(shouting)

the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Re: the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

i went ahead and donated $30 to Mr. the Filby last night.

Also did some quick math and noticed that if all the peeps who've already donated sent something small like 5 more dollars towards him that he'd have enough to pay his bills

So Imma go ahead and do that at some point, I think.
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
ACesspoolofHatred

I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

What, no Pokken Tournament?!?!
ACesspoolofHatred

Telamon wrote:What, no Pokken Tournament?!?!
it's there, it's just abbreviated to Pok and Pokken
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I have no idea how the heck I'm supposed to watch top 8s all day Saturday and also important pools and also sleep and also not die simultaneously.

Friday finals had a lot of good points, you guys.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

ACesspoolofHatred wrote:
Telamon wrote:What, no Pokken Tournament?!?!
it's there, it's just abbreviated to Pok and Pokken
i swear to god i know how to read :/
ACesspoolofHatred

conflicted on whether i should have post-recommendation questions in my pat-a-pon comment or not
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

ACesspoolofHatred wrote:i went ahead and donated $30 to Mr. the Filby last night.

Also did some quick math and noticed that if all the peeps who've already donated sent something small like 5 more dollars towards him that he'd have enough to pay his bills

Aw man, thank you so much. And everyone else who helped, especially Horikawa and raocow for spreading word.

Sorry I didn't thank you sooner, I don't check the forums very often.
I change this sig every year for Advent
ACesspoolofHatred

Filby wrote:
ACesspoolofHatred wrote:i went ahead and donated $30 to Mr. the Filby last night.

Aw man, thank you so much. And everyone else who helped, especially Horikawa and raocow for spreading word.

Sorry I didn't thank you sooner, I don't check the forums very often.
no prob man

Don't be afraid to give us updates!
ACesspoolofHatred

I'm assuming Mr. the Cow interpreted my "use your eyes" as "look really carefully at just the video or something like that". Probably my fault for being unclear. <_<;
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

These poll results so far...

U-um, the top was best and the bottom was worst, right? >_> I may have fucked up horribly if they weren't. The "details" shows what looks correct but the "average score" list tells a much more ambiguous story. (Especially when half the list is still alphabetical due to games that people didn't reorder.) Are small numbers good?
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

TaviTurnip wrote:These poll results so far...

U-um, the top was best and the bottom was worst, right? >_> I may have fucked up horribly if they weren't. The "details" shows what looks correct but the "average score" list tells a much more ambiguous story. (Especially when half the list is still alphabetical due to games that people didn't reorder.) Are small numbers good?
Looks to me like the numbers are average placing, so if everyone had the same favorite it would be 1. Clearly though the fact that everyone starts with an alphabetical list has to be influencing the placement...Like, some people just submitted with no changes by accident or something?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah uhm I'll give it a few days but if it still looks that way we'll revert to the old way :/
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

raocow wrote:yeah uhm I'll give it a few days but if it still looks that way we'll revert to the old way :/
i'm sure there are plenty of people who would just do the vote counting for you. If you're comfortable with that, of course.

Anyway, I feel like this site would be better if it scrambled the list before you started voting. I know that I maybe had an opinion of 15-20 of the games, so the rest are just sorta there in the middle, weighted according to alphabetization.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

I literally put seven games at the top, two at the bottom, and left the entire rest of the list. Somehow I was too stupid to realize that if twenty other people did this also, that a lot of A and B games were gonna have intense favor >_> Feels like an obvious thing to think about, in hindsight.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

TaviTurnip wrote:I literally put seven games at the top, two at the bottom, and left the entire rest of the list. Somehow I was too stupid to realize that if twenty other people did this also, that a lot of A and B games were gonna have intense favor >_> Feels like an obvious thing to think about, in hindsight.
Basically this, but anything I didn't deliberately place I fed through a randomizer.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Oh geez, this is a mess. Uh, I'll parse this later.

But first I'd like to say that Rabi-Ribi is a contender for best Metroidvania of all time. No joke, Super Metroid/Metroid Prime quality if we ignore the terrible, terrible story and dialogue.
There's a billion abilities and every random path will reward you with something good and the game is HUGE and utterly breakable and NNNNGGGGGHHHH
Nothing more to add, just wanted to gush for a bit.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I hope a Shantae game is on there somewhere...

Or, for a complete screwball, Chex Quest 3.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I'm gonna get my 180 proxies to vote for faxanadu because you said it's terrible. And I like how you had to randomly pick the worst part of the game in that video to illustrate that. WELL PLAYED

I hope the fact that both Ys origin and felghana are in the list isn't going to split the votes too much between the two nyoro~n I proposed Origin but if I knew there already was felghana I'd have deleted it, I'd really want any of these 2 to win (even though I like Origin a bit more)

Also distorted travesty is a million times more embarassing than rabi-ribi let's be honest here.

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Stink Terios wrote: But first I'd like to say that Rabi-Ribi is a contender for best Metroidvania of all time. No joke, Super Metroid/Metroid Prime quality if we ignore the terrible, terrible story and dialogue.
There's a billion abilities and every random path will reward you with something good and the game is HUGE and utterly breakable and NNNNGGGGGHHHH
I second that statement. Biggest surprise in a long while and my GOTY 2016 so far

raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Faxanadu is kinda very rough on you in your first time through. Not that that stops me from trying to get raocow to play it. He'll probably enjoy it at first, get super frustrated in the middle, then start having fun again toward the end only to get super angry at the final dungeon.

We'll have to remember to put forth the original Shantae for the next B Side Vote.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
Stink Terios wrote: But first I'd like to say that Rabi-Ribi is a contender for best Metroidvania of all time. No joke, Super Metroid/Metroid Prime quality if we ignore the terrible, terrible story and dialogue.
I second that statement. Biggest surprise in a long while and my GOTY 2016 so far
Maybe if we join our powers we will make it become reality
Let's make this our Soldexus shilling.
Except Rabi-Ribi is actually good
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If it helps, you can export it to a CSV file and see everyone's order in a spreadsheet.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

OK, I think I figured this out?

The numbers you see is the average ranking for each game based on each response. That means the top game right now (of 32 responses) has an average ranking of 12.2 out of everyone's rankings. It just looks odd because most people probably just ranked their top 10 and bottom 10 (or so), then left everything else the same.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I'm gonna get my 180 proxies to vote for faxanadu because you said it's terrible. And I like how you had to randomly pick the worst part of the game in that video to illustrate that. WELL PLAYED.
At this point, I can only assume that raocow suffered a traumatic childhood experience wherein his favorite uncle slipped on a Faxanadu cartridge, fell face-first into the toilet and drowned or something, as there's no other way to account for his visceral antipathy towards the game. Which is apparently strong enough to manifest itself in the physical world.

As for the voting method...oh holy jeez. I appreciate the sentiment of trying to see not just people's favorites, but also what they think of all of the games vis-à-vis one another in case there's a consistent third place choiceor something, and think this might have worked if there were, say, 15-20 suggestions or so, but with this many I think the system actually works against itself as certain scores get inflated/deflated due to random apathy placement. And woe to a game who dares have a name which comes near the end of the alphabet, as they get the double curse of coming later in the video as well as being lower on the list by default.