(shouting)

the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

Post by SAJewers »

If I did my math right, $1 patrons now pay $16.55 a year, up from the $12.

So $1 patrons do get a bit screwed over, others I believe don't if those people change their pledge to compensate for the change (why this wasn't done alongside i have no idea)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I didn't really understand how bad that change is, but do keep in mind there are alternatives like enty.jp (and I'd probably switch if it does turn out to be more worthwhile for the patrons)

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I posted this on the patreon discord, but I thought this was an interesting take on the entire thing:

FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

No matter what, rao's patapon is one I'll never drop unless we all move to another platform...

Or I become allowed to just mail checks.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Finally sent him a dollar after so long. Guess I'll do one more month or can it when January's one rolls around. I don't even make $1 off my videos a month, so this was never going to be a long-term option anyway. It's a real greedy move on Patreon's part, charging that much of a fee to support creators.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Bit late, there was an update by Patreon, Summarized by these tweets

Apparently the changes are to fix something people were pissed about, but caused even more people to be pissed
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

The issue before was supposedly that it wasn't as clear for creators how much money they'd make at the end of the month because people pledging were giving the flat rate of the pledge tier, then Patreon would calculate service charges after the total amount was summed.
Now it sounds like Patreon will be taking service charges straight from each individual pledge so creators know the exact amount they'll get. Or something along those lines. The reason people are pissed is because of how many $1/month patrons it might drive away since now to pledge a dollar the patron has to pledge the dollar plus Patreon's cut so that after the cut it's totalled to a dollar.

I could be wrong, someone can correct me.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago The issue before was supposedly that it wasn't as clear for creators how much money they'd make at the end of the month because people pledging were giving the flat rate of the pledge tier, then Patreon would calculate service charges after the total amount was summed.
Now it sounds like Patreon will be taking service charges straight from each individual pledge so creators know the exact amount they'll get. Or something along those lines. The reason people are pissed is because of how many $1/month patrons it might drive away since now to pledge a dollar the patron has to pledge the dollar plus Patreon's cut so that after the cut it's totalled to a dollar.

I could be wrong, someone can correct me.
My understanding is (as mentioned above in those tweets) that creators were complaining to Patreon about people who would "pledge", get access to the creators' content, then drop the pledge at the 11th hour before getting billed.

The decided to fix that by forcing people to pay immediately upon pledging in order to get access. Because that introduces the problem of someone pledging (and getting billed) on say November 30, then getting billed again December 1, they also went with the Twitch sub payment model (you start pledging December 8, you get billed the 8th of every month).

Your understanding of the new problem is spot on though, though there's also people confused about what this means for Patreons that are billed pre creation/post instead of per month.

EDIT: Also, this s a good point
Last edited by SAJewers 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Kinda feels like a better solution might've been to keep the old system, but not give people access to content until they're actually charged on the 1st of the following month.

Obviously that's not perfect either (with people in some cases having to wait weeks before they would actually be able to view patron-only material), but would probably result in less pissed off people than this model overall.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Actually, thinking about it this morning, what they should've done is take the payment upon pledge, but pro-rate for Patreons that are per-month (per creation you still pay the full pledge), plus make it clear when pledging how much is going to patreon and how much is being taken off the top in fees (rather than adding the fees on)

Then again, apparently people were complaining that they were confused about how they were getting billed, so I dunno.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I don't like that transaction fee at all. I guess there are jerks out there that are donating and canceling it at the last minute, but there are more that aren't. This is just going to weed out a lot of those low pledges because people won't want to pay that much extra. It sounds insignificant, but if you donate to a lot of people, it pretty much becomes an extra $1 for every $3 you donate. That's nonsense.

I like Alchemist's idea way better. Pay money, gain access to it for the following month makes more sense than this idea they've come up with. It just feels like one of those maximize company profits ideas again, and we all know how those go.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

That would be a very bad system.
For one thing, creators wouldn't even be able to give out content until the 1st of the month after they start their account. But also a lot of the time people only hop on for 1 month so they can access something special happening that month, like a live stream of an event the creator is putting on. You wouldn't be able to access these 1-time things unless you were on the necessary pledge level ahead of time.

Has it ever been proposed that you're just charged the max amount you pledge in a month? Like, if you're on a $5 level and up to $20 for some 1-time thing, then jump back down to $5 in the same month, you'll still be charged the $20? That always seemed like the most obvious thing to me but maybe there's a downside I'm not thinking of.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

So, basically take the money on the last day of the month, and they still take one final payment after you cancel.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Patreon seems to have handled this pretty respectably. Especially in that one of the biggest concerns -- that it looked like they were going to start piling up processing fees for people with multiple pledges despite the fact that they only process one transaction per month -- turned out to be that they actually were switching to processing all the indivdual pledges as separate transactions. And they were doing that to address valid concerns they were hearing from creators. They just never communicated their intent very well and didn't seem to think through the additional negative consequences that would outweigh what they were trying to do.

Knowing that this was an attempt to address feedback they'd gotten from creators in the past, and then seeing them actually listen to feedback now and rollback the changes, gives me confidence in the company.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If you didn't get the e-mail, check Discord or Patreon.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I don't typically advertise this but just a head's up that a big voting thing has begun today
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago I don't typically advertise this but just a head's up that a big voting thing has begun today
Synchronicity Prologue!

Risky's Revenge!

Dreamland 2!

Kirby 64!

noneofwhichwillshowuponthepollsbecauseimnotapatron
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago Synchronicity Prologue!
Risky's Revenge!
Dreamland 2!
Kirby 64!
noneofwhichwillshowuponthepollsbecauseimnotapatron
spoiler: at least one of these are in the running..!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

+10 Celeste
-10 every other game

Do I win
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Parama wrote: 6 years ago +10 Celeste
-10 every other game

Do I win
That's using up 20 out of 10 points and you have to vote for at least 3 games
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 6 years ago
-10 every other game

Do I win
More like using 10 points per game
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 6 years ago
-10 every other game

Do I win
It's a joke post, janet
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Comment: Oh man, Cave Story is on the list. Cave Story. Maybe enough time has passed? Maybe Cave Story's mantle has been inherited by newer, shinier Indie Games That Are Overwhelmingly Popular Among A Certain Subset.

Prediction: Celeste and Hollow Knight will each have 10x as many points as the third place game.