(shouting)

the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

Post by raocow »

So I'm hitting one of my quarterly 'oh my god I don't want to do this job forever please let there be an out' spell in regards to my real life job and, yeah. Anyway, in the past I've always refused donations, but then I started the whole add thing because I didn't mind a corporation giving me money. Thing is though, it's still pretty much change, and kinda hard to predict, and I dunno.

Basically what I'm asking is, is there anyone would be be personally insulted or whatever if I where to give this patreon thing a try? Maybe it's a way out, maybe not, but I realise that I won't know unless I try. It's just that it kinda clashes with my past ideologies a little bit, which is stopping me from going full hog. I heard that it turned the life around of a few people, which is great, but, well, yeah, I dunno, I'm that kind of person I guess.

I'm gonna press submit now before I press on 'back' in firefox instead.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
devil†zukin

Re: a serious question for y'all

Post by devil†zukin »

i think you should go for it o/
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Personally, I wouldn't mind. Go for it.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

No objections.
Peeps need money to survive yo
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Might also want to consider Twitch mayhap rao, a lot of peeps are going over there and being able to quit their jobs and do that full time. Also it's a lot more stable I think compared to Youtube from what I recently found out about their pay model. Didn't know this until yesterday but subscribing to somebody over there means that you pay monthly to be subscribed, 5$ every month from every subscriber of yours.

Me personally yeah, I wouldn't mind if you did Patreon shenanigans. Granted I wouldn't be paying for content over there since A) Broke as hell and B) Don't like subscription-based services.

But, I've been seeing more and more people finding success on both Patreon and Twitch.

Also, keep in mind that if you're not connected to a MCN you make less money from Youtube ads from what I hear. MCNs will pay you more money for the same amount of views. You may want to look into connecting to somebody like Polaris.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

a serious question for y'all

Post by Sorel »

With all the entertainment and laughs you give to us for free everyday, you really, really deserve to get paid for it. Go for it.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Agreed. Go for it!
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

You may also want to consider broadening audience by broadening your game choice. Triple A games. Seriously.

I know, I know, it sucks, but the simple fact of the matter will be that the more players a game has the more potential viewers will be looking for videos on that game. Think about how big the Mario fangame community is compared to other communities, like Hearthstone or Dark Souls.

Twitch has a handy little thing that might be useful for gauging interest on that side of things, a page just for seeing what's the most popular game being streamed with the most viewers.
http://www.twitch.tv/directory
Very useful in terms of seeing what people like to watch.

Again, it sucks, I'm with you on this one to where I like the more indie influences, but if full time is your goal and being able to quit your job this is the kind of thing you've gotta think about.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I don't think he needs to be going to AAA games right now. That is selling out all the way. Then again, he's playing Castlevania.

Well, your advent calendar thing has proven that people are willing to spend money on you. Not sure I would want to do that all year, however. I'm not even subscribed to you on Youtube.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I'd say to play the games you're interested in playing, whether they be AAA or not. I have to think "forcing" yourself to play something just because it's "AAA" or "people are watching it on Twitch" could lead to similarly forced commentary and/or dulling your own enjoyment.

That said, I see nothing wrong with looking into what games are "popular" with viewers to see if any of them ALSO spark your interest. You might stumble on something you wouldn't ordinarily have chosen to play but actually genuinely enjoy - and if it's popular with viewers too, that's win-win. But again, if a game is "popular" and you look at it and think "that's not really for me," I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself to play it.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Set that Patreon up. I don't know what goals you can do, but I'm pretty sure there are a few people that would give you money that way to take some of that mental pressure off you. Lord knows I've thought about it for a while, but I don't think I'm popular enough to try. On the other hand, you? Do this like yesterday.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Voltgloss wrote: That said, I see nothing wrong with looking into what games are "popular" with viewers to see if any of them ALSO spark your interest. You might stumble on something you wouldn't ordinarily have chosen to play but actually genuinely enjoy - and if it's popular with viewers too, that's win-win. But again, if a game is "popular" and you look at it and think "that's not really for me," I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself to play it.
Yes, that's the win/win to look for for everybody involved. Finding something you enjoy but also has a viewerbase for it.
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

Oh, one of those moments where you find your self wondering 'what am I even doing'?
I think I understand where you're coming from.
I would honestly be glad to support you on Patreon or otherwise, with no conditions :3
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I'm ok with it if you share it with your hard-working talkhaus mods 8-)

Yeah you should do it, maybe even the patreon thing if you're motivated enough to set it up

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The "AAA" games tend to be pretty boring in my opinion. They get old quick due to the large traffic of people playing them. Also I have no problem with the idea of patreon.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

It couldn't really hurt to set up a Patreon. I don't think anybody is gonna have a problem with it, so go for it!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I don't really see why you shouldn't setup a Patreon. If someone has some problem with it for whatever reason, no one is forcing them to pay you. And if it helps you have more time to devote to your channel that's really not a bad thing for the viewers anyways. The average donation on Patreon looks to be $7 and with 27,000 subscribers, even if 1% of them (270 people) donate that average amount that'd still be $1,890(USD) per month. (Though the Wikipedia page I got that number from does say per creation not per month, but still.)

PinkKittyRose only has 12k subscribers and earns $92 per video from 15 patrons after looking. You have double the subscribers and you release a video per day but if you made that amount from Patreon per video you'd be making about 50% more that that per month estimate I made. So definitely go for it and see how it works for you.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man if that ended up being true, I'd do as much money as my real life job, more or less.

huh.

huhhh.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

theres a wide range of content on patreon tho

for ppl who make as much content as you they do monthly funding (or per content with a max amount per month but monthly probably makes more sense)

also what kind of donation incentives r u gonna offer >:3
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:man if that ended up being true, I'd do as much money as my real life job, more or less.

huh.

huhhh.
(Just quoting this so it makes more sense because people keep posting every time I click submit, lol.)
It might be a good idea to keep in mind that PinkKittyRose has also only done 7 videos in the last month as opposed to your 30ish. (Actually probably closer to 50 for December what with Advent Christmas. And I haven't used Patreon before so I'm unsure how it works exactly.) So for her that would only be $679. But it never hurts to try regardless because you never know how much it might make you.

If you make one I'll definitely donate something, though how much depends on if there's an option for just paying monthly or if it has to be per creation.
RenaBeach wrote:for ppl who make as much content as you they do monthly funding (or per content with a max amount per month but monthly probably makes more sense)
Oh, so there is a monthly option? That's good.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

Alice wrote:
raocow wrote:man if that ended up being true, I'd do as much money as my real life job, more or less.

huh.

huhhh.
(Just quoting this so it makes more sense because people keep posting every time I click submit, lol.)
It might be a good idea to keep in mind that PinkKittyRose has also only done 7 videos in the last month as opposed to your 30ish. (Actually probably closer to 50 for December what with Advent Christmas. And I haven't used Patreon before so I'm unsure how it works exactly.) So for her that would only be $679. But it never hurts to try regardless because you never know how much it might make you.

If you make one I'll definitely donate something, though how much depends on if there's an option for just paying monthly or if it has to be per creation.
RenaBeach wrote:for ppl who make as much content as you they do monthly funding (or per content with a max amount per month but monthly probably makes more sense)
Oh, so there is a monthly option? That's good.
i think it's one or the other for a particular creator but even for per-creation you can specify a monthly maximum so it works out similarly if u wanna do monthly
Alice

Post by Alice »

Horikawa Otane wrote:With the per-creation model, which I recommend raocow use, the donors can set a 'monthly cap' that they're guaranteed not to go over. So I could say, give raocow 1 dollar per video, but have a monthly cap of 15 dollars. If raocow uploaded 200 videos, I'd only be charged 15 dollars that month. If he uploaded 10 videos, I'd be charged 10 dollars. I think this is the best model, personally.
Alright, I have to agree with you on this being the best model if that's possible then.
Additionally, I think raocow should set some realistic goals. Like for a better computer so we can have 1080p raocow and not have slowdown in games like Valdis Story, etc. I'd be very interested in something like that.

Or promises of some famous AAA titles. I'd *love* to see a raocow playthrough of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or Psychonauts (PLEASE).
Isn't his reason for not normally uploading in >480p due to Canada's bandwidth cap BS? Though he has done 720p for 2 and now SotN though which is nice. I don't mind 720p at all since it scales nicely on my monitor. (Which is exactly twice 720p in each direction.)
Money

Post by Money »

yeah i'd donate to ya, you deserve it
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

If you made a Patreon I would be very angry and upset even though I don't know what it is.

!!