(shouting)

Soldexus: Partial Guide, with video walkthrough!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Re: Soldexus: Complete Guide, with video walkthrough!

Post by Imipolex G »

You do indeed get Parry free after the next boss, so I'd buy attack and defense stuffs instead.

As for the minigame, I never completed it but I give raocow props for trying!

Also, as Taigiry said, I kinda wonder what a remake or update of this game could be like. Fix its major shortcomings (more balanced gameplay, better graphics and music, etc.) and it could actually be very good, I think.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If raocow is using 1.01, maybe he should try 1.02, since it's supposedly has been easier.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

SAJewers wrote:Based on his website 1.02 appears to just fix Vista compatibility.

EDIT: Changelog on his website says this:
What's new Version 1.02
------------------------------------------------
-fixed float bug
-fixed a bug with slicer
-tweaked easier
-disabled a debug key that I forgot to earlier
-due to my computer keeling over I lost some fonts
What! Where'd you find that? He told me 2 years ago he doesn't have a website anymore.

I think that float bug is that High Double Jump Glitch I mentioned earlier, but I have no idea what he means by the slicer.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

you guys should have been posting about the parry thing before I actualyl record things :D
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I didn't know! I know, shocking, but it's the truth!

After the 3rd boss, I want you to explore the 'reward' room through thoroughly. I need you to feel up every block in that room. Your sword will NOT help you find what I'm talking about.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Fapnoob

Post by Fapnoob »

Wow you did warn me but that was some awful minigame filled video.
Please do it off camera or not at all to save your sanity.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Based on his website 1.02 appears to just fix Vista compatibility.

EDIT: Changelog on his website says this:
What's new Version 1.02
------------------------------------------------
-fixed float bug
-fixed a bug with slicer
-tweaked easier
-disabled a debug key that I forgot to earlier
-due to my computer keeling over I lost some fonts
What! Where'd you find that? He told me 2 years ago he doesn't have a website anymore.

I think that float bug is that High Double Jump Glitch I mentioned earlier, but I have no idea what he means by the slicer.
It's Page 4 of Google Results for "Soldexus"
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote:2000-4000: Focus on the UFOs, they will be your main source of points
I don't think this is accurate. Sure the UFOs are worth 2.5x the points of the meteors (50 points versus 20) but they're also vastly outnumbered by the meteors too.
Remember to buy Parry first (you are right next to a warp point).
People have mentioned this before but the way Parry works doesn't really go with raocow's play style at all. I dunno why you keep recommending he get it, especially when it's apparently not necessary for the final boss like you said earlier in the thread.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I think sebby just really likes a certain type of play and kind of sees it as the most efficient way to go, sort of like dark soul players, whereas I'm clearly the 'stand back and let the barrage of sword lasers do the work yo' (and it honestly serves me pretty well!)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:I think sebby just really likes a certain type of play and kind of sees it as the most efficient way to go, sort of like dark soul players, whereas I'm clearly the 'stand back and let the barrage of sword lasers do the work yo' (and it honestly serves me pretty well!)
Sure, I can see that. But there's a point where you (you being a generalized you, Sebby in particular in this case) have to step back and realize that you (you as in you you, raocow) aren't going to just up and change the way you play games at this point. The better option is to try and give you help that would better suit your play style instead since that would actually accomplish something.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess that's a good analogy. Even though I've never played Dark Souls, and never will.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Is the parrying timing really that strict?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Well, to be fair, it did say the coupon is only good once. Would be nice if you could choose whether to use or save it for later though. I think it kinda feels wasted on buying an attack level up, but it would've been perfect to use it for buying the Hint Ring.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

So that parrying game thing looked fun and by fun I mean okay sure. Kind of disappointing that raocow couldn't use that coupon on the Hint Ring because money reasons but oh well.

Also for some reason watching this inspired me to try Valdis Story and the difference in quality is kind of something to behold despite the problems Valdis Story itself has. It helps beating people up unarmed is enjoyable.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh my gosh raocow. You just squandered that coupon. I face palmed SO HARD when you bought the Attack Up. And when you realized that it was only good once, YOU WENT AND SAVED ANYWAY!

You could have saved yourself 7500 money. Do you know how LONG it takes to get back up to 15000? Especially with your tendency to not kill everything in sight (you have yet to destroy a Fire Orb [spike top guys]). If you really want to earn the money, it would take a few trips on the Death Train. But I may just give you a 100% save file, so you can see the 100% completion bonus.

Anyways... new ability

Parry
Tap left or right (doesn't matter) just before you are about to be hit, and you will deflect the attack, both projectile and physical. A pro level move that requires a lot of practice to master, but when you do master it, 'tanking' hits actually becomes a viable option, and it will become 2nd nature to you. The best and safest way to practise Parry is the Parry Challenge. For projectiles, wait until it is half a block away. Physical attacks, you just need to know the timing. You can chain Parry several times in a row for attack that last a long time. Stops your in midair, like the midair Charge Slash. You can't do it while recovering from the Critical Strike.

Back then, I didn't really understand Parry either, often activating it by accident when trying to escape. It seemed too risky, until I passed the Parry Challenge, and understood the timing. Now I love it. Makes Phobos' Lawyer a piece of cake.
Also understand that when I say it doesn't matter if you tap left or right, it really doesn't matter. An attack could come from the left, but you don't have to 'walk into it' to Parry'.

I remember another LP of Rao's that had a similar ability, and he said he was good at it because Streetfighter (or another fighting game) had something similar.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Sebby19 wrote:Oh my gosh raocow. You just squandered that coupon. I face palmed SO HARD when you bought the Attack Up. And when you realized that it was only good once, YOU WENT AND SAVED ANYWAY!
Maybe because he didn't want to redo a load of walking and such just because he didn't make totally optimal use of an item? I think he made the right choice there.
1234abcdcba4321
this is a guy

Post by 1234abcdcba4321 »

Is there a reward for the parry challenge?
yo.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

A Defense Up.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I'm going to advise Rao to not do the Parry Challenge thing, actually.

Too many more zero progress episodes and I feel that he's going to quit prematurely.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I recommend rao plow on through to completion of the main game. He'll know better whether he wants to play more side stuff - and if so, which side stuff - after he's trounced Phobos.
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

Parry challenge is another thing I never finished...obviously, since I never learned to parry.

Considering how important it is to kill dudes in this game, I don't think that using the coupon for an attack up is really that bad. More useful than the overpriced hint ring, really.

also
I found it slightly amusing how raocow walked partway into the walk-through wall but apparently didn't notice.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

about Spoiler: Yeah, I know! Right at 3:11. I was getting really excited for a second there.

There is one more green door, all the way at the end of the Volcanic Labyrinth.

Pirate:
Movement: Stationary
Attacks:
-Throws 6 Mombs, in 3 volleys: A single one, 2, and then 3.
+Bomb: Travels in a arc, toward your location. Solid, destructible, don't damage. Dodging or attacking them ends the minigame, you must Parry.
-

Prolonged Mega Laser (tell: grins, reveals a shoulder cannon, ! mark above his head)=A giant purple laser straight forward, that lasts a few seconds. Doesn't damage you. You must chain several Parry's in a row to pass the minigame.

Other: Invincible
Not really an enemy, he's just there to challenge you if you have Parry. Pass his challenge, and he'll give you a defense up, and disappears from the world.
Last edited by Sebby19 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Alice

Post by Alice »

Imipolex G wrote:
I found it slightly amusing how raocow walked partway into the walk-through wall but apparently didn't notice.
To be fair that actually looked like part of his attack animation. I didn't even notice that it wasn't until I went back and looked.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Most of those attacks did look really easy to parry. Good thing that raocow survived anyway.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

that boss fight actually looked pretty fun!