(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Shinoda

Re: MaGL X2 - Sturg × LUESoldat OTP

Post by Shinoda »

GB emulator in SMBX? That's freakin' amazing! Maybe it would be possible to do an SNES emulator and shove ASMT in there? "The Arcade" could have it in a MAGLX remake or something. An Actual arcade machine with ASMT.

My question is.. Does it save? Is the back sprite for battles also modified to be Demo?

Also... Where could one get a copy of the gold IPS patch with demo? Just for fun? I'd play it with that!
Last edited by Shinoda 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Shinoda wrote:words
I also would like the patch file for that gold hack. Because distributing the actual rom is illegal.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

This whole contest has been a blast to experience, from start to finish.
I'm looking forward to how what we've seen here may lead to even better SMBX experiences in the future.

To all who managed, judged, designed, and otherwise helped create this project: Thanks for make.
And raocow: Thanks for play.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

raekuul wrote:
Shinoda wrote:words
I also would like the patch file for that gold hack. Because distributing the actual rom is illegal.
Fixed
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I made the new sprite for Demo there. Original idea was to go with one of the Mario games, but respriting those characters would have probably taken too long. I'd say this one worked really well. Kinda wish he went to the naming screen too, since you see the sprite there too.

Will have to try different games with this in the future. Looks like fun.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Well, that was a fun trip! I love collab/contest LPs the most, and this one was no exception. Great work by everyone involved!

Now to figure out how the hell to make a SMW level...
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

What happened to cats-on-ice's bonus level with talkhausers in it?

Did it, like, fall through?

I was looking forward to raocow's reaction.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Jayoshi wrote:So, what was the thing about Mario Maker again? I forgot what it was.
One of the level developers worked for Nintendo and due to Mario Maker, he was afraid of making a SMBX level for the postgame tier due to fears of legal action (according to Horikawa, she said it would've been possible on the last MAGLX).
Grounder wrote:What happened to cats-on-ice's bonus level with talkhausers in it?
I was thinking the same thing ... I remember it was a VERY one-off post back when MAGLX2 first started as well.

Anyhow, I was VERY surprised at the Pokemon Gold type of deal ... although I thought it was going to be Pokemon Red or Blue for some reason. It's still impressive what Luna can actually do ...

As for Cat Planet, I thought that one was going to appear in the Developer's Tier, but I still thought it was an adorable level.

Anyhow, it's almost a year now. MAGLX2 is over ... and we're all here. That was a great experience. I'm glad I was able to watch and participate in this one. :)
Last edited by blue_kirby 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"That's embarrassing"
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The music for the 100% completion fish space area is "Wish" from Yume Nikki Gensou.

Kevsoft
LunaLua Master Developer

Post by Kevsoft »

I would like to thank everyone for this great contest and I would like to thank Horikawa for the great support of LunaLua in this contest. It was amazing what ya all did with this technology!
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Haha, nice stuff with the cat planet thing... Nice stuff Sylvie. A rather nice final level-level for it!

So, about that gameboy emulator, some backstory:

No, I didn't code a gameboy emulator from scratch in Lua, but I did port one already in Lua, to run properly in LunaLua

Horikawa once upon a time noticed that someone had already made a gameboy emulator in Lua, garryboy for as a thing for Garry's Mod, and asked if I could get this running in LunaLua. I subsequently managed to port this emulator to LunaLua,

Originally like WIllhart notes, the idea was going to be using Super Mario Land or Super Mario Land 2, with some sprite edits to be Super Demo Land, however this emulator was actually very buggy with the Super Mario Land series in game-breaking ways. I managed to make the emulator more accurate so it stopped being buggy with them, which was interesting.

Ended up being the Pokemon due to issues respriting those though as Willhart notes.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

What will I watch with coffee in the morning now?

Three cheers to raocow for play and to [organizers] and [level-makers] for getting this all together! What a behemoth.

It almost feels full circle to end this massive Mario-editor adventure with Cat Planet and an emulator.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Wow, this has been a long LP, but it's been a lot of fun.

Major props to Horikawa for organizing and running the whole thing, she has an outstanding work ethic for a something that's a silly fun internet project.

So the next Maggle will be a SMW one eh? I, uh, I may not participate there. Or, maybe I will! I've never ever touched SMW hacking before in my life though so I anticipate something of a disaster if I try it, ha ha.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

blue_kirby wrote:
Grounder wrote:What happened to cats-on-ice's bonus level with talkhausers in it?
I was thinking the same thing ... I remember it was a VERY one-off post back when MAGLX2 first started as well.
It was in development for a long time. I suspect it just didn't get finished in time, which is pretty sad.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: MaGL X2 - Talkhaus x Waluigi OTP

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote:What arguments?
No seriously, I haven't been told any.
I've personally argued with you at least 2-3 times in the past when you started pushing keyboards. And that's only me. There have been numerous other occasions when others have argued with you because you're so obnoxious about it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Hoeloe wrote:
blue_kirby wrote:
It was in development for a long time. I suspect it just didn't get finished in time, which is pretty sad.
Aw.

At least I got some closure, then.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I like keyboard too, mostly because I don't have a controller on my pc currently. I do like how they feel like and play though, and agree that both are probably pretty good if you get used to them.

I wonder what is next.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Willhart wrote:I like keyboard too, mostly because I don't have a controller on my pc currently. I do like how they feel like and play though, and agree that both are probably pretty good if you get used to them.

I wonder what is next.
Mario Gives Up 3, I think.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well. For months now I've been updating the Lost Levels spreadsheet with the name of actually-used levels and now I'm not doing that any more. Feels a little weird to end that part of my routine. After almost half a year of doing something, it's going to feel strange to stop.

I'm not that surprised by the difficulty of the Cat Planet level because, after all, the original game was pretty tough in spots. It looked like a fun little intense course.

Part of me does kind of wish the final level had a star even though it was more of an exhibition than anything else. Though obviously I can see how it would be hard to implement that - could you even make it so you had to do something in the emulator to get a star?

I'm glad I participated in this contest, and I did way better than I expected considering I've never made any sort of platformer level before this. I feel like I remember individual levels less than I did with MAGL X, but there were still a lot of good ones.

Although, I don't think I'm going to 100% this with only power-up cheapness like I did the last contest. Some of the levels are pretty excessive, after all...
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Yay cat planet cat planet cats!

Good closer to the series, hitting 170 episodes of hilarity, heart break, face breaking and general insanity. We may never have an experience like this again!

Well... until MaGLX3 maybe...
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

What a ride. Huge thanks to Horikawa, the judges, Willhart, Rednaxela, and all yall for being mostly cool.

Also the Demo sprites I made for my pokemons thing are better 8-)
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

The cat planet level made me feel existential.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

sylvie wrote:So raocow seemed to get most of the intentionally hard parts of my level pretty quickly, but had a ton of trouble with the silly donut block jumping filler section.

Interesting.
Nice to see you again, but why did you change your name from Chuchino?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Oh well, time to learn SMW hacking, I guess...
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: MaGL X2 - Everyone x Feelings

Post by TaviTurnip »

Man...

Man.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!