(shouting)

The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

Post by swirlybomb »

Hostel's atmosphere, though.

Yes.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Giant Ninji wrote: The sublevels ARE in the collab, just the exits are all wrong, at least from what I recall. I remember SNN asking for Hostel again, so I sent him one...where the start of the level send you to the 25% of the level.
Here's Hostel completely, minus any wrong choices.
A non-blind run of it clocks in at 8 minutes, so yeah.

I plan on redoing Hostel for a hack I'm doing. Making its own world, and dividing it into four levels.
I watched the video. I can't believe that the part of the level from VLDC7 was the part after the midpoint! One thing about the other doors when you pressed the P-Switch, are they leading you to traps?

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Tatrion

Post by Tatrion »

Personally I've chosen to basically just ignore the ranks levels have at this point and just enjoy them for what they are. It's way easier to do that when the game is structured like a semi-normal SMW hack to begin with, too.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I recognize that SMW hacking is hard and lame but some of the levels having significant chunks missing seems like a fuckup that shouldn't have happened.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Also Fishing Fish Guy is just the worst and any level that uses him would get 0 from me. Every time.

Worse fake difficulty than all the lovefrogs in ASMBXT.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Spooky Swamp has a secret exit - one of the death's-head tombstones near the beginning is a door. The collect all the coins one is pretty annoying (you can cheat by feeding yoshi off-screen). Congratulations on finding the last one on your own.
dont wanna jihad no more
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

It's funny, because the way Fishing Boo was used in the original SMW was actually pretty mild. Like, the level was mainly made of low platforms, and Fishing Boo was all the way at the top of the screen - as long as you measured your jumps it was completely possible to avoid getting hit by it. Sadly, very few people have managed to use it as well as Nintendo did originally.

Anyway, today's video had three levels that I like a whole lot, especially the third one, Pleasant Forest. There's just something about that level that feels very good - it's the right combination of palettes and tilesets that makes it particularly... well, pleasant. It's quite incredible how vanilla hacking has changed in recent years - people seem to have a better grasp on difficulty and what makes a level enjoyable to play. And the trend of using Tails-whatshisnumbers' weird dirt geometry fetish has since died down, which is nice, to say the least.

The mountain SMW remix that Pleasant Forest used is probably my favorite song in the VLDC7 soundtrack, by the way.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I also liked today's levels. I kinda feel like the forest level only used Mystery Deeps because it sounds really really nice, and not because it was necessarily super fitting, but maybe that's just me.
SPOOOOKY
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Today's episode once again showing that the rankings are borked in a couple places maybe perhaps.

In other words, these levels actually were like... really nice, especially FOREST OF ILLUSION. I like levels that play around with how the game is usually played, at least when done well. It's a real shame that the rankings give some false impressions at times!
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

One of the only things I'll say in defense of the rankings (and this has likely been brought up in other contests) is that even though you're seeing giant discrepancies in ordinal positions (1st, 2nd, 40th, 50th, and so on), the actual scores are extremely close to one another until you get down to the bottom two or three. For instance, 20th place got a 70.5/80, while 69th place got a 61.75/80 - less than a 10-point difference there.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow was so happy in this episode!!! it made me happy too
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

That particular remix (the one used in Pleasant Forest, which we'll actually hear a lot in the mountain world) is probably the best one. The ice remix we'll hear later takes a close second though.

Actually, the mountain world in general is great, I'm looking forward to seeing that one.
Giant Ninji

Post by Giant Ninji »

En Gardevoir wrote:
I watched the video. I can't believe that the part of the level from VLDC7 was the part after the midpoint! One thing about the other doors when you pressed the P-Switch, are they leading you to traps?
All incorrect doors lead you in circles. The two doors at the end of the Spriteless Area leads to two different rooms. Each room is correct, but it is simply faster to take the second door. All p-switch doors simply send you to the room you didn't take, and there's one as well in the other room not show in the video.
dr_kraid wrote:levels having significant chunks missing seems like a fuckup that shouldn't have happened.
Yes. Correct.
dr_kraid wrote:Also Fishing Fish Guy is just the worst and any level that uses him would get 0 from me. Every time.
You are the type of person I actually made the level for. I know that some people for some reason have passionate hate for the fishing boo that, as you said, you automatically think any level using it is terrible. I made the level knowing that, since I do not think that the fishing boo sprite itself is what makes a level inherently wrong. I can't tell if I did it to prove them wrong or simply to mess with them, because it's dumb to hate a sprite so much that any level that uses it is bad. I think it's both, really.
Just in general to address some other people:

Hostel was spawned from the ideas of a dark level that must be played slowly and thoughtfully. The the first area is completely spriteless, and at the end of that are there's a choice between the Hands Room (swooper bat ceiling) and the Heads Room (fishing boo). That's the original Hostel. So any ideas that the fishing boo was tacked on is completely untrue. If you didn't notice, the Heads Room was for the most partwithout reach of the Fishing Boo, but to mix things up and I had the player think about what to do with the Layer 2 smash, which is a thing that forces the player to be taken above the FIshing Boo, which is not ideal.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote:I had reasons in being afraid of those weird freaky faces on the trees
why did this remind me of macross (yes i know it says robotech, but this scene's originally from macross so there)

(robotech is just three mecha anime haphazardly duct taped together after all)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Giant Ninji wrote:You are the type of person I actually made the level for. I know that some people for some reason have passionate hate for the fishing boo that, as you said, you automatically think any level using it is terrible. I made the level knowing that, since I do not think that the fishing boo sprite itself is what makes a level inherently wrong. I can't tell if I did it to prove them wrong or simply to mess with them, because it's dumb to hate a sprite so much that any level that uses it is bad. I think it's both, really.
There's some very valid criticisms against the fishing boo though. Namely the fact that when it turns around the flame flat out teleports making it REALLY difficult to avoid. SMW only avoids this issue simply because they make the fishing boo a moot point whereas the vast majority of user made levels that utilize the sprite give you very few areas where the sprite isn't a danger. If the only way to deal with the issues of the sprite is to make it completely non-dangerous then there are issues with the sprite.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

That pleasant remix is extremely fresh
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

Can I just say I love that mountain overworld map? It looks super neato.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

The original fishing fish guy was used to say "don't ever jump this high", and it was just a 30% chance you'd actually be punished for breaking that rule. When he's used in a context where you have to spend time his killzone, he's suddenly an obstacle instead of an area-denial thing. And he's way too jittery and unpredictable to be a fun obstacle. He could theoretically be used well in hacks, if they use him just as a mild deterrent from going above a certain line. It can make the other stuff feel tougher and slightly claustrophobic because you're encouraged to jump at minimum height -- but it's probably best if you make it entirely possible (even if it's very difficult) to stay below his range.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

One of my favorite levels in the game is coming up tomorrow.

Another one of my favorite levels may also be coming up tomorrow depending on whether or not raocow doesn't make the former a single-entry video.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

That song on the beach/mountain place is really good. What is it? Sounds endgamey.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

It's original.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I liked Spiny Logging Fort. I agree with raocow that the way the moving platforms interacted with the Grinders made for some interesting play. Has that been done much elsewhere? It seems like it must have been, but I can't say I remember any specific examples.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

lolyoshi wrote:It's original.
Man, could we get a link or something? It's really good stuff.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The remixes were linked here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15496&p=267198#p267198
dont wanna jihad no more
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Just when I think I've seen everything you can do with vanilla graphics, something else happens in a level and I get super fascinated all over again.