(shouting)

Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep79c FINAL - Won 1F8

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Isocitration

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 37 - World 5 Beginnings

Post by Isocitration »

Nice job with that boss! Custom bosses aren't the easiest to get the hang of sometimes, but worldpeace did a great job making it fun and manageable.

Also a friendly suggestion: update your game before you play my level in this world. It'll probably make for a more enjoyable experience hopefully maybe.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 37 - World 5 Beginnings

Post by Sugar »

Fortress of the Giant Monsters - CUSTOM - Super Mario World - Castle (by Wakana, link to SMW Central)
Fortress of the Giant Monsters, boss - Cave Story - Oppression

I vote for One Level Video, the movie, the game, the level.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

Isocitration wrote:Also a friendly suggestion: update your game before you play my level in this world. It'll probably make for a more enjoyable experience hopefully maybe.
I will, I promise! (although I will try to unpatch the game afterwards if that's possible...!)

Tonight, an unwell, hungry, drowsy QubicTom tried to play Mario and ends up embarrassing himself. Hooray!
Ep38 - Leaping Lunacy
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

QubicTom wrote:I will, I promise! (although I will try to unpatch the game afterwards if that's possible...!)
Just keep 2 JUMPs, new and old. Then rename the save file between them.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Sugar

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 38 - Mario becomes a lemming

Post by Sugar »

Luminous Leaping - Diddy Kong Racing - Star City

You didn't play all that bad, I don't think. The level is just on harder side.

I'm not entirely sure what should be done about Altitude level. Like, it's a really good level, however I'm not a fan myself of two extra checkpoints added (the level was fine without those, it wasn't a puzzle level, and it was 100% optional anyway, leading to Star Road).

I don't think doing the 1.01 version of Keep a Positive Altitude is out of your skill level either.

Also, if you are going to have problems with Keep a Positive Altitude, I have a hint available for the first and third section of a level (that makes those parts much easier), which I'm willing to provide after first video of a level, if you won't reach a midway point. But I sorta doubt this would take more than two parts, even in 1.01.

Oh, and voting for an Altitude, just to prevent the situation where you would have three hard levels to pick from at one point.
Last edited by Sugar 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 38 - Mario becomes a lemming

Post by QubicTom »

era64 wrote:Luminous Leaping - Diddy Kong Racing - Star City
Also, if you are going to have problems with Luminous Leaping, I have a hint available for the first and third section of a level (that makes those parts much easier), which I'm willing to provide after first video of a level, if you won't reach a midway point. But I sorta doubt this would take more than two parts, even in 1.01.
Did you mean something other than Luminous Leaping here? That was the video I uploaded today :D I got both exits (found the secret exit first, actually, due to my patented flailing about play technique!)
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

I vote for Keep a Positive Altitude... but only if you apply the patch. The problem with the unpatched version is that, being P-balloon rooms, the earlier parts just become boring when you know exactly how to do them, so it gets really repetitive after you have made it through a couple times and are still learning the later parts.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

QubicTom wrote:
era64 wrote:Luminous Leaping - Diddy Kong Racing - Star City
Also, if you are going to have problems with Luminous Leaping, I have a hint available for the first and third section of a level (that makes those parts much easier), which I'm willing to provide after first video of a level, if you won't reach a midway point. But I sorta doubt this would take more than two parts, even in 1.01.
Did you mean something other than Luminous Leaping here? That was the video I uploaded today :D I got both exits (found the secret exit first, actually, due to my patented flailing about play technique!)
Keep a Positive Altitude, not Luminous Leaping, sorry.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

Keep a Positive Altitude... with the patch! Also note it says 'Altitude' not 'Attitude'. I didn't notice that at first either.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

aterraformer wrote:Just keep 2 JUMPs, new and old. Then rename the save file between them.
Thank you very much for the advice, aterraformer, it worked perfectly! :D

Iso, you're a good level maker dude!
Ep39 - Floatation Faltering
nathanisbored

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 39 - Fiendish Floating FLevel

Post by nathanisbored »

So yeah, this level had pretty clever obstacles. And yes, the original level only had one midpoint, at the start of the silver P-balloon section.

One obstacle I like is the hammer bro below the screen, because it's tricky to do vanilla. Normally if a hammer brother tries to spawn while there is no platform around, he never properly initializes and just doesn't spawn. If there is a platform around, then it's very difficult to separate him from the platform, since the platform and the hammer bro typical spawn/despawn together. What Iso did was put the platform near the bottom of the level so that it ends up going too far down during its swing and unloads below the level, and the hammer bro gets stuck in a glitched state where he still throws hammers, but can't move and is invisible. Interestingly, while the hammer bro is in this state, you can still bounce on his head/burn him, and he persists when he goes off camera. Then when another hammer brother platform spawns, since he's still loaded, he will immediately warp to it and latch on. Since there's another flying platform on the way back later, if you don't kill him on the way to the cloud, then he'll appear on the next platform later IIRC.

The only difference with v1.01 (besides midpoints) is I believe the pipe in the 2nd room was made horizontal rather than vertical, to prevent you from breaking that room by just bouncing on an enemy to get back in the pipe. I don't think it's worth seeing that version, because it's basically identical otherwise.

Voting for Polished Pipeline
Sugar

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 39 - Fiendish Floating FLevel

Post by Sugar »

Keep a Positive Altitude - Sonic 3D Blast - Panic Puppet Zone Act 1

Iso, below the screen is still positive, because the game stores position in such a way where lower position is stored as a higher value

Is there much to say? In first section, you can take third feather or second flower (or both), and then DUCKjump (this is an important part) into a Balloon, preserving a powerup, making you able to take whatever powerup you took.

In second part of 1.00/1.01 only, you can use a feather to fly to the pipe leading to third part.

In third part, you can DUCKjump into a balloon to have a hitbox of small Mario, although it still shows as a big Mario.

Cannot think of any real break for fourth part. raocow did get to Midway Point without preserving Blue Yoshi, but I don't consider it a real break.

Voting for Ice World level, and if you will have time to do another level beyond that, don't do the bridge. The other level unlocked by that level is pretty lengthy however, but still somehow shorter than a bridge.
Isocitration

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - BONUS Episode - Keep a Positive Altitude v1.01

Post by Isocitration »

Great job! Now you're ready to play this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkkry7Ruh4
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
Zach808

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - BONUS Episode - Keep a Positive Altitude v1.01

Post by Zach808 »

Isocitration wrote:Great job! Now you're ready to play this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkkry7Ruh4
I hope you were told that JUMP would be a Kaizo hack when you designed that version. O.o
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 40 - Mario slips off a pipe into a pit

Post by QubicTom »

Man, I played pretty badly today! I'm worried about every level that's now up for a vote. Which would be the least painful?
Ep40 - Slippery Stumbles
Sugar

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 40 - Mario slips off a pipe into a pit

Post by Sugar »

Voting for Mushroom Tripper. It's just hard, as opposed to crazy. If you somehow do it quickly (yeah, right), please do the level it unlocks, not the bridge.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 41 - Terrible Playing now in 720p60fps!

Post by QubicTom »

The winner of the vote is Cryophobia Cavern! But after a week with no time to play, I do terribly. No progress is made, so it's safe to skip this one, but it's the first video in 720p 60fps, and I promise all the rest will be of this video quality :) Any other tips to make it look nicer would be much appreciated!

Here's the trainwreck:
Ep41a - Cavern Carelessness
Sugar

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 41 - Terrible Playing now in 720p60fps!

Post by Sugar »

Cryophobia Cavern - Donkey Kong Country 2 - In a Snow-Bound Land

If that helps, I believe Cryophobia Cavern was actually designed to be a World 3 level, but was too difficult for a World 3 level, so it was moved to Star Road (thankfully, Cryophobia Cavern wasn't designed specifically to be a Star Road level). Also, Layer 2 levels are restricted to 16 screens, half as much as levels without Layer 2.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

Are you sure it's 60 fps? I'm watching at 720p 60fps but it still feels like 30. I'm probably just crazy and maybe someone with better eyes can correct me lol
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

nathanisbored wrote:Are you sure it's 60 fps? I'm watching at 720p 60fps but it still feels like 30. I'm probably just crazy and maybe someone with better eyes can correct me lol
I see what you mean... I'll check my emulation settings. But the video file does say 60fps. Hmm.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

QubicTom wrote:
nathanisbored wrote:Are you sure it's 60 fps? I'm watching at 720p 60fps but it still feels like 30. I'm probably just crazy and maybe someone with better eyes can correct me lol
I see what you mean... I'll check my emulation settings. But the video file does say 60fps. Hmm.
Maybe it was rendered or whatever in 60fps, but not recorded in 60fps? I'm not sure how that works
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I forget if youtube will only process at 60fps if you upload at 1080p
the chillaxest of dragonsImage