(shouting)

8th VLDC: RIP Ningamer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kerkec

Re: 8th VLDC ~ raocow does a lp of a hacked version of a 1991 game from a company in japan because he can

Post by Kerkec »

FrozenQuills wrote:EDIT: Just realized Kerkec (who just posted here) made this, but yeah your aesthetics are really fantastic. Too bad that the level's major flaws are in its difficulty and length especially with the footballs.
thanks, and yeah, I let it get too long and by then I was too attached to what I did to cut anything out
footballs are terrible, but I guess I got too used to them in testing to remember just how terrible they are
(if you try to jump over them while they're coming down from the highest bounce, they're generally manageable, but they're still... not great, and I am sorry)
anonymousbl00dlust

Re: 8th VLDC ~ cake level

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

I just wanted to pop in this thread and say that I thought the cake level was really fun.

Surprise!
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, footballs are now worse than line spring thingies. OK then.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

SAJewers wrote:So, footballs are now worse than line spring thingies. OK then.
don't forget fishing fish guy

someone needs to make a level featuring all three of them for a future project, I'm sure it'll be super fun
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Kerkec wrote:

someone needs to make a level featuring all three of them for a future project, I'm sure it'll be super fun
what the hell 2 when
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Grounder wrote:
Kerkec wrote:

what the hell 2 when
there was a what the hell 2 tho
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: there was a what the hell 2 tho
oh putain de merde when
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
DrTapeworm
IT'S NEITHER KISSY NOR CUTIE, IT'S TRASH
Pronouns: they/them

Post by DrTapeworm »

Well it looks like Cakewalk Cavern most certainly wasn't, hahahaha!

The joke is that it is pitchin lotus hell

"The apex predator Spinosaurus, a dinosaur, would later develop a similar sail in an example of convergent evolution, thereby cheating Dimetrodon out of royalties." -Sad Dinosaur Facts
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Re: 8th VLDC ~ raocow does a lp of a hacked version of a 1991 game from a company in japan because he can

Post by FusionWarrior »

Kerkec wrote:
FrozenQuills wrote:EDIT: Just realized Kerkec (who just posted here) made this, but yeah your aesthetics are really fantastic. Too bad that the level's major flaws are in its difficulty and length especially with the footballs.
thanks, and yeah, I let it get too long and by then I was too attached to what I did to cut anything out
footballs are terrible, but I guess I got too used to them in testing to remember just how terrible they are
(if you try to jump over them while they're coming down from the highest bounce, they're generally manageable, but they're still... not great, and I am sorry)
Honestly this level, while too long and should have been 2 or 3, REALLY makes me look forward to seeing your MaGL X2 level. I certainly LOVE your aesthetic style!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Kerkec wrote:

Footballs and Fishing Boos would conflict though, as they share a spot in their GFX files, so you can't just mix it.

You'd have to edit the Football to take up another 16x16 tile. At that point might as well throw in the diagonal Bills, jumping Fish and Volcano Lotuses while using SA-1 to ensure maximum sprite spammage
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Kerkec - Cakewalk Cavern
S.N.N.
CREATIVE USE OF VANILLA RESOURCES: 23/25
APPROPRIATE DIFFICULTY CURVE: 19/25
OVERALL LEVEL QUALITY: 20/25
AESTHETICS: 24/25

OVERALL: 86/100

COMMENTS: I really liked the aesthetic of this level, as well as your use of vanilla gimmicks (e.g. flying fish and the Hammer Bros. platforms), but I found certain parts of the level to be either cramped, or just generally frustrating (after the midpoint especially). I think it could have been a tad shorter overall.

Eternity
CREATIVE USE OF VANILLA RESOURCES: 22/25
APPROPRIATE DIFFICULTY CURVE: 18/25
OVERALL LEVEL QUALITY: 20/25
AESTHETICS: 22/25

OVERALL: 82/100

COMMENTS: A few areas were a bit unfair or too cramped (the P-Balloon section comes to mind), but otherwise this was very nicely designed and had some great aesthetics as well. Had some nice spritework and interesting uses of certain enemies, such as the Blurps outside of water.

MrDeePay
Creativity: 18/25
Curves: 22/25
Level: 17/25
Aesthetics: 23/25

Overall: 80/100

Comments: The level has a very cluttered feel to it and it doesn't hide the fact that SMW spikes are just glorified munchers that hurt you from the sides, especially considering how they're placed in the level practically everywhere. The palette plays into this confusion and it can be occasionally difficult to make out what's what with how much goes on at any given time. (Palette 6 looking miscolored is a different matter, but it doesn't help the aesthetic.) It does do some neat things with the moving platforms, but it can't make up for how cluttered the level feels with enemy projectile spam in confined spaces.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

DrTapeworm wrote:

Confused Charlies and Volcano Loti really are overused. What's up with that.
DrTapeworm
IT'S NEITHER KISSY NOR CUTIE, IT'S TRASH
Pronouns: they/them

Post by DrTapeworm »

dr_kraid wrote:
DrTapeworm wrote:

Confused Charlies and Volcano Loti really are overused. What's up with that.
a) they both spew tons of small projectiles and b) they're in the same sprite set.
"The apex predator Spinosaurus, a dinosaur, would later develop a similar sail in an example of convergent evolution, thereby cheating Dimetrodon out of royalties." -Sad Dinosaur Facts
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

today's levels happened
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

in the comments one of the authors of today's levels said that his level has a secret exit but it's not marked as such, is this true ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Whoa raocow don't spoil yourself at the beginning of the video there!
Levels were pretty decent today. What even is that weird glitch in the first level though.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

raocow wrote:in the comments one of the authors of today's levels said that his level has a secret exit but it's not marked as such, is this true ?
No he's lying so he gets more video time !!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

There is a secret exit, yes. However, the author made no mention of it upon submitting the level, and the screen exit that supposedly leads to it points to an original vanilla level, so it was never marked.
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

raocow wrote:in the comments one of the authors of today's levels said that his level has a secret exit but it's not marked as such, is this true ?
Whether or not that's the case, the important thing is is that it doesn't have a check mark. :p
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Me, at the beginning of the cake level: "Kirby music, instant 10/10"
and now I know that kirby music and awesome level aesthetic alone cannot win you top 10... geez
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

I'm pretty sure I saw some guy commenting that on today's video, but in any case...
The next level's secret requires a switch palace you'll find later on
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

As far as "cave levels with lava lotuses and footballmen" goes, I think I liked Lotus Cave Overpass from VLDC7 more. I guess it's 'cause that one was really short, which made the challenge level feel more rewarding. For Cakewalk Cavern, I ended up using savestates because I didn't want to redo the football section over and over again. I will agree that the aesthetics are very nice, though.

Y'know, for a level called "Cave of Wall Springboards", it didn't really use wall springboards all that much, did it?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

waffledoctor87 - Cave of Wall Springboards
S.N.N.
CREATIVE USE OF VANILLA RESOURCES: 14/25
APPROPRIATE DIFFICULTY CURVE: 13/25
OVERALL LEVEL QUALITY: 15/25
AESTHETICS: 13/25

OVERALL: 55/100

COMMENTS: While not an inherently bad level, I find the design to be rather random and sporadic. A lot of sprites feel like they have no purpose and/or don't really impede the player's progress, and the fact that you can bypass the entire second half of the level rather easily (going over the ceiling) is rather disheartening.

Eternity
CREATIVE USE OF VANILLA RESOURCES: 17/25
APPROPRIATE DIFFICULTY CURVE: 14/25
OVERALL LEVEL QUALITY: 15/25
AESTHETICS: 13/25

OVERALL: 59/100

COMMENTS: Rather interesting design, but it has quite a few unusual design choices. Overall it could use some focus, as the level seems to randomly shift gimmicks a lot. There aren't a lot of wall springboards, for example, and this level goes through a lot of different sprites and setups without developing on most of them.

MrDeePay
Creativity: 19/25
Curves: 13/25
Level: 12/25
Aesthetics: 15/25

Overall: 59/100

Comments: There is a very unpolished feeling to this level and plays like that it was only tested as small Mario. Many jumps become a bother to make otherwise. Such as the "staircase" over the lava after the midpoint, the pea bouncer near the end, and the bone-to-ledge jump with before the midpoint. The ceiling and lack of a ceiling near the midpoint makes it possible to skip the entire second half and head straight to the goal and your use of Puntin' Chucks leads to many instances where the player can be hit unexpectedly; such as running up a wall. The concept is OK, the execution? Not so much.
LimeMaster92 - Cave of Bones
S.N.N.
CREATIVE USE OF VANILLA RESOURCES: 20/25
APPROPRIATE DIFFICULTY CURVE: 17/25
OVERALL LEVEL QUALITY: 18/25
AESTHETICS: 17/25

OVERALL: 71/100

COMMENTS: An interesting take on a cave level, but a couple of design choices soured the experience. The second half had bouts of high difficulty (dodging the first Blargg on the skull raft), whereas other parts of it were devoid of enemies. I think you went a bit overboard on the Munchers near the end as well.

Eternity
CREATIVE USE OF VANILLA RESOURCES: 15/25
APPROPRIATE DIFFICULTY CURVE: 12/25
OVERALL LEVEL QUALITY: 14/25
AESTHETICS: 15/25

OVERALL: 56/100

COMMENTS: While a few parts were rather empty and lacked sprites, other areas were slightly cramped and had too much of them. Overall it was a fine level, but some weird areas brought it down a lot. Carrying the P-Switch from the start of the level through the nets was a pain, for example, and there were a few cases of unnecessary muncher spamming near the end.

MrDeePay
Creativity: 13/25
Curves: 12/25
Level: 11/25
Aesthetics: 16/25

Overall: 52/100

Comments: The sprite distribution has a strong "last second" feel. Placed with no real consistency or flow, which in turns effects the difficulty (and quality) of the level to both extremes. The first half reeks of JOE (which is "Jump Over Everything" while the placement in the second half makes the level more luck-based and "fortunate timing."
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. You take the yellow pill, just call me in the morning.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

Matrix Mines is probably the best level in Cave World. Also, it contains what is probably my favorite SMW remix.