(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Re: MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Horikawa Otane wrote:So imagine the (imho justified) hate that would spew when someone found out that level they worked 100 hours on got rejected because they submitted it like... 2 seconds after someone else.
This could be easily worked around by a sign-up period. People first sign up, get feedback if they're in and then they can start designing.
You're awesome.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

The issue with a submission cap was just stated above, but the issue with a signup period/limit is if a lot of people sign up for the contest and never submit. I'm also not fond of "raocow only plays the top 100" sorta deal.
However I will say that having a submission cap gives more people incentive to finish their levels earlier and not wait until the last minute, and having a signup cap encourages people who actually signed up to make something. I also really don't want another contest with 272+ entries again.

I would personally have a submission cap of around 150 to 200 entries and/or a signup cap of 200 to 250 if I were to run/organize it or something.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Piter Lauchy wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:So imagine the (imho justified) hate that would spew when someone found out that level they worked 100 hours on got rejected because they submitted it like... 2 seconds after someone else.
This could be easily worked around by a sign-up period. People first sign up, get feedback if they're in and then they can start designing.
That is totally my plan, but the reason was to figure out how many songs to collect in the first place. After the songs are gathered, they are all handed out randomly over 1 day, and then the contest deadline will be X amount of time from there.

One detail I forgot to mention is when you get your music box, you are not given the names of the song. This is so you won't base your level off of the name instead. The names won't be revealed until rao reaches the level in the episode.
The point of the unknown name is, say you get a Kirby song (most likely a remix). Hopefully, the best case scenario is that they don't know its a Kirby track, and they just make whatever they feel matches the song, instead of just a Kirby themed level. And if they do recognize it, oh well, can't really control that. But that 2nd scenario is a lot more likely to happen if I just give the name away.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

All that really needs to be done is to disincentivize people from making joke levels and "I don't care about winning, I just to see raocow suffer" levels. Legit tries that miss the mark IMO shouldn't be penalized, just ones that aren't trying.
FrozenQuills wrote:I also really don't want another contest with 272+ entries again.
Keep in mind that there was a big push with MAGLX2 for anyone and anyone to submit anything (IIRC. correct me if I'm wrong). I doubt MAGLX3 would get even close to that much.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Re: music-based contest:

Turtwig hosted a similar contest not too long ago: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 69&t=12392

It's pretty much just like you described: people got a song (that was renamed "contest song X" so it couldn't be traced (unless you right clicked and went to "properties," but you can't win them all, I suppose)) and had to make a level based on it. Contestants were allowed to use other songs of their choice, but the song they were given had to be used throughout most of the level. However, instead of music usage affecting the score, it was judged on a pass/fail basis, where songs that didn't fit the level (which, now that I think about it, there weren't any levels that did that) were disqualified.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

A point that's getting glossed over here is the difference between "top 100" rankings and "first 100" submissions. Top 100 would mean that only the higher rankings would be actually LPed (or properly played, at least). That wouldn't cut down judging time since you need to judge the levels to determine the top 100. First 100, as Horikawa is suggesting (option 4), would mean that the submission deadline is when a quota of number of levels is met (or a determined due date, whichever is sooner). That would limit the size of both the contest (and thus judging/processing) and the let's play.

I do like Horikawa's idea of showcasing all the levels but skimming through the lower entries quickly, possibly with SMBX cheats.
Mikkofier wrote:If there's a "top 100 only" cap, I know I wouldn't take part. I don't care about winning, only that raocow gets to play my level.
That's sort of the point though - we do want to decrease the entry count so that the LP doesn't take too long. And also so that more serious contenders compete; therefore people that are in just for raocow, particularly those that don't pay any attention to contest instructions, risk not getting their level seen, as SAJewers said.

If we go with a cap on number of levels, I agree with Piter Lauchy's suggestion of having a sign-up period first, so that people would know they qualified for the competition before they start. Even without the level cap, I felt that it's better to have separate deadlines for signing up and for submitting a level, so that late signups would still have sufficient time to make something.
Horikawa Otane wrote:The thing is, it depends on how much you care about 'accurate' responses from the judges. Like, I don't mean 'accurate' as in some kind of objective quality to the levels (again, I'm VERY against that way of thinking), but rather 'accurate' as to the experience of the judge in regards to the level.
This is just an aside, but I want to state this because it seems that you bring this point up whenever opportunity rises. When there are disagreements in level judgments and you declare this statement in response, it doesn't mean people won't disagree with that statement itself. As Ignoritus said,
Ignoritus wrote:1) This is an argument we've had time and time again, and I will restate my stance that while some aspects of judging are innately subjective, others are objective. However, this is delving into a very complex debate that if we wanted to have would probably be best off in its own topic and separate from this. My original point wasn't really about objectivity vs. subjectivity anyways, just that we should try to make sure the judges are all on the same page with what facilitates a 100 vs. a 90 for example.
I personally wouldn't call it "objective". But I do emphasize the need for the judges to have some consensus and foreknowledge on basic principles and on what aspects they're actually trying to judge. Have a degree of "subjectively judge based on that objective ideal", as SAJewers put it.

The consequence of this is, don't be surprised if future showrunners decide to have a more defined approach than the last two contests that had full subjectivity and full leeway for each judge.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

It sounds like you are referring to the quantity of the scores and things like using a scale of "5 is below minimum" vs "5 is average". I'm referring to the qualitative things, having defined aspects of a level you're judging, such as whether you're supposed to be focusing on fun gameplay primarily or fun experience in general.

As for what you said, I don't mean that if we stick to a better formula it will work completely as intended. But the showrunners can say "this structure is what we've tried to follow". And isn't that what we're doing here currently, discussing how to design the structure for the next contest?

I guess I want to say this: I don't disagree that at some level, the judges' evaluations would be rooted in subjectivity. But I'm not comfortable that when this point is stated, it sounds like the judgments are reduced to irrelevance, or that there shouldn't be some agreed rules on what the judges should look for. If you're not meaning it that way, I stand corrected. If you are, I will have to disagree, and all I'm saying is that future contests may be run by people that disagree and have a different philosophy.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL X2 - next stream when x quill x enjl OTP

Post by snoruntpyro »

OH MAN MAGLX2 STREAM AGAIN?? get ready for the exciting continuation of caacx the anime at my hitbox channel.

This time it's gonna be at 7 pm (in an hour and a half)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

That was mostly fun stream to watch. A lot of progress again too.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

The one night when I don't check for possible stream is, of course, stream day :cry:
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

HEY GUYS STREAM TODAY 6:30 EST (40 minutes from this post)

TOUHOU AND STUFF
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

Pyro wrote:HEY GUYS STREAM TODAY 6:30 EST (40 minutes from this post)

TOUHOU AND STUFF
Why did you keep thinking the green switch HAD to be pressed? raocow made the same mistake in his LP.

I still can't believe people have trouble with that entire segment. I keep forgetting that when you create something, it becomes hard to judge its difficulty level after you've tested it a bunch of times. Also, Touhou seems to be a "red area" which I can somewhat understand since I'd probably cringe if someone made a "MLP:FiM" level.

...I'm surprised nobody has made a joke level based on that.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

...That because all the little boys and girls really into ponies were busy actually watching the show instead of memeing.
...There's also the fact that video game adaptations are rare, and if they did exist, they are either not good, or just somewhat obscure fan efforts. (If Chugga ever romhacks, expect a small flood of them)
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Re: MaGL X2 - some thread title joke hahahaa laugh

Post by snoruntpyro »

OH MAN VIDEOGAMES?! This time, World 12. Which means edgy Luigi and flashing water (maybe). 6:00 EST again
Willhart
Banned

Re: MaGL X2 - some thread title joke hahahaa laugh

Post by Willhart »

Pyro wrote:OH MAN VIDEOGAMES?! This time, World 12. Which means edgy Luigi and flashing water (maybe). 6:00 EST again
Will be fun to watch. I hope I can get there this time too.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I'll be uploading the music used on the hubs on youtube, so it'll be easier to listen.

Here is a preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrbpUTelgnY
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

after like a month or something NEXT STREAM IS AT 7 pm est
Willhart
Banned