(shouting)

raocow plays Dragon: Polly Nimbus

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: raocow plays Dragon: Quetzal

Post by jayScribble »

This game is... quite a thing. It's just so bizarre to just absorb at the start. I just hope that it's gets better later on.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

It probably doesn't recognize your controller because your controller only supports DirectInput, while the game only supports XInput. Set up x360ce and it should recognize your controller.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

SAJewers wrote:It probably doesn't recognize your controller because your controller only supports DirectInput, while the game only supports XInput. Set up x360ce and it should recognize your controller.
Even with X360CE, XInput is BS. That's Microsoft going like "You know what? f***** other people's controllers, Now you have to buy ours or they wont work.

I bought Sonic Adventure 2 on Steam and it didn't recognise my controller, tried X360CE and that didn't help much. The analog stick only registered as Button Pressed" or "Button not pressed" meaning I was stuck running everywhere and the stick sensitivity was non-existent which is veery useful in a game where you need to control your speed by pulling the stick slightly. A waste of money buying the game. Xinput is Microsoft being a bunch of *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep**beep*

[/Rant]
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It looked like the game skipped a little forward from time to time, making the movement to not look too smooth. There was some slowdown too, probably from the recording. The layering does make for a neat effect, and I like how clean the hand drawn style is. Every area will hopefully contain something unique to them too.

Edit: It's also possible that youtube is extremely slow for me today for some reason.
Last edited by Willhart 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Horikawa Otane wrote:just buy an xbox one controller you're a rich internet celebrity now
Wut? I wish.
ImageImageImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Oh hey it's The White Dragon's game! I could have played an Alpha of it, but he sent it to me during the final days of my Master's Thesis, and I did not get around to trying it at all.

I hope it doesn't try too much to coast on aesthetics alone later on, so far nothing much is going on - let's see.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

jayScribble wrote:This game is... quite a thing. It's just so bizarre to just absorb at the start. I just hope that it's gets better later on.
What was so bizarre about it? Everything seemed pretty logical and straightforward to me.

I'm really digging this game aesthetically. It really is a big departure from the way Meat Boy played.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I really love the artstyle and the writing, and this game is all around hilarious

Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Shinoda wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:just buy an xbox one controller you're a rich internet celebrity now
Wut? I wish.
Not you. raocow
Ah! That makes more sense.

You heard the lady, buy an Xbox controller with the money we throw at you! Less Joy2Key more... errm... non-Joy2Key?
ImageImageImage
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

This game is kind of super adorable.
FlavorText

Post by FlavorText »

Hooooooly crap you are playing this game

Ok, so the guy who made this game is kind of infamous on a group of indie game devs I am part of. The easiest way to explain why is to just post his partial source code, that he himself put on the internet. Look upon his works, ye talkhaus, and despair:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/ales ... 7/drgn.txt

Yes, that is the entirety of the game. In one file. In one function. With no data structures. With no loops.

We tried, oh we tried, to give him advice. He wanted to add a new attack, but he would have to redraw over a hundred sprites. Why? Because all of the particles were drawn onto the character's spritesheet. Literally drawn. Those page-flip transition effects? Each one is a 3000x3000 spritesheet of the page being turned through all its states of being-turned; a different spritesheet for each page.

The other side of this is, this guy put an absolutely absurd amount of work into the game. Thousands of hours. Probably more than almost anyone else in the group on all their own games. Dozens of hours on one spritesheet. Who knows how much time manually setting collider locations for his hand-scanned hand-drawn worlds. And, of course, endless time copy-pasting variables and renaming them over and over and over.

I am actually super looking forward to this LP as I have only seen the terrible terrible sausage-making process, but I have never tried the meal. I want to see if pure stubbornheadedness and masochistic dedication can overcome common sense and logic and produce an enjoyable game. It's like seeing the guy who entered the Olympics but is still on lap 1 by the time everyone else has finished; despite everything, you still end up cheering for him to keep going and cross the finish line.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

holy moly

I guess that explains why you can only open the menu at the house ?!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Oh Man
Where is my water buffalo? Why don't I have a water buffalo?

Post by Oh Man »

It's cute, but it doesn't really look all that fun to play and so far lots of stuff looks really sloppy.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

FlavorText wrote: Yes, that is the entirety of the game. In one file. In one function. With no data structures. With no loops.
I don't know much about programming, but wouldn't that make the game crazy in memory use?
ImageImageImage
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Oh man, those waving sword guys. They try so hard and look adorable doing so.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

FlavorText wrote:https://gist.githubusercontent.com/ales ... 7/drgn.txt

Yes, that is the entirety of the game. In one file. In one function. With no data structures. With no loops.

Code: Select all

//The actual file is three to four times what is shown here.  But it
//works, and isn't that what matters?
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

I like the start where he goes off on a paragraph long rant about Docter Seuss and ties it into his code (and why you should never follow his example because it is horrible).
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

That is some of the most horrific code I've ever seen, coming from a near comp-sci graduate.
Like, PLEASE USE ARRAYS OR HASHES AT LEAST??? Every single thing ever is instantiated one by one omg.
Also there's like a billion if clauses and the non-DRY-ness is killing me.

At least the game looks nice lol.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Oh hey, this. I watched NakaTeleeli's "Let's Try" of this a few weeks ago.

First, some advice. Visit the Dragon's home regularly between completing stages,
the penalty for dying, is that you lose the gold you had on you. I think.

(It may be completely possible that I'm remembering this wrong. In that case, ignore this post.)
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/ales ... 7/drgn.txt

Seriously? Yuck!
That's why restrictive programming should be an important part of learning to code.
(Nothing extreme, just limited RAM, and memory use within reasoning.)
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: raocow plays Dragon: Ord

Post by jayScribble »

Does collecting the powerups require you to do something in the stage or is it ability related? So far raocow has shown two powerups in those situations.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Would using electric breath on the motorboat's fan do anything?

Anyway, this game is just kind of happening for the most part thus far, and it seems to be rather short. :/
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It feels a little weird to see a platformer that takes place in a modern setting.

Looking at the code, I wonder if there is a puzzle in every level, or just some of them. It'll be difficult to keep track of the completion if there are no notifications about completed levels.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

uh hey raocow
i haven't played this game, but i have a suspicion that setting off the sheep rebellion freed up that powerup that was blocked by the sheep in green grasslands 1

just puttin that out there
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage