(shouting)

the 'raocow has a patreon' thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Tenlade

Re: a serious question for y'all

Post by Tenlade »

other options for patreons could be voting for stuff"hey here's a list of games that i think are super fun, which of them should i do a one-off video of?" or "hey what order should i do things in this game?"

Alternatively make a patreon room in one of the smbx projects where people who don't make a level can have a line said.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Would the skeleton finally become the mod of the graveyard?
That crazy voice dude
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

forget partner-shaped, become patreon-shaped

i will patronize you
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

As nice as donations are, if you're serious about wanting a significant extra amount of money then you need to incentivise in some way.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Horikawa Otane wrote:However, the other alternative, if he wants to get a bit more money, would be to have his B-sides released on patreon 24 hours in advance of YouTube or something. I suspect he wouldn't want to do this though, so the other option seems a better fit.
Even if it's something he's iffy on though, he should definitely consider it. It's an extremely fair way of doing things. It gives people a reason to support his Patreon while not screwing others out of content.

And with art, I've seen some people who release art on their Patreon as part of their deal with patrons but it's always public so everyone can see it as well. So he could also consider something like that as well. Just because he's doing something for those paying into his Patreon doesn't mean only those people should benefit from it after all. The simple fact that supporting his Patreon could allow these extra sorts of things should be enough since without the patrons he wouldn't be able to do them.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Here's a video you should watch. This lady discusses how much money she makes across Blip, Youtube, and then Patreon. Take a look!

Last edited by Sebby19 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Sebby19 wrote:P.S. how does one imbed youtube vids on here?
You just put the video code in between the embeds. So in this case you'd say [yt lsg8HhM_k00 /yt]
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

Alice wrote: In raocow's case specifically, from what I recall he works at a retail store. Chances are it's a fairly widespread chain and those ones treat their workers like utter garbage more often than not. (In the eyes of those who are in charge, the employees are an expendable and easily replaceable resource.) If you haven't had experience with the job market you likely don't realize just how brutal it can be to get any job at times, let alone a worthwhile job.
He works in customer service, but not at a store, and it is incredibly brutal and stressful, so yeah, I think this is a good step forward for him. Mainly the important thing is this: you are stepping into the world of being an independent self-employed person.

TO that end, rather than just flailing about and saying "OK, how do I make money?", you need to approach it as becoming the owner and employee of a one-man business. That is -- you need to develop a business plan and model that fits your needs and a strategy to reach your consumers. Spend some time pondering this. Also, you need to develop some concrete goals, things that can be expressed as numbers. That way you can tell exactly by what margin are you succeeding or failing to meet your expectations and needs.

Something like this:

1) Get X amount of income per month
2) Save Y amount of money
3) Grow your viewership by Z amount per month
4) Increase your annual income (net of expenses) by R% each year

Once you can articulate those in certain numbers, you can adjust your day-to-day actions to reach them.
Officially voted MOD-IN-ABSENTIA by Talkhaus election 2014.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

i didnt want to say it in case it would panic u but i agree you could use a business plan too
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

Alice wrote:I don't really see why you shouldn't setup a Patreon. If someone has some problem with it for whatever reason, no one is forcing them to pay you. And if it helps you have more time to devote to your channel that's really not a bad thing for the viewers anyways. The average donation on Patreon looks to be $7 and with 27,000 subscribers, even if 1% of them (270 people) donate that average amount that'd still be $1,890(USD) per month. (Though the Wikipedia page I got that number from does say per creation not per month, but still.)
Pre-taxes! Don't forget taxes! Also, if you do get a new computer as part of this, you'd probably be able to write it off as business expenses.
Officially voted MOD-IN-ABSENTIA by Talkhaus election 2014.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

[AOD] wrote:Pre-taxes! Don't forget taxes!
This is true. I don't know what he made at this job though but I know that $1890 before taxes would still be plenty where I live. That would be taking home ~$1,398.60 per month after taxes. That's more than I earned before taxes at either of my jobs. (It was closer to $870 or so after taxes for me. Though my jobs were barely above minimum wage.)
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Alice wrote:Most art related jobs pay awfully for a lot of work. The ones that would actually be worthwhile are also the most contested ones and you have to be an extremely skilled artist to have a chance at those ones.
Okay, I suspected as much.

Like AOD said, this sort of thing requires business-like thinking, even if you're not planning to leave your current job any time soon. Do some math, set some goals, check up on your progress, etc. And to repeat what I said before, view-counts are very very important.
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
HTFCirno2000

Post by HTFCirno2000 »

raocow confirmed for Reimu 2015.

In all seriousness, everyone who is someone on youtube has been doing patreon and I'd love to see raocow do this!
Though I'm having a hard time imagining raocow videos with outros like "Become a patron for me on Patreon!" xD
warpio

Post by warpio »

I think this is a cool idea. patreon isn't as pretentious as kickstarter since there are no goals that have to be achieved before you'll deliver anything. it's just saying "hey if you like my stuff please contribute whatever amount you feel like, thanks".

and to make things more interesting you could make your "LP backlog" public and have the patreon supporters vote on which games out of those they'd like to see LP'd next.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That would be a good idea. Have us choose the B side, out of whatever options raocow gives us.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

warpio wrote: and to make things more interesting you could make your "LP backlog" public and have the patreon supporters vote on which games out of those they'd like to see LP'd next.
Hmm, I'm actually liking this idea a lot.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

raocow wrote:
warpio wrote: and to make things more interesting you could make your "LP backlog" public and have the patreon supporters vote on which games out of those they'd like to see LP'd next.
Hmm, I'm actually liking this idea a lot.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

what the

you can't put a joke as your location on patreon!!

that's it, patreon project cancelled, sorry about this kids.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

aww too bad...

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Assuming you're being serious, that's a shame.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by 128-Up »

seems like a bit of a fickle thing to stop this line of thought over (unless I'm missing something important)
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

rip

guys seriously do you know who you're talking about

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

the problem is that raocow doesnt physically exist
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by 128-Up »

Blivsey wrote:

guys seriously do you know who you're talking about

...not really?
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It might only display the name of the hometown. I can't really see addresses on the front pages of other patreons.