(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Re: MaGL X2 - raocow x Lasagna OTP

Post by Lunikyuu »

Well, Sturg's least favourite got the highest place and he scored it higher than the other judges scored their least favourites, so maybe the reverse can also be true?

Also I'm going to guess pholtos's level because he's been hyping it up a ton in the skypehaus =P
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

raocow wrote:it'd be funny if one day, a level with a 'i hope I win' joke ends up winning
Considering one of the name patterns has "I Hope I Win!" in it, this is probably one of the more likely contests for it.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Taigiry

Re: MaGL X2 - Dinosaur x Book OTP

Post by Taigiry »

Finally (mostly) caught up with the series now, after my HDD decided to break down and having had to reinstall everything.

Anyway, it's pretty nice to see the Yacht of Opinions again and congrats to everyone who managed to get onto the second disk and especially into the second half. Also props to Iso for enduring the gauntlet that's rao's level, that's way beyond my level of skill. But then again, I'm not the best at Mario anyway.

One level that really stood out to me was Overwrought Screen because I'm a sucker for all things horror. And as much as I wanted to like it, I just... can't, for some reason. The atmosphere was neat for what it wanted to accomplish but it seemed very confusing at times with invisible blocks and suddenly the weird pillars are being able to be stood on, when they were just background stuff earlier. Also the generic Boo's were pretty hard to see, although that might've been Youtube's fault? But damn, the decapitated Boom-Boom heads creating a wall behind you at the end just looked beautiful.

But ultimately, and I wouldn't call it the level's fault, I couldn't take it seriously. It seemed like the stage wanted to play the horror aspect straight (and as I said, it did create a nice atmosphere) but the whole "creepy Mario" has gotten a bit too cliche for me, right after Sonic and Alice in Wonderland.

He, sorry if I sounded a bit too cynical or negative there, I just get passionate about horror stuff.
Voltgloss wrote:What was the "meme" at the end? I didn't get the reference.
Looks like it was Backbeard from GeGeGe no Kitaro, who is associated with the old “Damn All You Lolicon!” meme. Just google "Beako" if you wanna know more.
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

I think the next level tomorrow is my level
It's about the same quality of the other levels and has many likable aspects
Beep Boop
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I agree
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Quill

Post by Quill »

I agree too.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Tomorrow's gotta be raocow's level
no it's gonna be pichu's level

he'll secretly get no judge's favorite even though it's the judge's favorite spot
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

ano0maly wrote:Maiku's level was overall neat but it ruined it one thing, the sand just disappears into the air above the last Dragadon coin and that looks very awkward

I expected better from you
I'm sure the designer(s) of 8-2 of SMB3 would love to hear from you.
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Last chance for you butts to get in your guesses for which judge's favourite it is and/or whose level is coming up!
Oh man this brings up a troubling question... What would be preferable... being a 3 digit ranking but having one judge think you are the most fun in the contest... or reaching the mid to high double digits but not being considered someones favorite...

I have no idea which would be better... Maybe the former...
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean let's be honest, being a 'favourite' is kind of a huge 'thing' !
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Oh man, so many exploits.

Also next MaGL X Ima be sure to implement an 'I HOPE I WIN' in joke.

Who has the most?
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

As someone who submitted a non-contender for first place, judge's favourite is the best reward I could reasonably hope for.

So, y'know, I'd rather be in tomorrow's video then the day after tomorrow's. I won't be, but it'd be the best case scenario for me.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

well darn i guess i'm gonna have to change my guess to raocow then!

also next MaGL there's totally going to be like 30 "I hope I win" jokes from people trying to get a level with it to win

I hope the winner hopes they win
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I agree three with this notion of raocow being in tomorrow's video
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

I cannot wait to see the favourite level.

Inb4 the favourite level really got the full-mark, but got the mark deducted due to not following the naming gimmick and character gimmick.
(Blivsey is there, maybe to say something, after all...

(which means the one who marks that level as his/her favourite gives that level 85, which is the full score one can get if he didn't follow naming/character gimmick.)

Just some random rumbling after making a level(for MAGLx: the lost levels) where I have been struggling with all events and layers
Something to mention:

If possible, you can try to hide the layer of "Spawned NPC" ALSO if your boss involves any kind of generator, and you don't need the generator for the part AFTER the boss. Hiding only the generator layer can cause the problem of having the generated thing to remain till it leaves the screen, and you don't hope that the remaining item kills player even after the player succeeds(well, unless your point is to get the player to be alert even after the fight), do you?

(For example, a room where you need to kill boom boom, while the room has rinkas generator to help boom boom to kill you.)

As in, you have that rinkas and you only want the rinkas for boom boom. Thus, once the boom boom is dead, you want to hide rinka generator, don't you? But the problem is "Okay, I hide generator, but the remaining rings still remain, how?"

In this case, you need to hide "Spawn NPC" layer for awhile, then show it back again with another event.
saturnyoshi
Howdy!
First name: Gus

Post by saturnyoshi »

I know it's a bit late, but I've got to explain my Wario castle remake type thing;

The level was originally going to be much more original, I was going to add a lighting system, this would be to limit the player's view so that they could only see certain areas, for example there would be a Roto-Disc popping in and out of view so the player would need to predict when to go for it.

Speaking of Roto-Discs, I had spent HOURS trying to make more accurate recreations of the Wario fist and spike ball (Roto-Disc) enemies, but they didn't work well enough (The Wario fist was fine, actually, just really inconsistent.).

The reason these things were never finished was because I had a good start going, but forgot about the contest for a long time; As you could see, I picked it up again but this was very close to the deadline so I decided not to risk it and just rush the rest of the level.

Oh, for those wondering why Wario was so fantastic and why he was in Mario's castle again, I hit another roadblock due to having the strange idea that the contest was in A2XT and having to redo the graphics, and originally I was planning for Demo to drink tea with Wario at the end, and Wario turns out to be a nice guy who just wanted a castle.

As you ca tell, stuff didn't work out.
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Watch this space for a developer commentary video!

The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Blivsey wrote:
Dog In Da Grass wrote:
Blivsey wrote:it's raocow's favorite
*barks at a wind chime!* Tell me what you say! Tell me what you say about that level! *Bark!* Please? :P
tomorrow morning to too far away ><
i don't speak to dark-types *huffs*
Guess I'll just have to wait to listen in when you talk to raocow.
:pal: Image :pal:

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Dog In Da Grass wrote:
Blivsey wrote: i don't speak to dark-types *huffs*
Guess I'll just have to wait to listen in when you talk to raocow.
Or when I talk to him... or something. Dark-types have solace with me, you know...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Alright, now I've seen the dev commentary I can finally do my reviews! And let me tell you, that insight has COMPLETELY changed my opinion of raocow's level from the initial thoughts so prepare your butts.

Commentary, Days 64 and 65;

129th. raocow: 'Everyone's a Winner in the Book of the Dead, it's just the prize is pretty terrible' - My initial opinions were 'oh that raocow, always breaking faces with his notoriously difficult insanity juice poured all over his level design concepts'. And that pretty much was considered 'a thing' and I'm not saying a good one. But then the secret mystery...

The fact that this was designed and extrapolated using random generation for the initial set-up makes this so much more INTERESTING. Yes, you changed a fair amount of it, but the fact that the basic bones were something you didn't even technically pick makes the level much more fascinating as a concept and effort. And it made me fall in love with it just a little. Yes, you made it super tough and crazy, and it wasn't balanced at all, but it was more than just you being you after this. It's the sign of a raocow evolving... raobull is coming! :D

128th, superwingedyoshi: 'Hey Buddy! Get your Snifit off my Bastion!' - Peach swears like a sailor. Gosh. Nice level, needed more to it though. But the 'It was all a dream' trope is so passe. :P

127th, Maiku Wtaharu: 'Obtainable Guitar Pool' - I love the simplicity of the dagadon hunt! Not too complex but not too easy to hunt everything down and decently paced so not to be dull... I like the final part in the water, also!

MaFAB 15th, Cirno: 'Menacing Masticore' - Nice use of Awe of She, love that track. GG for lyfe yo! This boss would have been much better without homing guys. Turtles in saturation are just as a threat as homing ones, homing is just needlessly annoying. But maybe that's just me.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Re: MaGL X2 - Dinosaur x Book OTP

Post by 7TC7 »

Taigiry wrote:One level that really stood out to me was Overwrought Screen because I'm a sucker for all things horror. And as much as I wanted to like it, I just... can't, for some reason. The atmosphere was neat for what it wanted to accomplish but it seemed very confusing at times with invisible blocks and suddenly the weird pillars are being able to be stood on, when they were just background stuff earlier. Also the generic Boo's were pretty hard to see, although that might've been Youtube's fault? But damn, the decapitated Boom-Boom heads creating a wall behind you at the end just looked beautiful.

But ultimately, and I wouldn't call it the level's fault, I couldn't take it seriously. It seemed like the stage wanted to play the horror aspect straight (and as I said, it did create a nice atmosphere) but the whole "creepy Mario" has gotten a bit too cliche for me, right after Sonic and Alice in Wonderland.

He, sorry if I sounded a bit too cynical or negative there, I just get passionate about horror stuff.
No, it's good criticism which I appreciate, so don't be sorry about telling me what you think! :mrgreen:
Just, about that part I highlighted in the quote, I don't quite understand what you mean. I assume you are talking about the Metroid plants, but they where never able to be stood on throughout the level. Could you tell me what exactly you mean?
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

Hey there, everyone. Looks like it's time for my level. I meant to do a sort of LP of my own for dev commentary, but things didn't really allow for it. I might still do it if there's enough of a demand by the time I get the chance to!

(EDIT: Oh wow. I wrote this before watching the video, so raocow didn't actually get to the developer's commentary room in the level, so a lot of the "as I said in the level" doesn't actually apply, haha.)

As I say in the level, I got the idea during the last MaGL X. I had ideas for a level that you can beat immediately but that you need to explore entirely to 100% it, a level that offers a convenient life farm for when raocow needs one, or a dream-like level where everything's just super-nice. And so it all coalesced into one under the super-clever title of "a nice level" (thus completely failing to Make a Good Level).

I actually ended up totally failing to make it an efficient life-farm because I was torn between maxing out the player on the one hand and not utterly breaking all levels after it on the other (which would have been not so nice at all!). I also wanted to completely sabotage my own score in order to rank low so raocow could benefit from it for the crazy hard levels that would inevitably happen in the lower ranks... So in a lot of respects, the level ended up being a failure.

Then again, as I started really working on the level, I wanted to not just make it a life farm, but a place to cool down in when things get frustrating. Some relaxing music, characters reminding you to take it easy and pay attention to your health... Part of it is that I was on a bit of a meditation trip at the time! But I still believe in the concept. And in the end, I grew even more ambitious and just wanted to make, like... a piece of art. Something that would hopefully touch at least one person out there in a meaningful way. I originally meant to make it more focused on humor than it is, but quickly decided against that. There's still some humor in there, but that doesn't mean I'm not serious about the messages. We tend to make humor something aggressive, but it can also be soothing and sweet. We tend to find harsh words funny because it's a break from the norm, but I think it tends to be overdone, and at this point, exceedingly kind words are perhaps an even bigger break from what seems normal to us.

So yeah, I hope you like my little attempt at interactive art. I am something of a struggling artist, but I've never had an audience of thousands. In that way, it's really quite a selfish little delight for me.

That said, there's about a billion things I would've done differently if I could return in time, and 99.9% of those things are the planning phase. I meant to work at it slow and steady for once, but I ended up coming down with a laryngitis, so I had to wait for that to heal. Which... didn't happen, so in the end I worked through several nights and screwed up my health even more to finish it. My throat is literally still sore from it more than half a year later. Let this be a lesson to you, kids! Don't do what I did! Even if you're practically out of commission, at least try to learn more about the tools you're going to be working with so you don't end up wasting like 70% of the time trying to figure out how to import the graphics you need, or figuring out what graphics you need in the first place!

Sickness aside, though, it was still a good experience for me. I enjoyed figuring out the characters and their world. As mentioned, all the character designs and sprites are my own, except for Skullgirl! I meant to make her husband Dunce, but I ran out of time and I honestly have no friggin idea what Dunce is even supposed to look like from a not-profile view?! The thing that's clearly a badly-drawn Helioptile is a borderline case because it totally is but I'm gonna claim that it's different enough to qualify as an OC! Its design was actually the result of waking up one night, being unable to sleep due to anxiety and calming myself down by drawing stupid lizards without looking up a reference. I love my stupid lizard. I'm also pretty fond of Mr. Beacon, though I failed to think of anything for him to say until the last minute so I just sleep-deprivedly train-of-thoughted something. Stargazer is probably my favorite of the bunch, though, and I might do more with her in the future. And Marvin, of course. Definitely Marvin.

I feel like I should say something about what it all means. You can take or leave it, of course - authorial intent is an inherently flawed concept, and if my message didn't become clear enough with just the work itself, I didn't do a good enough job! I'll still give you the choice to hear my interpretation, though, partly because I made a joke in the level that might mislead you into thinking that the level takes place in the afterlife and that's that, partly because even I only really understood it long after I finished the level.

What I think is going on here is that the world in the level... is what it is. It's a world in a level. Much like the characters in so many other levels in this contest, its inhabitants are aware that they're NPCs in a level. But! It's framed differently. Fourth-wall-breaking usually constitutes a break in the flow of a narrative and takes you out of the action for humorous effect. What I hope it achieved here, though, is just to force a shift in perspective and make you aware of the fictionality without compromising your investment in it.

The setting is a level. It's also a dream. There is no concept of linear time for the characters. Stargazer can only assume that you talked to her before when you meet her on the floating isle, because it's possible for you to not talk to her in the beginning, or to meet her again for the first time afterwards. The characters are both eternal and not subject to time at all. They don't have a life of their own... but they live when they interact with you. In opening yourself up to the characters, they live within you for a moment. They live in a dream, and the dream is your own. And because everyone is different, since we're all shaped by the impossibly many things we see in our lives, they are different beings within each and every person who interacts with them.

I hope you enjoy their visit.

There's still a lot to be said about a lot of details and thoughts in there, but as my main bit of commentary for now, I'll keep it down to the most important aspects. That should be it for now.

Thank you for indulging me. See you next dream!
Last edited by Fawriel 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

So sorry if it's been asked already, have any of these levels been made available publically? There's a few I'd like to look at to learn mechanics and if I recall near the beginning of the project the plan was to make levels available as raocow played them? Dunno if that ever happened.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The first level was really nice looking and well written. The sprites and the characters were lovely. I feel like it could have probably been a little longer/nonlinear, but that is probably just me enjoying it a lot. The flying segment was interesting too in it's implementation.

I enjoyed the music and the theme on the second level. Killing some of the moles can make the player get stuck, and I'm a little unsure of how good level design that is. At least the player is very unlikely to kill them, when they don't have any higher tier power-ups from the start.
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

a nice level: Walking Simulators in my SMBX? Still better than Dear Esther.

Why is submitting two *.lvl files not against the rules?