(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: MaGL X2 - SMB2 x MaGL X2 otp

Post by Crow »

obv mafab results
1. FrozenQuills
2. Windslash
3. Willhart
4. Dragon Fogel
5. Holy
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

FrozenQuills wrote:
Imipolex G wrote:Also, it seems that fish bosses are not to be feared in this contest.

You sure about that?
To be fair, that isn't a boss.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
Weird Goonie

Post by Weird Goonie »

It's not a good idea to play any game right before bed, seriously the dreams you can have.

Thoughts on episode 112:

54th - JVyrn: "The Last Appearance of Dr. Peach"

Having a giant platform move along a track most of the level was a neat idea.
However it would of been better if there was more of a variety of traps as you progressed.
It was mainly just targeting paratroopas.

53rd - SilverSwallow: "Lava Lotus in the The Mushroom Kingdom"

Love how you can choose to goof off at Peach's castle or perform your traditional
duties of saving the Kingdom. Also thought the Lava Lotus "sprinklers" were
really neat, though some of their placements seem to make it really hard to
avoid a hit!
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

My MAFAB guess is:
1. Holy
2. Willhart
3. Dragon Fogel
4. Windslash
5. FrozenQuills
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Will the MaFAB winner also get a red username? I was just wondering.

Also predictions
1. Holy
2. Dragon Fogel
3. Willhart
4. FrozenQuills
5. Windslash
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

So I suppose that no one's been keeping a MaGL X2 Rogue's Gallery of all the major antagonists in the game so far, right?
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Ok so favorite of this world just changed O_O I did speak too soon, The Final Appearance of Dr Peach ticked all my flavour boxes so hard. I wish I had time to review because I could gush about it sooo much.

MAFAB Predictions

1) Holy
2) FrozenQuills
3) Dragon Fogel
4) Windslash
5) Willhart
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

Fun fact: my level was my first ever SMBX creation. My boss was my second.
Also, I think I might have left something hidden behind the Shrinklotron? I forget <.<
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

JVyrn's level was a neat level but it apparently didn't quite feel like Trauma Center at first, so I had to rewatch it to appreciate what's it doing a bit more. Like, I didn't expect you to recreate Trauma Center with Lua, but with seeing that game mentioned catching my attention, I was expecting something that captured the vibe of that game a little more (then again, that wasn't required of the level).

Also, I think Aletheia's theme wasn't the most fitting music to use.

And oh ya Team Foxgirl's level was amazing
Blivsey wrote:OBS is doing the stupid thing I can't fix where I can't record the SMBX window. So much for recording those secrets. I have to wait for it to sort itself out. Sorry about that :/
Use Monitor Capture with screen region selection. I honestly don't know why people bother trying Game/Window Capture when it causes problems.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by blue_kirby »

I did not expect the Dr. Peach twist at the end!
"That's embarrassing"
Money

Post by Money »

oh man we're getting into the territory where raocow says "this level was amazing!" after every level. also wooo trauma center i love that series

...loved that series. rip.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

when i hear trauma center, i think of moar krabs

memes are integrated into my every neuron
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Windslash's level... well, gets me annoyed due to a lot of my carelessness.

As in, I keep getting killed for reasons mostly due to my carelessness.
So, it is not this level being too hard: it is me who is ruthless and has a sloppy mario playing skill.

I laugh hard on some parts...
This is really the spoiler. Don't click anymore if you don't want to be spoiled.
[attachment=0]easteregg1.PNG[/attachment]
heh
[attachment=1]bug1.PNG[/attachment]
meh
[attachment=2]easteregg2.PNG[/attachment]
lel
Attachments
easteregg1.PNG
easteregg1.PNG (63.33 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
bug1.PNG
bug1.PNG (44.5 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
easteregg2.PNG
easteregg2.PNG (36.98 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

the one with peach in the jungle i think
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Favourite level of the sauna?
It's a hard choice amongst what the sauna offers, (I feel like I've been making reiterations of this for each world for a bit now, d'oh) but I think I'm with Operations Do Not Come from the Castle. Where the Heck Were You Raised to Think That? They Come from the Lake. Team Foxgirl's and Blivsey's stick in my mind, too.
Windslash
It's a sandshrew, goober

Post by Windslash »

CloudyCloud wrote:Windslash's level... well, gets me annoyed due to a lot of my carelessness.

As in, I keep getting killed for reasons mostly due to my carelessness.
So, it is not this level being too hard: it is me who is ruthless and has a sloppy mario playing skill.

I laugh hard on some parts...
This is really the spoiler. Don't click anymore if you don't want to be spoiled.
You entirely made me sad.. breaking the level like that :P
Funfact:
You didn't need to bug through originally, because the water layer drifted up and down to give a simulation of 'tide'. So I left it in and put the talking bom-ombs and the sandshrew at the end as a jest. But I found having large bodies of water constantly moving caused my test computer to make the level lag HORRIBLY. So I stopped the tile movement. Now you had to glitch in. You could still jump over it, if you played luigi and used a fish as an ice block.

JVyrn your level was pretty awesome. It's kind of a shame that if you chose the 'lotus' path that you weren't friendly to all the lotuses. But I guess that would make the level too easy huh? But wow, really, first ever level? That's amazing.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Windslash wrote:large bodies of water constantly moving caused my test computer to make the level lag HORRIBLY.
That's just true of moving layers in general. This isn't the first level in the contest to have removed layer shenanigans due to this issue.

Also does anyone remember Lava Water Star in MAGLX1? That's the same problem.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Hoeloe wrote:Also does anyone remember Lava Water Star in MAGLX1? That's the same problem.
I think that was one of the rare levels that was unplayably laggy for raocow too. I also remember having quite a lot of lag on some of the other levels, even though they worked fine for raocow. I feel like the new devkit has helped with some of this a little though, and even that spiny factory level worked pretty well for him earlier this contest, even though it had a lot of moving tiles.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

That first level had a really appropriate atmosphere without going full Touhou, so fantastic job with that.
The second level was HUGE yet unlike my level, was pretty easy for how big it was. However it wasn't easy for the secret star, so a second midpoint would be nice for the treehouse part. The cow graphics were pretty cool too.

BTW we are in the top 50 now: http://pastebin.com/SxkLv9sg
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Here is the music for today. Are they saying 'read' or 'real'? Who knows, but this song is still very lax.
jUST fOR fUN = composed by Rapture

Oh, and sorry for not adding a "laughing cow" warning for the second level, but I really did not want to spoil the surprise for raocow.
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Ah, return of the anime hair plant. The library's looking very much like the cat planet cat world, but with hard covers instead. Pretty neat.

Swoopers in the The Scarlet Devil Mansion
Whew, the housekeeping really let the place go. Pretty spiffy for a first level, definitely has that eerie / undead atmosphere, and the difficulty seems to add some panic into the mix as well. Judges kinda cover my thoughts on the second star, though :P

Behold, There Is a Milk Regret!
Not the farnch! A ton of work definitely went into this, though I can see how it might become bothersome to get a fair ways ahead in the level, only to get bumped off by something and have to redo a bunch of stuff to get back to where you were. Regardless, the cow sprites are pretty great and the level itself has nice construction that's maybe rendered more dangerous than it normally would be by all the hyped cattle. Also seems like raocow has no issues bashing his fellow livestock.

And while it's probably already been pointed out by someone else by now... top 50 starting tomorrow, woo!
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Windslash wrote:
You didn't need to bug through originally, because the water layer drifted up and down to give a simulation of 'tide'. So I left it in and put the talking bom-ombs and the sandshrew at the end as a jest. But I found having large bodies of water constantly moving caused my test computer to make the level lag HORRIBLY. So I stopped the tile movement. Now you had to glitch in. You could still jump over it, if you played luigi and used a fish as an ice block.

JVyrn your level was pretty awesome. It's kind of a shame that if you chose the 'lotus' path that you weren't friendly to all the lotuses. But I guess that would make the level too easy huh? But wow, really, first ever level? That's amazing.
Actually it is done by placing Mario near the second sandshrew. The bug... surprisingly makes me unable to move anymore.
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

Swoopers in the Scarlet Devil Mansion:

No custom death effects for the swoopers and "open" effects for the red door!? 0/10
This level looked great, apart from maybe a single underwater room that felt like "filler" to me.
If it weren't for the second star, this looks like a top-10 contender to me.
I also liked how the mansion wasn't filled with rinka shooters and fire bars.

Behold, There Is a Milk Regret!

This looked like a mix of great level structure and design with nice custom graphics, but mixed in with some beginner mistakes such as cut-off, missing death effects and misplaced warps. It looked really easy to get lost in the second part, though.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: MaGL X2 - No one made a book about a floating ear... yet. Maybe if it was crawling...

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Geez.. working when there is entirely not much time (of productiveness) to get done what needs to be done kind of stinks. Then again, maybe it's just me.
Level reviews for two days coming right up.

(54th) JVyrn: The Last Appearance of Dr. Peach

That... didn't feel like the innards of a body at all! Though you did take a great number of homing koopas, and made it work. You made good use of the (mostly) vanilla resources, and made them look pretty good. While the two halves felt a disconnect in terms of gameplay, the koopas' presence throughout unified the level somewhat. Nice work here...

(53rd) SilverSwallow: Lava Lotus In The Mushroom Kingdom

Having two paths are nice, though I'm more a fan of the path away from the castle. The different Lava Lotus spreads, and their different uses were neat, and the sheer density of Lava Lotus really set in that the whole place was getting overrun. (There must b a better way to deal with a disagreement with a princess, though. But it was kind of funny) Good work.

Day 2: (I would hang out in a library. They're nice and quiet...)

(52nd) Ivy: Swoopers in the Scarlet Devil Mansion

The atmosphere here is very good, and the platform challenges are nice, varied, and suitably spooky, but the layout of this whole thing kind of irks me... Why is that secret path simply a shortcut? Why is the second star in the house? (Because it was going to be a sphere... ...That might actually be worse design, thinking about it. Common, but still a design flaw) This is VERY good for a first level, though.

(51st) Kaupa: Behold! There is a Milk Regret!

Franch is a hilarious word. This whole thing is ridiculously silly, and I really like that it's not taken too seriously.
The novelty does wear off a bit over time, and that secret path could have been executed better, but this is really good and funny, and there were some secrets, too... Great job with this!
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

raocow wrote:nobody has made a story of a floating ear or evil nose
this is the Thunder Ear, and enemy in the game Okami
there is also the earth nose
and ice lips
:pal: Image :pal: