(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: MaGL X2 - The Old Country

Post by Grounder »

RenaTurnip wrote: Also there's a huge difference between "SMBx is shit for Touhou levels" and "Truth Story did a shit job at Touhou levels" like come on, critical thinking here.
Can you name three levels that have been good?

I can think of one, and it didn't play like a Touhou level very much at all!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Horikawa... is the next video the real reason you expected this one to be 'fun' or is the next level another jewel of pain on top of this one? D:

Commentary, Day 8:
246th, ebullientesquivelence: Snifit's Ruins - infinite bullet spam with wrap around was bad enough, but that thwomp ambush was uncalled for. The ruins with the freaky X-Files remix was probably the only real thing that was adhering to your level name but I did like the red coin M showing you where to go. It was certainly... a thing that was there.

MaFAB 29th, Minnakht: Liege's Goliath Glen - That seems easily broken. I mean, seriously, raocow only walked to the left and the ghost just despawned. :| What you're supposed to do is super not clear either! I'm seeing why this is so low but at least it was well made. The fact that this is Horikawa's least favourite yet the other two scored it lower worries me... :| I have the feeling Horikawa is going to love bosses the others hate!
@RenaTurnip: I find that the SMBX engine is wonderful for a lot of things but I can see its limitations too, having just become a creator myself. It's super stiff at doing certain things and can't do other things at all so I can see why LunaLua has become a thing. :) Having opinions is great, and I hope nobody tries to beat you over the head for having yours.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Grounder wrote:
RenaTurnip wrote: Also there's a huge difference between "SMBx is shit for Touhou levels" and "Truth Story did a shit job at Touhou levels" like come on, critical thinking here.
Can you name three levels that have been good?
Top 3 of maglx.

Edit: Most of the touhou levels would have been better if they were easier and/or shorter.
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Since I've never tried this, I might as well try out some commentary!
246th, ebullientesquivelence: Snifit's Ruins: I feel that if this level was made like the name puts it out to be, this could be something special! It's really just Thowmp Spam and "Hey! I found out layer movement!" I will admit, it's pretty interesting platforming, but it really was just... ok.

MaFAB 29th, Minnakht: Liege's Goliath Glen: This is very interesting! I mean, there are some flaws, like if you lose all your flowers, you could lose this boss, and how the ghost despawned, but I thought that it was interesting! I like how you gotta destroy everything destroyable to get forward! I think the only annoying thing about that (others than the Rinkas) is catching the bombs, because new players may find catching them difficult, but other than that, I liked it!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
SnackJackSJ
*Pressing controller buttons and plucking guitar strings furiously*
First name: Adam

Post by SnackJackSJ »

Slimeman01 wrote:I mean, there are some flaws, like if you lose all your flowers, you could lose this boss
I'm not sure where that thought came from to be honest... The flowers are just there as power-ups to keep you alive (sure you can kill the fire traps on him but my point stands), they serve no sole purpose in 'defeating' the boss. Not to mention, you can lose the boss regardless. So, yeah?
Last edited by SnackJackSJ 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Whoa! Jack plays Mario Hacks?!
peace, love, and music
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

SnackJackSJ wrote:
Slimeman01 wrote:I mean, there are some flaws, like if you lose all your flowers, you could lose this boss
I'm not sure where that thought came from to be honest... The flowers are just there as power-ups to keep you alive (sure you can kill the fire traps on him but my point stands), they serve no sole purpose in 'defeating' the boss. Not to mention, you can lose the boss regardless. So, yeah?
What I meant is the Pirannah plants ontop of the boo himself, but I guess you don't need to kill them!?
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

RenaTurnip wrote:I don't understand how most people in this thread operate or look at things at all ;_; It reminds me too much of the YouTube comments that jump to criticize something the moment raocow trips over a rock in the grass. I have a bad feeling I am going to become an unpopular opinion puffin turnip by the end of the month. Also I think the vanilla editor is super easy and self-intuitive to use and is only seriously problematic in lacking an Undo function so I kind of already have unpopular opinions! :D

Also there's a huge difference between "SMBx is shit for Touhou levels" and "Truth Story did a shit job at Touhou levels" like come on, critical thinking here.
I dunno, your opinions sound pretty much spot-on to me!

...that said, it's not like I really know my own opinion on that boss level. The best I can put together turns up "I think I would enjoy it but I would not have fun despite enjoying it" ...for whatever amount of sense that makes. It almost seems like a calming sort of level in a weird way... and ultimately it just makes me glad I'm not a judge now!

also I still maintain that the problem with the typical touhou level has less to do with "being a touhou level" and more to do with forgetting about the existence of 1) Mario's sensible hitboxes, 2) gravity (unless you remove all the player's safety nets which is a big no-no), and 3) every difficulty below Lunatic.
I don't really get it but okay
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Re: MaGL X2 - Anticipation for Tomorrow

Post by RedMageSusie »

Gotta like the Toad hating forests is still a thing (I might be slightly biased).

The boss level today didn't really play like much of a "boss" tbh. It was more like a puzzle that was a bit obtuse. I don't think it was completely terrible, but I can see myself getting frustrated being like, "where's the boss?"
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I think the big thing is that it doesn't really feel like you're defeating a boss. Part of this is that you just leave the room and get a star rather than anything dramatic happening.

Some sort of feedback other than the disappearing scenery would definitely help. Say, if some kind of "pained" sound effect played whenever you broke a block.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
ravegg

Post by ravegg »

No more least favorites for MAFAB! That means raocow will have zero trouble with bosses right

reviews
Abstract Volcanos are the Only Place for Bouncing-Figured I'd write a bit more since we did revisit this level. Not much to add about the secret exit, other then it felt really out of place and not needed. Also the fact that they were both level ending stars is kinda annoying, because you have to redo like 90% of the level.

Snifit's Ruins- That level didn't have have many ruins or snifits except for the spam room. :o Jokes aside this level had moving layers that moved in a super odd way, but didn't really design the level around their movements. The wrap around with the snifit was kinda mean, and so were the three thwomps above it that didn't give you warning of their presence. The three boos in that one screen felt a bit much but not that bad. Also this level is totally (toadally?) different with and without the double jump, it seems to kinda be made for having the tail but I'm not sure. The x-files theme was pretty funny.

One of the main weakness of all the train levels (or all real levels) so far is the length of them isn't enough to mold a good concept. This makes them okay at their best (like thwomp fortress) and not very good at their worst.

Liege's Goliath Glen- I didn't think that boss was that bad to be honest! Although it really isn't a boss and more of a kill room. The only bad thing I'd say is that there isn't much going on. Aside from the rinka and the boo plant guy (which is a super groovy idea) there isn't much that you actively have to dodge. I'd make the pipe also open when you kill all the lotus and piranha plants, destroying the blocks seemed a bit unclear, but I guess you'd try it once you've killed everything else. The piranha plants that killed themselves at the top were pointless. It also felt like the level designer tried to fit more cards than necessary into their boss fight, with too many ideas (fairy, boo, destroying blocks, lotus) that weren't really put to the full potential. I know I would do the same thing if I had entered this contest. Lots of unique ideas though.

Wrote a lot today wow
I make puzzles for games sometimes check em -> Steam Workshop
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Oh! Man, that's right, I'm a total dumb!

That's all the Least Favourites of MaFAB out of the way!

My comment no longer makes much sense on the boss stage, but OH WELL. I feel better about the rest of the MaFAB contest at least!
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

I find it funny how every time I log on to look around, I always have a notification from this forum. XD
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

I feel like much of the problem is that Mr Green Boo felt rather... passive?

The idea of attacking the surroundings plant life was nifty, but it (at least to me) didn't come across as a case of the boss being particularly connected to them or making much 'effort' to defend them.

Part of it is probably just that Big Boo moves so... slowly relative to the stage size.

Some of it I think is that most of the significant threats for a majority of the battle were uncoordinated projectiles from stationary sources, which really feel much more like terrain hazard than an attack from a deliberate foe. Even the most minimal way to change that, something like the projectile sources having a little token swaying that barely affects gameplay, would improve the feel significantly I think.

In some ways, even if left mechanically 100% the same, I would imagine some custom spritework to make the whole of that which you fight seem like a more unified entity, is something that might have helped in theory too. Of course, that's more ambitious than the MaFAB likely would have allowed for time to do really.

It wouldn't solve it fully but would also have been good to prevent the boo-despawning. Don't think there's any vanilla way to do that though that would be a relatively easy Luna trick.

The concept behind it had potential and is a nifty idea though.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

The idea of attacking the surroundings plant life was nifty, but it (at least to me) didn't come across as a case of the boss being particularly connected to them or making much 'effort' to defend them.
There we go. That's the words I was looking for.

Nifty boss idea, but not exactly the greatest implementation of it I guess? The fact the boo just... stopped doing anything to you after a while meant there was only one threat the entire time really which was a single lazy rinka shooter that was just sorta there, except when it wasn't, because you could frequently scroll it off screen leaving you with just a lot of downtime and meh?

I guess.

I agree it's a nifty concept tho.
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

Abstract Volcanoes are the Only Place for Bouncing: A lot of the level seemed to boil down to "tank the abrupt armies of enemies by grabbing the abrupt armies of mushrooms". Neat concept with the bouncing, but I think it needed to stew a bit longer.

Snifit's Ruins: The thing about SMBX is that moving layers don't often lend themselves to platforming well. With them, even simple jumps and maneuvers can become real finicky real fast if you aren't careful. That being said, the level itself has a lot of promise and cool ideas that I think just needed a more stable environment to play out.

Liege's Goliath Glen: I'd agree with what others have said that there needed to be more direction with how to go about the battle. Destroying the environment to defeat the boss is a really cool idea, but when the giant boo that seems to be the boss itself is basically a giant red herring that has nothing to do with the battle and various things happen at random time intervals it gets... confusing, to say the least. Still, for the two days allotted, I think this is a very commendable entry!
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Abstract Volcano would probably be a lot easier for someone like me who would slowly crawl through the level tossing the hammers at the enemies to make sure they couldn't hurt me, but that'd also make for a much more boring video to watch.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
SnackJackSJ
*Pressing controller buttons and plucking guitar strings furiously*
First name: Adam

Post by SnackJackSJ »

Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:Abstract Volcano would probably be a lot easier for someone like me who would slowly crawl through the level tossing the hammers at the enemies to make sure they couldn't hurt me, but that'd also make for a much more boring video to watch.

Sounds kind of amusing actually. Smacking turtles and mushrooms upside the head with hammers haha
Whoa! Jack plays Mario Hacks?!
peace, love, and music
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach

Post by zmonbobbo »

Willhart wrote:
zmonbobbo wrote:As it was, it was a bit unintuitive, but still, a pretty neat concept (and definitely not angercow tier IMO).
None of the levels have had angry cow warnings yet. There has been only banners and notifications about levels not following the gimmicks.
Oh, whoops. Guess I misinterpreted the first line of that level intro text box somehow.
I'm probably driving right now.
Miyoron

Post by Miyoron »

Can someone explain what the Magic cards are for? They don't seem to do anything except be on the screen for 30 seconds.
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

Miyoron wrote:Can someone explain what the Magic cards are for? They don't seem to do anything except be on the screen for 30 seconds.
I think how they work is the card that you choose is the gimmick that you have to use for the boss.
IE: The Ludwig Battle used one of the cards to have the "avoid anything that's not red"
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Entrants to the boss contest were given seven Magic cards. We were asked to use at least one as inspiration for the boss fight in some way. How we interpreted them was up to us.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

Slimeman01 wrote:
Miyoron wrote:Can someone explain what the Magic cards are for? They don't seem to do anything except be on the screen for 30 seconds.
I think how they work is the card that you choose is the gimmick that you have to use for the boss.
IE: The Ludwig Battle used one of the cards to have the "avoid anything that's not red"
Kind of. The cards were to the bosses what the names were to the normal levels - we were given a bunch of those and we had to pick at least one to inspire our boss battle.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

The seven cards shown are all of the cards given to that particular entrant. They're similar to the list of names for levels in the main contest, except in this case, any number of cards can be incorporated into the boss design, and to any extent. A boss can draw inspiration from a card's name, a card's description, a card's picture... Pretty much anything (though more clever interpretations of cards would naturally earn more points than simply using a card's picture as a boss sprite.)

There is no need to incorporate every single card, nor is there a need to only use one of them. Points for incorporating your cards are given by how effectively or creatively you mix them into your boss design, and while incorporating every single card WOULD earn a good few points in that area, entries could earn just as many points by using only two cards, but doing so in a way that's particularly clever, effective, and fun.

Also, "Usage of Cards" makes up 1/3 of the possible 30 points. The remaining 20 are all for "Fun".

Somebody needs to actually describe this somewhere, because we've already seen this question more times than we've seen bosses.

...And the question has already been answered in the time it took to be so comprehensive about this but dang it, I'm going to be comprehensive and that's that!
I don't really get it but okay
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

I like that boss because I could pick out almost every use of the cards myself as a casual observer who knows nothing of Magic.
This would be me:
Once everything clicks, the boss really works... but It might have taken a bit to get it... I would have added a lua based HP meter or something. Or have forest energy symbols that also vanish. IDK. Very close for me.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Oh man late for a retrospective.
247th - ebullientesquivalience: 'Snifit's Ruins' - This level didn't really connect to the name. It just seemed to be a bunch of moving layers, and the "small middle part" was the Snifit Ruins. Still ... kinda like "Airships and such".

29th - Minnakht: 'Liege's Goliath Glen' - First of all, the music doesn't fit in. Second of all, WHO DARES TO TRY AND STOP THE TIME BOMB?
Also, seeing the "designs" of the levels so far in the train station, this one probably ticked off one of the judges pretty badly. Also, seeing how my level is designed compared to the levels so far in the Train world, I probably won't see mine in there (despite being a "first level").
Last edited by blue_kirby 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"That's embarrassing"