mario fan games galaxyirc.cat.biosmbx community

Horikawa Plays MEGA MAN 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean

Re: Horikawa Plays MaGMML (Make a Good Mega Man Level) - Ep 4 Out!

Postby Bean » 7 months ago

I said it in the comments, but this latest level was basically NES Remix: Mega Man style as it takes two stages (Mega Man 3's second Wily stage in full and the second half of Mega Man 1's first Wily stage) and throws in different elements. If Rush Jet worked properly, that level would be a lot more fun, but it is still basically just two actual stages with new elements or enemies thrown into them.

went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby went » 7 months ago

What was the music in the level? It's driving me insane trying to remember.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane

cheez8
Food Nut

Postby cheez8 » 7 months ago

went wrote:What was the music in the level? It's driving me insane trying to remember.
The music is an NES cover of MM7's Wily Stage 3 music.

On the topic of Wily Combo, I really wish it had actually gone somewhere with its idea. The only changes made to the source material were the sprites that occupied certain rooms, and they were always similar to what was there in the first place anyway. Nothing about the stages' geography changed as far as I could tell, and some rooms that were recreated here would have been so much better with just a slight layout change. Because of that, the level felt much less like a reimagining and much more like plagiarism as a result - at best, it felt like something I've already played. I couldn't get into it at all.

(general gameplay tip: using weapons is great, but you might want to avoid Rush Jet anytime you have low ceilings or Yoku Blocks. He'll bail on you if you hit your head while jumping on him, as well as anytime he runs into a sprite that you can stand on- even if it's a Yoku Block that has fully disappeared. No matter when it disappears, Rush will vanish as if it was solid the whole time.)

(non-gameplay non-tip: wow, I could hear all the painkillers in your voice. Hang in there, Horikawa!)
I don't really get it but okay

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 7 months ago

Rush jet seems to be cursed. It recently broke stuff spectacularly on 2.0 too. Also top ten soon. Very interested to see how the upcoming levels turn out to be.
Starting a new LP Here. Do give the game a look if you find it interesting.

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 7 months ago

Remember that level I warned you about?

Maze of Death is it.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 7 months ago

Hopefully the level won't be too painful. I wonder how it'll be to score on top 10 too. Also I hope at least some people used custom code.

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 7 months ago

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 7 months ago

Grounder wrote:
This is... Basically true haha. Sorry for the sadkawa episode. It was kinda inevitable. Thankfully I perk up a bit near the end of the next video, which is when I beat the level for real.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Entity1037
That One Person Who Does Things

Postby Entity1037 » 7 months ago

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...

went

Postby went » 6 months ago

Relevant!

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 6 months ago

All of those were blue for some reason too. Not much options.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Postby Horikawa Otane » 6 months ago

Pirby is the hero Dreamland needs, but not the one it deserves.

(Also I like the idea one commenter had that Pirby is the anti-Zanzibar. Like he's the good version)
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

went

It's Zbambabar geez :(

Willhart
Reader on the forums

One more ep next week? Also preparing for the possible Amnesia LP I see. Seems to be leaning a bit more towards Silent Hill and alternative universes though.

Bean

Postby Bean » 6 months ago

The Research Facility was great for a Wily Stage level. Obviously inspired by Mega Man 10 with not only the boss but the structure of a three-tier stage. That was one of the coolest moments in that game.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Hopefully the next Greenlight Reject won't be 100 episodes long. Important thing is that it is still fun. Also the music on the credits and title screen was very neat actually. Also that flower did look familiar.

cheez8
Food Nut

Postby cheez8 » 6 months ago

The one issue with Neon Gravity is that, if you're struggling to really get a feel for how the gravity wells work, the level boils down to incredibly frustrating target practice rooms and completely unpredictable enemy firing patterns. Beating this level took me twenty freaking minutes of almost nothing but that, which didn't do much good for the fun factor.

It still earned top marks on literally everything else though because oh my gosh it's amazing.

went

The music in these levels is so good damnit. I need that Cossack Castle 2 Remix. And the Pursuit 2009 one from the gravity boss. And the Genesis-esque Bowser World map theme. They all sound amazing.

kitikami

Postby kitikami » 6 months ago

I've been trying to keep up with the Ys Origins playthrough on the Twitch archive, and I really enjoyed the floofy collab stream. You two worked really well together, and she definitely added a lot of interesting insight on the Ys series/Nihon Falcom in general. It was a lot of fun to watch.

cheez8
Food Nut

Postby cheez8 » 5 months ago

Apologies for any jankiness or imbalance in my Wily level. I figured Wily 2 was usually the long, enemy-focused level without much instant death, so that's what I aimed for... Might've overdone the length a bit, in hindsight. That or I should've just added one extra checkpoint where it was really needed.

The story behind the weird extra boss hallway basically boils down to "cheez is a ditz". I somehow completely missed every memo that Pyro was going to make bosses for each of the Wily Stages, and figured all of us judges were going to be making levels just as the contestants did. And when I was planning, I realized that when a stage doesn't have any sort of final challenge to cap it off, it just sort of peters out and feels unfulfilling. But I didn't know enough to code my own boss. The solution? Make a sort of pseudo-boss with one final extra-tricky set of rooms! It wasn't as good as a boss, but it was a sufficient satisfying note to end the level on. And, uh, then Pyro made a boss for after that and I was like "oh"

But if you're willing to see it as "the ghost of MM1 boss hallways", I'll gladly take it!

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 5 months ago

It was still okay in terms of idea. Also I think the ending still worked pretty well for finishing things off.

Maybe next episode is the last one. Looking forward to seeing what Wily is really up to.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 4 months ago

MaGMML had a lot of nice level design, and it was fun to watch pretty much throughout, even with some rough spots with the engine and harder levels here and there. The post game levels were neat (especially the gauntlet), and I think the levels were scored fairly too. Great series.

Also next time I'll say just skip the games when doubtful, and if you have time to record another thing.

Lejes

Postby Lejes » 4 months ago

A CastChaos quest, wow. You picked a hell of a thing to get back into Zelda Classic with.

I'm entirely too fond of ZC, even though your assessment of it as archaic was completely right. The features are still almost entirely stock Zelda 1 stuff, so you have to use the engine's scripting language to do anything fancy like real NPCs. And even then it isn't half as powerful as, say, LunaLua. The code itself is also still using Allegro 4.x, I believe. There are still some really good quests, but the good ones are also really hard. Quests tend to be lengthier than just about anything else you've played on your channel (including Return of the Hylian). In the Lost Kingdom of the Banana Blood God (tougher, 4 dungeons, uses newer engine features extensively) and I Hate Mayonnaise 2 (easier, 5 dungeons, sticks mostly to Zelda 1 mechanics) are two common favorites that are relatively shorter than the standard 9 dungeon mold.

AZCT is looking pretty good, too, so look out for that when it's released 6 years from now.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 months ago

Lejes wrote:A CastChaos quest, wow. You picked a hell of a thing to get back into Zelda Classic with.

I'm entirely too fond of ZC, even though your assessment of it as archaic was completely right. The features are still almost entirely stock Zelda 1 stuff, so you have to use the engine's scripting language to do anything fancy like real NPCs. And even then it isn't half as powerful as, say, LunaLua. The code itself is also still using Allegro 4.x, I believe. There are still some really good quests, but the good ones are also really hard. Quests tend to be lengthier than just about anything else you've played on your channel (including Return of the Hylian). In the Lost Kingdom of the Banana Blood God (tougher, 4 dungeons, uses newer engine features extensively) and I Hate Mayonnaise 2 (easier, 5 dungeons, sticks mostly to Zelda 1 mechanics) are two common favorites that are relatively shorter than the standard 9 dungeon mold.

AZCT is looking pretty good, too, so look out for that when it's released 6 years from now.
LOOK I ASKED THE CHAT AND NO ONE WAS AROUND WHEN I NEEDED TO RECORD SO I PICKED ONE AT RANDOM THAT WAS SHORT AND LOOKED NEAT

The sprite art made it seem nice? Does this person have a reputation?

I may well be doing another Quest after this if it's so short that it cuts off during my Winter Break. So I'll definitely consider your suggestions!

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Re: Horikawa Plays ZELDA CLASSIC

Postby Willhart » 4 months ago

I don't think it can turn as bad as DK.

Return to “let's play”