(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Tenlade

Re: MaGL X2 - Horikawa x LunaLua OTP

Post by Tenlade »

Grounder wrote:dark pit
Its me, im the one who plays as dark pit (when im not playing as duck hunt)
Count Mohawk wrote:The Hurly Gloves from SMRPG were totally a thing and would be both fitting and hilarious.
I dream of the day of the return of smrpg bowser and his chain chomp flails.

im curious what people decide to make for levels of these characters because im having a hard time figuring out how you could make a challenging level outside of dudespam, and even then Turn everything Into Coins would beat that.
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

You know, the graphics are off currently, but considering they're like, the easiest thing to change, I don't think that's a huge issue as of yet.

But gameplay... I mean, I love what they are, but Wario's set doesn't suit him. I know this level was designed to show off his ability, so a real level wouldn't be as saturated with mushrooms, but there's still something to be said for transformations and a shoulder charge. Would the charge be too hard to code?

Not that I wouldn't like a character with this moveset though! Hell, this would have suited Bowser just as much as his own.

Speaking of, I do like Bowser! But the dudes that fire weapons... way too spammy. That needs toning WAY down in beta. It's easy town.

As for the invincibility glitch, I'm 100% sure it has something to do with quitting out of the Ninja Bomberman level. Whatever processes you created to make him as is, I think it doesn't turn off properly on a stage quit.

That's my theory at least.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Tenlade's presence in this thread makes me realize an inkling would be a super cool platforming character, even if he or she wouldn't really play a lot like Splatoon itself. If you were gonna pick any Nintendo character to have a "run and gun" platforming style for this engine, that would be neat.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I'd suggest King Dedede as maybe fitting Wario's moveset. Still a big heavy guy that makes sense to have a ground pound and a greed based attack, but with more of an association with "minions" for the summon-flying-enemies set of powers.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Seeing these new characters and thinking about MaGLX2 as a whole made me remember something.

Something that really wasn't used that much in this contest was the notorious horse, I don't think that many levels used Yoshi. SMBX has like eight different flavors of yoshi. Just seems like yoshi was largely ignored as a gameplay mechanic.

Granted Yoshi's are super powerful and are harder to lose but it seems like there weren't that many levels that utilized them.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

TaviTurnip wrote:Tenlade's presence in this thread makes me realize an inkling would be a super cool platforming character, even if he or she wouldn't really play a lot like Splatoon itself. If you were gonna pick any Nintendo character to have a "run and gun" platforming style for this engine, that would be neat.
An inkling would be neat if you could do something like a link clone weilding a brush/rollar, that could turn into a smaller squid form (that i dunno, plays like toad or something). a character that could change size seems like something you could do a lot with , though I wouldn't expect that to be easily possible.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

1. Pikachu
2. Pichu Ice Climbers
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Oh man, we're getting Waluigi and ROB.

Also, Link can complete at least 70% of SMBX levels, I'll say. Some of them aren't too simple, but the elf can manage...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote: Also, Link can complete at least 70% of SMBX levels, I'll say. Some of them aren't too simple, but the elf can manage...
AFAIK, the only levels Link can't do is ones where you have to spinjump on an enemy, use a mount, carry an item, slide, and some running jumps. The number should be about 80% or more, I'd gather.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Regarding how Wario abilities don't feel like Wario and balancing the characters:

If you look at the original five SMBX characters, you can see that they're not exactly balanced. Like how the vast collection of Yoshis are only available to Mario and Luigi. And also differences between Link (who can't pick up most objects) and the other four. Despite the fact that Link has his own advantages in certain cases, he's still an outlier, whereas the other characters are rooted in SMB2 and have more shared among each other.

Instead of going for balance, the design of SMBX aimed for basing stuff on existing material and recreating them in a common setting. Like how the bombs from Super Mario series are adapted to Link's gameplay by mimicking how bombs from Zelda series are handled. This is something to keep in mind when developing this new SMBX: deciding whether or not to continue this design philosophy of homage rather than originality.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

My two guesses for tomorrow are...
Kirby, (and) or Samus
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

My main concern (MKF-ness aside) is that all four of the characters have really over powered quirks about them. I mean, I know that Mario and Luigi have reserve tanks, and that link has the bomb storage and spike-bouncing, but... really? A starman powerup achieved by collecting coins? A glider that not only glides well, but has infinite amount of jumps when its bombs hit something? (also, infinite supply of bombs) And then the fact that every single one of Wario's powerups have a REALLY overkill ability of some sort. I mean, I do recognize that he wouldn't play like he did in the level... but still, I don't really see how well he can be balanced. Either he'd kill everything with the use of POWs/lakitus/wariotime, or he'd die too quickly because he's really useless outside of powerup skills. Maybe Horikawa sees that as balance, but I see that as being too geared toward extremes. (also... does wario also have infinite veggies? I couldn't tell)

I think that these things would have been better off as unique powerup items rather than separate characters, because a lot of them (especially Wario's abilities) look like improvements of existing skills rather than separate, equally powerful things.
Last edited by Zha Hong Lang 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Ace
Pronouns: he

Post by Ace »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
KayhemMaus wrote:But gameplay... I mean, I love what they are, but Wario's set doesn't suit him. I know this level was designed to show off his ability, so a real level wouldn't be as saturated with mushrooms, but there's still something to be said for transformations and a shoulder charge. Would the charge be too hard to code?

Not that I wouldn't like a character with this moveset though! Hell, this would have suited Bowser just as much as his own.
I had a charge but it was janktastic and buggy. So I dropped it. It may be added back during the open beta.
If you couldn't make Wario work, then maybe it'd be better not to make a weird lakitu wizard and call it Wario. I'm sure it would be better to just not include him at all if including him means giving him totally random and oddly specific abilities. Even without the shoulder charge, there's a few ways you could have made him not completely random. I'm sure a ground pound at the very least is possible because purple yoshi exists.
Also I really dislike how different characters get different levels of value out of powerups. For example, ninja bomberman gets the value of one fireball from a fire flower, which is ridiculously low value. Wario has a lot of trouble increasing his power meter because in most normal levels, you won't find any mushrooms unless you're already "small". It makes it kind of a pointless gimmick in regular levels.
You can't hit it down in the big town.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It gives you some automatically, when you collect the power-up for the first time.

Also tomorrow will feature some neat things.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Smash. Another classic of gaming. Been around since the dawn of Nintendo (as a gaming company anyway), really.
That narrows it down to Donkey Kong and Mr. Game & Watch if you mean "playable in Smash"

Because there are trophies of Pauline
Jayoshi wrote:Mushroom Kingdom Fusion X
Except SMBX runs on my computer without lagging
Horikawa Otane wrote:Ugh fine I mean, the character first showed up on the NES. Geez.
Mr. Peepers the Duck Hunt dog? Nana and Popo?
Count Mohawk wrote: there was once a fangame called "mushroom kingdom fusion" in which wario was playable with that set of powerups. suffice to say he was slow, but very powerful, as well as a blast to play as.
I never unlocked Wario. I just kept running into everything and dying as Sonic, choosing to play Luigi in a level and then getting killed because it was designed with Mario's spin jump as a necessity, and the like. I did eventually manage to kill the first Mouser I found by getting to him as Fire Luigi, jumping and shooting, and not getting hit; could never get the whole "grab bombs and throw them at him" thing to work out in that engine.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Ace
Pronouns: he

Post by Ace »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Ace wrote:For example, ninja bomberman gets the value of one fireball from a fire flower, which is ridiculously low value.
That was part of Emral's level, as indicated by the different coloured sign. Read the introductory text to the level, it explains everything.

The real Ninja Bomberman has exactly as many fire/ice balls as peach.
All right, my mistake. I wasn't expecting emral to actually change the character's mechanics in a level meant to showcase said character.
You can't hit it down in the big town.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Hopefully, with all the bugs or exploits that people are discovering, Horikowa can fix this before release of 2.0
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Money

Post by Money »

Yeah I'm gonna also kinda agree with people saying the characters need a bit more polish and balance before they become a "real thing." You can definitely see the "seams" on them, where they were made of modified bits and pieces from other characters.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Ace wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:
Ace wrote:For example, ninja bomberman gets the value of one fireball from a fire flower, which is ridiculously low value.
That was part of Emral's level, as indicated by the different coloured sign. Read the introductory text to the level, it explains everything.

The real Ninja Bomberman has exactly as many fire/ice balls as peach.
All right, my mistake. I wasn't expecting emral to actually change the character's mechanics in a level meant to showcase said character.
I assume that Ninja Bomberman will have a heart-health like Link/Peach/Toad as well? I figured it was a stealth mission, but it'd be interesting to see how Ninja Bomberman would function in a normal SMBX level.

(Tanooki and Hammer animations come in mind)
"That's embarrassing"
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

I don't really get all the people being down on this :/ I don't think a single new character has been perfect yet or even close to perfect, but they're all SUPER COOL ideas and people are seeing them for immediately being letdowns instead of being a potential pathway to something that kinda kicks ass, and that's really sad to me

With all due respect to Horikawa and the Luna+Lua peeps, I would not expect a single new character to have a flawless reveal, both due to raocow's inexperience with them and due to there being a pretty low chance of them nailing perfection on the first try. Like I was gonna post this a couple hours ago but now with Horikawa's latest post I guess I felt like doing it now :x Of course these characters are going to go through testing/experiments. They're being revealed so that you guys can get excited about them. Get hype!

I really wonder if the "MaGL X2 is six months long" thing is part of why people aren't having fun with this, though... I kinda hope not. But I don't think I'll ever run out of fuel for this contest so I mean to me it's all fun even if it's 250 episodes.

PS I am not trying to like "white knight" or something, I just literally don't understand lol :( Maybe I'm too prone to arguing in this thread though.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Money

Post by Money »

I definitely wasn't trying to shit on this or anything, I'm sorry if it came across that way. It's still super impressive. I just want them to be the best they can be.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

The "money for itembox thing" for Wario still does sound like a great idea! I'd like to see that jank-as-shit sholder charge as well, maybe it can be salvaged and that would make it VERY Wario!

I'm feeling bad because I can see how much effort goes into these things and it's not really swaying me one way or another. I can understand that with all the salt I had after my level was played, it's such an odd feeling when you have such high expectations of things you made but nobody else seems to "get" what you did with all the work you put into it.
:pal: Image :pal:

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I've gotten better at it, but I'm still not good at seeing something I'm proud of shit on to the degree that people are literally wishing it didn't exist. Like I'm super open to legitimate criticism, provided it's not offered in an aggressive or nasty way, but... When someone says something you made is so foundationally flawed that it shouldn't exist that... It tears at you. It's like "am I shit?" "why did i do this?" "can I do anything right?" "Did I waste literally hundreds of hours on this?"
This is kinda why I got more and more snippy as MaGL X2 went on, when people had bad things to say about levels, and it's similar to what I said about the whole raolens BS when people just stamp down on peoples' levels. Criticism and ideas are great and I encourage everyone on the forum to tell you exactly what they think is wrong. Completely one-sided "this thing is bullshit, what was the author thinking?" statements just make me want to punch someone, however >_>

Just know that most of us are on your side :( The people who wanna see good things happen. It's up to you to separate the poor comments depending on who made them, to accept them from people you'd respect and to mostly disregard them from people who maybe don't have a place talking. Yes I am absolutely saying to judge comments based on who makes them.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:
Mr. Peepers the Duck Hunt dog? Nana and Popo?
if we're going with specifically the NES release as the start of nintendo as a "gaming company" (and not the japanese famicom) then im going to guess ROB. (the duckhunt dog was in arcades before it hit consoles in the West, and ice climbers were in arcades before then as well.)

DK does seem more likely to fit the nintendo character theme.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Tenlade wrote:the duckhunt dog was in arcades before it hit consoles in the West, and ice climbers were in arcades before then as well
Both "Duck Hunt" and "Ice Climber" appeared as NES/Famicom games before their VS. counterparts (which appeared in the same year).
"That's embarrassing"