(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Kukironosuke »

ok, here is my official Zelda Roth trilogy suggestion with pictures

These 3 games are unofficial sequels to ALTTP made by french programmer Vincent Jouillat in C++ and translated by his friend Lobaluz, the first game is a bit amateurish but still great with some nice puzzles and exploration

You don't need an emulator, a rom, gamemaker, or any engine to run this, just download and play
You can press f1 in game to read the controls to playing the game

you don't need to play all 3 games to enjoy any of them, each of them could be played individually but they are all great

here are the 3 title cards for the games, the art and music in this game is great, with songs from many zelda games, as well as songs from non-zelda games, and some re-mixes if i remember correctly

ROTH

OLB

3T

here is the first boss fight in the 2nd game, borrowed from another SNES title

here is an example of the custom "bestiary" logs a-la final fantasy that exists in all 3 games, you get rewards for killing and completing X number of enemies

here is the achievements page on the 1st and 3rd game, as you can see the 3rd game tracks achievement data from the first 2 games, my best time for 3T is 27 hours, but the speed run challenge is under 7 hours

the ultimate rank is for low hearts/low defense/low upgrades run with no deaths

and here is a cool fishing mini game from 3T, you can catch different breeds of fish in different sections of the world map and you get rewards for completing sections of it like the bestiary

This game has some really tricky but fun/not impossible puzzles of all kinds, and the combat can be as easy or hard as you want it to be depending on how many hearts or defense items(shield/amulets/etc) you get, and some bosses are brutal no matter how strong you are, but can be defeated through smart fighting instead of the brute force method

http://www.zeldaroth.fr/us/index.php - here is a link to the website for anyone who is willing to try it

and i promise this will be my last post on these games for a while O.O i hope you like it/give it a shot
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:So the top five are gonna be played in reverse order, but it's gonna be similare to round 1 in that I may/will slip a different game between them as I see fit, either on a whim or because I really really want to play something, or like an 'important' game gets released Day in the Limelight 3 or Distorted Travesty 3, or something.
DT3 is supposed to be released before the end of July iirc.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

So I did kinda request this in a patreon post, but I don't think I ever 'officially' put it down, Mario and Luigi's Superstar saga is neat and I think raocow would dig it despite his usual stance on RPGs. :P
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yes, that is a good game. But it's being LP'd by Lucahjin and Chuggaaconroy right now, and I believe he still has an aversion to games that have been already 'done' by other (Cave Story being a prime example). This may have changed when we started waving money in his face, I don't know.

Also, raocow, when are you going to get rid of that poll?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

never. it is going to be a mystery to be decoded by future archeologists
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

there anywhere non-patrons can see the poll results, at least?
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Parama wrote:there anywhere non-patrons can see the poll results, at least?

raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Okay, I need to get my breath back for a minute.

Either way, I think raocow should play a new hack on SMW Central, Piranha Island:

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=11650

It doesn't sound like much from the name, but damn. This game is atmospheric to a tee. The graphics are pretty well blended, the visual effects are fantastic, the music is blood pumping to an extreme (and rather loud through most of it). And the level design is fun. Hard as nails, yes. But fun regardless, like Scarlet Devil Mario's higher difficulties or the Hyper series.

Honestly, it's a pretty darn fun game to play, and arguably what Scarlet Devil Mario's Lunatic World or S Mario's levels in general should have been like.
SnackJackSJ
*Pressing controller buttons and plucking guitar strings furiously*
First name: Adam

Post by SnackJackSJ »

"Bowser's Cataclysmic Trap" on SMWCentral is sorta the same way. Except not nearly as hard as is being described haha there. I'm about halfway through it myself and it seems to mostly contain rompy levels. At least it has up to this point.
Whoa! Jack plays Mario Hacks?!
peace, love, and music
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

raocow wrote:So the top five are gonna be played in reverse order, but it's gonna be similare to round 1 in that I may/will slip a different game between them as I see fit, either on a whim or because I really really want to play something, or like an 'important' game gets released Day in the Limelight 3 or Distorted Travesty 3, or something.
Oh wow, I knew you were fond of Distorted Travesty, but I didn't know you liked it that much. It means a lot to see that.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Kukironosuke wrote: here is the first boss fight in the 2nd game, borrowed from another SNES title

Secret of Mana?
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Anyway, now that raocow played even RPG(Startropics)(I know it is more like puzzle game), I am wondering if I can suggest these two...
Lufia II(no, not Lufia, also not the NDS version)
Earthbound

Maybe not.

Iris Syndrome
Ib

At least you can try these two(and Lufia II)(I believe that you tried Earthbound already, so I don't need to mention again)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Startropics is more of an action-adventure game
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Coryman »

If you ever need just a quick one-off thing, there's this flash game called "denudation" that I've always found inexplicably fun. It's probably beatable in under 10 minutes, though maybe a tiny bit more if you go for both endings? It's also a good one for a copy-kitty-esque destroy the world sorta thing...
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
HealthyMario

Post by HealthyMario »

I suggest raocow giving a popular flash game agar.io a try since it's relaxing and has no goals whatsoever.
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

There was only one official remake of the first Zelda game, and it was on SNES, called Zelda BS (no, not that kind of BS)
It was only released in Japan, I believe, and with an attachment called Satellaview for the SNES, but a google search for Zelda BS ROM seems to get it to load roms that would work in ZSNES or whatever.
Since it's so unheard of and would gather such interest, it's my suggestion for a Zelda game.
Trivia: Who knew the original dungeon song was intended to sound like a church organ? Spiffy!
Also, this one had altered dungeons and it let you choose a male or female main character (Zelda?), so that might be who you're seeing in this video.
Last edited by Psycrow 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

That one's more of a sequel, and there's also one that serves as a sequel to LTTP (which is in 4 short "episodes", interestingly enough for its time)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Can I just say that I feel like raocow would have the TIME OF HIS LIFE with Castle In The Darkness? It's a metroidvania with plenty of explory fun and secrets, it's super fast-paced and it's a pretty decent challenge. But fun as heck, holy hell.
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Parama wrote:Can I just say that I feel like raocow would have the TIME OF HIS LIFE with Castle In The Darkness? It's a metroidvania with plenty of explory fun and secrets, it's super fast-paced and it's a pretty decent challenge. But fun as heck, holy hell.
That does look like a fairly yummy game, about on par with Shovel Knight from what I've seen. (Although Shovel Knight had some humor involved too, not sure with this one)
Last edited by Psycrow 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
Crow

Post by Crow »

I don't think it's anything like Shovel Knight to be honest, you're way more squishy in this game but checkpoints are pretty frequent. The game makes a lot of references to older games, definitely, though it doesn't really have as much humor or dialogue at all.

I haven't actually beaten it yet, 60% or so according to the game right now, so :lol:
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

TWO marios????????? what is this madness???? of course, let's do it
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I can't respond to the poll because there is no "what is this madness" option
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i voted very yes
Kukironosuke wrote:here is the first boss fight in the 2nd game, borrowed from another SNES title

oh hi tropicallo (tommy wiseau voice)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
momo

Post by momo »

Play Chex Quest
Also, were you ever planning on playing the other Parodius games?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

What does mario mean

SMW + SMW = yes
SMW + SMBX = no
SMBX + SMBX = reported to police