(shouting)

The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

Post by FPzero »

I think I know why Snow My made it so high up. Visually the level is just simple and clean but still looks nice. What you must realize is that the whole level is about the note block and ice setups. The level starts out teaching the player what is going to be happening during the level and expands on that idea as it goes. It's kept relatively short so that the idea doesn't fully wear itself out.

As I watched I definitely thought it was a high quality level. You just might not think it actually is because the visual presentation is so simple and in keeping with original SMW and unlike many many other levels in this collab.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

I had imagined it had placed that high because of level design shenaningans, but from my player perspective, I've honestly not felt anything special about it. It's really, really straightforward. Jump pits and avoid enemies, and that's all about it.

Also Nonsens Zone is best yeah
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

S.N.N. wrote:It's in the ZIP I linked earlier, but someone also put up a video of it.
What page number is your zip?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Snow my word these rankings.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Sebby19 wrote:What page number is your zip?
Link

I've relinked it quite a few times on request. Perhaps someone could edit it into the first post so I don't need to dig it up anymore?
Miyuron

Post by Miyuron »

Dat NONSENS ZONE remix! I wanna dance!
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by QuietProtag »

NONSENS ZONE is probably my favorite level so far.
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

NONSENS ZONE was my favorite level when I played through this contest, and I really feel like it should've been in the top 5. It was fun, and played with the abstract gimmick well.

There's a couple levels in the top-whatever world that I honestly really disagree with them being up there.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Yeah,
Especially the first-place level, Blazing Peak. Don't get me wrong, it was a good level, just not... a contest-winning good level. The fact that worldpeace got beaten by that is kinda... puzzling. Even within the top 8, there are some levels I feel should have ranked higher - notably, A Study in Fulcrums, which basically blew my mind the first time I played through it. Blazing Peak is also absurdly similar to SCORPION's level, to the point where they both use the same music...
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Okay so I'm like a billion videos behind, but it doesn't take long before you just disregard the rankings entirely
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

10204307 wrote:Yeah,

Especially the first-place level, Blazing Peak. Don't get me wrong, it was a good level, just not... a contest-winning good level. The fact that worldpeace got beaten by that is kinda... puzzling. Even within the top 8, there are some levels I feel should have ranked higher - notably, A Study in Fulcrums, which basically blew my mind the first time I played through it. Blazing Peak is also absurdly similar to SCORPION's level, to the point where they both use the same music...

Which, again was the result of only having two judges and one of them was bad at their job. So far, 2015 doesn't seem to be going in that same route at all.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Dat Remix. My head is bopping 5ever.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

The good news is that two of the levels in the 8th VLDC opted to use that remix too, so this video isn't the last we'll hear of it.

..speaking of which, if all goes well, I anticipate we'll be finished with the next collab in the next two months or so (with ENHANCED JUDGING among other things). I'm hoping that will get played as well.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

It's been my favorite remix by far. I love this abstract theme because its so different from everything else I'd imagine hearing from SMW.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm sure literally everyone is going to be telling you this since it's so easy, but the kanji to the sides say "Nintendo" and the kanji up top says "Sunken Ship"
what the heck is a nin ten do
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

So what did that first level have to do with fulcrums, anyway? I mean, it was an amazing-looking level, but I didn't see anything that looked like a lever in there.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
RenaBeach wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm sure literally everyone is going to be telling you this since it's so easy, but the kanji to the sides say "Nintendo" and the kanji up top says "Sunken Ship"
what the heck is a nin ten do
it's when a person intends to do something.

like make me not a peasant anymore
oh thats what your pm freakin meant
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

What was the ball-and-chain in Fun with Fulcrums made from?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

One of the smaller banners on the middle of the Yoshi's House tree during the ending cutscene.
So what did that first level have to do with fulcrums, anyway? I mean, it was an amazing-looking level, but I didn't see anything that looked like a lever in there.
A fulcrum isn't a lever; it's the thing a lever rests on that allows it to turn. It's a fitting name, considering the gimmick is turning the level.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

The level's turning 90 and then 180 degrees, both of which are points at which fulcrums are clearly not doing their job of helping keep disparate forces balanced.

Shame "A Study in Pivots" doesn't sound as neat, though.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I also wish more levels would be connected in some way. SMBX can do that really easily!

I challenge anyone making levels for ASMBXT Ep.2 to connect a pair of levels in some fashion.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Sebby19 wrote:I also wish more levels would be connected in some way. SMBX can do that really easily!

What do you mean by this?
Money

Post by Money »

how did that one level do the thing with the things in the room changing when the p-switch was pressed with vanilla im confused
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I think SCOPRION messed up his heartbeat transition zone in that the pipe leading to his brother's level should have been the one in the ceiling?