(shouting)

Iji - Will raocow be aggressive or passive? Pfft... that's easy to answer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Iji - Will raocow be aggressive or passive? Pfft... that's easy to answer

Post by Sebby19 »

Special Traits: Bring a stat to Level 10, and you will also gain a permanent (well, until you Nano reboot) trait that enhances your abilities.
Health = Suppresion: Iji's personal nanofield gains extreme resistance to nano-based attacks. If an attack deals more than 1 HP damage in a single hit, the damage taken is lowered by 1 HP. For example, an attack that deals 3 HP damage now deals only 2.
Attack = Improved Autoloading: Lowers the reload time of all non-rapidfire weapons by 20%.
Assimilate = Advanced Recovery: Assimilating a Red Nanofield will recover 1 more HP, and assimilating a Green Nanofield will recover 1 HP instead of none, finally making them useful.
Strength = Cybernetic Endurance: The invulnerability time after being damaged is increased by 50%. You are no longer knocked to the ground when firing the MPFB Devastator.
Crack = Electronic Mastery: When you fail to crack something, no adverse effects occur (enemies don't notice you, security crates don't break/explode on higher difficulty levels, and the security of doors cannot increase). Additionally, the "blue nodes" no longer flicker while cracking, and a 5 bonus seconds are added to the cracking time limit.
Tasen = Vengeance and Komato = Glory: +1 ammo to all Tasen/Komato ammo pickups, respectively.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

And that's the games ending. Man, that ending song just effects me more and more every time.

Strange, the game is supposed to lower detail when it detects slowdown. Also, slowdown is more a computer by computer thing, not solely Windows 7 alone. Mine runs fine perfectly on 10.

End credits song, the only one not specifically made for this game. This track was composed by VNV Nation, covered and performed by LifeForce, and edited for length by Daniel Remar.

Make sure annotations are on, for the lyrics.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

wow the framerate for the final boss sure ended up being

torrible.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Razzling
Maximum gay
First name: Josie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Razzling »

Wow, pacifist or not, that ending is way worse if Dan the Man is dead, rest in rest little man.

In other news, raocow only died once, and in the way I wanted him to. Phantom Hammer death is the only way to go.

And now on a lighter note, here is some scramber Tor (not all of it though, as thats like 40 images, so here's a highlight)
also a look at how ugly the boss is with special effects turned off

and again some bonus post fight text too.

he also liked to say "*dramatic pause*" and "I am top tier" a lot, though that didn't happen when i was getting screenshots sadly.

but man, kids playing with GUNS! Truly this is the worst possible ending
:trans_pride:
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Man, watching this makes me excited for the rollercoaster of emotion a Undertale plathrough would be. Though the talk about not doing another playthrough would REALLY not work with that game.

Also I'm glad we got to see Iji get phantom hammered.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

So this is where we are now.
The Windows 7 slowdown is annoying, but IMO the final boss fight is so cool that it retains most of its climactic value regardless.
A compatibility update is planned... eventually.

Surprisingly even the depth-of-field missiles can be reflected. I never knew you can "reflect" orbiting charged shots though, I thought you were just screwed if you fail to bounce back 3 of them.

Tor's battle scripts adjusts to your performance - he's more likely to use attacks that hit Iji, and attacks you dodge get a slightly more complex pattern.

Back when I played for the first time and got the pacifist ending, I figured the violent ending would be a lot different. Specifically, I thought it was possible to

fail in getting Tor to abort the Alpha Strike.

The Trollis given special thanks in the credits was Daniel Remar's cat.

Hero 3D is based on Remar's simple old exploration shooter Hero. There's later been a sequel to that game, called Hero Core, which is really fun.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The final boss...

*General Tor*
Armour: 200 HP: 900 (Normal), 1050 (Hard), 1200 (Extreme)
Weight: 250 Security: 250
Weapon tier 1:
-Ragebomb = Cluster bombs that explode in the air, and then rain down randomly. 2HP damage.
-Tyrian claw = Purple blades that spread out in the air, before going straight forward, or straight down. 3HP damage.
-Ripper = A spread of 5 quick, really thick blue laser shots. The 2 that hit the ground create energy shockwaves that travel the ground. 1st is short and quick, 2nd is tall and slow. Cannot be reflected. 2HP damage
-Heavy stomp = A quick stomp of the ground, that makes the ground ripple, tripping up Iji, but doesn't damage.
Weapon tier 2:
-Arch Devastator = Large-scale MPFB Devastator, that shoots a spread of 5 shots. The middle one aims directly at you. 3HP damage.
-Ultra Shotgun = The Nanoblast powerup an a large scale, making random explosions in the air. 2HP damage.
-Zica Burst = An electric stomp that sends evenly spaced brown eruption columns across the ground. 2HP damage
-Fractal rockets = giant Rockets that split into more giant rockets at specific points. 2HP damage
Weapon tier 3(background attacks):
-Death hail = Vertical lasers evenly spaced out. 3HP damage
-Eruption = A quick laser across the ground, that makes it erupt. Similar to Asha's Megasmash attack. 3HP damage
-Megamissile = Giant background missile that try to home in on Iji. Can be reflected back into the background, but doesn't accomplish anything. 3HP damage.
Superweapons:
-Chargeball = Energy ball aimed directly at you. Returns and orbits Thor, unless reflected. 3HP damage.
-Nanostorm (needs 3 Chargeballs, and HP less than 750 on Normal, 825 on Hard, and 900 on Extreme)= A stream of white particles that race toward you. Each deals 60 armour damage, and 3HP when armour is drained.
-Phantom Hammer (needs 3 Chargeballs, and HP over 750 on Normal, 825 on Hard, and 900 on Extreme)= A gun meant to be mounted on spaceships. Instant Kill, and wipes away all stats to 0.
Defense: Triple Alloy Composite Armour = Immune to kicks and armour-damaging weapons (except the piercing CFIS and Velocithor V2-10). Unlike Proxima, takes full damage from explosives.
One of the younger Generals in the Komato army, he grew weary of the fighting really quick. Before the war, he was at the negotiation table with Hel Sarie, trying to come to a solution. He pilots the Eilodon model of Annihilator exo-skeletons, only meant for Generals. Eilodons are meant for large scale warfare, but have trouble accurate targeting single small units.
Tor follows a specific pattern: He starts by always flying into the background, and uses the Death Hail attack. Then he lands (which always creates a ripple on the ground, watch out), and then fires a Tier 1 weapon, a Tier 2 weapon, and then pauses. He repeats this cycle 3 times in total. He then shoots a Chargeball that will return and orbit him, unless reflected, and then returns to the background and fires his Tier 3 weapon. Then he comes back, and repeats the whole pattern.
If Tor amasses 3 Chargeballs, upon landing he will immediately fire either the Phantom Hammer or Nanostorm, depending on his HP. If firing the Hammer, he will use a Heavy Stomp to try to knock Iji into the blast. Nanostorm, while not instant kill, is nearly impossible to dodge, especially with a Tier 1 weapon onscreen at the same time.
All Tier 1 and 2 weapons have 5 levels of power, while the Tier 3 weapons (except the Megamissiles) have 3. Dodging an attack will raise its power next time its fired. His weapons will start at higher levels on higher difficulty modes. Tor also learns during the fight; if a specific attack (or combination of attacks) hits you, he is more likely to use it/them again. Personally, the Tirian Claw + Fractal Rockets combo is the worst one.
To win, it is imperative you reflect back the Chargeballs. They do massive damage, and you want to prevent the other 2 superweapons as much as possible. If you wish to use other weapons, or reflect his other attacks, make sure you switch back to the Resonance Reflector before he uses his Tier 2 weapon for the 3rd time. Otherwise, 50 MPFB shots and Attack 10 will take him down on Normal, by themselves. If you have obtained the ??? weapon, use it sparingly, it drains 50 Armour for every use.

A chart of reflecting projectile, and their damage:
Chargeball: 83 HP
Fractal rocket: 7 HP
Ragebomb: 7 HP
Tyrian claw: 12 HP
MPFB projectile: 3 HP (modified by your Attack stat, the others are not)
Last edited by Sebby19 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Razzling wrote:

he also liked to say "*dramatic pause*" and "I am top tier" a lot, though that didn't happen when i was getting screenshots sadly.
Considering that Scrambler Tor believes he is "Top tier" And that he has stopped the salt...does this mean he is 'holding that salt' like many people who lose fighting games? iirc in scrambler mode he says something along the lines of "...And thus ends the most explained war in history!" after he and Iji bicker about fruits or something. Which is kinda hilarious to me.

I was worried that the slowdown was going to be worse. When I first played this game, the game chugged the whole fight and the background missiles became a single frame slide show. Glad that it didn't ruin the fight.

Also General Tor's robot design really reminds me of Optimus prime, similar color scheme, really boxy. But his big robot is a little too bright and colorful, compared to the typical Komato or even his normal form.

Hey Sebby what about the effects of

Activating the power-up generator for Tor's battlesuit in Sector X? Does it just boost all his weapons power levels to their max potential?

Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Tor x Iji OTP
welp, now i am dead. and i just know someone is going to link toriji fiction. gdi.
Zummorr wrote:Hey Sebby what about the effects of

Activating the power-up generator for Tor's battlesuit in Sector X? Does it just boost all his weapons power levels to their max potential?

It's worse than that. In addition to maxing his HP and weapon power, he drops half as much health and summons two goddamn Skysmashers every time he lands following a background attack. Although, if you can beat Max Charge Tor on Ultimortal difficulty, his plea for mercy changes to acknowledge your superior skill and willpower.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ah yes, Tor has many secrets linked to him

Maximum Charge Tor: After beating the game once, a security door opens up, which leads to a terminal and a Power Core, like you destroyed earlier. Activating it powers up Tor's Eilodon suit to maximum levels, even beyond what Ulitmortal difficulty gives you. This includes:
-1200 HP
-All weapons at maximum power
-Even less Red Nanofields are dropped, if any at all.
-2 Skysmashers are spawned every time Tor comes back from the background. If any are still around when he jumps away, they fly away. These Skysmashers actually show some mercy, if you are knocked down, they don't fire until you get up.
-Defeating him here will change him from begging for mercy to acknowledge your superior skill and willpower.

Weapon specific kills: Using or defeating Tor with any of the secret weapons will net you a unique response after the battle.
???: Land the finishing blow with this, and Tor will show off a neat balancing trick on his nose
???: Use this weapon at least once during the battle, and he'll be shocked and wonder how you obtained the weapon, since only Imperial Research should know about it. This was the weapon used on Ciretako.
???: Land the finishing blow with this, and Tor will panic, and warn you about the hallucinations this weapon can cause. You are then sent directly to Sector Y.

And now a different secret:
ImageScrambler: A broken human translator, created by Yukabacera. Kill him to obtain it. Turning it on will scramble the text in the game. Words in logbooks can be jumbled, or replaced, and the results change everytime. Dialogue is corrupted even more! With entire line and scenes changing. It's very funny.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

This game is really good and I respect raocow's decision to leave the game as he played it the first time. Curiousity sent me back to play it many times but sometimes you encounter a game that you really feel would be best left as you finish it, whether or not you got a "good" ending.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I hope the title gimmick was chosen specifically for the sake of today's video.

Also, did the writing in the initial conversation between Iji and General Tor seem...oddly weak? As in uncharacteristically so? Really, the general almost seems like a completely different character compared to the logs before and the ending cutscene after, or indeed not much of a solid character at all, just a bunch of hmphing and bah-ing mixed in with some wheeling and waffling. Honestly, I was wondering if maybe the author had just sort of run out of steam, and was at a loss as to how conclude the story/handle a character who's meant to have a conscience yet whom you're inevitably supposed to fight, but then then ending itself was fine, as was, for that matter, the build up immediately before the final confrontation. Yet in the pre-battle discussion itself, everybody just sort of generally expresses themselves badly and makes sort of shoddy, half-baked arguments which seem more like unfocused, wavering cries of frustration than anything. I guess that's realistic on some level--weary warriors probably aren't the best at composing compelling rhetoric on the fly, but it makes the build up to the final battle feel more awkward and clumsy rather than tragic misalignment of fates that led people to committing perpendicularly stacked atrocities in a conflict they wanted no part in that the story seems to be aiming for, which sort of diminishes the effect of the fight. I honestly wonder what happened here, as it just seems like such a distinctively false note was struck.
Kalir

Post by Kalir »

Hey.

Been watching raocow for ages now. Only just now decided to chime in.

I'm a pretty big fan of Iji, even did a screenshot LP of it myself, and even though it's been a while since I played it, it's always great to see people experiencing it for themselves. Back in the day I'd have called it my favorite game, and while that's not really true anymore it's still one of the games I enjoyed the most.

I guess I don't really have much else to say here. I'm just glad to see you play this game is all.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Wow, I did not expect the game to get that good. That story's bleakness felt really honest, and served to be much more depressing than most works that get labeled as dark. You can really tell through just simple text logs how everything is just going to hell.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The presentation probably helped a lot with that. I did not really bother to stop too much, since I've seen these texts before.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

A quick summary of the backstory
The Komato came from the planet Origin (Earth)After developing space travel, they left Origin and never looked back, except with the occasional probe. They deemed us not a threat, and left us alone. They continued to expand and conquer their way across the galaxy, become very militarised, and genetically modifying themselves to serve combat. A faction of Komato, later called the Tasen, objected to the direction the Komato were headed, and genetically modified themselves closer to how the looked like on Origin. The Komato saw them as outcasts, but did help and supply them, initially. Over time, the general populace of the Komato's hate grew more and more, and the leaders in High Command trying to work out a solution to stop this. High Command was powerless when their army declared war. Their goal: exterminate the Tasen.
While on the run, the Tasen would Alpha Strike any planet they wished to colonize, nearly obliterating the original people on that planet. This atrocity only gave more justification to the Komato to go to war. The Komato would then route out the Tasen on that planet, and then Alpha Strike the planet again as standard procedure. This was to make sure there were none left, and was seen as a mercy kill for the original planet's inhabitants.
For more lore, read Yukabacera's logs here: http://www.remar.se/daniel/yuka/index.php

To me, the Komato are similar to the Nazis, even with the plans to create 'organized termination' camps, as you read in one logbook. The only difference is that instead of a single leader (Hitler) 'inspiring' the population, the Komato leaders tried to stop the conflict. But High Command had to go against a population of several 100 billion.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Am I seriously the only one who found the writing kinda... Bad?

Haha, different tastes I suppose...
Nope. I found it very hamfisted. I could tell they were trying to make it ~deep~ and ~meaningful~, but I never felt it, personally. Maybe the pacifist route is better written?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

haha, wow the secret world is pretty amusing. look forward to tonight, peeps who don't know what it is!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Am I seriously the only one who found the writing kinda... Bad?

Haha, different tastes I suppose...
It was definitely unpolished, and felt a bit clunky and overwrought at times, as though the author was aiming to tackle concepts that he wasn't able to express adequately through his characters...but I do give him some points for trying to tackle some of those concepts (how cultural prejudices can exist in a person without necessarily making them evil, but can still inevitably lead to conflicts despite this; how a natural tendency to value members of our own group about those outside the group--even if we're not exactly indifferent to the latter--can lead to more suffering for everyone; how it's much easier to dehumanize a group than a person, and how precisely this effect gets magnified across a general population (i.e. one faceless group is remarkably good at dehumanizing a second); the effects of populism in politics, and so on, and so for) . Generally, I thought the overall atmosphere of hopelessness and sort of desperation to be well done. I similarly liked how the Tasen were handled: they were initially established as genocidal villains, but ultimately revealed to be a desperate hunted and desperate people, with their initial barbaric act being a desperate bit for survival, yet ultimately a pointless one, as they end up getting wiped out anyway, while very nearly taking earth with them. Seen primarily from the Tasen perspective, the story works well as describing their tragic downfall.

And I know you hated Dan, and so did I at first, but I guess that aspect of the story ultimately worked for me in the end? I mean, you have this sort of unseen, bossy know-it-all playing mastermind, whom the protagonist seems to blindly and (for us) unreasonably trust, and you just know he's going to turn out to be a traitor or something...but that's not the reveal at all. No, the reveal is that he's just some scared kid hiding in a janitorial closet who's in way over his head, but nevertheless is desperately trying to pretend that he's in control of the situation because the alternative is to lay down and day. And yet we see how well that works out for him (and everyone else).

The biggest weakness, in my opinion, is the characterization of the Komato. The slide into cartoon villain territory way to often, yet you can tell that the author doesn't entirely want them there, so he half-heartedly pulls them out again, only to make the whole thing seem a bit wishy-washy. Above all, we never really get a sense for why they hate the Tasen so much, and consider wiping every last one out to be so critical; the idea is vaguely approached near the end with the idea of Komato society being one giant organism, but this is never developed. Perhaps the author was just reluctant to get inside the head of racial purists, I don't know, but it leaves what ultimately become the main antagonists feeling a bit thin.

Also, for what it's worth, I tended to find the logs worked much better than the dialogues; in other words, people talking to themselves worked a lot better than people talking to each other. It's hard to pinpoint why that should be the case (other than character interaction fundamentally being a different thing from just the sum of two characters) but it's woefully clear in Iji's attempts to negotiate with the Tasen/Komato. I mean, it's clear that they are, to sum extent, being meant to be talking past each other, having fundamentally different priorities and socio-cultural perspectives, but it tends to go beyond this to the point where they just seem to be spouting clichés independently of one another. It sort of half worked with Krotera (which was meant to be a woeful failure of a negotiation), but like I said above, it seems a lot clunkier with the general. Whatever you think of the writing, it -does- seem a bit weird that a lot of the nuances characters have when speaking alone suddenly vanishes when they're conversing. But I guess it's always easier to talk to yourself than other people; after all, you always know what you're talking about, no?

Odd as it may sound, I have to wonder how we would perceive the text if the graphics were better. The visuals are a touch MS-painty...not fancy enough to look lush, not quite simplistic enough to look minimalistic, but rather a bit of an awkward middle grand, which gives things a slightly amateur look. It's not a bit deal when gameplay is going on, but I do think it affected my perception of the cutscenes (angry-faced side-view Iji frankly does look a bit silly, for instance). It can be hard to separate one æsthetic element from another, and I have to wonder if a more polished presentation on that front would also make the writing seem slightly more natural. But who can say?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:et in the pre-battle discussion itself, everybody just sort of generally expresses themselves badly and makes sort of shoddy, half-baked arguments which seem more like unfocused, wavering cries of frustration than anything.
I think this is the point. Remember that, by this time, both Iji and Tor have lost the person most dear to them: Dan for Iji, and Iosa for Tor. Neither of them are thinking very clearly at all, especially when confronted with the individual they hold responsible for their loved one's death.

It's been a while since I played it, but I recall both of them expressing themselves at least somewhat more coherently on a pacifist route where Dan survives and

where Iji isn't responsible for Iosa's death.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Kinda spoilerly here, but on a Pacifist run, there are two characters you get to meet that help you out, one from each side of the armies. That is all I'll say here.
Daniel Remar has admitted that the writing could be better.

Anyways, let's lighten the mood a tad bit, and go over a Komato sport that rao didn't read about: Rocket Jumping!

Rocket Jumping
Inspired by Tasen that are sent flying by explosives, this games rules are relative simple. First, a Komato wears special Triple-Alloy Composite Armour, equip an explosive weapon, and stand by a wall. They then fire at the wall at near point blank distance, blasting themselves across the scoring field. Thanks to the armour, the Komato survives with only minor injuries.
A variation exists where a 2nd participant tries to shoot the 1st player in the air. They then fly so far and high, they usually die from hitting the ground.

These logbooks about the Rocket Jumpin and Hyper Turret Defense are actually subtle clues on how to find shortcuts and secrets, especially in Sectors 8 and 9. I don't think Ultra Minefield Seek and Run is a hint for anything, and thank goodness.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Even in your Iji, F.O.E.!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Sector Z: To access, kick the nearby Tasen Soldier (you need a Strength of 4) closer to the 2nd lift, and have her shoot a Rocket towards the wall. Walk through the opened passage, and you will find a teleporter. However, you need to find all 10 posters to use it.

A bizzare interdimensional place, it always reduces your HP to 1. You only have your kick, shotgun, and maybe the Machinegun to keep you alive. Enemies here deal armour damage on contact, but they all have 1HP. They do not go toward your kill count. Beating Sector Z leads straight into Sector 2, and Dan will ask Iji where the heck was she. Sector Z will also be available in Single Sector Play.
The 1st section is based on Norfair in Metroid. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sections are based on Remar's past games: RetroBattle, Castle of Elite, and Hero.

As an easter egg, you'll get messages if you try to Crack the enemies found here:
White sphere: "Eww, squishy!"
Blue fuzz: "Eww, creepy!"
Trapper: "Eww, weird!"
Drone: "Incompatible technology for cracking"
(on a related note, trying to Crack a Turret that was knocked off its base also gives an error message)

To reach the blocked off Teleporter in the 4th section, you need 100% (Unlock all 12 Extras; find all Posters, Ribbons, Hidden Skills; beat all Sudden Death Sectors).

I've also started 2 new sections on the first page: Unlockable and Secrets, and Lore, but they may still be unfinished.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

So how exactly does one do a pacifist run of this? Just watched episode 13 and I really wanna play it now, and may as well see what's different when you're not murdering everyone.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Yo Sebby, can you tell what the hell am I missing in the game?

From what I can tell the only thing I haven't done is beat the game in Ultimortal/

Unlocking Turbo Mode

, which as far as I know doesn't count towards opening the Sector Z teleporter. Hard to tell what I'm missing since most of what I did was back in 2011 :v

e:
Xirix wrote:So how exactly does one do a pacifist run of this? Just watched episode 13 and I really wanna play it now, and may as well see what's different when you're not murdering everyone.
Use you reflector, block point-blank shots to cause splash damage.
Last edited by Stink Terios 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.