(shouting)

Super Meat Boy - some day we'll meat again

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Super Meat Boy - Successful troubleshooting, accidental overshooting

Post by Crow »

really though can i just say
SCREW SKYSCRAPER. If it's not enough that you have to play 3 full-length levels back-to-back with 3 shots at each, you also have to replay the second level to get the bandage. And none of the levels are easy, they'd all make for a decent level in terms of world 5's light world alone. Basically you're playing a difficult level that's four times the length of a normal difficult level. Hell, the skyscraper levels are all somewhere in-between the normal level length and the World 6 level length too, so they're not even just full-length levels, but above and beyond that.

And the very end of the third level has such an annoying, awful jump, just because~

Way harder than clearing The Kid's warp zone, at least there you have infinite lives, and each level is just a short romp based mostly on one mechanic.

Though I haven't even unlocked the rapture dark world warp zone yet so I dunno how rough it is? Can't be as bad as Skyscraper though. Took me like an hour and a half just across my playtime this weekend and even then that wasn't in one play session 'cause I got too frustrated with it.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Octagon wrote:A rao-LP would make for many excellent moments, but lots of awful stumbling in between and immense amounts of chipmunk time/cut footage. True blind LPs of La-Mulana are suited to people who take a coordinated approach to every situation, constantly take notes and are also historians.
My first successful playthrough of the game only took me about 35 hours and I not only 100%ed the game but only looked up hints on like two or three specific occasions. And one of those was simply looking up help on obtaining the last health upgrade after beating the nearby miniboss which didn't help in the long run because my method was easier for me anyways.
spitznagl wrote:Isocitration's La-Mulana LP is excellent.
It's his best LP and the one that initially convinced me to subscribe to him.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

The Kid's Warpzone is the only level in any video game ever that made me cry because of the difficulty. I think I was burned out by it that I never even saw the Cotton Alley. Which is based on what I saw...cannot be described by words alone.

:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Burgers

Post by Burgers »

Is there any way we could get a recording that isn't super hyper letterboxed? I know it's a little thing, but it'd be neat to see the video fill the YouTubes box thingamajig.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Oddwrath wrote:

The Kid's Warpzone is the only level in any video game ever that made me cry because of the difficulty. I think I was burned out by it that I never even saw the Cotton Alley. Which is based on what I saw...cannot be described by words alone.

Cotton Alley is not actually that bad. There's a few tough levels but the levels stay short for the most part. Easier than Skyscraper or The Kid's warp zone, for sure.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Seeing as we're on the topic of areas of the game that totally blocked progress:
I never got past the first level of The Kid's warpzone; honestly, just having it be filled with spikes didn't really feel in spirit with a game that had far more interesting ways of killing you.

Never got past World 6, either; the very last stage in there singularly spoiled my entire experience with the game (which was pretty alright up to that point, seeing as I'd only got to about the middle of World 3's dark world stages and hadn't really bothered with very many of the warpzones). World 6 as a whole is just a bit of a buzzkill, really; it's mostly sawblades, after a game filled with various hazards; you can only play as meat boy, which makes all the time you've spent playing around with characters that aren't quite as finicky as him a waste; and all the stages are relatively long, to the point at which it simply stops being fun to play.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Pheonix wrote:Seeing as we're on the topic of areas of the game that totally blocked progress:
I never got past the first level of The Kid's warpzone; honestly, just having it be filled with spikes didn't really feel in spirit with a game that had far more interesting ways of killing you.
You haven't played the game that level was based on, I take it.

Because that was totally in spirit for that game.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Dark Hunter wrote:
Pheonix wrote:Seeing as we're on the topic of areas of the game that totally blocked progress:
You haven't played the game that level was based on, I take it.

Because that was totally in spirit for that game.
You're not wrong, but there's a reason one game doesn't translate well into the other.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Hey raocow, if you right click Super Meat Boy and click properties there'll be an option on the first tab labelled "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game". If you untick that it'll be disabled for only the one game so you can record without those pop-ups coming up.

Edit: Also you can disable specific types of pop-up notifications globally if you weren't aware and have any desire to. A weird amount of people seem to be totally unaware of that fact for some reason.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Jill is a girl! Better apologize or the gender identity brigade might give you a hard time.
ImageImage
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Super Meat Boy - Successful troubleshooting, accidental overshooting

Post by Sorel »

To be fair, a lot of the hard levels like The Kid's warpzone just require a large amount of trial and error. I for example wasted 1 hour on the first level of the warpzone, 30 minutes on the second one, and only 2 minutes on the last one. It's all about memorizing the patterns. I need to try Cotton Valley again...
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

spitznagl wrote:Jill is a girl! Better apologize or the gender identity brigade might give you a hard time.
Jill is a girl's name.

I guess it's not that common tho.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

dr_kraid wrote:Jill is a girl's name.
I didn't just guess her gender based on her name.
Wikipedia wrote:It stars a submissive lesbian named Jill who has a boot fetish. She is kicked to the bottom of her Queen's tower for acting like a "greedy slut".
ImageImage
Mata Hari

Re: Super Meat Boy - Would've expected a hospital to be more accomodating to skinless people

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm not saying you did, I'm surprised raocow got it wrong in the first place.
DullahanDodgeman
The Incompetent

Re: Super Meat Boy - Would've expected a hospital to be more accomodating to skinless people

Post by DullahanDodgeman »

I got decently far into Super Meat Boy. The last worlds I completed normally were normal World 6 and Dark World 3, and the only one I 100%'d was the Forest, save for the no-death achievements

and the glitch level, although I have it unlocked

. I'm just not too good at the game despite my progress saying otherwise.

Also, is anyone else excited for when he unlocks

Ogmo or Runman, considering how much he keeps mistaking retro Meatboy for Ogmo?

Is this the spot where I place my order for a large pizza?
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

Never got past World 6, either; the very last stage in there singularly spoiled my entire experience with the game (which was pretty alright up to that point, seeing as I'd only got to about the middle of World 3's dark world stages and hadn't really bothered with very many of the warpzones). World 6 as a whole is just a bit of a buzzkill, really; it's mostly sawblades, after a game filled with various hazards; you can only play as meat boy, which makes all the time you've spent playing around with characters that aren't quite as finicky as him a waste; and all the stages are relatively long, to the point at which it simply stops being fun to play.
It just seemed like the logical culmination of the whole game to me. They're kind of a pain, but good for building up tension and testing your abilities.

The wind mechanics are janky as usual. It gets better after some practice, but remains annoying in some dark world levels

and the "upgraded version" in world 5

raocow's reactions to the first castle back in ASMBXT and the level that spawned the lullaby were a big reason why I thought this would be a good game for an LP.

The "company" names are those of the warp zone title artists. Auntie Pixelante is also the one who made the Jill game.
Jill is a pretty good character, but attempts to abuse the air braking will give you carpal tunnel syndrome.

Edit: I looked up F-Zero characters and I literally thought there weren't any beyond the punchy guy (whom I insist to refer to as the Blue Surfer).
Last edited by Octagon 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Thinking about it, I don't know if Jill's name is actually in the video. I post before watching because actually thinking about stuff is for weenies
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Skyscraper

deserves the ire it gets for that one uniquely retarded jump that isn't required anywhere else in the game, never mind the bandage. It's the only point in the game where

letting go of the run button

is actually useful. Aside from those two things, though, I actually quite like the design of that area.

Kid's Warp Zone

is a hot mess though. It only took me 40 minutes, but still, it's not good, aside from maybe the third part that most people don't actually get to see.
Also, the Kid's Warp Zone can crash on the third level. How thematically appropriate.
Oh Man
Where is my water buffalo? Why don't I have a water buffalo?

Post by Oh Man »

Alice wrote:Hey raocow, if you right click Super Meat Boy and click properties there'll be an option on the first tab labelled "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game". If you untick that it'll be disabled for only the one game so you can record without those pop-ups coming up.

Edit: Also you can disable specific types of pop-up notifications globally if you weren't aware and have any desire to. A weird amount of people seem to be totally unaware of that fact for some reason.
Or he could just go Offline while recording.

Also, I like how the cutscenes and art make Jill out to be a creepy pervert who unnerves everyone around her by being overly open about her sexual proclivities at all times. Just like her creator!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

in french Gill (pronounced the same as 'Jill') is a man's name :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Who the heck is Jill? And its weird how Bandage girl fake out was Gomez from Fez. That game wasn't even out yet?

raocow, as a Patron, I request that you complete one level as the Head crab. I'm interested in what his win animation looks like.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Fort Knux

Post by Fort Knux »

I dunno if its necesary for 100% completion, but every world has an minus level, that randomly unlocks after beating any level from that world.
What happens is sometimes Bandage Girl glows yellow once every something, and when you reach her you get an minus stage, which is just an normal level like any other, except for the fact its wierd to unlock.
The only reliable way to get it is to constantly repeat the shortest and easiest level of the world until it pops, so i wouldn't blame raocow for not bothering
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I was watching today's episode and then I remembered I'm wearing the matching shirt
(not actually spoilers, just a big image:)
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

Fort Knux wrote:I dunno if its necesary for 100% completion, but every world has an minus level, that randomly unlocks after beating any level from that world.
What happens is sometimes Bandage Girl glows yellow once every something, and when you reach her you get an minus stage, which is just an normal level like any other, except for the fact its wierd to unlock.
The only reliable way to get it is to constantly repeat the shortest and easiest level of the world until it pops, so i wouldn't blame raocow for not bothering
The chance for that to happen depends on world completion (the displayed percentage - light+dark world including bandages, iirc), and they're hard, so going for missed minus levels is best done after completing the given world's dark side.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Oh Man
Where is my water buffalo? Why don't I have a water buffalo?

Post by Oh Man »

Sebby19 wrote:Who the heck is Jill? And its weird how Bandage girl fake out was Gomez from Fez. That game wasn't even out yet?
She's from a BDSM-themed platformer that was barely relevant when Meat Boy came out. Meat Boy (and arguably Retro City Rampage) is a weird time capsule of like, every indie thing that was kinda popular at the time.
raocow wrote:in french Gill (pronounced the same as 'Jill') is a man's name :(
I was unaware of this. And to be fair she's vaguely androgynous looking.