(shouting)

A Super Mario Tabletop Thing - Now with Easy Watch Order

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: A Super Mario Tabletop Thing

Post by Hoeloe »

Shinoda wrote: The downside of 3.5 and OWoD (VTM in particular) is that the rules and setting aren't very malleable... It would be difficult to make, say, a Mario themed game out of them unless we agree to make some modifications and ignore a few things to make it possible. The OWoD system for example, would work well if shave off things like powers and such and stick with basic character sheet.
I'd be willing to GM after I've played a session or two of a game using the Fate system (or something similar). I don't know when I'll be able to do that, though...

A Fate based system is probably the best thing to use, since it was designed to be extremely flexible.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Hoeloe wrote: I'd be willing to GM after I've played a session or two of a game using the Fate system (or something similar). I don't know when I'll be able to do that, though...
I'll watch a few videos of people playing it on the YouTubes and try to get a grasp of it.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Post by Duvi0 »

I've been told that I'm a pretty damn good GM, even though I'm not super confident about that. It's something I super super enjoy.
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Been checking out that FATE thing... Interesting idea that players have a lot more input on what happens than in other games.
ImageImageImage
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Shinoda wrote:Been checking out that FATE thing... Interesting idea that players have a lot more input on what happens than in other games.
Yeah, it's a neat idea, and I think that's why Let's Cortex uses a similar system. It's a great system for reducing number crunching and increasing the amount of player interaction with the world.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Hoeloe wrote: Yeah, it's a neat idea, and I think that's why Let's Cortex uses a similar system. It's a great system for reducing number crunching and increasing the amount of player interaction with the world.
Yeah, but "A flock of Albatoss" isn't something that seems to be possible. Since your character needs an excuse for it.
ImageImageImage
Kellins

Post by Kellins »

Shinoda wrote:
Hoeloe wrote: Yeah, it's a neat idea, and I think that's why Let's Cortex uses a similar system. It's a great system for reducing number crunching and increasing the amount of player interaction with the world.
Yeah, but "A flock of Albatoss" isn't something that seems to be possible. Since your character needs an excuse for it.
What, so just because they're albatos, you expect them to walk the streets like everyone else? Racist =P
ImageThe Legwork Case comic series
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Kellins wrote: What, so just because they're albatos, you expect them to walk the streets like everyone else? Racist =P

.... I don't get it?
ImageImageImage
Kellins

Post by Kellins »

Shinoda wrote:
Kellins wrote: What, so just because they're albatos, you expect them to walk the streets like everyone else? Racist =P

.... I don't get it?
Well, you have to think. During the day and night, there are always people walking or driving on the streets, even if the GM doesn't mention it. And the flying type characters would normally pick flying over walking any time. I could see some of the grounded species making a fuss about the flying species being able to fly, getting better jobs (likes being to on time due to easier sky trafficing) And the grounded would want them to not fly the skies anymore.
There are a bit of varity of flying species to travel the skies just as people taking the sidewalks.

But that's just how I overthink things...

On the other note, I feel like I could possibly be a GM since I'm used to making up stories on the spot as well as making interactive adventures in general since it was how I had made my comics years ago. I'm not sure I could use the Fate system (did a quick scanning of the booklet). My problem on GMing though would be that I can't voice my stories that well, but typing them out feels more like cakewalk for me, and my social phobia would be tested if in a call with multiple people. Strangers makes it even harder.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

If we could get at least 3 people (minus me) I could give it a shot. I'm a noob with the system but I think I get the basic idea. It would be a learning experience for everybody involved.
ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

unrelateledly, just a head's up that there won't be an episode today due to dito not being able to edit it because of a family thing
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Horikawa Otane wrote:If people are interested in doing their own campaigns, the only major tip I can give a DM is to pick a consistent style that works with your team.
These are some good tips!

While I've never GMd before, I have run LARPs, which are similar in a lot of ways, and I have to work with character development and such for my job, so I hope I'm pretty familiar with that.

I have to say that I tend to prefer some structure from a GM, but the most fun comes from characters doing their own thing and reacting to situations and each other (much like Let's Cortex). I find that less structure runs the risk of people feeling there's nothing to do, and a guideline plot to fall back on is often useful, but I personally find player shenanigans to be the best kind of play.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I wonder how our group would fair in a 'structured' campaing, honestly, given some of the really stupid ideas we have sometimes (thinking of the latest session we recorded here)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Post by cats-on-ice »

raocow wrote:I wonder how our group would fair in a 'structured' campaing, honestly, given some of the really stupid ideas we have sometimes (thinking of the latest session we recorded here)
rezcow takes a bite out of his slain prize
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

raocow wrote:I wonder how our group would fair in a 'structured' campaing, honestly, given some of the really stupid ideas we have sometimes (thinking of the latest session we recorded here)
I've seen some pretty terrible ideas go incredibly well in tabletops and LARPs before, even with some structure. You really just need a good GM who can roll with it when it happens.

A particular example happened to me in a LARP once, which had a very structured session, and had half the plan rewritten on the fly because, rather than do anything sensible to stop an invading fleet, the player party decided to set fire to a boat and crash it into said fleet.

A plan can be a good thing, but the best GMs are never afraid to rewrite it when appropriate, in my experience.
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Hoeloe wrote:A particular example happened to me in a LARP once, which had a very structured session, and had half the plan rewritten on the fly because, rather than do anything sensible to stop an invading fleet, the player party decided to set fire to a boat and crash it into said fleet.
Sounds exactly like what Team 404 would do.

I also wanted to mention that I'm in complete awe over Horikawa and your writing such a long, well thought out, well-structered post just out of the goodness of your heart in order to help people. I don't know. I just think that sort of thing doesn't get enough recognition generally.
Hope this isn't weird. Sorry if it is.

You're awesome.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Piter_Lauchy wrote: Sounds exactly like what Team 404 would do.
Hey, it worked. The invading fleet was made of wood.
Piter_Lauchy wrote:

I also wanted to mention that I'm in complete awe over Horikawa and your writing such a long, well thought out, well-structered post just out of the goodness of your heart in order to help people. I don't know. I just think that sort of thing doesn't get enough recognition generally.
Hope this isn't weird. Sorry if it is.

We know from MAGLX2 that Horikawa does way more work than perhaps she should. She's an awesome person.

On a somewhat related note, I'm getting pretty tempted to try GMing a game of something anyway. It seems like something I'd have fun doing. Definitely won't be able to for another week or so at least, though.
Kellins

Post by Kellins »

The tips are useful. and honestly, I think the freedom of the players is important than a beeline to the finish. I mean, yeah, having structure is important, but it is more fun having multiple pathways, a split group and a feeling of "anything's possible" in a campaign. It also helps with good storytelling and getting everyone into character.
This adventure is what got me interested and step out and I really do think the group is doing a fantastic job on the story. I'm just glad you five have started doing this and that you are all having fun. that's what is most important.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Hoeloe wrote:I'm getting pretty tempted to try GMing a game of something anyway. It seems like something I'd have fun doing. Definitely won't be able to for another week or so at least, though.
Add me on the skypes if you're serious about it. Shinodadude
ImageImageImage
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Shinoda wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:I'm getting pretty tempted to try GMing a game of something anyway. It seems like something I'd have fun doing. Definitely won't be able to for another week or so at least, though.
As I say, I can't really do anything for at least another week, and I want to read up on the system and potential settings first, but once I'm available I can totally do that.
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

This thread has made me think of a character, and it won't leave my head until I've written it down, so here it is:
Name: William Crackmore
Species: Wiggler

William is called Willy by his Family, and Crack by his friends. One ex called him Craggles; the relationship didn't last very long.
His parents are pretty wealthy, but not super rich. Think upper middle-class. When he was growing up, they didn't have much time for him, but he's smart and figured most things out by himself. Except one thing: He has serious anger issues. [A Wiggler with anger issues isn't creative, but the character started with this thought process: 'I wonder how the behaviour of a Wiggler in SMW would translate to an RPG.'] The tinyest provocation will have him flip the fuck out. However, he never gets physical. First, he's a shitty fighter and second (this his probably his biggest flaw), he isn't aware of his anger. Every time everyone around him sees and hears William screaming into someone's face, in his head he just has this calm and rational discussion with this nice fellow who just made an inappropriate comment. Or looked at him wrong. Or wears the wrong shoes.
Of course, a lot of people have tried to make him see it, but all they get is him getting angry as hell and denying everything. ('I DON'T HAVE ANGER ISSUES! WHEN WILL YOU GOD DAMN IDIOTS LEARN THAT?!' in reality vs. 'Oh no, my friend. I rarely get angry, and only when it's appropriate. New friends often make that mistake and I have no idea why. Just ask someone who knows me well and they'll tell you I'm the calmest dude around. It's really nice of you to worry, though. Thanks, buddy!' in his head.) They quickly learn to adapt, and he's a really great person when he's not currently in a rage fit. That's why most people at least try to make the effort of having him around.

So his defining character traits are this: His rage, obviously, but other than that he's smart, and a good talker. He's also good at sneaking around, and generally not being suspicious. Other than that, he has no sense of humour when it comes to words. All he laughs about is slapstick. Something like this: https://youtu.be/s_tf5mQJneA
His overarching motivation can be summed up to: He just wants everyone to, like, get along, you know? He's convinced that talking in a calm and rational manner can solve anything. His experiences have never contradicted that, after all.
Three short-term motivations:
1. Being financially independent. He can't hold any job for long, for obvious reasons, and has to rely on his parents now and then. They don't mind. Everything for their little Willy-Nilly.
2. Learning to fight. Somehow, his reasonable manner makes some people violent, and he wants to defend himself.
3. Having a stable relationship that eventually leads to kids. Not much to add here, except that he's bisexual.

His contacts:
1. His parents: As implied earlier, they don't have a deep relationship with Willy, but they do love him. They help him out whenever he asks, but mostly stay out of his life. They feel that he should have the control over how much contact they have. He calls at least once a week to talk about riveting matters such as a blocked drain or those damn Monty Moles ruining his father's garden. (Regarding the parents' species: Is it canon that Wigglers evolve into Flutters at some point, or are they different species?)
2. His best friend Chuck: A Shy-Guy who's annoyed that everyone expects a football player when they hear his name. Chuck is the only one who can say anything to William without making him mad. No one knows how he does it, not even himself. They know each other since childhood, went to school together and all that stuff. Chuck is a bodybuilder [the mental picture of a muscular Shy-Guy is hilarious, if you ask me] and works as a personal coach in a fitness studio.
3. His "career agent" Miranda: Willy asked his parents once if they could maybe use their connections to get him a job. They took it a step further and hired a career agent for him. Miranda is a Thwimp. After one meeting she knew that Willy is pretty much an impossible client and told him that as softly as she could. To keep the illusion for his parents, they still meet from time to time for a coffee, and they've become good friends (in fact, Miranda has a crush on William).

So, that's his basic character. His motivations are pretty boring, but the specifics depend on the campaign anyway, no? Is it even possible to make a character without a campaign? My whole experience with RPGs is from Let's Cortex, so I have no idea how this works.
I'd love to get into the whole thing more, but I have only one friend who'd be interested. Maybe I'll find people here. *wink wink nudge nudge*
You're awesome.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Hoeloe wrote:
Shinoda wrote:
As I say, I can't really do anything for at least another week, and I want to read up on the system and potential settings first, but once I'm available I can totally do that.
So, I'm having a read through the Fate rulebook (it's been a while since I have). I have a couple of things I would do differently with respect to character creation, but I'm thinking of setting up a new thread somewhere to get interested parties involved.

I still won't be able to GM for at least a week, and likely only on Saturdays, but I figured it might be good to get a group together before hand.

I'm also considering broadcasting the sessions similar to the way Let's Cortex has been, but that's something to discuss with players.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Hoeloe wrote:I'm thinking of setting up a new thread somewhere to get interested parties involved.
Make sure to put a link to that thread in this one. So people can find it.
Hoeloe wrote:I'm also considering broadcasting the sessions similar to the way Let's Cortex has been, but that's something to discuss with players.
I'd be fine with that... and Twitch has D&D in it's list of games. Could shve it in there if you wanna make it live.
ImageImageImage
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Shinoda wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:I'm thinking of setting up a new thread somewhere to get interested parties involved.
Make sure to put a link to that thread in this one. So people can find it.
Hoeloe wrote:I'm also considering broadcasting the sessions similar to the way Let's Cortex has been, but that's something to discuss with players.
I'd be fine with that... and Twitch has D&D in it's list of games. Could shve it in there if you wanna make it live.
I put up a thread in the gazebo: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15856

If anyone is interested, note it down there.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Now to make the thread get back on topic...

What does everyone think of Boolina? Are we gonna see her again?
Helicopter jumping. Good idea or bad idea?
Birdpoints. Save them or use them?
Where is Cats?
Did Ukelele boy change his career plan to go from street musician to police officer?
What would he think of Rezcow now if he knew all that happened?

Edit: WHY THE HELL IS MY 2 MINUTE MSPAINT "FANART" IN THE OP?! Is there no quality standard?! Hahaha
ImageImageImage