(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: request grab-bag

Post by raocow »

yeah...
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

So like, I wasn't super hiding the fact that I suggested top 30/60 mainly so my level could be a part of the list, but I know like the vast majority of the JUMPers really just land on top 30 and users like levelengine and Gamma V land in the top 60.

BUT what I said was merely a request, not an obligation. Top 20 makes sense, that's where you can really get a feel of what all the entries are like. Personally my level feels just slightly overshadowed and thus I was curious if it was as good (or as bad) as I think it is. There's no hiding the fact I was being a little self-centered when making the suggestion, even though my suggestion benefits a few other users in the process. There's nothing wrong with requests (ironically with this being the request grab-bag).

In the end, I wouldn't be offended if he is doing Top 20. At most, my level is
a yoshi stage
combined with 1F0
with a non-serious story
that has 3 main sections with their own midpoints
and a boo boss combining yoshi and 1F0 which
ending off with a "final attack", which
sacrifices yoshi.
If the above spoiler sounds like an interesting level, then by all means play the Top 30/60/100/all. If it's not, then by all means do Top 20.

The last thing I want you to feel is
:aliceko:

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Implo wrote: 4 years ago I disagree with people who say that VLDC X has a lot of low quality levels. No, it's quite opposite. Though my level (Dolphin Bet) is good example of pure garbage and my first experience with Lunar Magic was very painful. Quality isn't the biggest problem of this contest. It's length and similarity.

Length - levels are twice longer and they really abuse 1up checkpoints and yoshi checkpoints too much. Also there is lots of really pointless secret exits that force player to redo the whole level and don't add anything to it.

Similarity - around 90% of levels uses the same main gimmick - 1F0 tiles. After playing 40 or even 80 levels with the same gimmick in the row, I just had a lot of the problem to continue playing rest.

That's all. The problem of this contest is playing all this levels in row, because most of the levels levels are still very well designed and have very good graphic and music. It's just playing them at once is very excruciating project.
What are 1up and Yoshi checkpoints?
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

If a temporary D side will bring you joy, then go for it!
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

TiKi wrote: 4 years agoWhat are 1up and Yoshi checkpoints?
You'll see... eventually.
1-up checkpoint - collecting the 4 secret 1-up locations will sudden summon a door the next time you re-enter the level.
Yoshi checkpoint - collecting all 4 yoshi/dragon coins will summon a door in place of one of the coins the next time you re-enter the level.

I should mention you can also technically pull off this trick with regular coins, the actual midpoint tile, and the 3-up moon. This results in having up to about 98 possible midpoints per level with 2 other sublevels.

Edit: OH WAIT you can do this with the switch palaces as well, so add another 4 and you get 102 midpoints. Of course, switch palaces aren't level specific, so you get one level with 102 midpoints, but if you had multiple levels each other level would have 98, and the coin midpoints would all be temporary and will reset from the overworld.

tl:dr
4 "global" midpoints
5 "level specific" midpoints
93 "good until death" midpoints
Last edited by Daizo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well I made it out of this four game recording sequence pretty alright, let's see if it's manageable long term :P

edit: for those who do want to watch or at least keep track of vldcx series, they will come online at 5:30am EST
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

So, what I'm getting is that this contest is like playing Mario Maker endless mode.
ImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Daizo wrote: 4 years ago If the above spoiler sounds like an interesting level, then by all means play the Top 30/60/100/all. If it's not, then by all means do Top 20.
just say you want raocow to play your level you dont have to excuse it

(im not shaming u btw)
Last edited by KobaBeach 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Daizo wrote: 4 years ago
TiKi wrote: 4 years agoWhat are 1up and Yoshi checkpoints?
You'll see... eventually.
1-up checkpoint - collecting the 4 secret 1-up locations will sudden summon a door the next time you re-enter the level.
Yoshi checkpoint - collecting all 4 yoshi/dragon coins will summon a door in place of one of the coins the next time you re-enter the level.

I should mention you can also technically pull off this trick with regular coins, the actual midpoint tile, and the 3-up moon. This results in having up to about 98 possible midpoints per level with 2 other sublevels.

Edit: OH WAIT you can do this with the switch palaces as well, so add another 4 and you get 102 midpoints. Of course, switch palaces aren't level specific, so you get one level with 102 midpoints, but if you had multiple levels each other level would have 98, and the coin midpoints would all be temporary and will reset from the overworld.

tl:dr
4 "global" midpoints
5 "level specific" midpoints
93 "good until death" midpoints
This sounds nightmarish. I'm reminded of all those old hacks like Bowser's Ultimate Labyrinth that had level timers with letters except... I don't think they used multiple midpoints, even the vanilla way
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago vip6 will never be worked further upon, when I get to it I will play the zombie version of it because I honestly believe there will never be further work done to it: as far as things are it's as 'finished' as it will ever be.
I thought that people weren't supposed to make videos of unfinished Vips though, it was against their policy. Not that there's anything wrong with breaking rules... but that is what I was pretty sure the rule was
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

what they gonna do, come round his house
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I mean, reading it generously their policy is against people recording "unfinished hacks" in the sense of "works in progress" - if raocow was trying to record it back in 2015 when it was half done and still had signs of life, that'd be against their reasonable wishes. In 2020, it's been "released" in its incomplete state for four years now and the corpse hasn't even twitched for a year or two, so let's just bring the zombie in and see what did get done.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

all the 2ch/5ch threads on smw hacking are dead anyway

people seem to be more frightful of nintendo ever since the whole nico takedown of thousands of hack vids and also mario maker 1&2 existing, the smw hacking wiki also doesnt get many visitors daily either. there are still a few jp hackers but the scene's peak is long gone.

kusamochi doing graphics and music, isikoro and naari lurking, abc_ore updating the glitch list, eternitylarva doing levels and asm, sig, seawar, maybe akaginite (though she's mostly working on her rabi ribi randomizer rn, she streams on twitch)
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago all the 2ch/5ch threads on smw hacking are dead anyway
oh hey just the lion I was looking for - it looks like most everything in English related to VIP6 and "do not record the unfinished game" comes back to your post on SMWC way back in 2015 so it's good to get your tacit approval given the changes over the past half-decade.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago all the 2ch/5ch threads on smw hacking are dead anyway

people seem to be more frightful of nintendo ever since the whole nico takedown of thousands of hack vids and also mario maker 1&2 existing, the smw hacking wiki also doesnt get many visitors daily either. there are still a few jp hackers but the scene's peak is long gone.

kusamochi doing graphics and music, isikoro and naari lurking, abc_ore updating the glitch list, eternitylarva doing levels and asm, sig, seawar, maybe akaginite (though she's mostly working on her rabi ribi randomizer rn, she streams on twitch)
Why did NND take down hack videos? And why hasn't raocow been hit with the same?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: it looks like most everything in English related to VIP6 and "do not record the unfinished game" comes back to your post on SMWC way back in 2015 so it's good to get your tacit approval given the changes over the past half-decade.
but im a pasty white bread bitch i shouldn't be speaking for the japanese lmao. c'mon son

(in the post) speaking of brutal if raocow doesnt uphold the "i'll play brutal mario when its finished" gentleman's agreement we had i will k word him (joke). i mean carol is active on twitter,,,,,,, it's just that they only post about japanese politics and pokémon go

before anyone asks, they seem to be center-left, i don't know how big leftist politics are amongst the japanese public in general considering the LDP wins every election and is center-right, you'd be better off asking a native than some white guy from europe

TiKi wrote: 4 years ago Why did NND take down hack videos? And why hasn't raocow been hit with the same?
i think it was nintendo copyrighting them, i forget exactly why raocow got away with it but i think nintendo of america+europe is more lenient on hacks existing so long as actual ROMs of them and official Mario games don't get distributed nowadays? they just content ID music and footage instead because the copyright system is Broken and Capitalistic

they seem to know about the online mario maker community it's only logical that they know about kaizo and shit

anyway i was watching JUMP recently as background noise for a toy story snes disassembly that im not sure i will finish + some final fantasy replays (finished 1, now at 2) and he actually brings this up in Pipes In Literally Everyone's Business when the kirby music starts to play
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago but im a pasty white bread bitch i shouldn't be speaking for the japanese lmao. c'mon son
what do you mean you're not a lion??? what the fuck.
ImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

oh yeah right. I am a lion, absolutely
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: it looks like most everything in English related to VIP6 and "do not record the unfinished game" comes back to your post on SMWC way back in 2015 so it's good to get your tacit approval given the changes over the past half-decade.
but im a pasty white bread bitch i shouldn't be speaking for the japanese lmao.
I mean, in the context of you previously speaking on their behalf back then... you're the one who posted the big red text warning since most people can't even navigate the Japanese corner of the internet to get to VIP team's disclaimers and rules, so it's still good to hear your take now even if it's not relaying info from them but about the state of their community :unclebroadsword:
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago oh yeah right. I am a lion, absolutely
you say queen when talking about cats, bitch is a dog word!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: raid shadow legends

Post by Crow »

raid shadow legends
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

https://youtu.be/NABeP5oGygM

So with the addition of being able to make world maps in Mario Maker 2, is the option on the table of playing map packs that known hackers in the talkhaus or other smw community might make?
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Aside from the fact that there's probably still some lingering bad blood towards the SMM franchise... that kind of requires a recording solution.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

what????

(meaning: i really don't think anyone has a problem with mario maker)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

raekuul wrote: 4 years ago Aside from the fact that there's probably still some lingering bad blood towards the SMM franchise...
...what?

Also, it would require a Nintendo Online subscription, wouldn't it?