(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Re: DT3 - raocow blows up a lot of robots

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

There's a missable cutscene that reminds you that you need to fight the Abomination. It's kinda big thing that people will want to see though.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Decimator is the best! Such an amazing fight! Also, not very hard.

Also I love Kirby's little trick. There is, in fact, no way Kirby would get chumped by Hexor like that.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

jaxter0987 wrote:And then Decimator 20000 comes along and you breeze right through that as well. raocow once again, shows that he'll breeze through the difficult parts and yet stumble on the simplest parts.
Nah, I expected this one to go well. Like this boss is super crazy but a crazy raocow can get behind. It's also a good kind of crazy, given the foreshadowing it got. (one whole NPC before they all got killed in the sanctuary) But it is all on the crazy side, as for everything going on, both fights are pretty short affairs. Also, I agree on the note of John helping being cool, as he didn't have much of an active role til now. For all his idling, he ends up bringing a giant mech and a rapid-fire bazooka.

Meanwhile, all remaining bosses (not including anything in the Dragoon section) fall under my category of "purposefully take an episode 0 for purely practicing it." So either the

3+ hours

I spent on each of the bosses means raocow will absolutely 100% need a 0, and maybe once twice, or he's going to beat them all first try.

Also Hex didn't kill Kirby! Yay! He's still dead! Y-yay!...?
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:Also Hex didn't kill Kirby! Yay! He's still dead! Y-yay!...?
I mean, he might as well have killed them, as due to his release of the Virus, Mario, Luigi, Link, Belmont, Megaman, Samus and Kirby all sacrificed themselves to save the world. But at least Kirby died on his terms rather than Hex's.

I don't know, raocow managed to make the section where John was shooting sireballs super short as he got the Decimator to stay relatively still whenever John used the sudden fireball spam. I never managed to time it right so that entire section took forever. Its the same thing when John does the bazooka barrage. raocow unintentionally got the timings right and so the Decimator died pretty quickly.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote:That boss was pretty unique, I liked how it made you take advantage of all your weapons to take it out.
Though inspite of that, he barely used his whole arsenal.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

This video just got me annoyed, honestly.

As mentioned, the Decimator Armor has a separate scan info; you needed to scan the edge of the armor, which does not overlap with the boss itself. Because he didn't read the scan, he missed out on the fact that the explosion-type bombs do 3x damage to the armor and are very effective weapons against the large bunker. It annoyed me because I knew it wasn't raocow's fault, it was the fault of the game. This is kind of luck-based; if you get unlucky and scan the center, you get the scan for the Decimator 10000 instead of its armor, and you'll probably assume that the armor doesn't have scan descriptions since you just tried it and it didn't work. So you'll miss out.

And I don't know what the point of that request for the Gate H description was. It's identical to the engraved message in Sacred Temple that raocow showed when he finished the gate. And this was made known since shortly after Gate A. Also what about my request raocow?

It's a shame too, since this is one of my favorite bosses in the game, given how exciting it is to unleash your many weapons rapidly.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

ano0maly wrote:And I don't know what the point of that request for the Gate H description was. It's identical to the engraved message in Sacred Temple that raocow showed when he finished the gate. And this was made known since shortly after Gate A. Also what about my request raocow?
Sorry, thats my fault. I realized my mistake as soon as Rao hovered over Nightmare A. I had forgotten that detail.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

jaxter0987 wrote:And then Decimator 20000 comes along and you breeze right through that as well. raocow once again, shows that he'll breeze through the difficult parts and yet stumble on the simplest parts.
I have to agree that 20000 looked way simpler. No Hidden Missiles was enough on its own. It looked like almost a "purposely not loseable" boss, compared to 10000.

That boss was super cool overall though! I have to ask though, are the red Touhou lasers necessary? I can see why they are during 20000, but during 10000 they seem to be there purposely to deter something. Is Zephyr's intended method to avoid the lasers entirely and not dash through them? It just seems odd to have only the middle volley be red.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Dark Hunter

Re: DT3 - raocow and the neverending game

Post by Dark Hunter »

Speaking from my own experience, I was kind of burnt out by my effort against Decimator 10000, which probably made Decimator 20000 seem harder than it is. And I don't take breaks mid-boss because I'm not a casul I'm never sure if mid-boss checkpoints are things you can quit the game and then restart at.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Dark Hunter wrote:I'm never sure if mid-boss checkpoints are things you can quit the game and then restart at.
I had to fight really hard for that one, but you can. I wrote Zephyr a wall of text detailing all of the game's annoying inconsistencies with regards to the checkpoints, so they were all flattened out in the end, except that some checkpoints still heal you while others don't.
ano0maly wrote:Also what about my request raocow?
What, to go all the way back to Subcon to scan enemies we'll never see again? Or to demo a weapon in a dungeon with no real enemies in it?

Checking some text on the map was hardly a pace-destroying request, there's no need to be mad about it.

If it bothers you so much that the viewers won't see the scan datas, you can post them yourself as you've done before.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: DT3 - raocow and a castle but it's not Roy's one

Post by ano0maly »

ano0maly wrote: And raocow I would like to see you try out the Gravity Displacer that you bought in today's video. Give it a try near an enemy and you might like it.
Not very difficult to try out either
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

TaviTurnip wrote:
jaxter0987 wrote:That boss was super cool overall though! I have to ask though, are the red Touhou lasers necessary? I can see why they are during 20000, but during 10000 they seem to be there purposely to deter something. Is Zephyr's intended method to avoid the lasers entirely and not dash through them? It just seems odd to have only the middle volley be red.
Without those, the standard circle of lasers + ceiling missiles aren't a threat at all. The red lasers force a very precise dodge if you want to remain close, which really isn't necessary unless you want to go for the fastest possible time.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

raocow wrote:
What are your settings in DXTory on this page?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

raekuul wrote:
raocow wrote:
What are your settings in DXTory on this page?
Would be interesting to see if it different from what I have too. Also the more Lagarith has it's own settings there too.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

pretty much that except I record at 30fps and I got some settings for clipping, which is necessary du to a large black border if you record straight from the game
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Hm, the ghosting might be a codec thing then question mark? What codec are you using and what settings are those at?

For the folks playing along at home, I do not recommend recording with DXTory using a lossless codec like Lagarith unless you re-encode lossy in post-processing, as Lossless is HUGE.

E:
Willhart Idolized Lovely Lollipops Handling Arbitrarily Rated Tasks wrote:Also the more Lagarith has it's own settings there too.
I can choose to use null frames (if a frame is identical to the previous frame it becomes a placeholder 'frame' that just says "copy the previous frame". I don't like doing since it screwed up a Sonic 1 encode for someone else once, and not everything supports how LAGS does these pseudo b-frames), enable/disable MT, and prevent upsampling when decoding (which I'm not sure what that does) and I can choose my color space. That's the extent of the extra options in LAGS.

E2:
raocow wrote:pretty much that except I record at 30fps and I got some settings for clipping, which is necessary du to a large black border if you record straight from the game
I have literally never had that. Theoretically DXTory should only be able to see the inside of the game window and not generate black borders that don't exist. What game(s) does it do that to you on, and do those games already have black borders?
(Caveat: I also literally never record from fullscreen, so that might be why I've never seen it)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

raekuul wrote:Hm, the ghosting might be a codec thing then question mark? What codec are you using and what settings are those at?
What do you mean by ghosting? Do you mean the Pete fight thing, or the HUD showing during transitions? It's been noted several times that that has already been fixed. Also, I gave a detailed explanation of why exactly it was happening earlier on this page. Or do you mean something different?
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

The Pete room thing and the DXTory overlay both. I'm only just now getting caught up on the DT3 videos so I'm a little behind the times. I more-or-less came straight to the thread and bypassed everything since page 29, and sort-of glossed over your post explaining why you should never ever enable "include overlay." Still curious about the encoder "codec" settings though.
It's not actually being used as a codec since all it's doing is encoding the video, but we have to use the word that the devs put there since that's what will be looked for...
Also, I never knew that about how game capture works. That would explain why OBS crashed a week or so ago when I did Game Capture on a window that Discord had hooked into.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Not sure why everyone is impressed by raoman's performance on the Decimator fights... Apart from showing some nice Morph Ball dodging, I think he showed that this boss really isn't super hard or anything. Not to discredit him or anything, but yeah the piercing Spazer shots do wreck a few of those phases.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

raekuul wrote: Also, I never knew that about how game capture works. That would explain why OBS crashed a week or so ago when I did Game Capture on a window that Discord had hooked into.
...Does no one try OBS Monitor Capture?
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

The charged X Buster also pierces but it doesn't do damage for each X frames of contact. It's way more helpful for lots of little bots while the charged Spazer beam would work better for larger bots. E: Also, Link's Arrow can also pierce like the X Buster does but raocow never uses the accessory that lets it pierce. Sadface. I think that's all three of the piercing projectiles (one of which actually has the Pierce element).

Though ultimately which one is better it comes down to if you need Morph Ball or Strike Chain as your mobility tool, which for me 9/10 is the Morph Ball.

ano0maly: I'm one of those weirdos that likes the Aero aesthetic, which for optimal performance of Monitor Capture I need to disable Aero, plus as I said I don't record from fullscreen. I have too much other crap that I need to monitor while I'm recording/streaming (one of which is my CPU usage) for fullscreen to be worth using. And ultimately, my workaround for the OBS crash was to not allow Discord to hook into the game in the first place (which helped more than it should have simply because the Discord overlay was no longer distracting me). E: Though I have to use Monitor Capture for some older games anyway because their subwindows aren't exposed to OBS/DXT (cough*OTII*cough)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

raekuul wrote:your post explaining why you should never ever enable "include overlay."
I mean, I'd not say "never ever". It just... has an increased risk of causing odd conflicts with a game's own rendering, if both A) the overlay implementation was sloppy about cleaning up after itself, and B) and the game engine does things a touch atypically as Game Maker seems to in some cases. Provided it's a game it has no compatibility issues with, a recording overlay can reduce the risk of ending up deep into a recording where things aren't working and you were unaware.
ano0maly wrote:...Does no one try OBS Monitor Capture?
I mean... "window capture" and "monitor capture" modes won't synchronize to a game's frame rate, making "game capture" mode often preferable whenever it does not have compatibility issues.

Anyway to be more on the topic of the game, I'd just like to say, I'm rather curious where DT goes from here... and it was kinda great to see John showing up like that.
Last edited by Rednaxela 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

@raekuul: fullscreen

Monitor Capture also allows you to select a region, though.

Monitor Capture's big advantage is that it uses monitor output directly, so unless there's something extraordinarily weird going on, it's guaranteed to work. I tried both Game Capture and Windows Capture with several games and half of them (which includes DT3) I couldn't get them working properly, at least according to the preview screen. Granted, it may have slight/some lag issues (particularly if you have preview enabled) and that may not be desirable for a blind LP video since you would want it to work correctly the first time, but I think raocow's new computer might be powerful enough to handle it.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Huh, raocow breezed past things that killed me more times than I care to admit, but then got killed at parts I thought were easy. Guess people do find different things to be difficult. One thing I cannot figure out is how in the HELL he dodged all those curvy bullet patterns from the second boss so smoothly. Those things nearly gave me an apoplexy!

I always have been more of a fan of bullet hell shmups over R-Type and Gradius style "obstacle course" shmups like this stage seemed more based on. Probably why I found the last boss easy and the invincible flying rock-dodging sections to be tougher.

I will say that the Asteroids homage was amazing though and thank you so much for including it, Zephyr!
jaxter0987

Post by jaxter0987 »

Maybe it was just me that had more trouble with both Decimator fights because I hadn't done overworld clean up until I reached a critical junction on the Warship. So I was weaker for a lot of these bosses than raocow is.

When you get to [WarshipQ], thats when you'll want to save and then proceed normally without dealing with the Abomination. And then come back after you've dealt with it.