(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Leet »

more like metal gear maglx
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Posting this while it's still fresh in my mind, feel free to ignore it until after the SotN LP I'm pretty sure is going to happen.
Play Skullmonkeys.
It's the platformer sequel to 1996 point-and-click adventure game The Neverhood, because for some reason they decided to follow up a point-and-click adventure with a platformer. It being a sequel, naturally it shares The Neverhood's claymation visuals and general wackiness all over the place.
Gameplay-wise, for the most part it plays like your standard platformer, except with a bit of a strategic element where you have limited usage of several abilities you can use to shoot at your enemies from a distance, basically conduct science, nuke everybody, etc. and the game gets difficult enough that you're probably going to want them.
Game-overing (which is pretty likely in a blind playthrough) just puts you back at the start of the level, so lives generally aren't that much of a concern.
It's also fairly short - I just played through it to confirm I had it emulating properly, it took me about 2:40. (Also I do have it emulating properly, aside from a few minor audio glitches I didn't even really notice until the final boss but they're pretty much a non-issue.)

I don't know if an LP would be the best thing or the worst thing, but I'm practically swimming in curiosity here wondering.
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Post by BuzzNBen »

Super Mario World Central's VLDC hack was actually pretty good and I played it.
Definitely think that it should be raocow's next lp.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Also I do have it emulating properly, aside from a few minor audio glitches I didn't even really notice until the final boss but they're pretty much a non-issue.
What emulator are you using? If you're using ePSXe, you should definitely switch to PCSX-Reloaded. It's a fork of ePSXe that gets updated, unlike ePSXe. Unfortunately for most people the Mac & Linux versions get updated more than the PC version but it's still better than ePSXe. You could also try new sound plugins: This page details the recommended plugins for each part of PCSX-Reloaded & ePSXe if you want to stick with that for some reason. Generally though you should never use the ePSXe core plugins: they're all suboptimal.

If you're still having issues with accuracy, or don't want to fool around with plugins, you could try Mednafen, which doesn't use plugins and is more accurate. However, it does have a few drawbacks:
1. It can't render graphics with a graphics card, which places much more load on your processor. Unless you have at least a Core 2 Duo, don't bother.
2. Its upscaler is very buggy, so you pretty much have to play at native resolution.
3. Its texture upscaler is also very buggy, so if you like upscaling your games rather than playing them as they originally looked it's not very good either.
4. It can only run .cue files (which need a .bin file) so if you have ISOs you'll need to do some converting first.
5. There's no graphical frontend unless you download a third-party one. Changes have to be done manually to the .cfg file but luckily the default settings are fine.

Personally I'd recommend Mednafen. It also includes the best Virtual Boy, Turbo-Grafx 16/PC-Engine & PC-FX emulators, and forks of Handy, Visual Boy Advance, Neo Pop, FCE Ultra, bsnes, Cygne, Genesis Plus & SMS Plus, although the forks of bsnes & Genesis Plus are suboptimal & FCE Ultra is bad anyway. It's all-around pretty useful.

If you want comparisons that are familiar to this forum, here's the skinny on PSX emulators:
ePSXe with the default core plugins = ZSNES
PCSX-Reloaded with the best plugins = SNES9X
Mednafen = halfway between SNES9X & bsnes
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Doctor Shemp wrote:[stuff]
I used PCSX-Reloaded. And I might look into switching around plugins some more to see if it fixes anything, but I'm pretty sure my current configuration is the best I'm going to get, I tried pretty much every combination of plugins I could think of in ePSXe and a few different sound plugins in PCSX-R and this is the only setup I've found that doesn't loop the music early or sound like it's coming out of a radio from the 1950s.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:[stuff]
I used PCSX-Reloaded. And I might look into switching around plugins some more to see if it fixes anything, but I'm pretty sure my current configuration is the best I'm going to get, I tried pretty much every combination of plugins I could think of in ePSXe and a few different sound plugins in PCSX-R and this is the only setup I've found that doesn't loop the music early or sound like it's coming out of a radio from the 1950s.
It's worth giving Mednafen a spin. In my experience the two most common errors in PCSX-R that Mednafen fixes are sound issues and textures popping in and out. Sound in general just seems hard to get right with plugins, whether it's music not looping correctly, sound having the wrong sample rate, sound going out of sync with the video, or in one memorable case for me playing entirely the wrong sound file, so I had a cutscene playing with sound from a different cutscene.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I tried using mednafen. Can't even get the exe to run.

Edit: Scratch that found a thing called medgui that seems to let me use it.
Edit2: Oh I just realized I tried playing a game for a system it couldn't emulate. Oh man am I good.
Last edited by pholtos 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Doctor Shemp wrote:It's worth giving Mednafen a spin. In my experience the two most common errors in PCSX-R that Mednafen fixes are sound issues and textures popping in and out. Sound in general just seems hard to get right with plugins, whether it's music not looping correctly, sound having the wrong sample rate, sound going out of sync with the video, or in one memorable case for me playing entirely the wrong sound file, so I had a cutscene playing with sound from a different cutscene.
I've tried Mednafen before and couldn't get it to work at all, though admittedly it's been a long time since I've really made an actual serious attempt at it.
But I tried that sound plugin mentioned on that page you linked earlier and it seems like it might have fixed everything anyway. I'll have to run through the game again to confirm nothing else broke, but the music loops correctly and the audio in the final boss doesn't cut out or anything.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

pholtos wrote:I tried using mednafen. Can't even get the exe to run.

Edit: Scratch that found a thing called medgui that seems to let me use it.
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that you don't double-click the exe to run it. You drag and drop the game file you want to play on to the exe and it'll detect what system it is and launch the appropriate emulator. For some emulators, such as the PlayStation one, you'll need to find the BIOS files elsewhere and put them in the firmware folder first though. The page I linked has links to BIOS files. It also has a setup guide.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Here's an interesting game raocow could try:

http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16343

It's called Super Mario Country, and despite the name, is a pretty neat Super Mario Land 2 style Mario fan game. It's got lots of retro style graphics that could come straight out of the original game (but don't), a soundtrack made about 50% from the first game's music and about 50% of new tunes in the same style, and quite a few interesting level ideas (like a feudal Japan style world and what not).

Could be a fun short game to try in between longer projects.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Speaking of Mario Fan Games Galaxy, they have a GM6 to Vista conveter on their site:
http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&par ... 6&id=12637

You expressed interest in Soldexus? You'll need this. It's made by Mark Overmars himself. He originally posted this in some forum for Yoyogames, but that link is long dead. Thank goodness MMFG found it.
Sorry I took so long to test this. I had actually confirmed it worked on my Dad's laptop, which runs Vista, some time ago, but I waited until I got 7 for myself. Which I just did.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

[1:43:02] DJ Coco: i never thought super mario country would be suggested
[1:43:40] Chris: lol
[1:43:43] Chris: me neither

So yeah, I agree with this suggestion even if the guy who made it is a big jerky poopoo face.
Tance

Post by Tance »

Apparently TSRP2 had an update that I never knew about until today, and the guys on the IRC say it was released at C3, but just putting it out there that, y'know, one of the classics is back??? I dunno.
http://www.fpi-productions.de/tsrp2.html
If you wanna play it, you know what to do, I guess??
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Mr. raocow makes repeated use of the English word for "inferno", so why not?

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
glitch4

Post by glitch4 »

Probably raocow should do TSRP2R , because he released re-replay of TSRPR 9 months ago.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I thought we already saw enough of TSRP* in general
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

my main problem is that there are a lot of differences between tsrp and tsrpr, but I don't know if there are a lot of meaningful differences between tsrp2 and tsrp2r, since the latter was already pretty feature-complete and overall 'good'...
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
CM30

Post by CM30 »

raocow wrote:my main problem is that there are a lot of differences between tsrp and tsrpr, but I don't know if there are a lot of meaningful differences between tsrp2 and tsrp2r, since the latter was already pretty feature-complete and overall 'good'...
Based on my playthroughs of both the original TSRP2 and the remake, there are definitely a few major dfferences (for example, a few bosses have been switched around and Zycloboo isn't battled in the first three worlds or so any more), but from what I can tell it's mostly graphical/music changes with the rest being the kind of minor things changed between Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario Advance (aka tiny level design changes meant make some levels more playable/fun).

Personally, I'd want to see some newer games first. Some which you haven't played in any form in the past and which let us see your reactions to all new challenges and things.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Hey raocow you should play MaGKL X, it's not as hard as that kaizo level from A2MT
(probably)
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

raocow wrote:my main problem is that there are a lot of differences between tsrp and tsrpr, but I don't know if there are a lot of meaningful differences between tsrp2 and tsrp2r, since the latter was already pretty feature-complete and overall 'good'...
I moderated TSRP2R and this was an incomplete list of differences minus the obvious aesthetic changes.

- Levels have multiple checkpoints (some have up to three of them), but their usage/placement is still pretty inconsistent.
- Some levels were merged. (Saws, for example.)
- Some levels were renamed or moved around. Most notably: that huge descent level that you got mad about, Hotel Horror, Darkness and Cursed Fountain.
- The first Zycloboo battle is now in World 4.
- More boss fights in certain levels
- There's an extra level that you can stumble upon earlier than you're "expected" to.
- Plot has been expanded upon even more so than normal to include a new second banana, Marty Mole (from TSRPR's Chaos Complexx, and Lemmy. Peach's already limited role in TSRP2 is even more diminished.
- Catgoom Kingdom is now mandatory for the Good Ending. Yes, there's actual multiple (non-canon) endings now.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

you know what would be a good game to play?(but cause community raeg because of its source material)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQeay-_0gkE
Image Image
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Mabel wrote:you know what would be a good game to play?(but cause community raeg because of its source material)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQeay-_0gkE
I played it... It's actually a good game. Dinosaurs are just the theme. Ignore it if your're not into it (Or spend 200 bolts gems and buy the Mega Man "skin"). More people should give it a chance.

Because it's giving me a chance to self-promote...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCleU6P ... IGUXCccUqj
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Darkonius64 »

http://www.supermariobrosx.org//forums/ ... =59&t=5130

Tower of Biased 7!
now featuring:

-Frozen jokes
-Forum jokes
-optional tier 1
-a GIGANTIC hub that goes all over the place (desert, ice, grass, caves) and a LOT of events.
-bosses! (duh)
-More Frozen jokes!
-Ignoritus in an Elsa costume! (no i'm dead serious)
-forum users in the hub! (including me :3)
-other stuff that i didn't mention.

...well even if i'm suggesting this he'll not play this i suppose...
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Darkonius64 wrote:http://www.supermariobrosx.org//forums/ ... =59&t=5130

Tower of Biased 7!
now featuring:

-Frozen jokes
-Forum jokes
-optional tier 1
-a GIGANTIC hub that goes all over the place (desert, ice, grass, caves) and a LOT of events.
-bosses! (duh)
-More Frozen jokes!
-Ignoritus in an Elsa costume! (no i'm dead serious)
-forum users in the hub! (including me :3)
-other stuff that i didn't mention.

...well even if i'm suggesting this he'll not play this i suppose...
To be honest, I'd rather raocow stay away from any series with too many installments, at least ones he's not kept up to date with thus far.

Otherwise there's a feeling that he has to play all the series in order to appreciate it, and with a lot of series with larger installments (like this one), that means spending years of LP videos on the same series rather than something a bit more new and original.

It's why I don't ever suggest he play the Sig World games, cause there are so many time he'd take forever to get through them all. More fun to see raocow take on different kinds of games, preferrably somewhat shorter ones.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

CM30 wrote:To be honest, I'd rather raocow stay away from any series with too many installments, at least ones he's not kept up to date with thus far.

Otherwise there's a feeling that he has to play all the series in order to appreciate it (...)
Uh, these are contests (see: MaGLX), not a series of SMBX episodes.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*