(shouting)

The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Giant Ninji

Re: The 2014th Smoo Central Vanilla Contest

Post by Giant Ninji »

raocow wrote:man, like.... I get that he wants me to play the 'real' level but I had planned on playing what's in the game. Since... that's what I want to play anyway in order to get the M, and I don't know if I want to play a level that's apparently really hard twice.
You could play the real level. If you send me your save file up to when you get to hostel, I could get that M on Hostel on that save file and send it to you.
Your call though.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

morsel/morceau wrote: (3) After hitting the on/off switch, track back and all should become clear (the jumping board should be useful).
The trick here is the switch block outline indicates an invisible coin block.
Ditocoaf wrote:Why... why would you put a "red herring" for a secret exit?
It was perfectly timed that raocow would be primed to look for a secret exit having missed so many. We see here the hand of a salutory Providence, mocking our puny attempts at constructing an order where there is only the mystery of God's will.
dont wanna jihad no more
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

Welkin's definition is somewhat sketchy; it usually refers to the sky or heaven, particularly in a religious sense. The most common place to hear it is in the phrase 'let/made the welkin ring', which is a fancy way of saying 'made butt-tonnes of noise'. It appeared in some English WWII ballads, but doesn't seem to have been a super common word even then.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

I want to comment on how it seems that rao thinks it is weird that people willingly make forest levels. I think that forest levels have a significant amount of variety. Off the top of my head, some of the "genres" or gimmicks of forests can include: haunted forests, magical forests, cut-down forests, tall treetops, rainforests/jungles, toxic jungles, or the "big tree" levels.

I don't know, I just think forests have a lot of potential that is not always seen. Speaking of haunted forests, that third level seemed good, but the second part did kill it. And it wasn't even the gimmick. It was the fact that the level was difficult BEFORE the gimmick with the spinjumping on ghosts and the psuedo-puzzles. Like, if he toned down the difficulty and didn't make as many pits, the level would have been fine with the lighting gimmick. But it would have also been good if he got rid of the gimmick too! So, he just kind of made it too hard.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

The thing that hit raocow in the Fishin' Boo section of Stormwood Manor is a shelless red koopa. I'm not sure why it was invisible, but I suspect it has to do with an incorrect sprite header.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ozzy Ment »

That vine was not radioactive; it was a GMO.
This fits me far too well:
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ozzy Ment wrote:That vine was not radioactive; it was a GMO.
GMO? GFP!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

The lightning part seemed fair to me. I mean, you just had no take your time to see what was ahead, since most of the obstacles were ghosts that don't move on their own, and you could've seen the boo circle by R-scrolling. It's also pretty short as well

e : also re : welkin :

Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

TheVulpineHero1 wrote:Welkin's definition is somewhat sketchy; it usually refers to the sky or heaven, particularly in a religious sense. The most common place to hear it is in the phrase 'let/made the welkin ring', which is a fancy way of saying 'made butt-tonnes of noise'. It appeared in some English WWII ballads, but doesn't seem to have been a super common word even then.
I wouldn't have known at all if it wasn't for the album "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" by Emperor.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Stormwood Manor has a secret exit. The bad news it's in the second half. The good news is you can kill your light-bearing friend by sliding.

After hitting the p switch, go back to the left.

It's possible to run out of time here as there's barely enough.
dont wanna jihad no more
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Awesome, I'm not the only one who thought Valkyria Chronicles at the welkin thing.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Was that a light switch raocow kept missing in the lightning part of Stormwood Manor?
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Why the fush are so many grey stone blocks stuck in the ground this game??? Like why has that even happened?????????
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Was that design quirk in Hacks 101 or whatever that was called? I know I've seen it frequently before this contest, though.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Probably.

Then again, there were a lot of horrible design quirks in Hacks 101 that shouldn't still be around, yet are.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

If you're talking about the blocks that are halfway stuck in the dirt all over the place, they're officially sanctioned on the global map16 page provided at the start of the contest. Entrants were given limited space to make their own tiles, so many people used the decorations from that page.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

As I mentioned in the comments, the reason it seems like it was so lowly ranked based off of what you played is because the level used to be substantially longer and harder. Somehow, a couple of sublevels were lost when the level was inserted, so what you played seems relatively easy in comparison.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

That's interesting, because what I did play... honestly and seriously feels like a nice, complete level..!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

So does Hostel have a secret exit and/or "better" ending? I got the sense the last room probably has some hidden "third option" to it.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Who let Fransiska Von Karma make a level?
Giant Ninji

Post by Giant Ninji »

S.N.N. wrote:As I mentioned in the comments, the reason it seems like it was so lowly ranked based off of what you played is because the level used to be substantially longer and harder. Somehow, a couple of sublevels were lost when the level was inserted, so what you played seems relatively easy in comparison.
raocow wrote:That's interesting, because what I did play... honestly and seriously feels like a nice, complete level..!
The sublevels ARE in the collab, just the exits are all wrong, at least from what I recall. I remember SNN asking for Hostel again, so I sent him one...where the start of the level send you to the 25% of the level.
Here's Hostel completely, minus any wrong choices.
A non-blind run of it clocks in at 8 minutes, so yeah.

I plan on redoing Hostel for a hack I'm doing. Making its own world, and dividing it into four levels.
Voltgloss wrote:So does Hostel have a secret exit and/or "better" ending? I got the sense the last room probably has some hidden "third option" to it.
No. There was a third option once, but it also led to fires.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Damn, that level... other than the level design choices, the level kind of legitimately creeped me out at the end. It's almost like a creepypasta sort of thing in a way, just without the creepypasta part.

Fortunately, we can all pretend it was just Mario having a really bad nightmare (especially since he pops out into a normal forest afterwards).
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

Validon98 wrote:Damn, that level... other than the level design choices, the level kind of legitimately creeped me out at the end. It's almost like a creepypasta sort of thing in a way, just without the creepypasta part.

Fortunately, we can all pretend it was just Mario having a really bad nightmare (especially since he pops out into a normal forest afterwards).
Reminds me of the horror level contest. Which was a thing. I don't think it happens anymore, but I think you should be able to find the old ones at SMWC.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"you're ruining the picture, luigi! stop being dead!"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote:"you're ruining the picture, luigi! stop being dead!"
vinny get off of the talkhaus

your v-shrooms are not welcome here
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage