(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: request grab-bag

Post by raocow »

yes it's in the bucket
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

All is right with the world.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: request grab-bag of grub

Post by Awoo »

Ditocoaf wrote: 4 years ago Man, I can't bring myself to watch that Commander Keen trailer.

CK4 was my iconic childhood game. I still replay it occasionally for a hit of nostalgia.

A phone Commander Keen game in 2019 does not inspire optimism in my heart. It inspires dread.
It's... certainly a thing. A good one? I'm not going to get my hopes up.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

It looks cute, and a certain detail from the teaser implies that it's a sequel to the original series. Serieses. Whatever.

Why the poison slugs from Gnosticus IV are on Mars, we'll never know. Maybe Ol' Billy brought one over by accident? (It'd be in character for him at least)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man, billy sr is jacked
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago man, billy sr is jacked
i know he's a dreamboat. what the Fuck (i almost posted about it but then thought not to but your post gave me the courage to spill the beans)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

He is kinda hot
I mean huh
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Is that sepia photo a reference to the theory that Commander Keen is Wolfenstein dude's grandson? That's pretty good.

I'm also happy to learn that this is like a distant sequel, starring the kids of the original. Means the game is doing stuff on its own terms in its own space, which is a good sign. (It also somehow make me feel like it's more okay if the game is bad. Not sure why.)
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So...now that raocow has officially opened up the possibility of RPGs to LP...this request has to be made. It must be made

Final Fantasy V...in the form of Four Job Fiesta!

For those wondering what this is, spoiler below:
Four Job Fiesta is a summer charity event from that lasts from approximately Father's Day US (Mid-June) to the end of August. The event goes like this: Players start playing Final Fantasy V. However, by honorary/gentlemen's agreement, they are not allowed to fully utilize the Job System that is the core gameplay mechanic of the game. Instead, they are to tweet to a specific account known as Gilgabot specific hashtags to register for jobs upon each crystal they reach (except the first one, which you receive on registration). Players are given a total of four jobs from Gilgabot, one for each crystal, one for each character in the party. By honorary/gentlemen's agreement, players are to stick with those four jobs for the entire game. While there are multiple variables to play with in terms of jobs to get, that's the core concept. Any version of FFV is allowed, from the original SFC game to the Steam/Mobile remasters. Players are registered as victors after delivering a screencap of defeating the final boss to Gilgabot via Twitter. They may get optional accolades upon defeating certain other bosses. It is then recommended they donate to the charity in question, Child's Play.
Why this game in this format? Simple:
  1. This game is really goofy for a Final Fantasy game. Probably one of the few games in the series that you can seriously apply the "light-hearted" descriptor.
  2. By forcing four jobs, choice paralysis is gone. raocow works best when he doesn't have to make choices that have long-term gameplay consequences. In fact, for people who have never played FFV, Four Job Fiesta is a great way to get into the game and learn how it functions.
  3. Forcing four jobs also makes buying equipment easier, since he doesn't have to worry about buying certain armor or weapons.
  4. If raocow gets Berserker, it becomes a very raocow LP.

Due to the time-relative nature of this event, I would not recommend this for this year. Earliest would be Summer 2020, maybe even Summer 2021. Were it to occur though, I would:
  • Host the thread.
  • Provide raocow with an old abandoned Twitter account for purposes of getting his jobs so he doesn't have to get one himself (or handle registering jobs for him so he doesn't have to worry about it) while keeping the final party a secret.
  • Give only basic advice as well as a simple yes/no answer on whether his final party

can take on the optional bosses without serious grinding

• Organize some form of fundraising drive in the thread that will go direct to Child's Play.
It would be a fun summer B-side (or even C-side break) to do.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

this is kind of a half-request because the game is getting played

but

if rpgs are a thing now

will you play through

sonic chronicles

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

churine wrote: 4 years ago will you play through

sonic chronicles

BRACE YOUR EARS FOR IMPACT
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

please just play through ys and nothing more
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Ditocoaf wrote: 4 years agoIs that sepia photo a reference to the theory that Commander Keen is Wolfenstein dude's grandson? That's pretty good.
It's not just a theory.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

churine wrote: 4 years ago this is kind of a half-request because the game is getting played

but

if rpgs are a thing now

will you play through

sonic chronicles

Pretty sure this was on the list last time it was posted in discord
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years agoplease just play through ys and nothing more
If you mean the franchise and not just the first game then I totally agree. raocow has already played some Zelda if I recall correctly and the Ys games are more action-oriented than puzzle oriented so they'd suit his play style a bit more.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

just for reference:
Ys: Ancient Ys Vanished - Omen and Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter - Simple, short ARPGs, packaged together in most releases since the PC Engine CD/TurboGrafx CD port, with Ys I leading straight into II (once you

beat Dark Fact and rise into the sky

, you're done with Ys I). I advise the latest Steam port (Ys I&II Chronicles+ iirc).

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - A sidescrolling, super short ARPG along the veins of Xanadu, Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus, Zelda II... SNES version is a massive downgrade from the X68000 version, ported by Tonkin House and published by Sammy, it would basically foreshadow a series of pretty meh SNES Falcom ports to come from Tonkin House and Epoch (except like Brandish 1&2, which were by Koei). I have not yet played Mega Drive version, but it too is based on the X68k version. The TGCD port, based on the PC88 version, is honestly the best of the English versions.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - A remake of Ys III that turns it into an ARPG similar to the games released from Ys VI onward. Available on Steam.

Ys IV - During Ys IV's development, Falcom decided to hand out the general plot line to Tonkin House (who did the port of Ys III on SNES), Sega (who they had recently partnered up with to distribute games on Sega hardware) and Hudson (who handled the ports of several Falcom games for the PC Engine CD alongside Alfa System), and have them design the games and story themselves. The Sega CD game was cancelled due to issues with Sega Falcom, whilst the other two were released.

Mask of the Sun - Considered by most to be the weaker of the two, but seems to follow the original story the closest, by Tonkin House. Similar to the original Ys I&II, has a translation patch by Aeon Genesis. Also has a Japan-only port on the PS2 (alongside I, II, III and V), as it was considered to be the canon game.

Dawn of Ys - Preferred by most, took many liberties with the story, by Hudson Soft. Also a bump combat game, has a translation patch by Nightwolve (absolute weirdo, be careful around him) and a fandub patch for the voiced cutscenes by Burnt Lasagna.

Memories of Celceta - Much like Oath in Felghana, this is Falcom's spin on Ys IV, as if it were a modern Ys. Very different from either of the above in terms of story beats iirc, available on Steam.

Ys V: Kefin, Lost Kingdom of Sand - Falcom's first developed game for the Super Nintendo and their first Super Nintendo exclusive. A lot more Square-inspired than anything else, started the whole sword swinging and jumping instead of bump combat thing. Its lack of challenge combined with its short length drew ire from Japanese consumers due to its high price at the time. Personally, I think it's not bad. Has a translation patch by Aeon Genesis, released at the start of the decade. Also has a more challenging Expert version, but I'm not sure if the translation patch works with that one.

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim - The first modern Ys, and the first new Ys released after a long hiatus. Refines the standard ARPG combat and platforming from Ys V. Available on Steam.

Ys Origin - A prequel to Ys I that plays like Ys VI, does not star Adol (he's unlockable as a bonus from what I can gather?). Available on Steam.

Ys SEVEN - Formerly a PSP exclusive, one of the games that helped propel Ys' popularity in the west amongst modern gamers along with Origin's Steam port. You can play as Dogi! Available on Steam.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - A more traditional, slightly lengthier(?) ARPG featuring multiple playable characters! Sadly its been localized and ported by NIS and as a result the PC port and translation are quite... yeah. Available on Steam.
Image Image
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Man, there's a part of me that wants to see raocow try LPing one of the Tales of ____ RPGs from Namco, because I feel like the combat systems in those games would be right up raocow's alley. ...Then another part of me remembers that the Tales series as a whole is Extremely Anime, and I'm not sure that raocow probably struggling to take anything that happens seriously for 60+ hours would be a particularly good idea.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

that dlc is still coming
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That was announced forever ago, and was delayed into another forever (2020)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
New assets for a Kunio-kun series game... This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Mighty Gunvolt Burst, the sequel to the spinoff of Inti Creates games Mighty Gunvolt, becomes available on Steam on July 31st.

Let's play for this series possible now that it doesn't require consoles?
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

This might be a silly grab-bag request since it is definitely not obscure, but could Super Mario Maker 2's story mode be a fun LP? I feel like they do some quite cool and strange romhack feeling things, but in that Nintendo style of introducing a concept, then making it harder, then mixing it up, etc.

All this is assuming that whatever recording stuff that might be gotten for, say, later era All the Sonics, would work for SMM2.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote:
dear raocow please play digimon cyber sleuth & cyber sleuth hacker's memory when they come out on pc

you can only play rpgs now sorry that's the law
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: request grab-baggie

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
raocow wrote:
dear raocow please play digimon cyber sleuth & cyber sleuth hacker's memory when they come out on pc

you can only play rpgs now sorry that's the law
I'd suggest he starts with something earlier like maybe Digimon World 2 or 3
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image