(shouting)

The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

Post by Sebby19 »

MrDeePay wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:I also wish more levels would be connected in some way. SMBX can do that really easily!

What do you mean by this?
You can easily make a warp that goes directly to another level.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Sebby19 wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:I also wish more levels would be connected in some way. SMBX can do that really easily!

What do you mean by this?
You can easily make a warp that goes directly to another level.
You mean like going to another level that already exists in the same game/level? Because if you mean that, then you already can.
suck hacker

Post by suck hacker »

S.N.N. wrote:The good news is that two of the levels in the 8th VLDC opted to use that remix too, so this video isn't the last we'll hear of it.

..speaking of which, if all goes well, I anticipate we'll be finished with the next collab in the next two months or so (with ENHANCED JUDGING among other things). I'm hoping that will get played as well.
Bah. if you guys didn't be pricks and ban me for being better than you all, Id be first place in your silly contest, SNN!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yeah, what a bummer. Seems we're missing out on utter quality by not having you around.
suck hacker

Post by suck hacker »

S.N.N. wrote:Yeah, what a bummer. Seems we're missing out on utter quality by not having you around.
you talk truth, dictator guy! talkhaus is where my work will go from now on guy! SMWCentral is like the trash bin these days. And that fermenting odour is pretty foul
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

¯\(º_o)/¯
MoneyMan wrote:how did that one level do the thing with the things in the room changing when the p-switch was pressed with vanilla im confused
Just some ExAnimation on the tiles in the background, the doors and the red pea thingies
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

suck hacker wrote:
S.N.N. wrote:Yeah, what a bummer. Seems we're missing out on utter quality by not having you around.
you talk truth, dictator guy! talkhaus is where my work will go from now on guy! SMWCentral is like the trash bin these days. And that fermenting odour is pretty foul
Your trolling game is putrid, little boy.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

uploading seems to be a thing with youtube right now so video might be a bit later than usual
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

3rd and 2nd place are both really fantastic levels (especially 2nd). 1st place is good too, but I'm sure you've already heard from others in this thread that it .. may be slightly overranked. This is just kind of a forewarning to lower your expectations a bit for it.

(don't get me wrong, it's still an excellent level in its own right, but my personal favorite level in the contest is second place.)
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

I didn't really like Snake Eater that much. The midpoint was pretty early, and that last section ramped up way harder than the earlier ones.

I'm not a fan of the TSRP hacks or FPI's level design in general though. Opinions and all that.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

doctor mario swims in the blood of his enemies

you heard it here first !
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ozzy Ment »

I always watch these while eating dinner so that first level was kinda...interesting. Still not as bad as the time I had lunch right after visiting a kadavar lab though.
Seeing this contest has made me wonder why more people don't use eating blocks.
This fits me far too well:
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

I have no idea why they haven't gone overused by now (I can tell there's at least one level based on them for this year's VLDC though)
FPI's level was a neat one. I didn't find it that hard, it's even easy if you compare it to his hacks' difficulty level (I really just gave up on TSRP2R because of the difficulty)

Also I was not a big fan of the 2nd place level because of the difficulty I had with it, especially in the second half. I'm not sure if that was just me being dumb, but there's a warning anyway. It looks cool though (other than I think some colors could've gotten some work)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Koopster wrote:(I can tell there's at least one level based on them for this year's VLDC though)
I recall three levels using them this year, two of which are really unique and the other which feels like a Pandora ripoff.

..speaking of Pandora, worldpeace also entered this year and his gimmicks are arguably even more impressive. The guy has a serious talent.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

MrDeePay wrote:You mean like going to another level that already exists in the same game/level? Because if you mean that, then you already can.
Uhm, yeah, that's what I meant. It's super easy.

OR... you can have one giant 'level' look like two separate levels, and just have the spots on the overworld lead to different start points. This would remove the obvious transition (black screen with lives counter) between the levels. Just take care to remember the 1 midpoint limitation.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I wonder if I'm alone in disliking A Study in Fulcrums. l mean, I see the ingenuity in it, but at the same time, there's a lot of visual and functional confusion, potential blind drops into pits (when trying to get your bearings upon entering the wacky parts of the level) and traps (those falling spikes) on top of an overuse of invisible coin blocks and whatnot. Maybe that's what sets it apart from others, but different isn't always better...though I suppose in a contest, it's these sorts of gambits that can really pay off?
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Sebby19 wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:You mean like going to another level that already exists in the same game/level? Because if you mean that, then you already can.
Uhm, yeah, that's what I meant. It's super easy.

OR... you can have one giant 'level' look like two separate levels, and just have the spots on the overworld lead to different start points. This would remove the obvious transition (black screen with lives counter) between the levels. Just take care to remember the 1 midpoint limitation.
That can already be done and there are multiple midway point patches that can circumvent that limitation.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

MrDeePay wrote:That can already be done and there are multiple midway point patches that can circumvent that limitation.
Sebby is saying "This is a neat thing you can do. We've seen it done in SMW, and it'd also be easy in SMBX. People should do it more!" And you sound like you're disagreeing with him, but you're also saying that it's possible to do. I... I don't understand.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

that's mrdeepay! *laugh track*
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ditocoaf wrote:Sebby is saying "This is a neat thing you can do. We've seen it done in SMW, and it'd also be easy in SMBX. People should do it more!" And you sound like you're disagreeing with him, but you're also saying that it's possible to do. I... I don't understand.
Okay, good. I thought I might have just been misunderstanding what one of them was saying. Good to know I'm not losing my mind yet.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I think when Sebby said "it'd be easy to do in smbx", DeePay misread that as saying that it wouldn't be easy to to in SMW.
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

I assume he thought he was trying to make smbx look superior because it could do that really easily or something.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Leet wrote:that's mrdeepay! *laugh track*
Shitpost elsewhere.
Ditocoaf wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:That can already be done and there are multiple midway point patches that can circumvent that limitation.
Sebby is saying "This is a neat thing you can do. We've seen it done in SMW, and it'd also be easy in SMBX. People should do it more!" And you sound like you're disagreeing with him, but you're also saying that it's possible to do. I... I don't understand.
I'm not disagreeing with him- but I see what was meant now.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

MrDeePay wrote:
Leet wrote:that's mrdeepay! *laugh track*
Shitpost elsewhere.
that's mrdeepay! *laugh track*
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

VLDC7 ended as it lived, with questionable level ranking.