(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
jaxter0987

Re: DT3 - raocow and the neverending game

Post by jaxter0987 »

Most of raocow's rage this time I would argue, is self induced. The Malignant Ooze is annoying sure, but its mainly his fault for playing so aggressively. The knockback scream attack tries put the player on edge and frustrate the player, but its the player's fault if they give into that frustration and play aggressively in response. The bouncing slime block IS really annoying, but that's only because raocow didn't even try to play it safe.

Unlike the other two elite enemies, the player can't abuse the hit stun of Master Sword / Hair Whip to get a lot of damage in on the Ooze. So the correct response would be to wait for windows of opportunity to get damage in without being at risk of getting knocked back into the slime block. But raocow's built up the habit of fighting it aggressively just because its worked in the past.

I held back during the Abomination but if that fight, plus these past few rooms are any indication, ragecow will come fast and furious when the next boss fight occurs.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:
Lostsoldier20 wrote:

ANGER

I suppose it's too late to warn raocow that there's eventually going to be a temporary point of no return to buy juice.
Technically he's already there. I doubt he planned on leaving the Warship after starting it until he got some kind of escape portal like with the Magical Castle. Plus, I doubt he wants to redo the first three rooms all over. Even with the enemy rooms gone, no thanks!

Also something I noticed with my quoted spoiler:

Buttface McGee

I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Forgot to add this to my last post but its also frustrating how raocow still complains about not having full health after dying. The game is already merciful with the mechanic because:

1)If you enter a map with more than 75% health and die, you'll respawn with the same health total.
2)If you enter a map with less than 75% health and die, you'll respawn with 75% health.

I'd say thats plenty lenient of the game already...
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Now, now, it's perfectly reasonable to expect killing yourself to restore you to perfect health, just like in real life.
cousinoer5

Post by cousinoer5 »

jaxter0987 wrote:Forgot to add this to my last post but its also frustrating how raocow still complains about not having full health after dying. The game is already merciful with the mechanic because:

1)If you enter a map with more than 75% health and die, you'll respawn with the same health total.
2)If you enter a map with less than 75% health and die, you'll respawn with 75% health.

To be honest, I'm with raocow on that one. It just feels bad to me knowing I'm stuck with less health than I earned from getting the heart pieces unless I get lucky drops / find some boxes or drink juice (which once you're in the warship you're not going back for juice). Even worse is having the enemy with one hit left kill you because you were missing those precious 5 hearts. It's tedious to go back to previous rooms and grind, especially in a place like this, you're bound to lose more than you gain unless there's a treasure trove of heart boxes (though in my playthrough I noticed some of these don't respawn on the warship when you go backwards into a room, which seems spiteful). This game is already brutally difficult, which I love, but it should allow the player to challenge each room with all the resources they've obtained so far in my opinion. I played through and beat it back when the lower limit was 50%, and as much as I loved the game, it got to be a slog in the late game either trying to make do with half my health or finding some method to claw my way back to a reasonable amount of health. It was cool that Zephyr patched it to 75%, but it would be best if you respawned with max health regardless.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hmm. You know, an easy way to deal with the first wall turret would be have Jerry shoot his charged Mega Buster, then switch to Claire who is standing above it, keeping your shot on screen.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

The intended method is more along the lines of using Gravity Well rather than the pea shooter, but I liked raocow's little "trick" last time too.

As for the Ooze, you can blitz it immediately with Jerry before the Rocketeer even arrives. But if you DIDN'T know that, then... yeah.

It's a garbage fight, with a garbage "solution" which is more like a workaround than an actual strategy.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

cousinoer5 wrote:
jaxter0987 wrote:Forgot to add this to my last post but its also frustrating how raocow still complains about not having full health after dying. The game is already merciful with the mechanic because:

To be honest, I'm with raocow on that one. <reasons>
Well, Zephyr did make everything in mind that you can do it without getting hit. Very unlikely, but very possible if you're aiming to actually dodge stuff. At least in raocow's case, I don't feel like he makes a complete effort in that aspect. Even in runs where he seems to have been mostly silent, he tanks through a lot, just blindly. This is the point of the game where it slaps you hard for not learning to stop sooner. There are times where yeah, you're probably going to get hit. But being careless ends up being the cause of death a lot of the time. I'm sure I let this happen to me too at times, if not most players.

There's also that 75% is a nerfed amount. It used to be half your health. He nerfed it to give you that extra hit or two already. Also the idea of you using the resources you obtained? That point works in reverse too. You earned your health, now earn your right to keep it. Even the most impossible situations probably have some out, even if you fail to see it. That's on you, not the game, that you just lost those 10 hp.

I also may slightly be biased towards this side of the argument now, having gotten this far with 1 hp... Lotta things I disagree with if you pointed them out to me I'm sure, but I appreciate the hp amounts a lot more now.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:There's also that 75% is a nerfed amount. It used to be half your health. He nerfed it to give you that extra hit or two already. Also the idea of you using the resources you obtained? That point works in reverse too. You earned your health, now earn your right to keep it. Even the most impossible situations probably have some out, even if you fail to see it. That's on you, not the game, that you just lost those 10 hp.
Each heart is 4 points of health so 20.
Lostsoldier20 wrote:I also may slightly be biased towards this side of the argument now, having gotten this far with 1 hp... Lotta things I disagree with if you pointed them out to me I'm sure, but I appreciate the hp amounts a lot more now.
This. Playing Nightmare mode where you can't have heart piece pickups, I initially thought you had to go through the game with only 12 health (which kind of made sense to me, as lava is then definitely a one hit kill since it does 12 damage). I was glad that you still get the full heart containers though(like the one Zelda gives you at the end of Gate 2).
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

jaxter0987 wrote:
Lostsoldier20 wrote:There's also that 75% is a nerfed amount. It used to be half your health. He nerfed it to give you that extra hit or two already. Also the idea of you using the resources you obtained? That point works in reverse too. You earned your health, now earn your right to keep it. Even the most impossible situations probably have some out, even if you fail to see it. That's on you, not the game, that you just lost those 10 hp.
Each heart is 4 points of health so 20.
I was more referring to the idea of getting hit, not the 25% you lose "forever." Though it can refer to that too.
Money

Post by Money »

I didnt know Jerry also absorbed the essence of Super Smash Bros Brawl
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

I'd like to call shenanigains on the first room today, but it's actually kinda obvious what you have to do before putting yourself into a failure state. There's usually only ever one switch of each color, and the red door is right outside a morph ball section. So obviously you have to put Jerry inside, then scout ahead with Claire. You then see you can block the laser spam from both turrets when you manage to get over there.

Then you see the heart and that should be your biggest priority, since even if you die, you'll get extra life for your next attempt.

Also, that spider tank is REALLY glitchy. It goes through walls and ceilings when it wants to. If before sending Claire through the tunnel, you bait it to the left and close the door, it will flip and escape through the roof of the tunnel up to where the red switch is.

The second room and Jerry falling over.

I don't get why it happens now of all places. Was there not a better time to bring it up? If Hex's poison is still in place, why now? It gets so powerful so fast! Is it based on proximity to Hex? But that doesn't make sense either.

Also, what MoneyMan said. Anyway, third room, ignoring the bear is easier I felt. Keep Claire to the right and Jerry to the left. The bears might as well not even exist at that point.

Then a raocow moment to finish it off. Instead of taking the easy way to the item and doing a bomb jump, he spends how long trying to enemy juggle. Like, how did he do it the opposite way in both places where tile enemies happen?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Are we near the end end yet?

I stopped watching ages ago, and I can't be the only one that wants rao to move on.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

We're partway through the final area, but we still have a couple of difficult end-game bosses to get through.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Honestly, I find this game progressively more interesting as it goes on, whereas several of the recent A-sides lost my attention at some point (I've never managed to play through a VIP, and I think I've only one ever succeeded in watching someone else do a playthrough of one of them to the end). I could honestly take a few more dozen episodes of this without trouble, but interest, she is most subjective thing. Such is the advantage of having both an A- and B-side--if one doesn't interest you, perhaps you might find something you enjoy in the other.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Grounder wrote:Are we near the end end yet?

I stopped watching ages ago, and I can't be the only one that wants rao to move on.
20 minutes episodes.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Dark Hunter wrote:We're partway through the final area, but we still have a couple of difficult end-game bosses to get through.
Oh, goo-
Mikkofier wrote:
Grounder wrote:Are we near the end end yet?

20 minutes episodes.
i cri
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:Honestly, I find this game progressively more interesting as it goes on, whereas several of the recent A-sides lost my attention at some point (I've never managed to play through a VIP, and I think I've only one ever succeeded in watching someone else do a playthrough of one of them to the end). I could honestly take a few more dozen episodes of this without trouble, but interest, she is most subjective thing. Such is the advantage of having both an A- and B-side--if one doesn't interest you, perhaps you might find something you enjoy in the other.
Same here. I'm still very much interested/entertained. Knowing what game comes after this, and hype for seeing it is the only real reason for me to want to see this end sooner.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I was hoping he would finish before the 80 hour mark.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

raocow beat two Tyrants without getting hit? IMPOSSIBLE!!

Next video should be multiple rooms too.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:raocow beat two Tyrants without getting hit? IMPOSSIBLE!!
That was cool to see. He did the last third of that encounter without taking damage. The other best part was how raocow had the Spider Drone following him everywhere. That was a first for me.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

MoneyMan wrote:I didnt know Jerry also absorbed the essence of Super Smash Bros Brawl
well, he did absorb Kirby, and Kirby is the signature character of HAL Labs, who made Brawl...
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:raocow beat two Tyrants without getting hit? IMPOSSIBLE!!
Thanks for reminding me I hadn't actually watched this episode yet despite it being marked as watched in my subscriptions. (Youtube decided it wanted to buffer no quicker than dial-up would manage.)
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

On the life scenario: Up until the Warship, your max HP has usually been way more than enough. Even here, you're dealing with medium tier threats with medium tier HP counts. Yeah rooms are extremely long in some cases, but never to the point of way too much. Every boss gives you max HP before it, which are the real threats. You might need your entire pool for them, but only then.

ANGER went WAY better than I had ever expected it would. raocow might be conquering his wind weakness, finally. But I guess being able to tank every hit ever (thanks to full HP for free btw, here's another big reason for limiting HP) it became less a threat. Was that checkpoint and heal point always there? I remember my casual run being worse than that. Meanwhile I expected a lot of pain from raocow due to the wind rather than anything else.

Also, I like how the "preview" of the last room today was the majority of the room.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

So, am I the only one whose eyes were literally watering during that short bike segment?