(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Crow »

it's basically a DKC spiritual successor with a zelda-esque overworld? made by former rare developers so you know. might be up rao's alley
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago throwing this here incase raocow is interested

just posting to notify people that were interested that it's now out

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Has Spyro trilogy come up as a request yet? Now that raocow is getting more experience with 3D games with Crash games (and A Hat in Time in upcoming future) maybe he'll enjoy Spyro too.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I think he would enjoy it

but the fight with dr shemp sure would be awkward on here lol

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: request grab-doggie bag

Post by Awoo »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I think he would enjoy it

10/10 would watch
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I think he would enjoy it

do it anyway
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow

Post by Crow »

did that user get banned at some point or something
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yes
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I finally got around to re-finishing La-Mulana 2, and am pleased to report the bugs that had plagued prior patches appear to be fully stamped out. All should be good for when raocow decides he's ready to return.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years agoI finally got around to re-finishing La-Mulana 2, and am pleased to report the bugs that had plagued prior patches appear to be fully stamped out. All should be good for when raocow decides he's ready to return.
Is it still as endlessly infuriating to bother with as it was? The last field in particular was total garbage but about 90% of the trap setups in the game were tedious and frustrating rather than actually any good.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: 4 years agoI finally got around to re-finishing La-Mulana 2, and am pleased to report the bugs that had plagued prior patches appear to be fully stamped out. All should be good for when raocow decides he's ready to return.
Is it still as endlessly infuriating to bother with as it was? The last field in particular was total garbage but about 90% of the trap setups in the game were tedious and frustrating rather than actually any good.
I do not share your opinion.
I had a great time replaying it.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Please take a look at Yooka Laylee Impossible lair if you can. It is probably the best platformer I ever played, and I don't mean that lightly.
Crow

Post by Crow »

...I'm glad you're enjoying it but to me the level design feels stunningly mediocre, shrug

The final level is just plain bad though. Both in design and at a conceptual level.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago ...I'm glad you're enjoying it but to me the level design feels stunningly mediocre, shrug

The final level is just plain bad though. Both in design and at a conceptual level.
I mean, if you can't stand marathon levels, I can understand why you wouldn't like it conceptually.

As for design, though, I'm guessing you got hit 51 times and lost? I've seen the thing being played, the design seemed just fine to me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago ...I'm glad you're enjoying it but to me the level design feels stunningly mediocre, shrug

To each their own. To me the levels are fantastic and really fun to platform through. Even that windmill level that looked boring at first ended up becoming one of my favorite levels. Impossible Lair feels like a proper follow up to the Classic DKC trilogy.

I highly disagree with the quality of the Impossible Lair itself. I have only been up to 47% through it so far but it has some of the best platforming sections in the entire game. It’s all very demanding but also very fair (every time I lose a bee it feels like my own fault) and the Lair feels conquerable with enough bees and practice. I also like returning to it every once in a while to see how far I can get.
Archived

Post by Archived »

Archived
Last edited by Archived 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago

I mean, if you can't stand marathon levels, I can understand why you wouldn't like it conceptually.

As for design, though, I'm guessing you got hit 51 times and lost? I've seen the thing being played, the design seemed just fine to me.
is it hard? yes
is it fair? mostly, i guess. some bits seem a tad bs but w/e
is it fun? no, not at all. the platforming just doesn't feel good. it's very smw romhack-y in a bad way. sure, the thing i'm doing is hard and takes precision to do well and it's learnable but it's not, like, a fun hard. celeste is a fun hard. dustforce is a fun hard. rayman origins gets to be that right level of fun hard towards its endgame & secret level. you can make a perfectly fine and fair level that's still badly designed in the sense that it's full of slow moving platforming and loads of waiting around or dodging slow cycles, and basically slight variations on the same boss fight 4 times

but also being a marathon level doesn't help, yes
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago
Grounder wrote: 4 years ago

is it hard? yes
is it fair? mostly, i guess. some bits seem a tad bs but w/e
is it fun? no, not at all. the platforming just doesn't feel good. it's very smw romhack-y in a bad way. sure, the thing i'm doing is hard and takes precision to do well and it's learnable but it's not, like, a fun hard. celeste is a fun hard. dustforce is a fun hard. rayman origins gets to be that right level of fun hard towards its endgame & secret level. you can make a perfectly fine and fair level that's still badly designed in the sense that it's full of slow moving platforming and loads of waiting around or dodging slow cycles, and basically slight variations on the same boss fight 4 times

but also being a marathon level doesn't help, yes
I find this interesting. I personally find the platforming in the Lair to be very enjoyable. It may even be my favorite level. But I may change my mind when I start taking serious attempts. So far my high score is 50%. The third B fight is tough.

I think that the B fights are varied enough. He introduces a plethora of new attacks each time to keep the fight fresh.

EDIT: Then again, Crash 1 is my favorite of the original Crash trilogy and that is filled with what you described so take that what you will.

EDIT 2: There are some platformers that everyone seems to like and I hated as well. For example I thought that BattleBlock Theater was terrible despite its positive reception. I didn’t like Shovel Knight either. Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair was pretty well received and you thought it was mediocre. Different strokes for different folks.

EDIT 4: Just tried the Lair again to see what you were talking about and analyze it more closely. Outside of the elevator bits I honestly don't see what you're talking about. The Impossible Lair has a good flow to it and it feels good to get through each section.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

11clock wrote: 4 years ago I thought that BattleBlock Theater was terrible despite its positive reception.
Oh thank god there's someone else that thinks that game is a mess, we must be kindre...
11clock wrote: 4 years ago I didn’t like Shovel Knight either.
You are dead to me
11clock

Post by 11clock »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago
11clock wrote: 4 years ago I thought that BattleBlock Theater was terrible despite its positive reception.
Oh thank god there's someone else that thinks that game is a mess, we must be kindre...
11clock wrote: 4 years ago I didn’t like Shovel Knight either.
You are dead to me
I really liked Specter of Torment though. That enough for forgiveness? :>
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

obvious solution is to have raocow play it and see which of you he agrees with (loser buys pizza)
11clock wrote: 4 years ago
Then again, Crash 1 is my favorite of the original Crash trilogy and that is filled with what you described so take that what you will.
wow
11clock

Post by 11clock »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago obvious solution is to have raocow play it and see which of you he agrees with (loser buys pizza)
11clock wrote: 4 years ago
Then again, Crash 1 is my favorite of the original Crash trilogy and that is filled with what you described so take that what you will.
wow
I really liked Crash 2 until the last two worlds, then the game suddenly became godawful with really cheap level design and difficulty (the bee levels, the jet pack levels, the factory levels).

Crash 3 was just felt lacking in level design, felt too easy and levels had too much “empty” space. Just thought that the game was a bit boring.

I like Crash 1’s difficulty and sense of rhythm in its level design. Thus my favorite.

Note I didn’t 100% any of the games. I am not a completionist.
Crow

Post by Crow »

I'm amused we can agree that BattleBlock Theater is one of the worst 2D platformers of all time if nothing else

But it gets a free pass from the rabble because "it's funny" (it isn't at all)

Also I worry impossible lair will have a Pantheon of Hollownest problem because the last level is like, 20-25 minutes even if you play it perfectly apparently

Each failed attempt is a big timesink that's not really sustainable for an LP format