing something just to watch a video anyways. A few seconds extra isn't asking that much from people who can read faster. (And not everyone reads the same speed. Just about everyone who's saying he shouldn't slow down or find another way of dealing with it seem to be completely missing this fact.)

And anyways SAJewers made the better suggestion of raocow reading the text boxes aloud. That really shouldn't be a problem since if you're reading the text you wouldn't be focusing on his commentary anyways and while it's not something he's done in awhile for some reason it's not exactly something new either. There have been quite a few lps he did that for.

This also would be less of an issue in just about any game other than DT3 anyways. (I brought it up during MaGLx2 as well iirc because there were several levels that were text heavy and had the same issue during which everyone responded the same way as well but unlike now I didn't care as much and it was a less common occurrence as well.) DT3 is a very text heavy game so having to pause for every single textbox is going to be extremely tedious and completely ruin the enjoyment of one of the lps I've been most looking forward to because I'm too focused on not missing the textboxes rather than actually watching the lp itself. I really don't get how asking for a couple extra seconds is even asking that much anyways honestly.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I can try to go slower for dialogue but the enemy analysis text are so big (and kinda intrusive) that I cannot really.. spend more time than I am in there. and like no, I don't think reading the text out loud would make for a good video. Like I'll do a silly reading if it's kind of throw-away text in games, or it happens really infrequently, but dt is a series where characters have their own voice and... I dunno, I guess I care too much ?

Like basically I'm in a situation where two group of people except completely contradictory things, it makes it really hard for me to do a thing, yo
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ano0maly wrote:

Don't let chapter 2 in video 2 fool you; the game is much longer than 20ish videos.

How many videos would you say?
raocow wrote:I can try to go slower for dialogue but the enemy analysis text are so big (and kinda intrusive) that I cannot really.. spend more time than I am in there. and like no, I don't think reading the text out loud would make for a good video. Like I'll do a silly reading if it's kind of throw-away text in games, or it happens really infrequently, but dt is a series where characters have their own voice and... I dunno, I guess I care too much ?

Like basically I'm in a situation where two group of people except completely contradictory things, it makes it really hard for me to do a thing, yo
Say, isn't there an option in the annotations to auto-pause a video for a certain amount of time? Maybe use that, so people who don't want the pausing can disable annotations.nvm they got rid of it.
Last edited by SAJewers 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I believe that feature was removed a few years back (it was a feature the annotation station channel used often.. until they couldn,t anymore!)

also, I can't speak for peeps who know what is going on, but I've heard talks of expecting this to be a 100 episode kind of deal.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

SAJewers wrote: How many videos would you say?
MaGLX2
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

For what it's worth, I pause videos all the time when I want to read text (not just raocow's), and it's never really bothered me.
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

this sort of breaks the flow, but maybe posting the enemy scans from each video in the thread would help? and then if something is particularly relevant (a boss, enemies with an important gimmick) it gets longer screentime anyways

(I'd do it myself, but I watch these after the A side. And maybe someone could do better and take them conveniently from in-game or something)

although this only applies to enemy logs and not dialog, so it isn't very useful
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Wow...raocow surely defeated Bowser faster than me. He made it look so easy...

Now I am looking forward to see how raocow defeats the next boss in his first try...making me feel like a noob in this game. And I want to see if he manages to get something I couldn't get...I don't know how to get it...
Sebby19 wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:Does the fact that I've played nearly all the way through on a keyboard therefore make me a terrible person?
No! It makes you a saint!
Then I may be part of the terribly saint people who play in keyboard too.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Nearing a decade in, Mario finally addresses raocow directly. Amazing.

i dont care if this has happened before let me have my fun
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

You totally can get that secret from today's video, though it does take a fair bit of effort. Mind you, it took me much less time than it did to get past those munchers, but I am also horrible at timing.

Can I just say that I love that the music here is SML2 music? So often you just hear music from the SMB games or even world. It isn't that I don't like that music, but I appreciate that this is different from what you seem to always hear. Perhaps refreshing is a better term? Ah well.

In any case, I guess I need to pick this back up soon if I am to stay ahead of raocow, since I stopped before beating Gate 1.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

So raocow did the exact same thing as Robin and was unable to get the gettable secret (to be fair though it's not really obvious what it is you're supposed to do so I don't blame either of them).

That smiley sign though.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

P. Much everyone messes up that puzzle in the same way first time through.
By the way, I'm quite sure every item in Gate 1 is gettable on sight, no need to wait. Hop on that goomba, get that heart!
You'll probably need it!
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

I will go ahead and confirm: every item in Gate 1 is acquirable immediately. I'd rather spoil as little as possible, but I know raocow gets frustrated at the "can I not get this or am I just not doing it right?" dilemma, so I'll just quell that.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

King of GETs wrote:As the only guy in MaGL X2 to make a Distorted Travesty reference, I'm highly eager to watch this entire playthrough.

Speaking of MaGL X2, I wonder if DT will break MaGL X2's episode record...
Oh dear god please tell me you're joking.

I dunno if I can even pretend to give a shit about Original the Character for 50 episodes, let alone 100+.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Classtoise wrote:
King of GETs wrote:As the only guy in MaGL X2 to make a Distorted Travesty reference, I'm highly eager to watch this entire playthrough.

I dunno if I can even pretend to give a shit about Original the Character for 50 episodes, let alone 100+.
Don't like; don't watch.

Why not watch some of Rao's super old stuff in its place?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

This game...

As much as I honestly want to give this game a proper run cause I like the level design overall, I'm probably going to drop it soon. I've given it a good go (gotten a good way into the second gate, clearing everything else I can do so far), but I can't get over the looseness I'm feeling in the controls. The movement control is just so poor for me compared to other platformers I've been playing lately. I never played the previous games (didn't play the first due to it needing ten million buttons to use/cycle the spells, and didn't play the second cause it seemed silly to just play the middle of the story), so I can't really appreciate how much "better" the movement feels now. But it sure doesn't feel good to me!

I honestly can't tell if it's just my controller + Joy2Key or if it's an issue with the game itself, but movement has been super delayed for me. Like I can legit tap forward on my controller lightly and never actually move forward. On top of that it feels like the air movement is delayed too, which makes precision landing and evading literally impossible for me. In a game that has already demanded a lot from me within the first gate alone this is not something I can tolerate! It's only gonna make me super frustrated when optional difficulty becomes the norm, and it'll just feel cheap. I've already caught myself saying "This would be nothing if the controls were tighter" in almost every room so far, and that's not a good sign...

If that's something that is better with a keyboard... too bad, I outright refuse to play a platformer with a keyboard. Blame it on me growing up with the SNES and all that, but I really don't get along with keyboard controls cause that simply isn't what I used to play games for most of my life. 20-year old habits are super hard to break yo!

EDIT: Nevermind this, I seem to have "fixed" the delay issues. Using a different controller was all that I needed to do!

With that all said, I'll definitely enjoy watching this, even if I don't end up playing along. I've seen Robin's playthrough so far and it has been really neat, so I look forward to seeing how this goes! I really like the way the challenges are presented, and the variety of obstacles so far has been awesome. Maybe this series is just better to watch for me, who knows.
Last edited by gamercal 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

gamercal wrote:As much as I honestly want to give this game a proper run cause I like the level design overall, I'm probably going to drop it soon. I've given it a good go (gotten a good way into the second gate, clearing everything else I can do so far), but I can't get over the looseness I'm feeling in the controls. The movement control is just so poor for me compared to other platformers I've been playing lately. I never played the previous games (didn't play the first due to it needing ten million buttons to use/cycle the spells, and didn't play the second cause it seemed silly to just play the middle of the story), so I can't really appreciate how much "better" the movement feels now. But it sure doesn't feel good to me!

I honestly can't tell if it's just my controller + Joy2Key or if it's an issue with the game itself, but movement has been super delayed for me. Like I can legit tap forward on my controller lightly and never actually move forward. On top of that it feels like the air movement is delayed too, which makes precision landing and evading literally impossible for me. In a game that has already demanded a lot from me within the first gate alone this is not something I can tolerate! It's only gonna make me super frustrated when optional difficulty becomes the norm, and it'll just feel cheap. I've already caught myself saying "This would be nothing if the controls were tighter" in almost every room so far, and that's not a good sign...
The controls in this third game is definitely improved from the prequels, as Alice said in the previous page. The first and second games had physics where if you turn around, your momentum swings in the other direction instead of slowing down first.

The delayed movement shouldn't be happening. But I'm currently not sure if the way the game works feels like a delay to you, or if there really is a problem that isn't inherent to the game. Maybe you could demonstrate it and peeps could help you with it?
If that's something that is better with a keyboard... too bad, I outright refuse to play a platformer with a keyboard. Blame it on me growing up with the SNES and all that, but I really don't get along with keyboard controls cause that simply isn't what I used to play games for most of my life. 20-year old habits are super hard to break yo!
I don't get this.

SNES was my very first game console (I didn't grow up with NES at all), and my first video games were platformers. And yet I've adapted just fine to playing action and platforming games on the keyboard. Even if you're not used to it, there's a first time for everything. If you can play other fast action games on the keyboard, like rhythm games, I don't see why platformers should be any different.

Besides, you should at least try with the keyboard to test if there is a real difference between that and the controller, regarding the delay problem you might be having.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

I dunno man, I grew up on NES and SNES controllers for platformers, too. I cannot for the life of me get used to a keyboard if it's not for WASD and mouse. I barely managed to drag myself through Mark Ninja (another game raocow might enjoy. Especially with the puzzle aspect to it and how it's totally possible to do a No Kill run...well, not 100% it as some goals require you to kill X enemies in Y fashion or whatevs).

Point being, my thumbs cooperate way better than my index fingers ever did.
Grounder wrote:
Classtoise wrote:

Don't like; don't watch.

Why not watch some of Rao's super old stuff in its place?
Because I always try to give a series a good 3-5 episodes before I just flat out "give up". Especially if it's super long. I don't like, say, Bunny Must Die. But I KNOW I don't like it because I stuck around and gave it a shot.

Likewise if he ever plays Bunny Must Die 4 or whatever, I'll watch it because, again, I'd rather not just outright dismiss a game! I was pretty sure I'd hate Crazd or AUS and I found it hard to not go "YOU GOT A HEAAAAAAART" in that growly voice during Guacamelee.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

So, there's no delay, but there is momentum in places. You have to "get up to speed" on the ground. However, all of your special movement options happen instantly and usually completely overwrite your current momentum.

However, within Gate 2 you do not yet have any special movement options (at least not of this variety), so this will be difficult to see unless you play further. This game is far from perfect, but I have mostly bitchmoaned Zephyr into fixing all of the input flaws I've found (Claire's dash used to feel awful).

And don't worry, I would never play this game on keyboard either. :)

I'm honestly really curious if this game is going to end up like Wings of Vi. DT1 and DT2 both had elements of freeform...shall we say spam? There were several ways to do things and there tended to be a brute-force method you could find. This mostly does not exist in DT3. If you facetank things, you'll just die. That said, raocow already has a positive bias for it, so I imagine he'll find the will to hunker down and learn stuff (the greatest of tragedies).
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3