(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Fawriel

Re: MaGL X2 - Hub 1 x Hub 2 OTP

Post by Fawriel »

It's a little funny. Somehow, the levels in this world seem less impressive to me than the ones in the previous one.
My favorite that comes to mind would probably be... ... uh... the Jumping on Parakoopas with French Text at the Start one was in this world, right? ... it wasn't, was it.
Alice wrote:
Leet wrote:when his gender is ... gendering.
I wasn't aware gender could be used as a verb, lol. That's confusing to try and even figure out.
"Gender" is totes a verb! ... It doesn't mean whatever Leet was trying to have it mean, but it exists.
Last edited by Fawriel 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Whoo! Double digit worlds!
Last edited by Mikkofier 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Leet wrote:amazing. i cannot believe that peach has, this whole time, just been mario when his gender is ... gendering.
I keep thinking too hard about this joke whenever it comes up, which is really fun because it gets me gloomy over nothing. Bluh.
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

I really liked that pikachu level, it was super fun and looked really well designed. Then the last screen happened and it was kind of like.. okay. I don't know why but that kind of took away the enjoyment I was having, it felt really unnecessary.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: MaGL X2 - Sturg is the one that uses Goof Troop as a... hm. as a, as a leveling mechanism

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

These levels are progressing to a more proper length than before. It's pretty nice...

Turtwig: Barbie and Pikachu Meet at Last

Ah, this looks like a fun level. (I KNEW a Turtwig would make a lighthearted jab at Pikachu somehow!) The midpoint is placed pretty well, and the difficulty is fair. I bet you would have resprited Peach if you had the time... but I suppose this turns out to be funnier. (...Unless PJ is in the equation, then all bets are off.)

Minus: Sabasa
Oh man. This is my favorite boss so far. You did pretty well with making one! I can see most of the cards represented in some form... Though the boss could indeed benefit from two extra attacks. How about one where he drops a miniature island on Mario? I can see this in an actual game, and it's a ton better than most the drivel bosses seen in the 8-bit days. (But that's due to Sturgeon's Law striking down video games just as much as movies)

Nestomar: In the Beginning, It's All Sympathy in the Lake
The character switching is pretty well done here! You also tried to create a serene environment in the lake, but... it's a bit difficult to use empty space well. Still, it doesn't detract from the ending parts so much, which were really well thought-out. Some of the powerup locations can be changed, but other than that, this is really good!
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

Ah, man! Classic computer science off-by-one error.

Boss commentary time!

So, funny thing about this boss is that I found out about MAFAB a day late. And this is coming from a slowpoke who didn't make the one month deadline of the contest proper. So, that was a pretty busy day!

About the boss itself - I can't program in Lua to save my life, so everything was done via the vanilla layers and events system. I learned while making it that, apparently, layers can be moved even while "hidden", and I ended up using that to reset both the lightning and cloud attacks for the next cycle once they were finished in case the player hadn't beaten the boss by the time she repeats those attacks. Though you wouldn't think it, by the time the boss was done, I'd pretty much exhausted all of the events that the engine lets you have at once (100 is the limit on that, not including the default ones I believe). Unfortunately, that kinda tied my hands in really being able to incorporate any extra attacks outside of those three.

In retrospect, Horikawa really makes me realize that one thing I really should've done is list what card represented what in the fight when I submitted it. My level submission text was instead pretty much along the same lines of usefulness as "Hey, this boss uses cards in its attacks! How does it use them? I dunno, figure it out yourself lol". The cards I ended up using were Collective Blessing (with how the mage seems to summon light on that card, that pretty much served as the inspiration for the whole "goombas of the dead" interim attack), Thwart (the "lightning sweep" attack), and Rain of Tears (the "fireballs from the clouds" attack, though the graphics did not really make that one very clear).

But, yeah, I'm very happy right now! I ended up doing a lot better than I expected, and I'm super happy that raocow and other folks enjoyed this silly thing. Horikawa, Sturg, and Quill, y'all have done a fantastic job taking on the bold task of playing/reviewing 272 levels and 31 bosses and putting this thing together, and Blivsey and Willhart, this great HUB wouldn't be here without you, so thank all of you guys for your hard work. I'm very happy I got to participate, and I hope that I can do so again when the time rolls back around!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I hope there are bosses in there that actually use the card text at some point

alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Barbie and Pikachu Meet At Last: Oh man, that title. Those resprites were good, and the gameplay mixed well with the humor. Great job!

BOSS: Sabasa: Man, that boss was amazing. The only thing I had a problem with was that during the stormcloud attack, the warning signs seemed to last for two seconds, so that you had to notice a safe spot quickly. Maybe that's just me, though.

In the Beginning, It's All Sympathy in the Lake: Pretty okay. Some jumps were tricky, some were blind, and that "mandatory mushroom" path seemed unnecessary, though.

COMMENTS TO raocow: That boss was originally from Mario Land 2. Also, oh man, that death.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Oh man if only the scenery of Sabasa had an island as it's background it might have been a rank higher maybe.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Favourite world 9 levels?
Pikachu on the Barbie stands out the most for me. I've liked so many of the levels in the MaGL so far I've tried to avoid playing favorites.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

I liked all the levels today.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

Thank you for the quiz room death, raocow, it brightened my day.

All three levels today were pretty good, although I probably would've put a powerup in the boss one.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I hope there are bosses in there that actually use the card text at some point
zyglrox's did, didn't it? but then again zyglrox's was also nigh impossible so

I think my favorite level of World 9 is definitely Barbie and Pikachu Meet at Last! it's probably because I'm easily amused and have kind of an iffy memory but I liked it a lot! I think the dialog really sold it for me tho
:nb_pride:
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I hope there are bosses in there that actually use the card text at some point
Lol, don't worry, there will be.
:pal: Image :pal:

Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

Horikawa Otane wrote:The next level I'm looking forward to is 140th. Man that's gonna be such a thing. I can't wait to see raocow's reaction.
So it's either:
-Really hard
-Really artistically cool
-Hilarious concept
-A 'reaction' kind of level

so there's a chance it's mine oh no

I'm so close to making it into the top half
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

hmm.

I'm going to go on record and say 'I bet that's my level'.

I think that would be 'horikawa teasing about it' worthy.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by blue_kirby »

I found a pretty cool video online!

https://www.youtube.com/watch/x9eovem8Dws
Barbie and Pikachu Meet At Last: My favorite from today. I liked how the author explicitly said "Barbie" so it could immediately fit in. Also, the Pikachu enemies were a really neat touch. I also liked the Castlevania music as well. Additionally, we have to consider that these levels were mostly submitted in early March, so that "dress" joke was still relevant back then.

BOSS: Sabasa: SML2 boss and this actually looked like a really cool boss fight. I liked the attack patterns and the lights on the gravestones. Hoping the other MAFAB battles show why they were all put in Episode 2.

In the Beginning, It's All Sympathy in the Lake: The character switching was pretty amazing. However, I felt like it had a few flaws. For instance, it shouldn't punish you because you lost a powerup. You should be able to get a powerup from a random pipe or something if something like that were to happen.
Favorite World 9 Level: Probably the Peach/Barbie one or the first Dr. Mario one.
Last edited by blue_kirby 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"That's embarrassing"
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I mean, Goof Troop is a pretty rad game...
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Aaaah, what was the music for the boss?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Erhmagerd World 10 Next Video... Also, this episode is subtitled the 'Peach is Terrible With Bombs'.

Commentary, Day 54;
149th, Turtwig: 'Barbie and Pikachu Meet At Last' - Second Star Shenanigans! -goofy ending jingle- Well the edits are pretty darn amusing! The trivia death is now the best death in the run so far! Bomber Peach Betrayal best betrayal! And thank you for giving a moon for reading all the signs. Good gift for anyone with the patience to do it! :)

MaFAB 18th, minus: 'Sabasa' - The exclaimation mark could have been on screen for a second longer but otherwise it looked really awesome! I love what you did with this! Super neat and the boss looked the best out of most of the entries so far. I mean, there were some decent okayish edited sprites before this but this one fits into SMBX so well!

148th, Netosmar: 'In the Beginning, It's All Sympathy in the Lake' - I love that you've created distinctive paths for your two characters! It's very clear as a split and it looks really fitting for not just the name but gave me legit Mario game vibes. You've done a good job on this level!

Favourite of World 9 will be... 'SMW Bob-bomb' I guess! :D
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Nimono

Re: MaGL X2 - Sturg is the one that uses Goof Troop as a... hm. as a, as a leveling mechanism

Post by Nimono »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:(...Unless PJ is in the equation, then all bets are off.)
"PJ"?

My favorite World 9 level has to be Barbie and Pikachu meet at last. I just love the humor of it, and how Peach not being edited at all seems to be on purpose solely for the joke- especially considering how at the end, the dialogue drops all pretenses and just outright calls her Peach instead of Barbie!

Also, chuuuuuuuuuu~
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Favourite world 9 levels?
Ahh, hm... I think I'm gonna go with SMW Bob-Omb. Vague Maniacal Escape and the recent Barbie and Pikachu Meet at Last come pretty darn close, too.

Wait, wait, levels? Have multiple been an option all along? D'oh!
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Nimono wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:(...Unless PJ is in the equation, then all bets are off.)
"PJ"?

Proton Jon. There were several pairs of pajamas involved somehow, so... yeah.

Now I want to download Goof Troop from somewhere.
My favorite World 9 stage has to be Dr. Mario Skies.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

both of the levels played today were really great
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Proton Jon. There were several pairs of pajamas involved somehow, so... yeah.
NO MORE BARBIE. BARBIE IS FINISHED.
or something like that. I thought it was Proton Jon! I remember that stream where he made every game Barbie. it was hilarious. :D

and then he played barbie again about two streams ago
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Imipolex G wrote:Thank you for the quiz room death, raocow, it brightened my day.
This brings up a question though. raocow seemed a bit surprised that the bomb activated the block. Was he actually unaware that the bomb could activate them?