(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: MaGL X2 - Horikawa x Updating the Thread OTP

Post by KayhemMaus »

Just throwing my hat in the judging conversation pool here.

When I said RenaTurnip was Hori-carried, I want to make one thing very clear about that statement. I never said it was a bad or negative thing. Yes, perhaps I would have judged it lower, but I'm not a judge on this competition. If I was, I'd have probably scored it nearer the scores of the other two, but it's okay that Horikawa scored it what she did.

Let's be honest. Some people just find gaming more fun than others. People find enjoyment in different places. That's why it's better to have 3 judges over 1. Because this way we have a spread of three different people's tastes experiencing the same flavour. It's like, if one judge likes chocolate, one strawberry and one vanilla. They all eat the Neapolitan and say they didn't enjoy the other parts as much as their flavour. And that's fine! Nobody's asking them to fall in love with the rest of the flavours, just to be honest in their opinions.

Horikawa has a big heart and a lot of love. Sturg and Quill are a little more stoic about it. That's fine too.

So just have fun and let's be happy shiny Mario fun time enjoyers!
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Willhart wrote:Now that we are on the top 4, has anyone here managed to comment on every level from the start of the contest? It would be kind of a feat. I think I missed couple of days/levels this year though.
I missed the first few worlds since I was lurking, but starting from my joining date, I managed to not miss a single level.
I could provide commentary for the earlier levels, if you wish for me to....
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

QubicTom wrote:If anyone else posted developer commentary videos that I didn't comment on, do let me know, I'd really like to check them out :)
I made a dev commentary post, not video.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

ano0maly wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:I'm surprised no one has put me in the top 5. :(
Try making a level and going to other forums in here

and take the Doctor with you when you do

??? Do you mean Doctor Shemp? I think he made a level.

Seriously, I don't know what you mean by doctor.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

my dev commentary: Really Should've Read The Rules.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: MaGL X2 - omg top 4 hype soon

Post by TaviTurnip »

KayhemMaus wrote:Just throwing my hat in the judging conversation pool here.

When I said RenaTurnip was Hori-carried, I want to make one thing very clear about that statement. I never said it was a bad or negative thing. Yes, perhaps I would have judged it lower, but I'm not a judge on this competition. If I was, I'd have probably scored it nearer the scores of the other two, but it's okay that Horikawa scored it what she did.
I don't think it's a fight or an argument at this point :o I think for the most part most of us have gotten what we wanted to know from this general topic :P The fact that Horikawa enjoys that many levels that much to warrant giving them 90+ and that the other judges went about things a little differently. That's kinda why I said that my position was ultimately about all the judges (and of course, all levels were) because Horikawa has given other 94s and so it was really Sturg's extra enjoyment that made the push, if you wanna look at it that way. And further on that point, you could say that if Quill was less confused about the flight section, I could have taken first place maybe somehow

Also I'm having a hard time telling if I like made anyone feel attacked (or defended against) in all my ramblings the past few days, but I haven't meant to :< I firmly believe in my defense of the sky zone and rao-lens subjects but like if I made someone feel like I was confrontational about a subject, that wasn't my intention, I hope you know that ;_; Just that I wanted to speak up on the things I felt about.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Money

Re: MaGL X2 - Joe x Coffee OTP

Post by Money »

im disappointed today's title wasnt "green Jesus"
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I'm not afraid to admit green Jesus was my favorite part of this video
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Re: MaGL X2 - Green x Jesus OTP

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Oh wow, today's level is definitely one of my favourites, that was an awesome blend of atmosphere and gameplay. The boss was definitely the weakest area though. Sure it was easy, but gameplay-wise it looked extremely passive and had an incredibly basic second phase where you were essentially completely out of danger. That being said, if it had a more involved boss fight, it probably would've been harder, and would've then needed another midpoint to stop length from becoming a concern. On the whole though, wow, that was quite the thing.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Now THAT was an INCREDIBLE level. I expected pretty much nothing less of Shinbison though; I absolutely love their designs and graphics. But man the whole mechanical and radioactive nature of the level with all the moving platforms, drills, extremely dangerous "water", and all the little cutscenes really make this level absolutely fantastic. Definitely one of my favorites in the contest now. Super congrats on 4th!

Also super looking forward to the top 3 now:

MaGLX2

arabsalmon - Talkhaus, Newcomer, Skypehauser
Ignoritus - SMBX Forums / Talkhaus, Judge in MaGLX, 1st in SMBX Community Contest 1
ravegg - SMW Central, Talkhaus

Looks like y'all are guaranteed to win prizes now!
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Why did raocow call that thing in Toad's hat today a Pidgeot? It was obviously a shiny Zubat.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I actually didn't remember what those white arrow things that Sturg was talking about were until I went back and watched the level again. Which kind of proves his point. I agree that it would have been nice to see them used more throughout the level. The level did look nice. It appears to be somewhat long, but it's not too long, and the difficulty is fair. The boss is easy but as I said about an earlier level, having an easy boss makes it unlikely that you'll have to replay the second half of the level to get to the boss, which is good.

Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

QubicTom wrote:If anyone else posted developer commentary videos that I didn't comment on, do let me know, I'd really like to check them out :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHOjtBKB2cA
Also a few more details in the post found in my signature.
fart.
Shinbison

Post by Shinbison »

Well, I like my place, is really cool and is a great conquest ( I almost obtained a premium haha), thanks to all judges and everyone! About my level, I really like it ( the music too), I tried make a nice graphic for this atmosphere, and I put many gimmicks for that you have a nice gameplay. I wanted put more things in the level, but it would be more long. About the boss, i wanted make a great boss, but I've used the limit of layer and events, and this is a problem, anyway, and her is easy because I don't wanted make a "frustrating level"... ( and is my first boss maybe?). Thanks again! and congratulation for all participants and the top 3! Really this contest have great levels and ideas, congratulations guys again!! ;)
sorry my bad english again, anyway.
Last edited by Shinbison 8 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: MaGL X2 - Radioactive Bounce Zone

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

(Alt title: Mario's Chemical Romance)
It wasn't a Pidgeot. (though that would be 3 times as cool, honestly) It was a Pigit. You know, those birds in SMB2 that are always riding carpets. ...And you're expected to use them, unlike Lakitu in 88% of Mario Maker levels.

Now it's time for a level that might just put the best of that game to shame. (maybe)

4th: Shinbison-Kof: Behold, There Is A White Bounce!

I really like this kind of title, and I hope it stays for good.
That aside, this is amazing. The graphics in this level are great, and the respriting is great, too. This makes the feeling of a factory overdosed on radiation really convincing. Sure, the white arrows don't see too much use, but I think you used them enough... Each unique mechanic gets their on time in the... blackness... before fading off. You did well to make sure each part doesn't get stale. That said, this level could use a midpoint before the second elevator section. The boss was great, too. It was balanced very well, and manages to be an interesting fight.
Also, the fact that the English in this level wasn't perfect makes the dialogue BETTER than it would have been. The pirate captain is a fun and awesome figure, and all the radiation in the level could be reasonably assumed to be messing with Mario's accent. All in all, you deserve this praise, and I look forward to more of your ideas.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

WARNING

3rd place is pretty good guys
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

SPOILERS!! GODDAMMIT
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Truhan wrote:Why did raocow call that thing in Toad's hat today a Pidgeot? It was obviously a shiny Zubat.
Pidget :P The SMB2 bird. (Not Albatoss, the carpet bird!)

Also this level kinda mostly sums up what my hopes were, in a nutshell. Great design plus fun. I expected nothing less of Shinbison, especially what with last year, he's definitely one of the best designers we've had in these contests. I hope you continue to participate in level design projects, Shinbison! <3
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

mini not so serious rant about post-apocalyptic level, please don't take it personally anyone

I thought this level was pretty good, but I think there were many other great levels before it, I think this level deserves its top 10 or top 25 or maybe even top 5, but i think there are many equally good levels with great gameplay + aesthetics/atmosphere/flavor in the last few weeks

I feel like the only reason this level got the edge over so many others is because how dark and dreary and sad and post apocalyptic, and because everybody loves zombies and fall out and post apocalyptic and stuff, i just don't get it

do people like it because its realistic?(the real possible outcome in our modern future) or because its not realistic?(there is still plenty of bright clear skies and fresh grass in many places in the world)

I think maybe the bright colorful themes are too boring for some people maybe, but i think they are under appreciated compared to dark atmospheres, I think mario/nintendo/fantasy(games/movies/books/etc) are great for better than life realities, the dark themes are welcome too but i wish they weren't always the most applauded themes, i would have rather seen themes like this in the top 25-50 back when it was still halloween time, although the level creator/judges can't really control when in the year the level was going to debut

I liked the big drill, i liked the boss(especially the happily ever after outcome where the mist goes away after the boss dies, as if the curse on the land is broken and maybe things can start getting better), and some of the gameplay features like the elevator lift, I just don't get why the first score that everybody seems to agree 85+ scores has to be a sad dark level

~end not serious rant~

sorry for the negativity, still really liked the level, just dark themes aren't my favorite, really looking forward to the top 3
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Shinbison-Kof:
Good things: amazing, wow
Bad things: Arrows were just there
Misc. comments: .....
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Kukironosuke wrote:do people like it because its realistic?(the real possible outcome in our modern future) or because its not realistic?(there is still plenty of bright clear skies and fresh grass in many places in the world)
I don't think that's it. Compare this to juuust about any other level in the contest and it's about how well the level was constructed, graphically and in gameplay. It's got more attention to detail than nearly all other levels (see the lava power plant level earlier in the contest for a similar deal in great design) and I'm not completely sure Horikawa is the sort who's going to call all her praises because something is dark and edgy and full of zombies xD Doesn't really seem like the cup of tea of our judges.

To be honest I didn't get that feeling from this level at all, though. It was about a pirate dude and funny writing looking for a "white bounce" and that to me was kind of the opposite of dark and edgy, it was very silly and funny and enjoyable, the level with Link and the zombie Toads was a lot more grim and kinda cartoonishly graphic in that regard. That Link level is the one I'd apply these words to. I'm not trying to put your words down about it, just that it feels like maybe you judged the book for its cover without reading it much, if that makes sense. If the dark scene just isn't your thing, then it just isn't your thing :P
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

it very much is a matter of presentation, like the toad zombies i thought of as a joke because they weren't very realistic zombies/environment, it very much felt like a video game.

The same way i don't feel bad for goombas that mario stomps to death on in normal mario brothers, because the presentation is just a blob flashing out of existence, but when the atmosphere is about like realistic decay, radioativity, death, dark hazy skies, it hits closer to home and it makes me not like it as much

the pyscho kirby "unca weegie" levels i actually have a bigger issue with, I feel like this years king deedeedee level wasn't so bad, i don't like that creepy kirby because kirby is my mascot too, but i feel the way he handled sick deedeedee/the insides was cartoony enough to not be offensive, the kirby itself as well as maglx the first's uncle uigi level i didn't like at all because of the detailed hellish/chaotic theme

I'm ok with violence/death/dark themes, as long as they are presented in a harmless cartoony fashion, its the realistic darkness that i don't enjoy, but i still tolerate and respect when its done well, especially if the game play makes up for the theme
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ignoritus »

Wow. Shinbison's is the first level where I'm like "wow I beat this?". Super amazing level all around. I knew he's good, but that was thoroughly impressive.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

RenaTurnip wrote:
Truhan wrote:Why did raocow call that thing in Toad's hat today a Pidgeot? It was obviously a shiny Zubat.
Pidget :P The SMB2 bird. (Not Albatoss, the carpet bird!)

Also this level kinda mostly sums up what my hopes were, in a nutshell. Great design plus fun. I expected nothing less of Shinbison, especially what with last year, he's definitely one of the best designers we've had in these contests. I hope you continue to participate in level design projects, Shinbison! <3
It's a joke. They sound the same, you see.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Congratulations Shinbison on an amazing level, with both good gameplay and lots of attention to detail!

Also... congrats to your top-3!