(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: request grab-bag

Post by thatguyif »

SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago This video is unavailable
:(

For your consideration (also on Steam)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

This is why it helps to have some description in text for these kinds of posts. If it's just a video link and nothing else, there's no content in the post that you can search, and if the video goes down you would not be able to identify what it was about.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

thatguyif wrote: 2 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago This video is unavailable
:(

It was on LoadingReadyRun's Talking Sim Stream recently and boy is it a trip

edit: also the fact raocow has yet to play henry stickmin is another issue in and of itself
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I request a one-shot, in the style of Donkey Kong Jr. Math, of this anomaly:

Punch Ball Mario Bros.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

raocow, ¿have you e’er played any WarioWare games?
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

surprisingly, not really! they are definitely something I'm interested in though
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Oh yeh wariowarw definitely seems right up your alley!
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 2 years ago raocow, ¿have you e’er played any WarioWare games?
more like ARRioware amirite
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Remember 17.5, that official Touhou platformer?

Well, it's supposedly releasing by the end of the month.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

ahh no there are too many games not now
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm guessing it will take a while to make an English patch for Gouyoku Ibun since it's on a new engine so that will give you time to make peace with the world.

Though, by all accounts it's less a platformer and more a single player version of the fighting games, with some platforming elements during the fights.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago Remember 17.5, that official Touhou platformer?

zun didn't draw this did he
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago
Grounder wrote: 2 years ago Remember 17.5, that official Touhou platformer?

zun didn't draw this did he
Obviously not. Like his art or not, this looks nothing at all like it.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Tasofro games don't have ZUNart, though who does the art varies from game to game. This particular game's art is done by one Tokiame, a long-time contributor to the supplemental print works. Though I must say for ZUN's part, he has gotten quite good recently. Just look at Sanae in the newest game:

TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Donut wrote: 2 years agoThough I must say for ZUN's part, he has gotten quite good recently. Just look at Sanae in the newest game:

OH no no no, i'm not saying he's bad at all. i'm not sure if the game genres being more pixel-based than hand-drawn based would vibe with his "high resolution" style, but i really do want to see him tackle a non-shmup game's variety of poses... which may be why he doesn't do them lol
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

why not add another long-awaited metroidvania to the "just released" list

TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Voltgloss wrote: 2 years ago why not add another long-awaited metroidvania to the "just released" list

soldexus walked so axiom verge could fly
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

this was posted in the spotzone and i kinda don't want to forget this

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Nice Chaotix

This isn't necessarily a request considering the series going on, but I stumbled onto this

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Sonic Omens, isn't that the one that... ah, yep.

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

It doesn't get any more blatant than that. What are they thinking will happen?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"That means no more fangames!" Yes, just like how there are famously no Mario fangames anymore, at all. I post, on the talkhaus.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote: 2 years ago "That means no more fangames!" Yes, just like how there are famously no Mario fangames anymore, at all. I post, on the talkhaus.

but sure sorry for worrying about the safety of the sonic fangame scene before a sega official who runs the sonic twitter actually spoke
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Thanks for @ing me to tell me literally nothing
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I mean, I wasn't trying to be alarmist. I just shared the Sonic Adventure Central tweets because I remember seeing them at the time and I think they sum up the situation with Omens decently well.

With that said, Nintendo (not The Pokemon Company, Nintendo) does tend to only go after fangames that either are monetized, seem particularly damaging to their brands/profits, or are remakes of flagship games or related to projects they're currently working on. They do maintain an official statement of no tolerance as a deterrent, but tend to look the other way as long as they don't consider a fan game a particularly egregious violation and aren't forced to acknowledge it because of borderline-mainstream coverage.

From what I've seen, Sega takes the same general approach but is more lenient overall for that last category and actively encourages non-commercial fan projects. I don't think it's particularly unreasonable for fans to be worried about pushing their luck and jeopardizing that goodwill given that, in the worst case scenarios,
These companies are brutal about protecting their IP. The reason you never hear about it? All settlements come with an NDA that makes it so no one can write or talk about it.

Free does not mean not infringing. Not charging for your game is not a loophole to not getting sued. Under statutory damages, each infringing asset is potentially $150,000 in damages. Don't get sued into oblivion for your free fan or "parody" game.

Fair use and Parody are not rights, they are defenses. Nothing is either until a judge says it is, which will cost about $75,000-$150,000 on average through a small/mid size law firm.
Realistically, with Katie Chrzanowski's response and Nintendo's tendency to start with Cease and Desists rather than go directly to court, I don't think anyone's lives have been ruined for making a Nintendo or Sonic fangame -- in fact, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that one of the AM2R devs got a level design job at Moon Studios (the Ori devs) from their work on reimagining SR388! And at this point I'm not sure whether Sonic Omens is even still in development considering the last update on their gamejolt page was May 14th, so whether or not it posed a substantial risk to the Sonic fangame scene in the first place, it shouldn't be a problem for at least the near future.

More than that, though, I just think it's not worth engaging with a project like Omens on a matter of principle, no matter how ambitious it might be. Like, ultimately it's raocow's decision which games he plays, but the Omens devs knowingly and repeatedly try to monetize their project against the terms of the IP owner and general etiquette/consensus of the scene, which is, at the very least, a jerk move. Why reward that behavior with an LP when he could be giving that attention and energy to devs that have the owner's/original creators' go-ahead?

For example, one of the literal hundreds of Touhou fangames on Steam.

On that note, when was the last Touhou fangame LP? Has there been one since New Super Marisa Land over a year ago?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)