(shouting)

Soldexus: Partial Guide, with video walkthrough!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Soldexus: Partial Guide, with video walkthrough!

Post by Sebby19 »

The game: http://gamemakergames.com/archive/soldexus
The tool to make it run on Vista/7: http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 6&id=12637

You just simply drag and drop the game onto the tool's icon. It was made for Vista, but I can confirm it works on 7 as well, which I have.
You'll then have two copies of Soldexus, the original (with a slight filename change), and the new one you want.
As for Windows 8 and up, the game will crash when too many sounds play at the same time, like breaking 4 blocks at the same time, making the game unwinnable.
4120_soldexus2.png
4120_soldexus2.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 7766 times
So the next game is Soldexus! One of my personal favorite GameMaker games, this is a simple Metriodvania that I fell in love with. I just like swinging the sword at my enemies. And being the creator's first game, it's an impressive feat to behold. I hope to contact him in the future and bring him down to the talkhaus to say hello, as game authors tend to do these days.
Last edited by Sebby19 8 years ago, edited 25 times in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Re: Soldexus

Post by Grounder »

Sebby19 wrote:
4120_soldexus2.png
So the next game is Soldexus! One of my personal favorite GameMaker games, this is a simple Metriodvania that I fell in love with. I just like swinging the sword at my enemies. And being the creator's first game, it's an impressive feat to behold. I hope to contact him in the future and bring him down to the talkhaus to say hello, as game authors tend to do these days.
you've been begging raocow to play your game for four dang years

you aren't fooling anyone
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

isnt the next game a smw hack or whatever

or is this what people voted on on Patreon for after vldc
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Leet wrote:isnt the next game a smw hack or whatever
The smw aspe likely won't be ready before the next magle.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I'm getting an AUS vibe from this first video for some reason.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I like it so far, the enemies actually look dangerous.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Looking dark so far, so I hope things become more visible later on. Has got me interested for a game that's nearly 10 years old, back when Windows XP was the main OS.

How long is this game, though?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

raocow wrote:I already went here, like already started the game and stuff and looked around, configured my pad
raocow what the heck are you doing
why are you playing sebby "you know, raocow, you really should use the keyboard" 19's request of the past 4 1/2 years on not the keyboard
Fapnoob

Post by Fapnoob »

Real Untitled Story vibe from this.
Interested.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
raocow wrote:I already went here, like already started the game and stuff and looked around, configured my pad
why are you playing sebby "you know, raocow, you really should use the keyboard" 19's request of the past 4 1/2 years on not the keyboard
because it's funny
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Looks cool, it's nice to see one of those easygoing amateur games again

I hope it's not going to stay this dark with enemies blending with the background though

Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I know raocow said he got sort of a Distorted Travesty feel from it IIRC, but I'd disagree, this game... I dunno, first impressions aren't too great given the immensely slow start and the difficulty. Metroidvanias are fun games, but I don't really want to wander around the first ten or so minutes of gameplay looking at entirely blank hallways the nsuddenly get killed out of nowhere. Maybe if the Great Hall was enemy populated from the get-go it wouldn't be as bad, but... eh.

Point is, not the best first impression and I'm not sure why it was so persistently requested, but I assume the game picks up later. At least I hope it does.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm not going to watch this game because it's ugly
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

raocow wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
because it's funny
True.

Also having watched the rest of the video now, uhh... gonna be honest, I dunno about this game here thus far. Having your only means of attack be 'stand next to the thing and smack it with your sword a few times, walk away a bit, repeat until dead thing' is super repetitive and tedious, you take downright stupid high damage from everything ever, the platforming has like nothing going on... it's just not looking good so far. I imagine it'll get better with the double-jump and eventually a ranged attack of some sort, but geez, this is not a good first impression.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Attacks:
Sword Swipe
Range: 1.5 blocks
basic attack

Crouch Swipe
Range: 1.25 blocks
Has less range, and waaaay less practical use. Only a couple situations I can think of to use this.

Up Swing
Range: .75 blocks forward, 1 block up?
Swing your sword like a golf club. A little bit more utility, but it's generally not a good idea to be directly underneath a flying monster, so only use this as a kill move. Has also one other critical use, but that is far into the game.
Try this one the little Waddling Heads ;)

Charge Slash
Range: 2 blocks... to start
Damage: somewhere between 2 and 2.5
Had raocow gone into the Extra menu and read the intructions, he would have known to hold the attack button, and release when he glows red. This is how you want to deal with most enemies. That green Zombie would have gone down in 3 Charge Slashes, as opposed to the 7 normal slices.
Behaves the same in midair, but you pause in midair while you do so.

Air Swipe
Range: 1.25 blocks
Curious this has the same range as the useless crouch slice, but it shouldn't matter much, since you can move while attacking in the air, even backwards!

Overhead slash
Range: 1 block up
Better than the ground variant. The range seems to extend a little further than the animation, since I have been able to attack Waddling Heads through 1 block ceilings

Down stab
Range: half block down
THIS IS NOT ZELDA 2! You will not pogo off your enemies. Instead you will both be damaged. Only try this on the Waddling Heads, and only with good timing.

Next time... enemies seen and moves

Yeah, raocow, head into the Extra menu and look up the instructions. It's better to get some good tips there, rather than wait for me to reveal them in this topic.
Last edited by Sebby19 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Also having watched the rest of the video now, uhh... gonna be honest, I dunno about this game here thus far. Having your only means of attack be 'stand next to the thing and smack it with your sword a few times, walk away a bit, repeat until dead thing' is super repetitive and tedious, you take downright stupid high damage from everything ever, the platforming has like nothing going on... it's just not looking good so far. I imagine it'll get better with the double-jump and eventually a ranged attack of some sort, but geez, this is not a good first impression.
It's part of the genre to make the player start weak, and then give them more powers as they progress. Hopefully things will be well balanced. There are also a lot of effects used, which don't look too easy to make on game maker.
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

So I downloaded this game to try it out, nothing happens when I try to launch it. Is there some trick to getting older GM games to work on Windows 7?
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

This might not have the greatest graphics, but graphics aren't everything. Everybody remembers AUS, after all...

Anyway, as a fan of Metroidvanias I am interested to see where this goes. It has a sense of humor, at least.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Imipolex G wrote:This might not have the greatest graphics, but graphics aren't everything. Everybody remembers AUS, after all...
But AUS has great graphics ?_?
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

This game looks like it could really use a backdash, to be honest.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Telamon wrote:So I downloaded this game to try it out, nothing happens when I try to launch it. Is there some trick to getting older GM games to work on Windows 7?
I was able to get to the loading screen by using the Game Maker Game Conversion program from here.
http://help.yoyogames.com/entries/26992 ... -GameMaker

It's still giving me this error though and does not allow me to actually play the game.
Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements, and that your drivers are up-to-date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching to a lower resolution.
Good thing raocow has not updated his operating system for a long time.
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

dr_kraid wrote:
Imipolex G wrote:This might not have the greatest graphics, but graphics aren't everything. Everybody remembers AUS, after all...
But AUS has great graphics ?_?
AUS looks like it was drawn in MS Paint by some kid. Still a great game, though.

Also where do people get these bizarre emoticons like ?_?
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I tried playing this a few months ago and I couldn't get into it. You know how at the end of this first video the game is just starting and it feels like it's just about to pick up? Well, it doesn't. It's just more walking through empty rooms that all look the same with simple enemies that deal way too much damage and take way too many hits to die. Metroidvanias are all about exploration and it's simply not fun to explore in this game.

Of course I did only play for maybe an hour, so I was still in the early game with few upgrades. Hopefully the game does get more interesting in the midgame.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

It's exactly this that stopped me from bashing on the game's graphics, especially since yeah, AUS had graphics that looked like it was children's drawings, but it was intentional from what I understand (Runman had a similar aesthetic and it was a pretty alright game too). It's the gameplay that's currently looking rather eh (as people have already mentioned, rather bland start, no enemies until the second area, enemies are hilariously strong while you are hilariously weak, and the game decides to leave all of its control scheme stuff and alternate attacks in the extras section, rather than maybe putting it in its own section so that a player doesn't just skip over it thinking it's side stuff), and I'm hoping it picks up, if only because I don't want it to turn out that Sebby suggested this game for so long only for it to under-deliver.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Imipolex G wrote:AUS looks like it was drawn in MS Paint by some kid. Still a great game, though.
There's a difference between graphics and aesthetic. AUS doesn't have super high quality graphics but that doesn't make the graphics bad because they have a specific style to them that works for the game. It's the same idea as Nintendo games not having super realistic graphics but still looking good because of the aesthetic they go for.