(shouting)

A Super Mario Tabletop Thing - Now with Easy Watch Order

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Super Mario Tabletop Thing

Post by raocow »

if it's any comfort, sturg IS trying to edit the backlog! yesterday he told the group that he gave it an honest effort but his laptop isn't able to handle the files in audacity without crashing. however the good news is that he'll have access to a more powerful setup soon.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

raocow wrote:if it's any comfort, sturg IS trying to edit the backlog! yesterday he told the group that he gave it an honest effort but his laptop isn't able to handle the files in audacity without crashing. however the good news is that he'll have access to a more powerful setup soon.
That's good, at least. But it saddens me to hear that after a certain point you guys stopped recording entirely, that there are parts we'll never be able to hear, if there are whole sessions you guys didn't record. Hearing summaries isn't the same; part of why I liked the series in the first place was being able to hear you guys' spontaneous reactions and initial thoughts about plot developments. I felt like we found out about the crazy twists at the same time you guys did (even though I know these were pre-recorded), as opposed to reading a summary of key events after the fact.

This may seem a bit unfair of me, since I know you all are busy people, and I have no idea what your schedules are like, or what resources it takes to actually record the whole sessions, but when you found out someone couldn't record/edit the videos, would it not have been possible to at least have someone record the sessions and save them for editing at a later date? So that you'd at least have the option of editing them and posting them later, if there was demand? Out of 5 people, only one was able to record, with no backup plan if that person couldn't? Again, I apologize if I'm coming across as rude with that statement; that is not my intent. I am merely curious.

Also, regarding communication of the issue, as I said earlier, something more upfront, like an announcement on your channel that something was up would have been greatly appreciated, instead of having to find out this way; in a sense, I feel a little betrayed. You could have told us if you guys needed to take a break to get this whole thing sorted out. If you felt like it wasn't worth recording and posting the videos, you could have asked everyone's opinion, seen how interested people were in whether you continued the series publicly or not. I know I would have been willing to wait, even if it did take a while. But instead of asking, you guys quietly try to make us forget about it.

I'm aware this was mainly supposed to be something fun for you to do among friends, so you posting it in the first place is really just a bonus for us, and I'm also aware that this is content we're not even paying for, so it's at your discretion what videos you post and stuff, but...I dunno, once you started posting it as a series on youtube, and people got invested in it, you at least owe it to us to tell us you're gonna stop it. Imagine if over 100 videos in you suddenly stopped posting Distorted Travesty videos, and didn't even tell anyone that you were going to discontinue it, let alone the reason why.

I dunno, maybe I've rambled on too long, but I just wanted to get all that off my chest. That was one of my favorite series on your channel, and I'm sad to not only see it discontinued, but also how poorly the communication was handled. I'm not mad or anything, I'm just deeply disappointed.
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

for the record it wasn't my intention to make y'all 'forget it existed', I just removed the sticky nature because there was no update and no post in several months. My plan was to resticky it if we could have some momemtum going again, but it just didn't happen, or at least not yet. I personally appologise that I.. never really said anything about this, but the length of the periods without updates where much greater than I expected.

As for not recording anymore, there are two reasons to this. For one, we have enough backlog for like more than a year of weekly updates. Like we spend a LOT of time past the boat trip before we clear our mission. And at some point, like, it's just that 'what is in the show' and 'what we are actually doing' is so fragmented that it basically doesn't make sense anymore. Early one, it was really fun to like, tease things out ahead of time but like now we'd be teasing something that happens in like 2 years and it's like, what. Basically the disconnect is just... too big. At least that's the way I saw it.

A second reason is, quite simply, that after dito officially left he got replaced by two players, and one of them is not comfortable with being recorded and being put on the internet.

Like I know it sucks, and I'm sorry that I never really explained any of this, but this is basically the current situation. Had I known that we'd be monthes without activity I'd have definitely made a more official announcement but I didn't expect the situation to degenerate to this level. It's not somethign I could have predicted with what I knew at the time.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
itsthewhinyguys
Your flair is displayed next to your posts, under your name.
First name: Your real name

Post by itsthewhinyguys »

I concur with everything LovelyPenguin said on this. Given the current explanation, I understand, and although I'm sad we won't get anything past a certain point, I still eagerly await the content that does come, whenever it does.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

All right, I understand. Thank you for clearing some of that stuff up. I'm still sad, of course, but I will try to enjoy what's left of the series, when it's posted.

Also, I really do want to thank you guys for what you have done. I have greatly enjoyed listening to this campaign, and through it I found a couple of new LPers I now enjoy in addition to you (Horikawa and Sturg). You guys all keep on bein' awesome. :)
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

HEY GUYS.

We're gonna be streaming a LIVE session in about 10 minutes!!!!!!!

I know this is last minute but come on down!!!

https://www.twitch.tv/horikawaotane
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Horikawa asked for this, so...

Banged this out in about 10 minutes.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Neat. This is a really great idea.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Attention, it would seem we're going to be streaming Cortex in like 5 minutes ish, get in here!

www.twitch.tv/horikawaotane
Sturg

Post by Sturg »

Hey so we'll be streaming another session in about 5-10 minutes.

Also it's going to be a HEIST session so it'll be fun!

ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I'm finally getting caught up on this series listening to episodes while I'm working (I'm currently at the start of the second season, where Caesar gets shot/dumped out of a helicopter by Big Boo Jones/Johnson), and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. Anyway, I was reading through the thread up to the parts I've watched, and this paragraph jumped out as basically Rezcow in a nutshell:
Horikawa Otane wrote:And remember when writing this, NO ONE thinks they're the villain. Their "Action" should never be to "be crazy" or "hurt others" or whatever. Even Hitler thought he was saving the world - if you want to make really interesting villains, you gotta make the central conflict between their own method of saving the world and your own. This hasn't come up too much in Cortex... Yet... But you can start to see some of it. Even in a less serious, joke campaign, these things are important because they engage the player's mind beyond 'this guy is bad, we must kill.' If your campaign isn't serious, it's important for making people memorable rather than generic villains.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Yuuus! I just discovered the highlights when browsing through the peeps I follow on twitch!

Since you do it live and all, is there a schedule you guys play or should I just check twitch notifications for those?
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Shinoda wrote:Yuuus! I just discovered the highlights when browsing through the peeps I follow on twitch!

Since you do it live and all, is there a schedule you guys play or should I just check twitch notifications for those?
Every Sunday arouuuuuuund 7pm-9pmish est?
Gotta listen to all of it all day to be there tonight then. Thanks!
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Sturg

Post by Sturg »

We Be Streamin' Again HEIST PART 2

ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Part 3 might be a tough one.
xface20

Post by xface20 »

Horikawa Otane wrote: This appeared in my twitter feed last week. Long time viewers of Cortex will appreciate.
Here's a sub-par quality gif that spins because I'm bad at gifs and photoshop hates me. But hey, it spins!

To answer a question from last stream, the car image is just a googled photo I threw into Illustrator and live-traced so I could scale it as a vector. I asked myself, "What's the most iconic 1980s American muscle car? Totally Burt Reynold's car from Cannonball Run".

So I did that.
ay.kay.ay. "ChibiDuo"
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I don't think you linked the image properly mate, nothing's showing?
xface20

Post by xface20 »

Huh.. That's weird. I can see it on my end.

Here's a link to the imgur post: http://imgur.com/a/M6h9P
ay.kay.ay. "ChibiDuo"
xface20

Post by xface20 »

Inspiration struck and I made more art. This one's a "what-if" where Rezcow bores the hands to death while he's stuck in the floor.
ay.kay.ay. "ChibiDuo"
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Everyone needs to live a life of Heck yeah!
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Heck yeah! is the answer to everything.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Cortex seems to be on a small break.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Figured I should put some stuff here for anyone who's interested, some details of what happened in the first three sessions I was in before streaming started, and what happened in the session between Session 1 and Session 2 on Horikawa's twitch channel.

Also have some crappy drawings I did of my character.

My first three sessions
---Session 1---

The characters are in the middle of staging a breakout at an underground labour camp prison, new characters include a stereotypical pirate called 'Captain Jimmy' who won't shut up about dubloons, Hanna the Fawriel and McKayla the Goomba.

Van just so happens to be in the same wing of the prison, we manage to open the doors and start rallying people but the session ends with the place being put on lockdown and everyone desparing as apparently when this happens they just keep the lockdown in effect until everyone starves to death.

---Session 2---

We find Hanna's parents outside some kind of torture room, they seem really weird and disoriented, Hanna gives them a diary detailing a job against the ASMT bank, they say only Van and Hanna can go as they are 'alive', referring to rezcow and jakeyboy as dead for some reason.

Parents jump on us and teleport us to a creepy room with an altar, they tell us to join them and after we refuse Van nearly gets killed and Hanna gets knocked unconcious trying to protect him (as they don't attack her, only gang up on Van), the details of what happens after that are unknown, as when Rezcow and Jakeyboy finally break into the room, Van materialises from the altar with no memory of the events.

We use the altar to get to the surface (by somehow using its energies to power the freight elevator) of the prison and are greeted by scores of dead bodies. At this point we're in several groups of mainly prisoners led by one or two named NPCs and characters.

Eventually dimensional popping happens and Hanna's parents appear, along with nasty demon creatures. (hundreds at that)

---Session 3---

We fight Hanna's parents, Van gets illusioned to see people as demons and fires blindly into the crowd, managing to take one out (He asks everyone who isn't a demon to raise their hand, several demons and Hanna's parents raise their hands... ).

Jakeyboy taunts the father to make the stonemind appear after an invitation to join, the father 'eats' himself (or rather his stonemind-y energies implode him). The mother gets absorbed into the giant blob monster while chanting to summon stonemind.

Rezcow goes to get prison trucks to run over the blob monster, the prisoners manage to overthrow most of the little demons. Boolina is over in the carpark and offers to help us escape after saying we screwed up royally. She drives off with rezcow.

Jakeyboy gets picked up by the blob, he shoots the mother in the head point blank and blows her head off. The prisoners swarm the blob to wrench Jakeyboy free, most of them dying in the attack. Jakeyboy finsihes him off with an ice bullet.

We eventually mop up the remaining demons, and end up at a bar to hideout. Rezcow comes back and tells us there's no vaults in the bank, and there's an obelisk that links the stonemind to the realm he wants to destroy.

McKayla uses her contacts to find out that we can get into the bank if we desposit something into it of value.

Session highlight : Boshi (Yoshi NPC with us) keeps showing up and shouts "Not in my house" a lot before attacking, though he makes a habit of accidently mowing down our own guys.

Admittedly not my best summaries, blame me being a newbie at that point :P
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

upbeat tune

The stone, it called to me
(and now I see the things the stone has shown to me)
A rock that spoke a word
(an animated mineral, it can be heard)
And though I once preferred a human being's company
They pale before the monolith that towers over me

And now it is your turn
(your turn to hear the stone and then your turn to burn)
The stone, it calls to you
(you can't refuse to do the things it tells you to)
And as the screaming fire engine siren fills the air
The evidence will vanish from your charred and smoking chair
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Trust the stonemind to get its own themetune before any of the characters. :P

Right so we had a session last week, it started pretty late and kinda sudden so it wasn't streamed, it takes place after Stream 5B.

Adele comes to meet with us, she says she's been questioning McKayla's toasterbot friend (the one from the SWAT team, not the one she had a date with). She wants McKayla to take him up on his offer to go to King Charle's ball since he has tickets, with the intention to assassinate him, she says they left certain doors open so he could escape.

Rezcow gets a letter about the exchange to get his kidnapped friend back, though Adele tells us the dance is in a mere 12 hours, so it'll have to wait for now.

McKayla goes to meet the SWAT toasterbot, she dresses up, though nowhere near as elegant as before (just a skirt and a buttoned blouse... in maroon). The toasterbot is flustered when they meet, saying he's had the worst day and that he was 'bravely fighting for his country' while he was captured, which he quickly corrects to being undercover to save face.

He gives McKayla some useless information about where he was being kept (a dark room with a chair, table and chains), and tells of his heroic escape of finding a trap door to the sewers.

McKayla feints happiness at him escaping and tells him she'll take his offer for the date, though she embarrassingly doesn't actually know his name.

He introduces himself as 'Captain Biff Buffington', Captain of the ASMT police force. (McKayla tries to compliment him by saying he certainly is 'captainly' material, he agrees)

They head off to King Charles' Castle, passing through multiple guarded checkpoints, they come to an area with eight doors and behind the first one is a large ballroom. (McKayla clings to him on the way, filling him with more compliments such as "hoping his impressiveness rubs off on her", that particular one excites him)

Inside the ballroom are a myriad of races, not just ASMT residents but sphinxes, chucks, goombas to name a few. There's a group in the corner around someone, quite possibly Charles himself.

Caesar's sister is at the party, McKayla has a brief chat with her about the party, clearly showing she's never been to something this high-class before, she bids her leave saying she has matters of state to attend to, and she goes to join the crowd around King Charles.

McKayla and Biff Buffington dance a waltz together, during which she tries to look around to see anything useful, she doesn't get much but she has the feeling everyone at the party is 'really' happy, but trying to hide why.

McKayla endulges in some drinks and excuses herself to the toilets, which are large and very impressive, complete with mini-spa and a bathroom attendant, she tries to see if there's a way to get us in through there but the windows are far too small.

McKayla looks around the other hallways, on approaching the kitchen she is guarded away by a guard.

McKayla goes back to the toilets and does some semi-convincing fake vomiting while contacting the others via a communicator attached to her outfit, we're all waiting in a car about 20 minutes away from the castle, we discuss how we're going to get in and come to the conclusion that we'll dress as deliverymen and deliver something. (something big enough to transport Rezcow in a box.)

McKayla returns to her date and shares her idea to liven up the party by bringing in an arcade machine, she asks if that would be possible, he says we'd probably need King Charles' permission for that and that he's reluctant to approach him, he's clearly frightened of the guy and says he 'pops heads for sport'.

McKayla tries to convince him to go talk to the King anyway, it looks like he's approaching him... and then he ducks behind pillars and makes his way to the toilets. Annoyed, McKayla decides to go to the King's group herself.

He's surrounded by mostly extremely rich looking people, they scoff at McKayla's dress almost immediately saying that maroon is totally last season, she retorts saying that she's wearing it ironically to look like a commoner, they believe that and hit it off.

When asked who she is she makes up that she's the daughter of a rich import/export buisness owner, the rich woman makes her own assumptions and determines she's the daughter of 'Steve Lei', McKayla just agrees.

She approaches the King and tells him it would be fun to prank the party by including an arcade machine, King Charles says that arcade machine are contraband and have been banned for some time, McKayla says that would just enhance the joke, and that her father has one (that earlier today was confiscated).

He laughs at the suggestion and says it's a fine idea to shake the party up, he has one of his assistants take her to the library to use the phone to arrange it.

In the library McKayla pretends to call her dad while talking to the rest of the team on her hidden communicatorThe car group start to discuss possible plans when inside the castle, Rezcow wants to be in the arcade machine box and jump out at Charles and kill him then and there, he asks Jakeyboy as his long-time friend what he thinks and he's fairly reluctant that the plan is good, he then asks for Van's opinion since he's the new guy, he replies that Rezcow should do whatever feels right to him.

Jakeyboy : What the heck Van? Stop being his not-friend!

Van questions Adele about the plan, asking her why if this is her master plan to take down the head of the stonemind, that it's just being entrusted to our small group, without proper backup. She says she can probably spare some people, but is hestitant.

We eventually come to the conclusion we'll have Jakeyboy go in, borrowing the invisibility cloak and using his own time-stop device to take out charles, we'll have a sleeping gas bomb in the crate to try and knock out everyone, giving us time to possibly locate the obelisk (which she just kinda tells us about now) and retrieve it before they find a way to destroy it. (Rezcow also contacts Jessica to see if she can assist, she doesn't really confirm if she can)

With that, Rezcow uses his new craft ability to fix up and alter our bank heist inspector uniforms to look like fancy deliverymen, after doing a quick recon of the castle (mostly to make sure Jakeyboy and Rezcow can get near the castle, with it being all stonemindy and all) we aim to commence the plan!