(shouting)

¡Guacamelee! - FINAL - Acmé

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Episode Juan OR Nobody Cared Who I Was Before I Put on The Mask

Post by Grounder »

The candy skull is indeed the saving indication.

I played this game, but never ended up finishing it... :?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Episode Juan OR Nobody Cared Who I Was Before I Put on The Mask

Post by Crow »

i really highly recommend, at the very least.
getting all the mask pieces, which are "basically" the equivalent of the post-game here i guess
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Too bad he can't record this off his Wii U.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Juan and his Manly Mask

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Oh man, this game. I played through it a while back, and had a blast. The visuals are very nice and the cast has colorful personalities.
You are absolutely in for a good ride here. This game does become a good deal harder, but I know you can certainly handle it.
The game autosaves at those skull tables, so your progress is kept from this episode.

A bit on your basic moves. You did find most of them, though you also have a downwards blow in the air with Down + Attack. ...That's about all you needed to know right now! If you haven't gotten the hang of the roll dodge maneuver, you'll be forced to very soon. It's incredibly useful for counterattacks...

Next episode is going to be a good one. We'll see what is probably the funniest character being introduced.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - No kangaroo, but it'll do plenty.

Post by tangy »

Yay! I am looking forward to this.

How many episodes do you think it might take?
Last edited by tangy 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Sebby19 wrote:Too bad he can't record this off his Wii U.
Should I? I'm playing along blind! Man, dodging with the right stick is really awkward...

Also, should I list some of the Spanish references here?

Finally, since this is not really a spoiler: Costumes are basically armor equips/skins similar to Shovel Knight. They give you strengths along with some weaknesses. You can also be Tostada instead of Juan, or wear a male variant of Tostada's threads. This is also a place where you can switch to custom skins (though this only available on the PC version). However, outside of the three basic variants each for Juan and Tostada, you need Silver to purchase them, which I'm not sure how to get at the moment.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I demand a Bloodborne LP.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

SAJewers wrote:I demand a Bloodborne LP.
Only when I can PM you about A2BMXT :P
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Window Squeegee »

I remember getting this on the Key Giveaway thread from someone. (Thanks again btw :D ) I got to the last part of the game and ended up forgetting about it for a while, possibly due to the difficulty and the fact that I'm bad at finding the bonus stuff
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, you should actually consider checking out the costumes. Most or all of them do actually change gameplay in some slight way. (And occasionally in some reasonably major ways though it's mostly stat related still.)
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Soy un productor de agave.

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Nice, a video game I can talk often about because I played it before!

I also recommend getting the costumes as well, since some of them let you die less often. Considering how crazy it gets later on, I'd definitely save up some silver coins for them, at least once you find where they are.

Oh, and there are some video game and meme references in Pueblucho alone: There's La Mascara (de la Majora) vs. Mega Hombre, as well as El Gato (Business Cat) vs La Rana (Foul Bachelor Frog or Sad Frog). Oh, and a stained-glass window of El Linko holding an unfortunate lesser luchador aloft like the Triforce. Trust me, though, the references won't stop there.

Additionally, I would definitely recommend getting all the Chac Mool mask pieces before fighting the final boss. Otherwise, you might not get a happy ending...
Alice

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Soy un productor de agave.

Post by Alice »

Joseph Staleknight wrote:I also recommend getting the costumes as well, since some of them let you die less often. Considering how crazy it gets later on, I'd definitely save up some silver coins for them, at least once you find where they are.
Considering the way raocow's likely to play the game I think there are a few costumes that'd actually help make his play style a fair bit more viable.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Oh wow this game looks amazing.

This was the only Patapon winner I voted for and so far it's grabbed me way more than the others. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I really liked this game, but I wish Mega Hombre would make his return already. It's been too long.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Oh boy, Guacamelee, a mexican based game that uses the old México as it's setting that it is really fun...now this is my turf, I can actually help you with the mexican references all over the game...or at least most of them.

So, let us begin with the mexican phrases and words (if you are actually ok with this, I will try to do it for each video, but it may take me a bit of time due to the sheer amount of references). Oh, and I will try to tell the most video game references I can tell too, if that it's ok too.

Alright, let's start with the "mexican references, phrases and words":

0:00 The very same title, "Guacamelee", is a combination of the words guacamole (an avocado-based dip) and melee.
3:10 "Pueblucho" it's some kind of idiom for "town", but used in a way to refer said town like something kind of...unimportant, like "that useless town in the middle of the knowhere" (ese pueblucho en la mitad de la nada).
3:27 "Luchadores", this one may be obvious, but just in case. "Luchador" is the spanish of "wrestler" or "fighter".
4:00 "Casa del pollo" is the spanish of "chicken house".
4:04 "Mamacita"...this one may be harder to explain, but is a mexican idiom used when you say that a woman is gorgeous, in a really informal and vulgar way.
5:05 "Mathlete", this one...not too sure if it may be a mexican reference, but it may be a combination of "mathematics" and "athlete".
5:25 Not a phrase, but that picture of the eagle eating the snake on the nopal it's part of the flag of México.
6:09 "Universidad de Santa Luchita". This one cannot be literally translated to english, since "Santa Luchita" is the name of the town where the "universidad" (college) is, but "Santa" is "holy" or "saint" in english (both female), and Luchita would be something like "little battle".
6:39 "¡Hablando del rey de Roma!". This one would literally translate as "Speaking of the king of Roma!", and it is used like the phrase "Speak of the devil".
7:14 "Telenovelas". I'm almost sure that these would be the "soap operas" of México.
7:36 "¡Ay Dios Mío!"...yeah...Oh My God in spanish.
8:03 "Agave boy"...another kind of obvious one, but since Juan is from an agave field (the plant from where tequila comes from", that's why skeleton man there refers to him as "agave boy".
8:12 "Gran Calaca". "Gran" is great in spanish, and "Calaca" is an idiom used by mexicans to refers to skeletons or Death itself.
8:22 "Silencio"...silence in spanish.
8:29 "Jimador", it is a mexican farmer that is dedicated to farm agave, and it seems to be the profession of my namesake.
8:31 "Carlos Calaca", again...Carlos his name, and Calaca the idiom for skeleton...fitting for the skeleton man itself. As a side note, Carlos Calaca is dressed like a musician that it's part of a mariachi.
9:34 "Viva Calaca" poster. It would be like "Long live Calaca".
10:00 "Tostada". It is her name, so it can't be translated, but a tostada it is a "toasted tortilla" prepared with lettuce, tomato, meat, cream and cheese.
11:56 "Esqueleto". Answering to raocow, yes, it is a real word, in fact, it is the "formal" way for "skeleton" in spanish.
14:42 "Papacito". The same as "mamacita" but used with a man who is handsome, still in an informal and vulgar way.
14:47 "Magnifico"...magnific.
15:56 "Gracias, señor". "Thank you, sir" in spanish.
16:22 "Felicidades a nuestros campeones" in the poster in the wall. "Congratulations to our champions".
17:25 "Lucha Libre" (probably appeared before in the video, but, man, I just noticed it right now). Basically "wrestling".
18:44 "Forest del Chivo". Fully translated to spanish would be "Bosque del Chivo", and translated to english would be "Goat's Forest".

And now, the video game references and others:

1:27 The poster with the fighter trying to throw the other fighter may be a reference to Legend of Zelda, when Link acquires something "important".
3:54 "Happy Hongo (happy fungus/mushroom) Organic Mushrooms" drawing may reference to the mushrooms of Super Mario, although, it kind of reminds me to a goomba too.
4:32 "El Gato vs La Rana" poster...I don't which thing is referencing here (but I know that it is referencing something), but translated would be "The Cat vs The Frog"
5:15 "Amazing Tequila Bros."...another reference that I know that exists, but fail to see from where it it.
6:17 The middle poster is the same poster as 1:27, but bigger, and know we can see the triforce in the background.
16:47 One of the most obvious one. "La Mascara vs Mega Hombre" is literally "The Mask vs Mega Man", and it is referencing the Majora's Mask from the Legend of Zelda with the same name as well as the clothes used by Link., and to Megaman.
17:29 That poster may be referencing the protagonist of They Bleed Pixels, and I just know that because I saw an speedrun of said game some time ago.

Wow...this was tiring.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man this is a really neat read, I wouldn't mind more as the game goes on! I have to imagine it'll get less dense over time...
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

I really love the combat in this game. Its very smash bros like with throwing and jumping around after to set up more combos.
Alice wrote:raocow, you should actually consider checking out the costumes. Most or all of them do actually change gameplay in some slight way. (And occasionally in some reasonably major ways though it's mostly stat related still.)
Also in the special turbo champ etc edition , you can swap to player 2 and her costumes, and she has some pretty great animations in this game to the point where I pretty much played the entire game as her.

the dialogue however, doesn't change and still assumes you are a shirtless masked man.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Tenlade wrote:Also in the special turbo champ etc edition , you can swap to player 2 and her costumes, and she has some pretty great animations in this game to the point where I pretty much played the entire game as her.

the dialogue however, doesn't change and still assumes you are a shirtless masked man.
The gold edition allows that too. I played the entirety of the game after the first save point as her too. (Er, well up to the point I last played it. I still haven't beaten it yet.)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I regret playing the Gold Edition. I heard the Turbo one was far better and included some new content. Even despite that though, the game was tons of fun and I loved how expansive the areas were, especially near the end.

Should be a good LP.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Huh. Got to see whether I can beat this game before raocow gets to the end. Kind of stuck near the end.
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

I played and 100% completed the Gold Edition ((normal difficulty) minus

hell's speed challenges

), back when, from what I was aware, Super Turbo Championship wasn't coming to PC yet, but that may have just been my perception of events.

It's interesting watching this and reacting "hey, that wasn't in the Gold Edition! That's kinda neat!"
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

As a Spaniard, I'm slightly terrified to hear raocow butchering my language every minute but it's fun nonetheless. Graphics look damn impressive.

@Juanbro: amazing job with all those footnotes.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Juanbro wrote:Oh boy, Guacamelee, a mexican based game that uses the old México as it's setting that it is really fun...now this is my turf, I can actually help you with the mexican references all over the game...or at least most of them.

So, let us begin with the mexican phrases and words (if you are actually ok with this, I will try to do it for each video, but it may take me a bit of time due to the sheer amount of references). Oh, and I will try to tell the most video game references I can tell too, if that it's ok too.

Alright, let's start with the "mexican references, phrases and words":

0:00 The very same title, "Guacamelee", is a combination of the words guacamole (an avocado-based dip) and melee.
3:10 "Pueblucho" it's some kind of idiom for "town", but used in a way to refer said town like something kind of...unimportant, like "that useless town in the middle of the knowhere" (ese pueblucho en la mitad de la nada).
3:27 "Luchadores", this one may be obvious, but just in case. "Luchador" is the spanish of "wrestler" or "fighter".
4:00 "Casa del pollo" is the spanish of "chicken house".
4:04 "Mamacita"...this one may be harder to explain, but is a mexican idiom used when you say that a woman is gorgeous, in a really informal and vulgar way.
5:05 "Mathlete", this one...not too sure if it may be a mexican reference, but it may be a combination of "mathematics" and "athlete".
5:25 Not a phrase, but that picture of the eagle eating the snake on the nopal it's part of the flag of México.
6:09 "Universidad de Santa Luchita". This one cannot be literally translated to english, since "Santa Luchita" is the name of the town where the "universidad" (college) is, but "Santa" is "holy" or "saint" in english (both female), and Luchita would be something like "little battle".
6:39 "¡Hablando del rey de Roma!". This one would literally translate as "Speaking of the king of Roma!", and it is used like the phrase "Speak of the devil".
7:14 "Telenovelas". I'm almost sure that these would be the "soap operas" of México.
7:36 "¡Ay Dios Mío!"...yeah...Oh My God in spanish.
8:03 "Agave boy"...another kind of obvious one, but since Juan is from an agave field (the plant from where tequila comes from", that's why skeleton man there refers to him as "agave boy".
8:12 "Gran Calaca". "Gran" is great in spanish, and "Calaca" is an idiom used by mexicans to refers to skeletons or Death itself.
8:22 "Silencio"...silence in spanish.
8:29 "Jimador", it is a mexican farmer that is dedicated to farm agave, and it seems to be the profession of my namesake.
8:31 "Carlos Calaca", again...Carlos his name, and Calaca the idiom for skeleton...fitting for the skeleton man itself. As a side note, Carlos Calaca is dressed like a musician that it's part of a mariachi.
9:34 "Viva Calaca" poster. It would be like "Long live Calaca".
10:00 "Tostada". It is her name, so it can't be translated, but a tostada it is a "toasted tortilla" prepared with lettuce, tomato, meat, cream and cheese.
11:56 "Esqueleto". Answering to raocow, yes, it is a real word, in fact, it is the "formal" way for "skeleton" in spanish.
14:42 "Papacito". The same as "mamacita" but used with a man who is handsome, still in an informal and vulgar way.
14:47 "Magnifico"...magnific.
15:56 "Gracias, señor". "Thank you, sir" in spanish.
16:22 "Felicidades a nuestros campeones" in the poster in the wall. "Congratulations to our champions".
17:25 "Lucha Libre" (probably appeared before in the video, but, man, I just noticed it right now). Basically "wrestling".
18:44 "Forest del Chivo". Fully translated to spanish would be "Bosque del Chivo", and translated to english would be "Goat's Forest".

And now, the video game references and others:

1:27 The poster with the fighter trying to throw the other fighter may be a reference to Legend of Zelda, when Link acquires something "important".
3:54 "Happy Hongo (happy fungus/mushroom) Organic Mushrooms" drawing may reference to the mushrooms of Super Mario, although, it kind of reminds me to a goomba too.
4:32 "El Gato vs La Rana" poster...I don't which thing is referencing here (but I know that it is referencing something), but translated would be "The Cat vs The Frog"
5:15 "Amazing Tequila Bros."...another reference that I know that exists, but fail to see from where it it.
6:17 The middle poster is the same poster as 1:27, but bigger, and know we can see the triforce in the background.
16:47 One of the most obvious one. "La Mascara vs Mega Hombre" is literally "The Mask vs Mega Man", and it is referencing the Majora's Mask from the Legend of Zelda with the same name as well as the clothes used by Link., and to Megaman.
17:29 That poster may be referencing the protagonist of They Bleed Pixels, and I just know that because I saw an speedrun of said game some time ago.

Wow...this was tiring.
I also approve of this. As a Canadian, we pretty much know next to nothing about Spanish and Mexico, since we don't really have to deal with them (and the USA is in the way).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000