(shouting)

Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep79c FINAL - Won 1F8

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep76d - Castle Cleanup

Post by raocow »

alright Dr. Tom is back!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

My vote is to beat Shattered Dreams using any path, don't bother with a clean up until you beat anonymousbl00dlust's level. My reasoning is that Shattered Dreams is ridiculous (I think one of its rooms is harder than Depraved Stronghold, but perhaps I'm wrong) and did broke raocow to a point where he didn't want to play postgame.

Not to mention you did Bowser's Castle, so you may want to "relax" a bit before hardest level.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

GlitchMr wrote:My vote is to beat Shattered Dreams using any path, don't bother with a clean up until you beat anonymousbl00dlust's level. My reasoning is that Shattered Dreams is ridiculous (I think one of its rooms is harder than Depraved Stronghold, but perhaps I'm wrong) and did broke raocow to a point where he didn't want to play postgame.

Not to mention you did Bowser's Castle, so you may want to "relax" a bit before hardest level.
the hardest room is shattered took me close to 2 hours, and anonymousbl00dlust's took me 3-4 i think, and i dont think any other room is shattered dreams took me close to 2 hours, so that one was kind of an anomaly. i assume we're talking about the same room. the room has a steep learning curve, but once youve learned it once its much easier to do on subsequent attempts (much like anon's level)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

GlitchMr wrote:My vote is to beat Shattered Dreams using any path, don't bother with a clean up until you beat anonymousbl00dlust's level.
This is pretty much what I'm planning to do!

This recording session was about an hour and a half, and I didn't exactly make much progress :lol:
Ep77a - Shattered Sheol
Sugar

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep77a - Shattered Dreams Morsel

Post by Sugar »

Shattered Dreams (first part) - Fortress 2 Blue - The Profound

Quite obscure Korean game. To the point where comment section is flooded with Shattered Dreams comments ;).
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

nathanisbored wrote:
GlitchMr wrote:My vote is to beat Shattered Dreams using any path, don't bother with a clean up until you beat anonymousbl00dlust's level. My reasoning is that Shattered Dreams is ridiculous (I think one of its rooms is harder than Depraved Stronghold, but perhaps I'm wrong) and did broke raocow to a point where he didn't want to play postgame.

the hardest room is shattered took me close to 2 hours, and anonymousbl00dlust's took me 3-4 i think, and i dont think any other room is shattered dreams took me close to 2 hours, so that one was kind of an anomaly. i assume we're talking about the same room. the room has a steep learning curve, but once youve learned it once its much easier to do on subsequent attempts (much like anon's level)

You beat that no-left water room in under 2 hours? Are you sure you're human?

nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

Zach808 wrote:
nathanisbored wrote:

You beat that no-left water room in under 2 hours? Are you sure you're human?

i checked and it was 2.5 hours https://www.twitch.tv/nathanisbored/v/62888351
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep77c - Revenge of the L/R buttons

Post by QubicTom »

It's the anti-Morsel room! Except L/R can kill if used incorrectly.
Ep77c - Shattered Scrolling
Grounder

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep77c - Revenge of the L/R buttons

Post by Grounder »

confusing janky gimmick: the room
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man I hated playing this dumb room in my playthrough
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Confessions of beta-tester: I only ever beat this room and the left choice once each.
dont wanna jihad no more
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep77d - Danmaku Dreams

Post by QubicTom »

Boss time.
Ep77d - Danmaku Dreams

So, does someone want to explain how this works? :lol:
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

I wonder what levelengine would say about music used for CLIMAX...

Shattered Dreams (CLIMAX) - something touhou... wait

The patterns aren't really Touhou, except for one that comes from a fangame called Concealed the Conclusion. The reason would be that actual Touhou patterns are too much too handle for old SNES console (without SA-1). Worldpeace mentioned that he was able to get up to 50 sprites without slowdown.

Whoever was controlling CLIMAX was Nerd from unreleased worldpeace's hack, Dual.

As for a random Touhou game you requested to prepare for the boss, I suppose newest Touhou game, Touhou 15 may be just fine :).

Voting for Shell Sticker.

And congratulations on beating the JUMP~! Now all that is left is postgame and doing rooms of Shattered Dreams that weren't done.

Oh, right.

Shattered Dreams (CLIMAX) - CUSTOM - Boo Takes Charge (by ThinkOneMoreTime)

For a hack that has reference to "thinkonemoretime" right in the intro, his tracks are so underused (this is only his track in JUMP). I suppose it's only fitting to use a custom track by a person mentioned in an intro in the ending.

Also, I forgot that one, but rewatching ending reminded me of that one (credits appeared after beating Bowser's Castle).

Credits - DJMax Ray - Ask to Wind
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

Okay so the boss has 3 "phases". His patterns have nothing to do with how much damage you've dealt, and checkpoints have nothing to do with how much damage you've dealt. It's purely based on how far into the fight you are. At the end of each phase is a checkpoint (and a mushroom for phases 1 and 2, but not 3). The checkpoints save what health he had when you got to them. If you die, you restart at the last checkpoint and get 3 free mushrooms (for all 3 phases). At the end of phase 3, if you havent beaten him yet, phase 3 will start again, and it will just loop forever. In phases 1 and 2, he does a few "special patterns", where he flies into the background and makes the ground rise up to do various things. In phase 3 he doesn't have any special patterns, which arguably makes it the easiest phase. So why not just focus on surviving until phase 3, and THEN try to kill him? Well, mainly because you can get an extra mushroom in phases 1 and 2, but not 3. Once you get to phase 3, you have 3 hits after each death, and that's it, and you can't go back to earlier phases. Although you can 'save your progress' if you make it to the end of the phase and get the checkpoint, so it's probably still the easiest phase.

The phases are as follows:

PHASE 1
--------
1) initial pattern (he only does this pattern once, never again)
2) random blue beam pattern (#1,#2, or #3 only)*
3) special pattern 1 (crabs and muncher floor)
4) lightning pattern
5) random blue beam pattern (#1,#2, or #3 only)
6) special pattern 2 (vine and laser ball box)
7) mushroom (no checkpoint)
8) CRUSH KILL AND DESTROY 1
9) any random blue beam pattern
10) special pattern 3 (water)
11) checkpoint+mushroom

PHASE 2
--------
1) eye pattern (with 4 lightning at the end)
2) any random blue beam pattern
3) special pattern 4 (over and under)
4) mushroom (no checkpoint)
5) CRUSH KILL AND DESTROY 2
6) any random blue beam pattern
7) special pattern 5 (thwomps)
8) checkpoint+mushroom

PHASE 3
--------
1) lightning pattern
2) random blue beam pattern (#1,#2, or #3 only)
3) CRUSH KILL AND DESTROY 3**
4) any random blue beam pattern
5) CRUSH KILL AND DESTROY 2
6) any random blue beam pattern
7) eye pattern (with 4 lightning at the end)
8) any random blue beam pattern
9) checkpoint (no mushroom)

REPEAT PHASE 3 FOREVER

* the vertical rockets (#4) never shows up right after the initial pattern, or a lightning pattern, probably because it would be too hard to get into position for it since there are still green balls on screen by the time it starts.
** this is the same as CRUSH KILL AND DESTROY 1, except he shoots an extra stream of lasers from his eyes while the rockets are firing.

As far as I know, none of the patterns get faster or anything in subsequent phases, it's just an illusion. So what are the random blue beam patterns? Well there's 4 of them, which I've labeled as #1, #2, #3, and #4 below. Each one also has a 'tell' which I've outlined in red, so even though it's random which one you'll get, you can prepare for it for a couple seconds before it starts.

#1 (2 horizontal lasers that drop purple balls at you):
Image Image
#2 (2 sets of 4 vertical lasers that drop purple balls at you):
Image Image
#3 (a bunch of perpendicular criss-crossing homing blue beams):
Image Image
#4 (2 vertical rockets while going between blue beams):
Image Image

I personally think 3 is the easiest. The blue beam patterns are the only part of the fight that's randomized. They seem to be decided based on some function of Mario's position, the global timer, and possibly RNG. So anyway, you didn't miss any patterns or anything in your playthrough. The fight would just keep looping on that last phase.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

nathanisbored wrote:*loads of great work and info presented in a clear format*
Can I subscribe to your newsletter? You should adapt your comments here and on YouTube into blog posts about JUMP!
GlitchMr wrote:Voting for Shell Sticker.
As usual, thank you for all the music info! I'm afraid I started a new recording session before releasing the previous video, so that vote will have to wait until later! There's still a chance Chains of Atrophy will win again.
Grounder wrote:ZmJ5oBdJTXQ
Welp! Now what will my YouTube suggestions be like?! :lol:

I couldn't record anything last night, so A2MT is delayed until tomorrow. Here's some more Shattered Dreams I had prepared earlier :D
Ep77e - Shattered Scour
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

QubicTom wrote:Boss time.
Ep77d - Danmaku Dreams

So, does someone want to explain how this works? :lol:
It works through things you've seen before, only with a few thousand lines of code specifying the variant behaviour. You've seen layer 2 moving before, the boss himself and the mushroom platforms and munchers are all layer 2 which is pulled in from various parts of the level. You've seen vines create tiles and eater blocks destroy them, so too the timed vines in the boss appear and vanish. You've seen large numbers of boos on screen in the cloud, possible because they are cluster sprites, and the boss projectiles are effectively cluster sprites. But know that the custom coding adds up to many hours of work over weeks if not months, and the boss, if comparable to any other fancy boss in smw hacks of the past, plays better and is of more varied interest than any of them.
dont wanna jihad no more
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep77e - Shattered Scour

Post by Ryrir »

dude if you think mellonpizza's room is hard i have some bad news for you
this is getting laundromatic
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep77e - Shattered Scour

Post by QubicTom »

Ryrir wrote:dude if you think mellonpizza's room is hard i have some bad news for you
I think everything in this game is hard, I'm terrible at it :lol:

It turns out Mellonpizza's room was the easy one...
Ep77f - Shattered Soul
morsel/morceau

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep77f - Shattered Soul

Post by morsel/morceau »

You have been much nicer to me than most people who have played this game (and more than I deserve), so I don't really mind your plant rage. Having said that, I am completely unrepentant: I actually like the bath-tub room best of my three sub-levels, and think the plants an appropriate enemy to use (but I suppose I assume that the player knows that there are only four lines of fire, two upwards lines and two downwards lines; this assumption (on my part) of knowledge (on the player's part) may be unjustified), even if they are hard to read on first sight, like the other obstacles in the level (and I think the quality of being hard to read becomes more discountable, even sometimes desirable, in an end-game level). Anyway, looking forward to our final encounter.
dont wanna jihad no more
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

yeah so this was the room that made my thumb hurt :(

I think if it weren't so slow paced, and didn't require so much rocking of the D-pad, it would be much more enjoyable. and those things are unfortunately the same problem in vanilla smw.

I don't think I knew about the '4 lines of fire' thing. I also wasn't aware it was standard convention that green pipes are one-way and blue pipes are two-way until someone told me (although its obvious in hindsight). i know a lot about vanilla glitches/mechanics, but i dont really make romhacks so i guess this stuff kinda goes over my head.
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

The pipes are colour-coded. The blue ones are enter-able from any side, while the green ones are only one-way.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

2 examples of why JUMP1/2 needs an actual tutorial on how blue and green pipes work... sigh.

Speaking of JUMP1/2, there's a level that has like 60 plants in it. Thankfully there's no balloon, or else it would be some nightmare.
Mosts Awards:
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Extremely unpopular opinion: I really like the baloon room, it's probably in my top 5 M/M levels of the hack actually.
As for the plants, I dunno, I guess I'm really used to them from other hacks, so predicting their patterns is really second nature to me. There are certainly things to nitpick, like the beginning being a bit slow, and the spike columns instakilling you not being obvious enough on your first encounter, but it wasn't enough to make it unenjoyable.