(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: MaGL X2 - Horikawa x Updating the Thread OTP

Post by FrozenQuills »

WestonSmith wrote:How in the heck did you get custom SFX to work? I dropped that idea from my level because I couldn't get it to work without overriding SFX for the entire game.

(Also, neat Mega Man level.)
I believe back then you could make new sound effects, but you can't really replace sound effects outright.
But yeah both levels were AMAZING imo. The first one had a terrific atmosphere and the background makes it look like an old-timey movie with the tearing, and its gameplay is super good all around despite needing a lot of prediction. And of course the second one remade megaman so what's not to like (except for the way too many projectiles and few questionable parts of course).
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Bad Grip Ruins
Really nice looking and very well made, though it does look like a bit of foresight is needed now and again to avoid getting trapped. Pretty cool use of autoscroll, too, though autoscrolling levels have that issue of the player being bound to the level's pace.

My name is Pharaoh man; I wear nice shoes!
While there's great usage of tech to simulate a Mega Man experience and the visuals are nice, the projectiles do seem to take things a bit too far, especially in regards to that bug. I recall the original eventually leaving the screen after making some passes, so maybe that would've been a good thing to do? At least to provide a break, because it looks infuriating to have that thing hounding the player all the time, especially with the obstacles and jumps already present.

'Course, the difficulty with the bug might've been a raocow thing since the judge comments don't seem to convey much in the way of frustration, just the abundance of projectiles in general.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Both levels today were amazing, but I'm mostly relieved that the stupid hud box didn't show up in the second level :)
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Only impressed by the lua in this level because it was implemented so well and worked super well with the level! Sorry Rednaxela and everyone, just sheer Lua doesn't impress me.
:pal: Image :pal:

Penguinator44
Long time listener, first time caller

Post by Penguinator44 »

Wow two super impressive levels today

The second level got me thinking though, how the heck do the judges score on 'Character use' when Lua is used to completely change how that character plays?
Kles
First name: h

Post by Kles »

Horikawa Otane wrote: Oh believe me, I had way more frustration than raocow hahaha....

Also the first level is my favourite gameplay-focused level in the game! It was another runner-up for my fav this year.
I think it would be neat to see judges' gold/silver/bronze rather than just favourite.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

More coding shenanigans, this time botched by a bothersome bee.

I didn't like the first level much at all, sorry!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Bad Grip Ruins definitely reminds me of an old seventies adventure video, what with the tearing lines and color scheme. Meanwhile, that Megaman level definitely took the time to act like Megaman, though I think it had a bit of a crisis with wanting to be Touhou Lunatic as well.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

My only disappointment with the Mega Man level is the lack of a Toad Man joke.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Sturg, I think you owe us an apology for that pun.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

I LOVED that first level. I gotta know what the music is from. raocow pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. It felt like a breathing entity. The intense appearance and music and everything really gave it a great endgame vibe. I'm honestly surprised how insistent raocow was about staying on those vines, though.

The second level was great, but looked a little too frustrating. Some of those jumps were incredibly finicky. That's really my only complaint today.

We still got 19 more entries. 17 levels and two bosses. Supposedly they're even better than these. That's really cool.
Signature text.
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

that first level is probably my favorite so far
like doing that with all the moving layers is impressive in itself, and I feel you can't just go "oh man aesthetics versus gameplay duel of the millenium" because of how well it's all integrated together- this level is appreciated best when looking at the whole picture
then again I really like in videogames when the enviroment speaks for itself, and when all the pieces of its design complement each other. Like I don't know, it hard for me to explain. The mechanisms were impressive, it is really fun to play and the atmosphere is amazing, but it's the parts in between these aspects where it shines the most I believe.

I think that you made the three vines section harder on yourself though, it seemed easier if you would use the landscape when possible. But platforming with vines in SMBX can be problems so welp.
My only disappointment with the Mega Man level is the lack of a Toad Man joke.
You were just playing as Toad, man.
Draexzhan wrote:I gotta know what the music is from.
It's Wind Fortress from Cave Story 3D.
Last edited by churine 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Grounder wrote: I didn't like the first level much at all, sorry!
Yeah I gotta agree honestly? It was a nice level, no doubt, but I don't get the mega hype over it. The level seemed confusing and demanding of the player to immediately identify the movements of the landmasses all throughout, as well as lacking a midpoint. And yes, I'm aware of the technical limitations surrounding that, but you've gotta build your level around your technical limitations. Still a nice level nonetheless, I just don't totally get the overwhelmingly adoring response.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I like to feel overwhelmed. (When it's done well)

It was also pretty okay length for a long level in my opinion.
churine

Post by churine »

I think the level didn't need a midpoint, replaying the earlier parts isn't really harsh and it works better without one (making it so it doesn't really overstay its welcome and remains enjoyable to play, while focusing importance to every single "obstacle" in a row). If anything it's one better to balance for a lack of one, which I feel it was.

It IS hard and all about quick observation and predicting the incoming landmasses though. It also can get busy and immediately punishing if you mess up completely something, so it definitely is not everyone's thing.

I'm not saying it's objectively the best, but what it does it does great.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

You can also see from the movement and the general composition alone that it must have taken a lot of effort to make.
The second level was pretty impressive too, considering that we have not seen similar things done by other levels.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

how the heck did they make those layers move all gradually and sine-like
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Bad Grip Ruins:
Good things: Impressive graphically, solid gameplay
Bad things: A bit too Piranha Plant spammy, autoscroll made it a bit too demanding
Misc comments: .....

My name is Pharaoh man; I wear nice shoes!:
Good things: Excellent recreation of Mega Man
Bad things: Bullet spam, cramped Yoku block sections
Misc. comments: YOU GOT: NICE SHOES
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

first level was pretty good, but long autoscroll levels can get a little annoying easily
second level just plain sucked imo but i hate super-spammy levels like that inherently, no way should that have even been top 100 even if it was cool :lol:

neither of these come close to acidburger though.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Quill did not rate the autoscroll level high enough. It was amazing.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I pretty much agree with Quill for the first level today. There were a few times where I wasn't sure if something was a solid block or if it was just backround. I wasn't really a fan of how waiting to see what was up ahead could get you killed in a few places either.

The second level was nice, but there certainly were a lot of projectiles. It would almost be as bad as a level full of rinkas if you couldn't get rid of the sources of the projectiles. Well most of them anyway. The health system also helps things except for the fact that the invincibility time is so short.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:There were a few times where I wasn't sure if something was a solid block or if it was just backround.
Those pillars in particular were really bad for me. The part you're supposed to go through is made up of blocks you've seen earlier in the level but they look a lot more solid than the solid parts do. Should've used a darker version of the blocks that made up the rest of the pillar or something.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Ivy wrote:how the heck did they make those layers move all gradually and sine-like
i'm assuming that they attached the layers to invisible paratroopas

Also "My name is Pharaoh Man; I wear nice shoes!" is definitely one of my favourite levels so far.

megamanbias.mp4
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Post by Darkonius64 »

The pharaoh man level was amazing

...i wish i knew how to code lua properly lol
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: MaGL X2 - The floating colossus and the desert fly of death

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Well, I was wrong. Again.
I'm in the center of a big storm right now, so let's get this over quick.

(19th) Andruth: Bad Grip Ruins

I love the graphics on this one. It looks like a sentient landmass that's floating... and all the enemies grow on it. This is a great example on how to do autoscrolling difficulty right. The vines and the plants as obstacles mesh really well. This feels just right, and I'm really glad you submitted this. Fantastic work here.

(18th) Zylgrox Odyssey: My name is Pharaoh Man; I wear nice shoes!

Hey, look at that. You're here instead of 10th place. ...WOW. You made Mega Man. Now make the sprite swap from Toad to Mega Man, and the transition is truly complete. Those insects are obnoxious, but other than that, the level design is great, and feels like a Mega Man game!
I like the fake out at the end. Amazing.

...And now the storm clears up. Hooray!
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)