(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Crow »

can i request a one-off of "You Have to Burn the Rope"

i think it's time this one is brought back
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

v/orld was just released (still waiting for moderation). From the submission page:

"This is a collaboration hack created by 4chan's /v/ from December 6th, 2019 to February 2nd, 2020. It showcases the work of over a dozen anonymous authors. While some levels are more vanilla inspired, others embrace more custom ASM elements. There are 41 levels, and 46 exits in total. Yoshi Coins save at midpoints, and at the end of levels too. You can also save your game any time by pressing Start on the Overworld."

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=22081

Upon hearing of this, I was worried about vulgar and immature content at first. While there is a small amount unfortunately, I played through it and found the hack to be tons of fun, and the authors and organizers seem to have really put in good effort to make a nice hack. There is great variability in quality, as once may expect, but others may argue that this only adds to the charm. I think it is worth a playthrough some day in the future (after it passes moderation, as there have been a few bugs noted).
Crow

Post by Crow »

gbreeze wrote: 4 years ago4chan
can i veto this. can we collectively veto this. please
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

how about we veto YOUR rope-burning fanaticism huh
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I have bad news for you about the website Vip comes from
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

I know I know, trust me I get it. I don't like 4chan and their culture, so I was skeptical. But as a fan of hacking, I had to play it, and I ended up really enjoying it. A lot of people on SMWC who dislike or don't browse 4chan gave the hack a try and also enjoyed it. But I understand if you want to veto it, I definitely get it

Edit: the references that are a tad questionable are similar to the VIPs, I don't think anything is worse than what has been referenced in those hacks
Last edited by gbreeze 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean yeah like 2chan can also be real terrible
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Worst I've seen out of the hack was

pepes with a donger as an enemy in one level

and

I♥ロリ written out in line guides

so they've toned it down more or less. (spoilers for rao)

I've played World 1 (at the castle) and it feels pretty nice, closer to the VIPs than anything else. Helps that most of the people working on it had never made a level before.

And rest assured I don't like 4chan. Not only is the site a fucking pain to frequent with its toxicity but it's the cause of the rise of neo-nazis in the past decade.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If he's gonna play it then imo it has to be a censored version. seeing pepe the frog would probably make things uncomfortable for some.

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow

Post by Crow »

i mean yeah probably shouldn't be playing the vips in 2020 either if that's the point you're trying to make
i just don't see any positive outcome here
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago i mean yeah probably shouldn't be playing the vips in 2020 either if that's the point you're trying to make
i just don't see any positive outcome here
lping the game doesnt mean endorsing the site
SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago

If he's gonna play it then imo it has to be a censored version. seeing pepe the frog would probably make things uncomfortable for some.

He's the entire gimmick of one stage
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Leet

Post by Leet »

i think you cant browse 4chan without getting brain worms but i still think you guys are being really weird about this. raocow's played lots of games from trashy sources before, we don't have to be afeared of it unless the content is just an excuse for hate or whatever
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i just don't like the thought of free promotion for crappy people

is there any indication the romhack is anything special anyways. it sounds like "just another romhack".
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Leet wrote: i think you cant browse 4chan without getting brain worms but i still think you guys are being really weird about this. raocow's played lots of games from trashy sources before, we don't have to be afeared of it unless the content is just an excuse for hate or whatever
I'm kind of in agreement here. I mean, the only time raocow has "censored" anything was when it was something in clear violation of YouTube's ToS (I'm thinking the jerking off bit from Craz'd or its sequel?). I don't think it's worth changing just because of the appearance of such iconography.

Besides, we deal with crappy people everyday anyway, so what difference does it make?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago i mean yeah probably shouldn't be playing the vips in 2020 either
uh oh sisters
Crow

Post by Crow »

i don't know why you're presenting that as if it invalidates my point
Leet

Post by Leet »

I don't deal in that kind of non sense where "points" get "invalidated".

But are you gonna object to the continued playing of vip? Do it if that's your belief. But in the past, when I objected to playing hacks from awful people, I was mostly talked down to and nobody agreed with me at all. Any line you think might be crossed by this 4chan hack has already been crossed before. And I'm not saying this to say that things shouldn't have been played in the past. Just that it's arbitrary to be suddenly objecting right now just because 4chan is more infamous. The talkhaus is, unfortunately, not a haven entirely disconnected from places like that.
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

lol I made the first level. I watched a drunk streamer play it just now and realized, I made this level way too long. also I wanna point out that not every 4chan board is /pol/. most boards I browse people get fed up with /pol/ users invading threads.
Last edited by LatexHydra 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Given a lack of a trailer, a LP video will have to do.

DuLuDubi Star is a knockoff of Super Mario Galaxy starring a Chinese mascot character.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

The organizer of the collab saw some of the posts here and messaged me this. If more people prefer that a censored version be played, it looks like the organizer is willing to put one together.

Cyril wrote: is there any indication the romhack is anything special anyways. it sounds like "just another romhack".
Sorry, I probably should have been more specific about in my first post about why this is worth being played, other than "it's nice" and "it exists".

The hack invokes similar feelings to the VIPs with anonymous authors and the feeling of never knowing what type of level you will encounter, which is something raocow said he's enjoyed I think. There is a mixture of "my first experiment with LM" levels (which are sometimes haphazardly put together but usually very charming) and more advanced levels, which creates a fun experience that you only get in these sorts of collabs. The level quality is pretty high, the beginner levels sometimes feel like earlygame VIP levels, the advanced levels seem to have been inspired by VLDC and/or JUMP 1/2 levels. There's a couple levels with spectacular ASM gimmicks that were so new and interesting to me that I think it's worth a playthrough just for that. Comparing this to the VIPs, I think the VIPs are in a class of their own, and this hack doesn't reach the level of charm or reach that those hacks did. But it's still an extremely unique hack compared to most hacks released recently, with a very similar feeling to the VIPs, and I do think raocow would enjoy the level design and hack style. That's why I think this hack is special.

Edit: it was also brought to my attention that several authors were really hoping for raocow to play it, so there's that as well
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I mean, I haven't played or seen anything in this hack outside of what was posted here, and don't see too much issue in a hack made by people of 4chan. My issue mainly is

the inclusion of pepe the frog

, which might be a problem/upset some people.

Different community, but I'm currently playing on a modded minecraft server that recently banned someone for using

pepe the frog

as their skin, with the mods apologizing to anyone who was made to feel unsafe seeing that skin. I'm not sure of the feeling of others who watch raocow, but I doubt raocow (or even the mods of the talkhaus) would want anyone to feel hurt or unsafe because of an LP that included an image that largely now has negative connotations and arguably some find offensive.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I feel like that's a crutch. There's a difference between "discomfort" and blatant bigotry. And like Leet said, raocow's played some stuff that makes that seem mild in comparison. A small warning would suffice if it's really necessary to address that.

Still, if the devs want to make edits for the sake of having this LP'd, that's cool. I'm okay with whatever.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Gonna be the odd one out and say you know who is just a blank slate to me.

Like, they mean nothing by themselves, and they're only given an inherent meaning by modification. And even then it depends on what kind. Any meaning assumed by the viewer by the mere appearance of the character is on them.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

From a personal standpoint, I have to believe that anyone in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty that is taking part in a 4chan community effort that includes that particular icon has to know exactly what message is being conveyed and that they are party to conveying it.

From a realism/cynical standpoint, if raoguy doesn't think playing such a game will result in meaningful loss of e-clout and/or patabucks, then *shrug*

I do imagine that, if this game gets played, a modified version would be necessary based on what Koba said because even stuff like Rabi-Ribi didn't go as far as

exposed genitalia

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

sajewers, while i would never contest that pepe has been appropriated as a hate symbol by a lot of people, the way yuo're talking about it like that means nobody ever sees him in any other context or like many would have a ptsd flashback if they saw him seems bizarre at best and patronizing at worst. this seems like the most tame content described to me in the hack ; imo "I LOVE LOLI" is enormously more uncomfortable for example.

i think an edited version of the hack itself would be conceding that the hack is Too Evil 2 Be Played anyway, which would make playing it a moot point.

Also idk Kilg, VIP and Mbibli both went that far lol. And got to be kept on-screen on YT!