(shouting)

An Untitled Story-Rebelling by exploring like a penguin

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: An Untitled Story-Rebelling by exploring like a penguin

Post by raocow »

Carver wrote:Hey guys, just posting that I did a video of me playing guitar along with "11 - Lava Bingo" on the soundtrack. There's a few more songs on the soundtrack that I enjoy, so I may get around to doing a few more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aAngTgnc7E
Glad to see you still doing your thing, mate
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

Okay, Masterful so far has been painfully hard, but this is just downright UNFAIR.

There's these two savepoints in the final-ish area of the game that are separated by like 7 screens of death. Apparently Matt decided this was not HARDCORE enough for Masterful, because the second savepoint no longer exists. I'm up to 11 rooms of hard platforming and screwery with no savepoints and I have no idea how many are left. I await the cold embrace of death.
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Neat thing of the day: Shoot the projectiles that the FireCage boss shoots at you. It's nothing major and it won't help you win or anything, but it's a fun thing to try on the first form to keep it from being so boring.

You may notice some retcons to the list. Three. You can blame my total inability to pay attention to things, or you can pick a random scapegoat if you like. I blame the freakin' horse.

I also added some info to the list. That info is the episode number where each heart was added to the list. That'll make vague hints more useful down the road, since you can go back and rewatch the video. Of course, there's no guarantee that raocow walked through that area in that video - that's just the point where both the conditions "been there" and "can get it" first applied.

Counter:
Hearts: 16 (+2)
Upgrades: 3

Vague hints:
Hearts:
[2]You walked right past one
[3]You walked right past another one
[3]This is a bit of a cheat - you haven't been in this room, but look at the map
[3]Jump off the edges of screens to fill out your map, even just at the corners
[4]Right idea in hunting for secrets, wrong room
[4]"raocow, you big stupid jerk, I just jumped on plants all day long"
[5]Ducking has one more use
[5]Capitalism gets you three hearts.
[6]You almost found this just by playing around
[6]Sometimes you just need to walk right out into the abyss
[7]You must have seen this one and changed your mind at the last second
[7]And the other side, too!
[8]We've got a long way to go...
[8]And that entire way is down!

Upgrades:
[6]Sometimes you just need to walk right out into the abyss
[7]Time for a one-bird artillery strike!
[7]You must have seen this one and changed your mind at the last second

Rooms:
Hearts:
[2]The room above the rock boss
[3]The room in NightClimb with the cannons
[3]Go down FarFall again while holding left
[3]Above and to the left of the big statue in NightWalk
[4]The heart gate room in StoneCastle
[4]To the left of the big statue in NightWalk
[5]The room where you got the power to duck
[5]In your house
[6]The room with the five balloons in FarFall
[6]The room with the first gold orb
[7]First save point in FireCage
[7]First save point in FireCage again!
[8]Far left room of SkyTown
[8]Below the spike pit in FarFall

Upgrades:
[6]The room with the first gold orb
[7]One room right, two rooms above the FireCage save point
[7]First save point in FireCage
Last edited by GauRocks 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

Just out of curiousity, is the anuntitledstory soundtrack available anywhere any more? I remember it used to be bundled with a purchasing of the full version but it's free now. I want to... *cough cough* make stepmania charts out of some of them <.< they'd be straightforward but would make nice easy spread or easy solo charts
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

Does anyone have the old boss theme? It's not in the soundtrack, sadly. An old demo of the game that still had the old boss theme would be good too.

EDIT: 1.16 is out by the way.
Time Traveler

Post by Time Traveler »

That big room with the save point where you were trying to get the heart wasn't actually the room people were talking about earlier. There's another room somewhere else in Firecage, which you actually can get past with your current abilities.
Kiniko

Post by Kiniko »

Don't be afraid of the underwater area, raocow. They're never as hard as you think they're going to be.
Rubius

Post by Rubius »

Damn Nature, your chicken are awesomely naturally cute in this game.
I really Baw everytime he move or jump.
White shape with 2 dot and The Power Of Imagination!
Its like, the same cuteness than the Peas in Cave Story.
They just like, walking right and left, Like It was no thing. Just Cute as hell.
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Today wan't exactly super progress land, but you knocked a bunch of stuff off the list and demoed MountSide, so now I can finally talk about all the changes.

Here's the first room in...
1.00: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7853 ... ntside.png
1.14: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7696 ... ntside.png
1.15: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/820/ ... ntside.png
This is the room that got a radical makeover, and I was complaining about the perfect jump required in 1.14. 1.15 did a nice job smoothing that out. And the room is a much safer introduction to the arrows than 1.00. 1.15 is my new favorite here.

Room two barely changed. Some platforms got added in on the two lower difficulties. In case you hadn't seen them and were curious:
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/796/ ... tside2.png
No real complaint, since as we saw, they're not there on every difficulty.

Here's room 3. I'm going to point out right now that the 1.00 and 1.15 shots of these were taken on Masterful, just to prove that this applies on every difficulty. 1.14 here is just pointing out the new newbie-friendly platforms on the two lowest difficulties.
1.00: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8246/mountside3.png
1.14: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7856 ... tside3.png
1.15: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6004 ... tside3.png
Hmm. I can see why he did it, but still, I don't think this change should apply to every difficulty. Maybe make that the difference between Difficult and Masterful, since this is the hardest room by far.

And in case room 3 wasn't enough of a kick in the pants to everyone who did it the old way, check out room 4 in 1.15. Again, the 1.14 shot is just demoing some new platforms, but these are only there on Simple. Most of you probably haven't seen them.
1.00: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2388/mountside4.png
1.14: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9107 ... tside4.png
1.15: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5157 ... tside4.png
This one is just dumb. The room is already forgiving - you're basically only going to fall if the arrow is pointing straight down when you hit it, and you can easily avoid that much just by saving your double jump until it's not going to launch you into the pit. I'm not going to complain about making it easier on Simple, but why in the heck would you dumb down Masterful like that?

Oh, right. No list update today, because raocow just found things. Nothing new to add on. Which was nice for me, because it gave me a chance to catch up to yesterday on my Masterful file. And yes, I opened the second FireCage heart gate with the powers raocow currently has. I was kind of wondering if it was even possible for a while, but it's not even that bad once you get used to it.
Last edited by GauRocks 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Belfry

Post by Belfry »

Good luck with the water land!

It gave me a lot of trouble for a while, but I'd come up with a brilliant idea: imagine the Sonic drowning music. It's a GREAT motivator.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

If a chicken drowns in water, and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Man, people are really conditioned to hate and/or fear water levels. I really liked this one, personally. The underwater controls are nice, the platforming isn't nearly as tough as FireCage, and just when you start to think "gee, this place has gone on a bit long," it's over. In my book, it's a good example of a water level done right.

Actually, the only area of this game that I don't like is... well, we'll get there eventually and I'll grumble about it then. That'll be a while yet
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

GauRocks wrote: Actually, the only area of this game that I don't like is... well, we'll get there eventually and I'll grumble about it then. That'll be a while yet
as of now, the area i dislike is the final area. vague and simple explanation. its even more torturous for masterful players
Ziv

Post by Ziv »

Man this game has some obscure secrets. I was just walking around and I accidentally dive-bomb and BAM! I find a secret area! It's crazy! How are you supposed to find that without just blind luck?
Getting killed is what reminds us that we're alive.

...accept truth for what it is: a convenient piece of paper.

Pooper feeple rabblesnack!

I wanna get high...
-raocow
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

Ziv wrote:Man this game has some obscure secrets. I was just walking around and I accidentally dive-bomb and BAM! I find a secret area! It's crazy! How are you supposed to find that without just blind luck?
yea, i was just running around and dive bombed randomly. then suddenly something exploded, it completely freaked me out.
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

You know, nobody explained Toughness yet, and judging from raocow's "jump into the spike bat" thing, it could probably use explaining.

It's damage reduction. Of course, on higher difficulties, you don't notice that as much, but everything does ten less damage now. You are now a buff dude who shrugs off the insignificant attacks of... well, snails.

If you were on any lower difficulty, it would be pretty rad. As it is, there are probably only a handful of times where it'll even matter. There's not much difference between 140 and 150. Still, it's better than not having it!
Time Traveler

Post by Time Traveler »

Yeah, toughness decreases all damage you take by a fixed number of 10. Since higher difficulties increase the damage you take without increasing the defense bonus you get, toughness becomes more useless as you turn up the difficulty. Still better than a heart, though.
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

Oh, it's a fixed amount of damage reduction? I always thought it was percentual but changed percents depending on the difficulty. I just learned something!
Lutukor

Post by Lutukor »

I've only played through this on Normal, so I don't really know how frustrating levels like Ice Castle and Black Castle can be on difficult/masterful.

Mathematically, you may gain one more hit, say like, you had 700 hp and spikes normally did 100 damage, with toughness they do 90. 100x7 = 700, but 90x7 = 630, so you have one more hit. Definitely better than one or even several hearts. Which is really good, because as we've already seen in raocow's videos, this game can get very danmaku at times.
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

Ziv wrote:Man this game has some obscure secrets. I was just walking around and I accidentally dive-bomb and BAM! I find a secret area! It's crazy! How are you supposed to find that without just blind luck?
Do you mean UnderTomb? If so, pffft. There's a very obvious hint in The Library that says the king was buried under the most beautiful beach in the land. You can then just divebomb that entire area until you find it.

If you mean some other, random, small divebomb area that just contains a heart or something, like in The Curtain, then still pffft because there's always some sort of hint to it in the graphics.

That was a lot of spoilers.
Frogjumper01

Post by Frogjumper01 »

raocow misses a lot of stuff. But he usually finds things that are very obvious or are really well hidden. I guess I'm paying a lot of attention to the backrounds than the real game. ;)
Frogs will rule!!! (The world that is.)
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

Wow. I never knew about the Bonus, I never knew about the Heart in FireCage's save point, and I never knew about the underwater-breath upgrade! Wow, today's video has been just revelation o'clock for me, good lord.

raocow seemed pretty bent out of shape in this video. Kind of worried. I know how he feels though.
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
valerie2776

Post by valerie2776 »

Waaaaah D:

I've spent a good hour on the underwater parts, had no idea about the freakin air bubble hole spout things.
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

Jesus Christ, raocow. How do you manage to miss the air bubbles for so long, fail to figure out ice shots for so long and fail to see the chest fading in at the western shipwreck despite being like 50 pixels away from it?