(shouting)

Wings of Vi - Not Myougi's Castle

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Wings of Vi - The Raging Jumping Pikachu

Post by Sebby19 »

Can someone please confirm that the mushroom stayed collected? I'm worried.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote:Can someone please confirm that the mushroom stayed collected? I'm worried.
What purpose does collecting these random fruits even accomplish?
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Gotta give this game credit, it appears to have retained a very consistent level of difficulty throughout...
...Pixel perfect precision platforming consistency is still a form of consistency... :lol:
Alice wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:Can someone please confirm that the mushroom stayed collected? I'm worried.
What purpose does collecting these random fruits even accomplish?
Gotta make that 101% bonus four course dinner with the cooking minigame of course!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Oh man that death counter montage. Glorious. We haven't hit Sen's Fortress yet, but the game is starting to pick up.

I can confirm that the mushroom stayed collected. All items remain collected once the cutscene has fully completed.

And I will not say what it is used for, and I really hope no one else does either.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

WhattayaBrian wrote:Oh man that death counter montage. Glorious. We haven't hit Sen's Fortress yet, but the game is starting to pick up.

I can confirm that the mushroom stayed collected. All items remain collected once the cutscene has fully completed.

And I will not say what it is used for, and I really hope no one else does either.
It's obviously for when Vi sits down to make a Knytt Stories level.

I'm sorry.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

WhattayaBrian wrote:Oh man that death counter montage. Glorious. We haven't hit Sen's Fortress yet, but the game is starting to pick up.

I hope so too. So far there haven't been many unnecessary spoilers except a few in the youtube comments though :

Also, since we were talking about normal/hard differences earlier, that spider tunnel we saw today is absolutely brutal in hard mode.

HP : 6 in normal, 9 in hard
Damage : 20 in normal, 30 in hard

This guy follows you around once you get in its range and alternates between short jump and big jump.
In hard mode you cannot easily kill them since they have so much hp, and it's extremely hard to dodge them since the tunnel is so narrow and they can jump to where you are if you camp. In the end I pretty much had to tank my 3 hits on the hardest spiders because I couldn't find a way to reliably kill them. Combined with the fact that you don't have much room to experiment with their pattern before you get to this place, and that you respawn all the way to the minecart when you die, this was one of the hardest non-bosses segments of the game for me.

Maybe I missed something obvious about them though

WhattayaBrian

Re: Wings of Vi - It had to be lasers

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Yeah they're tricky. Though, people have completed Doomed Demon runs (Doomed modifier makes you die in one hit to anything), so it's certainly possible.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Miyutwo
Sexy Beam
First name: Cheryl Mason
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Miyutwo »

I hope all the collectible food items form some kind of delicious mutant companion once you get all of them.
ImageImage
Two images in my sig now? What is the world coming to!?!
[/spoiler]
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Does using the save point to heal respawn nearby enemies?
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

is myougi, like, the only sapient humanoid demon or what
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

wings of vi, more like wings of PEE
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Ometeotl wrote:Does using the save point to heal respawn nearby enemies?
If it did, that would be really dumb. raocow should've used it to heal while fighting those plants.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

you can't. a savepoint won't heal you if you touch it more than once until you hit another one.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Oh...

At least you still have that magical levitating bunny.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: Wings of Vi - Underwater Minesweeper

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Haha yeah I think that is THE room that made solgryn choose to have non-healing checkpoints. Also I agree that the normal enemies are actually more powerful and more annoying to deal with than bosses (though they still have an weakness in their behaviour you can exploit)

Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

oh gosh golly gee this area is indeed a thing. I'm glad rao's spirits haven't been drained yet~
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Pikabread wrote:I'm glad rao's spirits haven't been drained yet~
...Because he'll need plenty of booze to make it through the next section?
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

I'm really glad raocow played Super Meat Boy before this game and got used to the idea of dying 50 times a section :lol:
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

So is it just me or are there other people here who have beaten the game and gotten most of the secrets that just wince whenever raocow uses his jumps and flutters in the wrong order, and who call out at the screen like 'come on, just jump up there! Check for a secret THERE' every time raocow is near a secret?

Because I totally do that.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:
Pikabread wrote:I'm glad rao's spirits haven't been drained yet~
...Because he'll need plenty of booze to make it through the next section?
Ehehe, I guess you could say that.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Ah yes, the ememies. They're the main reason that when I lost my save, I restarted on Angel rather than try Mortal again. It does sometimes feel cheap when I'm tanking hits no problem, but the game is much more enjoyable to me this way.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

This game would have benefited from not having regular enemies.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

My concern with the normal enemies is that fighting them seems more tedious than anything else. They just take so many hits to destroy. If they took fewer hits but dished out more damage, they could still be equivalently "dangerous" while still allowing for the quick death-retry cycles that the platforming segments allow.
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:So is it just me or are there other people here who have beaten the game and gotten most of the secrets that just wince whenever raocow uses his jumps and flutters in the wrong order, and who call out at the screen like 'come on, just jump up there! Check for a secret THERE' every time raocow is near a secret?

Because I totally do that.
I don't mind so much about the secrets, but I definitely cringe when something is clearly set up to be jump, flutter, jump, and he brute forces it into jump, jump, flutter. But hey, if it works, it works.

Edit:

So I just got a chance to watch today's episode, and I would like to caution people from jumping on the "raocow had trouble with it therefore it's bad" mindset that occasionally takes root. The enemies are not perfect, and certainly worthy of some criticism, but I'd like people to remember that raocow is still learning how to play the game, and therefore the enemies aren't dying as fast as they might. Wings of Vi intends for you to destroy enemies quickly and efficiently so that they don't become overwhelming (like for example filling the screen with bullets). In particular...
Voltgloss wrote:My concern with the normal enemies is that fighting them seems more tedious than anything else. They just take so many hits to destroy. If they took fewer hits but dished out more damage, they could still be equivalently "dangerous" while still allowing for the quick death-retry cycles that the platforming segments allow.
Enemies do die quickly, for the most part. There are three major categories of enemies:

1. Normal enemies: there are pretty much everyone we've seen so far. They have few hit points (<=6, generally), and, with a normal attack that does 4 damage, die in 1 or 2 hits.
2. Stationary enemies: the big purplepink blaster guys from the first area, among others. They have more HP, but don't move and are generally more of a platforming puzzle than an "encounter".
3. <spoiler>: this jackass is in the second to last area, has a bunch of health, and moves around erratically. Meh.

raocow is not using his melee and ranged attacks effectively (which, once again, is fine; he's learning, and we are along for the ride). He's missing shots and not spacing himself correctly. We'll see how he improves over the course of the game.
Last edited by WhattayaBrian 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.